PDA

View Full Version : cant get ethernet to work

aidy048
19-01-2005, 22:46
hi, bear with me I will get this right,
I have been told ethernet is better than usb?, so I read a few guides and tryed a few of them none worked, I have a ethernet port and have tried this procedure.....

Shut down the operating system, and power off the PC.
Power off the cable modem.
Unplug USB cable from both cable modem and PC.
Connect cable modem's ethernet port to PC's ethernet port (usually with a straight-through ethernet cable (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ethernet.html#xover)).
Power on cable modem, wait for it to finish booting, with all LEDs in normal condition.
Power on PC.
it didnt work? now I am stumped on what to try

maverick
19-01-2005, 23:18
Hi and welcome :tu:

What version of windows are you using.
Does the enet light on modem flash when connected and pc on.
Check what ip address you are getting.

Just a couple of things to try.

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 23:22
Are you running any firewalls at all?

Can you access the Cable Modem's configiuration page from your browser?

Try typing 192.168.100.1 into your internet browser. I think that's the right address anyway.

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:32
here is a the error messages i am getting

A faulty or non-functional adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physically plug it back in:

USB Cable Modem 351000

Click the 'Fix' button to correct this problem.

Error Code :23

Broadband Installer has determined that you have a malfunctioning network adapter in your computer.

To fix this problem, you can remove (preferred) or disable this adapter. If you are not able to remove the adapter, then you can disable

A faulty or non-functional adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physically plug it back in:

USB Cable Modem 351000

Click the 'Fix' button to correct this problem.
ps thanks for the welcome!!

I am using win xp

yes I use zonealarm, no ethernet lights either?

Marge
19-01-2005, 23:33
Sounds like you're running the CD there, you don't need to do that as the modem will already be registered.

Exit from the CD, take it out of the drive and use it as a coaster. Do everything you did previously again and it should work.

Tezcatlipoca
19-01-2005, 23:33
Are you sure the ethernet port works OK?

Also, you don't need to use the ntl CD to install the connection again, as I assume you have already previously registered the connection back when you first connected using USB. *All* you should need to do is follow the steps in your 1st post. Also, it may help to uninstall the USB drivers for the cable modem.

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 23:35
Would it be worth using Add/Remove programs to uninstall all the junk that the CD previously installed?

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:37
Sounds like you're running the CD there, you don't need to do that as the modem will already be registered.

Exit from the CD, take it out of the drive and use it as a coaster. Do everything you did previously again and it should work.
tried that didnt work?

Are you sure the ethernet port works OK?

Also, you don't need to use the ntl CD to install the connection again, as I assume you have already previously registered the connection back when you first connected using USB. *All* you should need to do is follow the steps in your 1st post. Also, it may help to uninstall the USB drivers for the cable modem.
I removed all usb drivers and searched for usbcm files on my computer it found none so I tried the ethernet cable but still nothing.

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 23:39
Have you uninstalled the drivers as per this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22822

Also, might be worth checking that your network adaptor is enabled.

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on the icon for your ethernet adaptor and see if there is an option that says "enable" if there is then you should select this option.

maverick
19-01-2005, 23:39
go into control panel and network connections.
Do you have a local area connection in there.
Does it say cable unplugged,connected or disabled?

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 23:40
Oops, just read the bit you added to your last post regarding uninstalling the drivers.

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:44
go into control panel and network connections.
Do you have a local area connection in there.
Does it say cable unplugged,connected or disabled?
yes I have three area connections due to my messing around ahem!!,
1)local area connection 6 network cable unplugged nvidia nforce mcp networking controller

2)local area connection 7 connected usb cable modem 351000

3) 1394connection 4 connected 1394 net adapter

ian@huth
19-01-2005, 23:45
Is the driver for the ethernet port installed and is the device showing as working OK in device manager? Try a different ethernet cable if you have one handy or can borrow one.

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:47
Have you uninstalled the drivers as per this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22822

Also, might be worth checking that your network adaptor is enabled.

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on the icon for your ethernet adaptor and see if there is an option that says "enable" if there is then you should select this option.
yes I read from that post and followed the instructions.
network adapter is enabled.

Is the driver for the ethernet port installed and is the device showing as working OK in device manager? Try a different ethernet cable if you have one handy or can borrow one.
yes it is fine in device manager, I am using the cable I got with the ntl modem, it is the first time I have used it as my last computer didnt have an ethernet port

maverick
19-01-2005, 23:47
yes I have three area connections due to my messing around ahem!!,
1)local area connection 6 network cable unplugged nvidia nforce mcp networking controller

Remove usb connect enet,reboot modem and pc,check what ip you get with the enet and post back.

