PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where I could get this done?

Plonking
15-01-2005, 16:03
hi all,

I've almost finished writing my dissertation for uni, and need to get it printed out and then have all the pages bound together.. does anyone know of any chain of shops that might do this? Or what I might have to look up in the phonebook to find the right people?

It's only gonna be 20-30 pages, and I could get it done at uni, but I won't be there again for a few days, so somewhere local would be much better!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

P

Chris W
15-01-2005, 16:14
I've got one of the binders that does it but that probably doesn't help you :p:

iirc they do it in staples, or any local printing shop would be able to do it for you as well)

paulyoung666
15-01-2005, 16:17
I've got one of the binders that does it but that probably doesn't help you :p:

iirc they do it in staples, or any local printing shop would be able to do it for you as well)

kallkwik does it i think , only any good if you have one near you though :disturbd: :D :D

Plonking
15-01-2005, 16:21
thanks guys, i'll have a look into those :tu: greenies for the lot of ya!

i still haven't finished it yet, so i have to be speedy :Yikes: ! it's turned out to be the longest rambing load of nonsense i've ever written! ;)

P

luftys
15-01-2005, 20:41
it's turned out to be the longest rambing load of nonsense i've ever written! ;)

P
Well you should get a good mark for it then :Yikes: Good Luck

Ramrod
15-01-2005, 20:44
hi all,

I've almost finished writing my dissertation for uni, PI studied in Bournemouth as well! The AECC in Boscombe.........going back down there for a course next weekend :)
On topic........yes, any print shop/printer should be able to bind it for you.
edit.....there is probably somewhere on Old Christchurch road or Holdenhurst road.....

Plonking
15-01-2005, 22:02
Well you should get a good mark for it then :Yikes: Good Luck

lol, cheers, i've just finished writing out the bibliography, and realised i used 60 references for it.. that's a record for me! :)

P

Plonking
15-01-2005, 22:06
I studied in Bournemouth as well! The AECC in Boscombe.........going back down there for a course next weekend :)
On topic........yes, any print shop/printer should be able to bind it for you.
edit.....there is probably somewhere on Old Christchurch road or Holdenhurst road.....

hey, cool, although, to confuse things, i go to uni in southampton, but i think i know where you mean ;) i'll be in boscombe next weekend for a birthday party, so make sure you wave out the window :D

i've since found out that staples do binding, for a quarter of the price of binding at uni :tu: and it takes about 2 minutes, not three days, :tu::tu:, although it took about an hour to find that out, and ringing different staples stores, because they kept hanging up on us and not knowing how to use their phone system... :monkey:

P

Ramrod
16-01-2005, 01:31
hey, cool, although, to confuse things, i go to uni in southampton, but i think i know where you mean ;) i'll be in boscombe next weekend for a birthday party, so make sure you wave out the window :D

i've since found out that staples do binding, for a quarter of the price of binding at uni :tu: and it takes about 2 minutes, not three days, :tu::tu:, although it took about an hour to find that out, and ringing different staples stores, because they kept hanging up on us and not knowing how to use their phone system... :monkey:

P
I used to go to Southampton hospital for dissection classes :)

I didn't know that Bournemouth uni had a campus at Southampton :dunce:

Graham
16-01-2005, 17:34
I've almost finished writing my dissertation for uni, and need to get it printed out and then have all the pages bound together.. does anyone know of any chain of shops that might do this? Or what I might have to look up in the phonebook to find the right people?

Try asking at the Students Union, eg ISTR the Portsmouth union actually had a "comb binding" machine to do this.

Paul K
16-01-2005, 17:36
Comb binding a set of work only takes a couple of mins since all you are doing is hole punching the side edge and then inserting the pages into a binding. Don't know why you were told 3 days, here we do them as people wait and I've yet to see them send out for food and drink while they wait ;)

Halcyon
16-01-2005, 17:57
Good luck with it all.
I was writing mine last week. Its a nightmare to get everything done.
Hope it all turns out well for you.

Plonking
17-01-2005, 12:23
cheers everyone, for all your help, advice, and wishes of good luck :D

i've just been to staples and had it all done.. it was all very easy! i had two copies bound, so i have one spare for me as well :) they had this magic machine and made it before my very eyes :tu:

i think my uni said it would take so long, as i expect there is a backlog of other things that need to be bound, printed out, etc. etc., plus the fact that all of the office staff at my uni seem to have three hour lunch breaks ;) !

