PDA

View Full Version : *ALL* Speed Upgrade Discussion In Here Please

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

uni
12-01-2005, 10:51
When will the 3meg upgrade be available to the masses?

andrew_wallasey
12-01-2005, 10:53
Sometime this year .... is meant to be Q1 but who knows.

ian@huth
12-01-2005, 10:55
When will the 3meg upgrade be available to the masses?

When its ready, :LOL:

:welcome: to the forums uni.

There has been plenty posted about the new speeds if you look around. Someone will post details of when it is available as soon as it is known.

andygrif
12-01-2005, 11:35
Blimey I've only just got my 750k upgrade...so it will probably be sometime in 2009 for me!

uni
13-01-2005, 09:29
Just wondering. Was gonna try Uk Online and 8meg but can't get it in my area :confused: only 1 meg available.

Jon M
13-01-2005, 09:47
kids today, bah! they don't know they've been born... I was one of the fortunate few with a 64k leased line in the days before BB.. it cost my dad over £5000 a year!

and now people moan if they can't get over 1mbit ;)

Electrolyte01
13-01-2005, 10:20
kids today, bah! they don't know they've been born

:erm:

Halcyon
13-01-2005, 10:35
Talking of upgrades, anyone know where I can check if I've been upgraded as yet as the link is no longer on the NTL site.

etccarmageddon
13-01-2005, 11:25
Have you tried a modem reboot as I believe in some rare cases the upgrade has been done but requied a modem reboot?

uni
13-01-2005, 11:32
kids today, bah! they don't know they've been born... I was one of the fortunate few with a 64k leased line in the days before BB.. it cost my dad over £5000 a year!

and now people moan if they can't get over 1mbit ;)

And I remember when 14k modem was the bizz with a 386 intel :) running windows 3.11 after an upgrade from windows 2 :disturbd:

tomw
13-01-2005, 12:36
has anybody been able to upgrade to the new speed levels yet for the 25 quid offer

TigaSefi
13-01-2005, 12:49
i had a 9600 baud rate and a £600 a quarter bill :-p fun times on
Comp-u-serve

Mick
13-01-2005, 13:05
Talking of upgrades, anyone know where I can check if I've been upgraded as yet as the link is no longer on the NTL site.

Try here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html). :)

has anybody been able to upgrade to the new speed levels yet for the 25 quid offer

Nope, ntl have not yet launched the newer speeds yet. They are coming in the first quarter of 2005 though. :)

jtwn
13-01-2005, 13:07
I'm so glad i was born recently :D

Ken W
13-01-2005, 13:51
i had a 9600 baud rate and a £600 a quarter bill :-p fun times on
Comp-u-serve

I can remember 300 baud rate then I got a new modem and I thoght I was flying at 1200 baud!

Looking back at the comms portion of my phone and Compuserve bill makes the broadband subscription cheap!

Ken

andrew_wallasey
13-01-2005, 13:56
I first got a 300 baud modem in about 1990.

gary_580
13-01-2005, 14:09
I first got a 300 baud modem in about 1990.

You mean to say you waited 28 years!!! 300 Baud modem was invented in 1962

ian@huth
13-01-2005, 14:18
You mean to say you waited 28 years!!! 300 Baud modem was invented in 1962
A few years before that actually, I was using one in the DSIR in 1960. 1962 was the year they became commercially available.

Halcyon
13-01-2005, 14:22
Is this OK ? I was on 150k but I presume I've been upgraded to 300K now:

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:21:11 GMT
1st 128K took 3790 ms = 34584 Bytes/sec = approx 288 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3680 ms = 35617 Bytes/sec = approx 296 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3680 ms = 35617 Bytes/sec = approx 296 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 9500 ms = 13797 Bytes/sec = approx 115 kbits/sec

Hans Gruber
13-01-2005, 14:33
It does kind of show people would be willing to pay the extra needed for an uncapped service. I used to pay a fortune on my modem, but I've tried to block that from memory :D

rmg
14-01-2005, 15:50
According to this guy

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=11313636

The speed increases are happening now and he has confirmed that the caps are not hard?

BS?

--
rmg.

DieDieMyDarling
14-01-2005, 16:41
Having read that whole thread, i'm not sure how kosher the information is.

