PDA

View Full Version : Longleat - Will My Loved One Survive?

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 18:53
Hi Guys,

My new GF just broke the news to me that she would like to go to Longleat now, other than the fact that it's about a 5 hour drive away, there are a couple of things that are bothering me.....

In order to see the animals am I right in thinking that I will have to drive around the park in my car?

Also, I've heard horror stories about people going in with cars that hava ll of their bits attached and then leaving with cars that have been significantly streamlined. Is this true or is my beloved car going to be safe? :monkey:

If somebody could tell me what sort of things are there and how the whole thing works I would appreciate it. Is it worth a visit? Is it worth the long drive (we'll probably end up having to stay over somewhere while we're down there)?

Cheers guys.

Bifta
19-01-2005, 19:49
I remember having windscreen wipers and a car aerial ripped off by the baboons (or whatever they were) at Windsor Safari Park, I went to Longleat years ago and it was a bit tedious tbh, I certainly wouldn't consider driving for 5 hours to visit it again .. it could have changed though.

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 19:49
Hmm, shame.

She's kinda got her heart set on it - and what the lady wants.....

Bifta
19-01-2005, 19:50
Hmm, shame.

She's kinda got her heart set on it - and what the lady wants.....

Your best bet would be to ring Longleat and ask them whether you have to drive around it or not, you could also enquire as to whether the place is open out of season.

edit: The safari park etc re-opens on the 12th Feb and you could always use this instead of your car

http://www.longleat.co.uk/attractions/safari-boats.asp

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 19:54
They're not open again now until the middle of February.

It would appear that the only circumstances that you can get away with not driving round is if you go there via public transport, in which case there is some sort of Safari bus that you can ride on all the way round.

Nice link to the boats but I don't think you get to see the whole park that way.

Paul
19-01-2005, 20:15
It's about 10 years since I went but ...Yes you drive around, that's the point of it.

It's the monkeys that pull your car to pieces and you can choose to bypass them.

We were able to stop and get out in some places (like where the giraffes were).

Theodoric
19-01-2005, 22:09
<Snip>
Also, I've heard horror stories about people going in with cars that have all of their bits attached and then leaving with cars that have been significantly streamlined. Is this true or is my beloved car going to be safe? <Snip>
Never mind the car's bits. I'd be more concerned about having all your bits still attached when you leave. Don't step out of the car. :)

Raistlin
19-01-2005, 22:29
Never mind the car's bits. I'd be more concerned about having all your bits still attached when you leave. Don't step out of the car. :)

I'm beginning to think that if I don't take here there I may not even get into the car with my bits intact. Thanks for the advice though :D

gary_580
19-01-2005, 22:43
I remember having windscreen wipers and a car aerial ripped off by the baboons (or whatever they were) at Windsor Safari Park, I went to Longleat years ago and it was a bit tedious tbh, I certainly wouldn't consider driving for 5 hours to visit it again .. it could have changed though.

Your confused, that was Derry on a Friday night :D

nffc
19-01-2005, 23:06
If you keep your wits and keep driving safari parks are perfectly safe.

Most of the problems are when one stops and gawps at the animals.