P

PS: Ramrod: dissection classes ? sounds like fun :D ... also .. i actually commute to uni each day to southampton from bournemouth (1 hr and a half each way).. sorry be being my normal confusing self! :)

AndrewJ
17-01-2005, 13:31
:tu: Have a good time hope you do well. :beer:

quadplay
17-01-2005, 14:05
You've finished??? It's January! I've not even started mine properly yet! :disturbd: :Yikes: ;)

AndrewJ
17-01-2005, 14:16
The s**t has just hit the fan?

Plonking
17-01-2005, 18:30
:tu: Have a good time hope you do well. :beer:

Thanks :) it's always good to get as much luck as possible, lol! :D

You've finished??? It's January! I've not even started mine properly yet! :disturbd: :Yikes: ;)

lol, no this is a portion of what i have to do :) tomorrow i'll hand in 1 x 4,000 word essay and 2 x 2,000 word essays, and then have some exams in the next few weeks, and have to do even more next semester :Yikes: but i wish i was finished though, it would definitely be preferable :tu:

how much have you got to do?

P

quadplay
18-01-2005, 01:57
About 12,000-15,000 words, and a software deliverable.

Stuart
18-01-2005, 02:03
hi all,

It's only gonna be 20-30 pages, and I could get it done at uni, but I won't be there again for a few days, so somewhere local would be much better!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

P

Actually. IIRC, when I was at Uni we had to get our final year dissertations bound at the Uni. They charged £2 per volume. They also insisted on 2 copies (one for each project marker). All very well, but someone I know (not me) had written so much he had to hand in two volumes. :Yikes:

Plonking
18-01-2005, 11:47
About 12,000-15,000 words, and a software deliverable.

That's terrifying! Lol, can I read it when you're done ;) Good luck anyway!

Actually. IIRC, when I was at Uni we had to get our final year dissertations bound at the Uni. They charged £2 per volume. They also insisted on 2 copies (one for each project marker). All very well, but someone I know (not me) had written so much he had to hand in two volumes. :Yikes:

Grr.. i went to hand in mine, and they only needed one copy, but I had printed out two! d'oh! All the same, though, it's not the size of a volume, only 30 pages long... ;)

P

keithwalton
18-01-2005, 12:22
Ah the joys of soton uni disorganisation. At least you have too many copies, not enough would of been a rite pain!
I think faculties tend to be do binding stuff as the print centre, though all of which charge the earth i think to do the silly sticky tape edge binding thing (like all the course books)

Plonking
18-01-2005, 13:37
Ah the joys of soton uni disorganisation. At least you have too many copies, not enough would of been a rite pain!

lol, yeah.. the disorganisation seems to be endless ;) i'm sure there are some good stories you could tell! you're right as well, because, now I have extra copies of the work, that i can let my family see, as before i didn't want them with their hands to grubby everything up :p:

I think faculties tend to be do binding stuff as the print centre, though all of which charge the earth i think to do the silly sticky tape edge binding thing (like all the course books)

sticky tape edge binding for course books? surely not! mine are all done with rusty staples, and the books fall to bits after five minute's use :dozey:

P

keithwalton
19-01-2005, 18:34
Heh over in engineering our 'Blue books' are bound by magic sticky tape, much like you see on cheque books and alike. Seems to work allrite. :) oh the joys of university politics

Plonking
19-01-2005, 19:42
lol, classy stuff! that's, of course, politics with a very small p :P

Damien
19-01-2005, 20:39
lol, cheers, i've just finished writing out the bibliography, and realised i used 60 references for it.. that's a record for me! :)

P

Who or what is a refe-ren-ce? ;)

Stuart
19-01-2005, 20:51

A reference in this case is a quote from another source (Web, scientific paper, book etc) with full details of the author(s), the source it's taken from and how the reader can find the quote if he or she wishes to.

What you give depends on the format of the original source (book, web etc). If it's a book (or Scientific paper) you give the quote in the main text, then Title, Author (in the form surname, firstname), (sometimes) section name and the range of pages the quote is from (e.g. "Forum Etiquette" David, Russell pages 1-20*) as a footnote (or in a seperate section of the Document with a marker linking the two). For a web reference, you replace the page nos with the URL of the webpage.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (which I possibly am, I haven't had to quote references like this for 8 years).

* Note, this paper is made up. I don't think Russ actually has written a paper on Forum Etiquette.

