PDA

View Full Version : Going on a trip need some advice

MadGamer
18-01-2005, 19:22
Right, im going on a trip to Euro Disney with a group of YR11 students and most of them are going to take some sort of music players to listen to their tunes on. Now rather than take my Ipod i thought about a Personal CD Player. I found this one on the Argos site which i thought might be ideal. I dont want to take my Ipod as its expensive and also if it gets misplaced etc.

Heres the CD Player:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106009&clickfrom=image

Paul K
18-01-2005, 19:25
If it does the job and saves you losing your Ipod then why not? I would take extra batteries though as those battery life numbers are often "in ideal circumstances" ;)

MadGamer
18-01-2005, 19:27
If it does the job and saves you losing your Ipod then why not? I would take extra batteries though as those battery life numbers are often "in ideal circumstances" ;) wow that was a quick reply. The staff that will be going n the trip do usually advise you to take replacement batteries, with you, so i think i will go for that one.

LSainsbury
18-01-2005, 19:35
Ohh just take the ipod and look after it! You'll miss it otherwise!!

Russ
18-01-2005, 19:40
Just a tip - don't call it EuroDisney, it hasn't been called that in years. It's now DisneyLand Paris ;) :D

AndrewJ
18-01-2005, 19:44
LOL take the Ipod trust me the lifetime of batteries on cd players wont last.. you will need too many batteries..

Graham F
18-01-2005, 20:08
have a good time :D

Halcyon
18-01-2005, 20:40
That Cd player will do you fine for your journey and if it breaks then atleeast its not as much as an Ipod is.
Take a couple spare batteries and all is good.
Nows the time to burn yourself a few compilations of your fave CD's too.
Have a nice trip.

Paul K
18-01-2005, 21:09
Just a tip - don't call it EuroDisney, it hasn't been called that in years. It's now DisneyLand Paris ;) :D
I should think it's been called worse ;)

Charlie_Bubble
18-01-2005, 22:14
My advice, if it's anything like the one in Florida, sneak a couple of beers in. Half way round, in blazing mid 30s heat I was gasping for a cold beer, but being Disney the nearest they had was root beer!

Maggy
18-01-2005, 22:18
My advice, if it's anything like the one in Florida, sneak a couple of beers in. Half way round, in blazing mid 30s heat I was gasping for a cold beer, but being Disney the nearest they had was root beer!

Tsk tsk! encouraging a 16 year old to drink alcohol. :nono:

You stick to bottled water Wayne. ;)

Theodoric
18-01-2005, 22:20
Do the French deport you if you call it by the wrong name? :)

Maggy
18-01-2005, 22:23
Do the French deport you if you call it by the wrong name? :)

Come on you know how touchy they are about not using English or American words and therefore made up the most cack handed words for things like computer or TV.

I wonder what they call MP3 players? :)

Charlie_Bubble
18-01-2005, 22:33

What's the drinking age in France, probably 16. :)

Richard M
18-01-2005, 23:03
Going on a trip need some advice

Take beer, lots of.

Graham M
18-01-2005, 23:07
Come on you know how touchy they are about not using English or American words and therefore made up the most cack handed words for things like computer or TV.

I wonder what they call MP3 players? :)

Jouer de Mp3?

My French is terrible but just a guess ? :D

homealone
18-01-2005, 23:27
whatever - ;)

Wayne, you will be gutted if you get your ipod nicked/lost - so take the cd player, but only copies of the disks, so you don't lose them, either...

- to be honest if you are headphoned, you can't hear what the girls are saying - listen to them, instead ;) :angel:

AndrewJ
18-01-2005, 23:29
LOL, unless your headphones are huge dj ones,,make sure they looks smart enough for the French ladies, things could get interesting then. :D

Matthew
18-01-2005, 23:29
They actually let you go on trips, we have only just been allowed to have a non school uniform day due to health and safety.

nffc
19-01-2005, 00:02
They actually let you go on trips, we have only just been allowed to have a non school uniform day due to health and safety.

And why the **** has what you WEAR got anything to do with health and safety?

[Not aimed directly at you, but more your school]

Matthew
19-01-2005, 07:43
Yeah tell me about it. Apparently it is if you are wearing something that stands out it could be a distraction to others and therefore they could not be fully aware of what is happening which could lead to an accident or something like that.

It's stupid. The school needs to live a little once in a while. Lessons have to continue as normal as well but thats another issue.

nffc
19-01-2005, 08:07
Yeah tell me about it. Apparently it is if you are wearing something that stands out it could be a distraction to others and therefore they could not be fully aware of what is happening which could lead to an accident or something like that.

It's stupid. The school needs to live a little once in a while. Lessons have to continue as normal as well but thats another issue.

And do they realise it's probably more likely that you walk out of the gate at the end of the day and get flattened by a bus, than that utter diatribe?

Your school sounds silly.