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:48
Remove usb connect enet,reboot modem and pc,check what ip you get with the enet and post back.

check what ip you get with the enet and post back, how do I do that? through the browser window?

maverick
19-01-2005, 23:50
back to network connections double click on the enet connection click support at the top.

aidy048
19-01-2005, 23:51
back to network connections double click on the enet connection click support at the top.
ok will try that now but the last time I tried that it was just blank

maverick
19-01-2005, 23:54
the one your interested in is nvidia nforce mcp networking controller
check it does not say unplugged when it is connected,it should either say connected disabled or limited connectivity.Whatever it says check the ip address.

aidy048
20-01-2005, 00:08
the one your interested in is nvidia nforce mcp networking controller
check it does not say unplugged when it is connected,it should either say connected disabled or limited connectivity.Whatever it says check the ip address.
no nothing still says unplugged,

and no ip address

Raistlin
20-01-2005, 00:11
Please don't take this the wrong way.....

But..... You have got both ends of the cable plugged in haven't you? I mean, one end into the ethernet port and the other into your cable modem?

And are you using the cable that came with the CM?

aidy048
20-01-2005, 00:13
yPlease don't take this the wrong way.....

But..... You have got both ends of the cable plugged in haven't you? I mean, one end into the ethernet port and the other into your cable modem?
ha ha yes both ends plugged in, believe it or not I am in the middle of doing a comptia A+ course just started on networking thats what made me want to plug it in through ethernet. yes am using the cable that came with it, a black cable

Raistlin
20-01-2005, 00:15
Sorry, had to ask.....

Try checking your ZoneAlarm logs to see if you are getting any hits in there that might signify blocked networking attempts.

Seti
20-01-2005, 06:55

Ok firstly how many other connecitons have you got ??

are you routered ? (Please say no I hate routers)

You are going to need to disable the USB connections is you haven't done so already. Do this by going into start control panel and network connections. Look for the USB and right click. Do unistall on it and then ok. The same with ANYTHING ELSE you have on there.

Then REMOVE the ethernet cable from your computer and power down.

Before you reconnect plug the ethernet cable back in. Let it find the network adapter, drivers etc.

Back to network connections. Right click on the only network connection that shouold be there now. click on install and client. Take out anything that doesn't say "client for microsoft netowrks" and Tcp/ip they are the only two you should have checked.

Make sur eyou have the right cable in the right place. Daft I know but I once went to fix a machine that had used the usb cable in the ethernet port !! Don't ask me how he did it I don't know :)

If that doesn't work then its either the network card or the cable thats broken. But from what you say it appears that you have too many LAN connections and the computer is confused over which to use. Let us know how you go.

Sian

aidy048
20-01-2005, 09:19
Ok firstly how many other connecitons have you got ??

are you routered ? (Please say no I hate routers)

You are going to need to disable the USB connections is you haven't done so already. Do this by going into start control panel and network connections. Look for the USB and right click. Do unistall on it and then ok. The same with ANYTHING ELSE you have on there.

Then REMOVE the ethernet cable from your computer and power down.

Before you reconnect plug the ethernet cable back in. Let it find the network adapter, drivers etc.

Back to network connections. Right click on the only network connection that shouold be there now. click on install and client. Take out anything that doesn't say "client for microsoft netowrks" and Tcp/ip they are the only two you should have checked.

Make sur eyou have the right cable in the right place. Daft I know but I once went to fix a machine that had used the usb cable in the ethernet port !! Don't ask me how he did it I don't know :)

If that doesn't work then its either the network card or the cable thats broken. But from what you say it appears that you have too many LAN connections and the computer is confused over which to use. Let us know how you go.

Sian
no I havent got a router, will try your advice now, thankyou

aidy048
20-01-2005, 10:02
nope didnt work, also it wouldnt let me remove the 1394 connection which is called 1394 adapter.

ian@huth
20-01-2005, 10:10
nope didnt work, also it wouldnt let me remove the 1394 connection which is called 1394 adapter.

That is a firewire connection.

Have you tried another ethernet cable yet?

aidy048
20-01-2005, 10:57
That is a firewire connection.

Have you tried another ethernet cable yet?
no will post back when I have got one

why would the firewire be in the network connections?

ian@huth
20-01-2005, 11:40
no will post back when I have got one

why would the firewire be in the network connections?