Plonking
19-01-2005, 21:07
scastle has hit the nail on the head :) although, typically, how the references are formatted depends on the academic field you are writing in, and what country you are in. as mine is a psychology essay, i have to write references in the way that psychologists do, with all the full stops, commas, and brackets in the right place (or I lose marks, which always happens) - it's a tedious process, and takes hours to do, so I wrote a php script and form to do it for me, and make it take less time :tu:

just by way of example, the first one in my list looks like this (for a journal article):
Bauer, B., Jolicoeur, P., & Cowan, W. B. (1996). Visual search for colour targets that are or are not linearly separable from distractors. Vision Research, 36, 10, 1439-1465.

It has the author's names, the year it was published, the title of the article, the journal it was published in, the volume no. and issue no. of the journal, and the pages it was in. :)

P

Strzelecki
19-01-2005, 21:38
I've finished one of mine, had to hand it in in december, cost £2.50 to bind and cover it and the union. Got another one to do now though!

Damien
19-01-2005, 21:42
A reference in this case is a quote from another source (Web, scientific paper, book etc) with full details of the author(s), the source it's taken from and how the reader can find the quote if he or she wishes to.

What you give depends on the format of the original source (book, web etc). If it's a book (or Scientific paper) you give the quote in the main text, then Title, Author (in the form surname, firstname), (sometimes) section name and the range of pages the quote is from (e.g. "Forum Etiquette" David, Russell pages 1-20*) as a footnote (or in a seperate section of the Document with a marker linking the two). For a web reference, you replace the page nos with the URL of the webpage.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (which I possibly am, I haven't had to quote references like this for 8 years).

* Note, this paper is made up. I don't think Russ actually has written a paper on Forum Etiquette.

Umm.......I was umm...Kidding....Joke ya'see :erm:

Plonking
19-01-2005, 22:40
I've finished one of mine, had to hand it in in december, cost £2.50 to bind and cover it and the union. Got another one to do now though!

sounds nasty ! what is it you have to do? something interesting i hope ;)

Umm.......I was umm...Kidding....Joke ya'see :erm:

lol, oops :dunce: i should have been paying more attention;)

P

PS: which pitt is it you're quoting in your sig? the elder or the younger?

Halcyon
20-01-2005, 00:24
What is annoying is doing all the formatting. You have to set yourself atleast a day to sort that all out.
We have to refernece according to the "harvard" system supposedly where its author and date or something like that. and then bibliographies, etc.
Then just when you want to go and print, you realise its going to use up twice the amount of paper as you have to double space it.
Ah !!!

Graham
20-01-2005, 01:04

If you copy from one source, that's plagiarism.

If you copy from three sources, that's *research*!

Plonking
20-01-2005, 11:34
What is annoying is doing all the formatting. You have to set yourself atleast a day to sort that all out.
We have to refernece according to the "harvard" system supposedly where its author and date or something like that. and then bibliographies, etc.
Then just when you want to go and print, you realise its going to use up twice the amount of paper as you have to double space it.
Ah !!!

lol, i hear ya loud and clear :D mine took me about four hours for this last piece of work... you have to pace yourself, I kept watching HL2 being played by my other half and distracting myself, so it made it take even longer! ;)

and you're right, it does use up waaaaaaaaaaaayy too much paper!

If you copy from one source, that's plagiarism.

lol can I quote you on that ;)

P

Strzelecki
20-01-2005, 14:40
Dissertation 1 was a Geological mapping project of Cantabria, northern Spain, which was quite interesting and now my other dissertation is for Computer Science and is a WAP upload system for mobiles. Stupid me for doing a Dual Honours degree! May need some of you peoples help in trying out my computer science one, userability testing and all that! I'll be so glad when it's all over.

Graham
20-01-2005, 15:17

lol can I quote you on that ;)

It's not original to me by any means!

Plonking
20-01-2005, 18:33
Dissertation 1 was a Geological mapping project of Cantabria, northern Spain, which was quite interesting and now my other dissertation is for Computer Science and is a WAP upload system for mobiles. Stupid me for doing a Dual Honours degree! May need some of you peoples help in trying out my computer science one, userability testing and all that! I'll be so glad when it's all over.

lol, that is one confusing mix! ;) what is it your doing then- geography and computer science?

It's not original to me by any means!

true, but, as far as I know, it is ;)

P