Damien
19-01-2005, 08:28

Yep. MMake sure its not see though (like perrier bottles! french n'all) then you can hide the booze inside the bottle!

Using the power sander and someone comes by with a intresting item of clothing?

zoombini
19-01-2005, 08:53
Of course, one that plays MP3's will enable you to have an awful lot more tracks per CD to listen too.

Halcyon
19-01-2005, 11:37
Jouer de Mp3?

My French is terrible but just a guess ? :D

"Lecteurs Mp3" is what most people say or just the name of it, eg. Ipod.

Its like "Lecteurs DVD" or "Lecteurs CD".

"Lecteurs" means player, so they call it a "Player of mp3".

SMHarman
19-01-2005, 12:01
erm save your money, check your iPod is properly covered on your parents or whoevers home insurance and take it with you. Thats what I would do, otherwise you would never use anything of value.
Your mobile phone is probably of more value as if that is stolen they can run up big bills, at least if an iPod is stolen the loss is limited to the replacement value.

bucketbakereturn
19-01-2005, 12:01
Can't see the benefit of takin a cd player, true i had my 3gen 15G nicked/lost (really not sure which it was such a pro job) whilst on hol in Portugal but the house insurance, yes house not travel covered it, paid the excess and now i have a 4gen 40G :). All the tunes were on the pc which didn't stop me 'loading' ;) more, and though the wife and i really missed it i'm glad i got the new one. Get an iskin and don't use the white headphones, plus u could maybe get a pir of travel speakers relatively cheap and there u have ur own mobile disco. Was at Disneyland Paris a few years ago, enjoyed it then and plan to take the neice and nephew soon, hope it goes well.

Chris
19-01-2005, 12:42
Just take the iPod with you!!! That's what you bought the thing for isn't it? If you worry about stuff getting nicked as soon as you leave your house, you'll never go anywhere, or if you do you'll never take anything with you. Just do as SMH says and make sure it's on your mum and dad's house insurance. And don't forget the charger unit!

AndrewJ
19-01-2005, 13:26
:tu: So agreed.

Why buy a portable player if you never use it. :rolleyes:

Chris
19-01-2005, 14:06
:tu: So agreed.

Why buy a portable player if you never use it. :rolleyes:

Exactly. And another thought, Wayne. Even if your iPod is not covered on your parents' house insurance, go and buy some holiday travel insurance for yourself. It will almost certainly cost you less than buying a new portable CD player to take with you. In the highly unlikely event of your iPod getting nicked, you can make a claim.

Salu
19-01-2005, 14:22
MP3= Lecteurs - Em Pay Troi ??

SMHarman
19-01-2005, 14:28
Exactly. And another thought, Wayne. Even if your iPod is not covered on your parents' house insurance, go and buy some holiday travel insurance for yourself. It will almost certainly cost you less than buying a new portable CD player to take with you. In the highly unlikely event of your iPod getting nicked, you can make a claim.
However many have an upper limit to individual valuable items. Not sure which one you have but a 40/60GB could be above that.
This would also be a good option as the excess is likely to be lower.

Shaun
19-01-2005, 14:34
Wayne try www.moneysupermarket.com for travel insurance if your home policy doesn't cover it, they have some real bargains, but check exactly what you get for your money.

Oh and stop worrying. :)

MadGamer
19-01-2005, 16:06

What's the drinking age in France, probably 16. :) Ask Damien. :D

nffc
19-01-2005, 16:21
Who said you have to be over the legal drinking age to drink anyway?

Damien
19-01-2005, 16:43
You are at legal age to drink at 16 in france (i think). They dont have problems with drunken yobs that we do either.

But the school will not give you permission because there may be others in your group who are not 18. Because of the UK requirement, and because the school is responsible for you

Stuart
19-01-2005, 16:49
I should think it's been called worse ;)

Apparently usually by the French..

nffc
19-01-2005, 23:08
You are at legal age to drink at 16 in france (i think). They dont have problems with drunken yobs that we do either.

But the school will not give you permission because there may be others in your group who are not 18. Because of the UK requirement, and because the school is responsible for you

Why not- if you're above the age surely that's your problem, and your choice, not theirs.

Stuart
20-01-2005, 09:35
Why not- if you're above the age surely that's your problem, and your choice, not theirs.

Actually, legally, I believe they are responsible.

Mind you, last time I went on a school trip, we just waited until the teachers all went to a pub, then went into another one..

nffc
20-01-2005, 12:49

Actually, legally, I believe they are responsible.

Mind you, last time I went on a school trip, we just waited until the teachers all went to a pub, then went into another one..

Surely if you're above the age of responsibility then it doesn't matter though.

The age is 16/18/whatever because that's the age that you're deemed responsible enough to buy it and be responsible for your actions having bought it.

So why would the school be responsible?

MadGamer
04-02-2005, 20:37
Id like to set up an auto responder for my POP3 email, but i havent got a clue how to do it. Can it be done via Outlook Express?