Firewire can be used to network two computers together. There is something about it in a networking article at http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Networking.htm

What service packs have you installed for XP Home and what type of cable modem do you have?

aidy048
20-01-2005, 14:22
Firewire can be used to network two computers together. There is something about it in a networking article at http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Networking.htm

What service packs have you installed for XP Home and what type of cable modem do you have? service packs all updated up to service pack 2.
ntl home 100 ambit.

maverick
20-01-2005, 14:25
Just to backtrack a bit,you have usb cable out,ethernet cable in but it still says unplugged for your enet connection,and the enet light on modem is comming on.

aidy048
20-01-2005, 14:28
Just to backtrack a bit,you have usb cable out,ethernet cable in but it still says unplugged for your enet connection,and the enet light on modem is comming on.
unplugged usb, put ethernet cable in, there is no light coming on for ethernet.

maverick
20-01-2005, 14:30
unplugged usb, put ethernet cable in, there is no light coming on for ethernet.

Ok then its either the cable or the ethernet port on modem,if you can get a cable first to try if this fails contact tech support to report a fault with the modem.

aidy048
20-01-2005, 14:33
one thing I must add is that I have never been able to connect the cablemodem properly with windows xp through usb, it gets to the point where you have to plug usb cable in and gives an error code after xp has loaded drivers, but when I have cancelled installation the internet has run fine, but I have to manually configure outlook express.

maverick
20-01-2005, 14:37
Its sounds like you are doing a full reinstall using the ntl installer cd,to be honest I would only use that disc for the drivers nothing else.

Easiest way to reinstall is to load the ntl disc,cancell the install screen then plug the usb cable in and just follow the add hardware wizard.

aidy048
20-01-2005, 14:40
Its sounds like you are doing a full reinstall using the ntl installer cd,to be honest I would only use that disc for the drivers nothing else.

Easiest way to reinstall is to load the ntl disc,cancell the install screen then plug the usb cable in and just follow the add hardware wizard.
I think thats what I have had to do because xp just wont run the install disc, I have let the windows hardware wizard install the drivers, would it affect the ethernet connection though?

maverick
20-01-2005, 14:44
No usb and enet are 2 completely different connections,I have never come across usb drivers interfering with ethernet,in fact I regularly tell cmr,s to switch from usb to enet without uninstalling any drivers.
The problem you have is network cable unplugged,its not even detecting the cable plugged in,this points more to a hardware failure.

aidy048
20-01-2005, 15:04
I will post back when I get the cable later, thanks everybody for your time and patience!!

aidy048
21-01-2005, 10:02
No usb and enet are 2 completely different connections,I have never come across usb drivers interfering with ethernet,in fact I regularly tell cmr,s to switch from usb to enet without uninstalling any drivers.
The problem you have is network cable unplugged,its not even detecting the cable plugged in,this points more to a hardware failure.

well I feel a complete idiot, the cable I got from ntl was the wrong one, went to a friends house who had just had broadband fitted took one look at his cable and realised I had been plugging the wrong sort of cable in, got a cat 5 cable this morning, put it in, booted windows, switched zonealarm off, and hey presto it's working!, the cable I was using was like telephone wire with two ethernet connections? does ethernet run faster than usb because it seems a lot faster?

thanks to everybody for your help

Nemesis
21-01-2005, 10:21
Try removing the Ethernet controller from the Hardware manager, reboot and let it find it again. This should reinstall the drivers.

If that doesn't do anything, try upgrading the drivers.

maverick
21-01-2005, 14:41
well I feel a complete idiot, the cable I got from ntl was the wrong one, went to a friends house who had just had broadband fitted took one look at his cable and realised I had been plugging the wrong sort of cable in, got a cat 5 cable this morning, put it in, booted windows, switched zonealarm off, and hey presto it's working!, the cable I was using was like telephone wire with two ethernet connections? does ethernet run faster than usb because it seems a lot faster?

thanks to everybody for your help

Right thats it,I been pulling my hair out with this one whats left of it,you owe me a pint LOL. :D

Glad its all sorted now,I find that ethernet is more stable and less power hungry so it will seem faster.

aidy048
21-01-2005, 18:18
Right thats it,I been pulling my hair out with this one whats left of it,you owe me a pint LOL. :D

Glad its all sorted now,I find that ethernet is more stable and less power hungry so it will seem faster.
ha ha lol, will a bottle of hair growth do!!

maverick
21-01-2005, 22:51
Thanks for that but I think I am past that stage lol.

atlantic-crossin
22-01-2005, 02:49
I havent read thru all the posts so you may or may not have already been advised this.

If you have an ONBOARD ethernet adapter or internal you may find that it is dissabled on your BIOS

To access your BIOS when your computer is turned on you will see something along these lines "Press DEL to setup" or similar with different keys, usualy F1, DEL, HOME, ESC

If the BIOS is password protected please check with your administrator, Manufacturer, retail store purchased from or friend

Enter the password and check with system settings if the Ethernet adapter or LAN (Local Area network) is active

Be sure to save your settings before exiting the BIOS