PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router - STB

dwe01
16-01-2005, 23:16
First posting from me.

I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David

nffc
16-01-2005, 23:18
Belkin, Linksys, Netgear- take your pick, they're all good.

daz300
16-01-2005, 23:26
i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .

nffc
16-01-2005, 23:32
i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .

As did mine but it took an age to get it secure.

daz300
16-01-2005, 23:34
i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!;)

Raistlin
16-01-2005, 23:40
I use a Linksys one (as per my signature).

Very reliable, nice and easy to set up, and the security configuration is a breeze.

nffc
16-01-2005, 23:47
i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!;)

Oops, I just have... :P

daz300
16-01-2005, 23:47
:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

zovat
17-01-2005, 17:12
First posting from me.

:welcome:

I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David

As stated, any of the above manufacturers will be fine.(I use the WRTG54 as well)

I would suggest that you clone the MAC address from the existing PC, as the STB requires that you register each MAC address individualy.
This is normally pretty simple (note that this will be the MAC of the ethernet port, not the wireless). and involves connecting to the router through a normal ethernet cable, and then clone the MAC onto the router.

HTH

dwe01
18-01-2005, 05:00
Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?

Chris1973
18-01-2005, 07:27
Hi David,

Might be worth giving actiontec a look, I use one of their wireless routers and they seem to be reliable. Good luck!

Cheers, Chris. :tu:

JohnHorb
18-01-2005, 07:49
Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?

Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.

zovat
18-01-2005, 09:48
Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.

That is correct - I was merely looking to exclude the MAC address as an issue here (and have seen far too many cases where the reg server is down ;) )

gary_580
18-01-2005, 09:50
I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.

Raistlin
18-01-2005, 09:53
I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.

Had exactly the same problem with this router.

Phoned Linksys Support, moved the frequency to the one which was furthest from default, problem solved.
Wireless devices will (and have to) accept interference from other wireless devices. Sometime a bit of fiddling is necessary.

zovat
18-01-2005, 10:02

I have not seen this - but having done a google - it appears that this is a bug in Windows, rather than a specific linksys issue.

As it turns out, if you use the Microsoft Windows XP SP 1-based Wireless Zero Configuration service to manage your wireless (aka, the "built-in client"), you're probably running into a horrible bug that Microsoft calls "behavior by design." The gist of this is as follows: if your wireless network is set to not broadcast your SSID, Microsoft's wireless manager will periodically drop your non-broadcasting WiFi connection in response to the presence of a broadcasting SSID-based network. You won't fully associate with that network, but the service will pop-up and tell you that there are multiple wireless networks to join, even if you have removed all other networks from your preferred settings (this contradicts Microsoft's report, which says it only affects preferred networks). The upshot of this is that you, the user who changes his default SSID and then sets it to not broadcast (as most security guides, and most hardware setup guides will tell you to do), now gets dropped off your network when you neighbor shows up with his new D-Link wireless router and not only fails to change the SSID from default to something else, but does not turn off broadcasting, either. While many may debate the security benefits of disabling SSID broadcast, it is a practice that is recommended by most manufacturers of wireless products.

The biggest problem seems to be if you hide your SSID - mine is not hidden, as my PDA will not connect if it is (Dell Axim issue), but even when I had it hidden for a month or so, I did not have any problems.

If you feel that the Linksys is not for you, then there are product from Netgear and D-Link that sem to be pretty stable (again, I only comment on those that I know work from either setting up for friends/family, or discussions with other techies on what kit they use.)

HTH

It does appear that they have had some quality issues as well, but I know a large number of people (including myself) who use this router, and have had trouble free use since purchase.

Gareth
18-01-2005, 11:10
Am looking to go wireless pretty soon, so this is useful info re the Linksys WRT54GS - thanks all.

gary_580
18-01-2005, 11:59
Had exactly the same problem with this router.

Phoned Linksys Support, moved the frequency to the one which was furthest from default, problem solved.
Wireless devices will (and have to) accept interference from other wireless devices. Sometime a bit of fiddling is necessary.

my disconnects happen with no pattern, some times every 2-3 mins and other times its once in half an hour. I've tried all the frequencies, ive even tried hacked firmwares but nothing seems to resolve it totally

I have not seen this - but having done a google - it appears that this is a bug in Windows, rather than a specific linksys issue.

Where did you find that? I use XP SP2 btw

zovat
18-01-2005, 13:34
my disconnects happen with no pattern, some times every 2-3 mins and other times its once in half an hour. I've tried all the frequencies, ive even tried hacked firmwares but nothing seems to resolve it totally

Where did you find that? I use XP SP2 btw

here (http://arstechnica.com/guides/askars/wifi-drop.ars)

It may have been fixed by SP2 - but I whouldn't think so..

Have you tried using the wireless drivers supplied with the card ? - This report states that it it the MS wireless drivers that display the issue..

Also do you have the SSID hidden, if so try broadcasting it, and see if the problem continues .

gary_580
18-01-2005, 13:38
here (http://arstechnica.com/guides/askars/wifi-drop.ars)

It may have been fixed by SP2 - but I whouldn't think so..

Have you tried using the wireless drivers supplied with the card ? - This report states that it it the MS wireless drivers that display the issue..

Also do you have the SSID hidden, if so try broadcasting it, and see if the problem continues .

i'm definately using the Linksys drivers for the card. Regarding if SSID is hidden, i dont know and will have to check but i assume it isnt as i have never really changed any of the router settings

bucketbakereturn
18-01-2005, 14:58
i have the 54g myself and have never had a prob even when doing a firmware upgrade, its a great piece of kit. Had installed with SP1 and now SP2, no issues and the SSID (XP Pro SP2 laptop connected wirelessly with nothing less than 80% signal) is hidden though to be fair i have never used the XP wireless wizard to set up my network

gary_580
18-01-2005, 17:13
Just to confirm SSID Broadcast is set to enable

rdhw
18-01-2005, 18:54
i have never really changed any of the router settingsWell, that might be the cause of your problems. You need to set the SSID to a unique string, not leave it at the default "Linksys" or whatever. If you leave it at the default, your laptops etc cannot tell your base station apart from any other base station called "Linksys" in your neighbourhood, and will randomly reconnect to the wrong base station.

Also, visit the Windows Update web site, run a "Custom Install" search, and download any updated drivers for your laptop wireless cards. This can make a big difference.

dwe01
19-01-2005, 07:15
Thanks for all the advice, I'm leaning towards the :
Belkin 54g Wireless Cable/DSL Router (http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/networking/productView.htm?quicklinx=2CS8) any feedback regarding this make and model. I've read extremely polarized views. Belkin have high speed 54g model on the market any views on spending the extra cash.

Another question, sorry, has any one got any experience of some the 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 "pen type" adapters or is best to stick to PCI cards. This will be going into a desktop, with usb round the back.
Thanks

David

gary_580
19-01-2005, 09:10
You need to set the SSID to a unique string, not leave it at the default "Linksys" or whatever. If you leave it at the default, your laptops etc cannot tell your base station apart from any other base station called "Linksys" in your neighbourhood, and will randomly reconnect to the wrong base station.

Also, visit the Windows Update web site, run a "Custom Install" search, and download any updated drivers for your laptop wireless cards. This can make a big difference.

Yes, i had already done both of those.

My point is, once it has connected on boot up it shouldnt be losing its connection and having to reconnect at all.

nffc
19-01-2005, 09:36
PCI cards are better.

gary_580
19-01-2005, 09:42
PCI cards are better.

:confused:

nffc
19-01-2005, 11:20
PCI cards are better.

:confused:
The OP asked whether USB or PCI wireless adapters are better.

Unless you're challenging my assertion...