He gave someone a 5% discount for 12 months, because they had crap speedss for a while? Surely that kind of deal would have to go through a few different departments?

He seems to know his stuff, and people are backing him up, when he says he's done something to fix someone's connnection, but i'm not sure, might be a scam, he's getting a lot of addresses and surnames...

Mick
14-01-2005, 17:13
Is this OK ? I was on 150k but I presume I've been upgraded to 300K now:

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:21:11 GMT
1st 128K took 3790 ms = 34584 Bytes/sec = approx 288 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3680 ms = 35617 Bytes/sec = approx 296 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3680 ms = 35617 Bytes/sec = approx 296 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 9500 ms = 13797 Bytes/sec = approx 115 kbits/sec

I'd say that was just about borderline for a 300K connection. So to answer your question, yes it looks like you have been upgraded. :cool:

Hans Gruber
14-01-2005, 17:17
Having read that whole thread, i'm not sure how kosher the information is.

He gave someone a 5% discount for 12 months, because they had crap speedss for a while? Surely that kind of deal would have to go through a few different departments?

He seems to know his stuff, and people are backing him up, when he says he's done something to fix someone's connnection, but i'm not sure, might be a scam, he's getting a lot of addresses and surnames...

In another thread on that forum he says NTL and Telewest will merge Q3 2005 bringing with it another increase to 4mbit. He seems to know a little too much for an NTL employee... :D

leeswin
14-01-2005, 17:21
i just had an intresting conn - think its rubbish but we will see

just got off the phone from NTL and was informed the upgrades are free but wont be happening until mar - LOL :p: does anyone believe this?

i mereley post the the humor value - unless its true and in that case i apologise.

jtwn
14-01-2005, 17:23
He seems legit. But who could he be if he says he isn't cs and knows this kind of stuff and be able to do all those things?

And anyway, is the before the end of January speculation, or have we got ourselves a leaky insider :scratch:

I say we milk all the info possible from him :D

Chris W
14-01-2005, 17:35
According to this guy

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=11313636

The speed increases are happening now and he has confirmed that the caps are not hard?

BS?

--
rmg.

I can't access those forums... :( could someone copy the post to here for me so i can see what the OP has to say please :)

jtwn
14-01-2005, 17:41
As I work at NTL I thought I might share some knowledge for those who don't know already.

Your broadband speeds are increasing from the end of this month as follows.

300k > 1Mb
750k > 2Mb
1.5Mb> 3Mb

This will stamp out even more lag as people who are downloading on PC will still have enough bandwith to stop others lagging when playing.

For those who know don't flame me, this is for people who didn't know

Not in Q1.

End of this month. Some customers already been upgraded, you can check this by looking at your cable modems config file ;-). If the file name is eg. xtrial (x means speed) then you can see that you have already been done.surely he shouldnt be suggesting this as a method?

I know a few people who have already been upgraded without knowing.

I'll get the info on upload speeds now as I am at work.

(I spend far too much time on here when I should be working)

Ok upload speeds are -

1mb = 128k
2mb = 256k
3mb = 256k

Hope that answers your questions as for caps.

1mb = 5Gb a month
2mb = 30Gb a month
3mb = 40Gb a month

Note - Xbox Live usage does not go towards your monthly usage allowance ;-)

Remember NTL DO NOT enforce these caps and only 0.2% of abusers of service have ever been contacted. You will NEVER be cut off or charged, all NTL do IF they ever contact you is ask you to adjust your usage but they will NOT cut you off or charge.

Just for those who are funny about the caps.

Thats correct dude.

Remember the 30Gb cap is not enforced whatsoever, its merely a guideline that NTL use but rumour in the office says that these caps are being abolished in the near future anyway as too much concern is brought about by them so don't worry about caps. [?]

But your connection will be 2048/256 mate.

I'm lucky as I managed to have my connection tweaked by a 'friend' who works in one of the centres in the country and got an upload speed of 384, so my games I host are lag free and I always play with my PC switched OFF or with no activity.

It depends. I did forget to mention this but here is a tip to avoid any charge for it, IF you are to be charged, like I said though, some people have already been done automatically.

Ring the retentions department once the upgrade is officially done (I'll let you all know) and you can just say I want to cancel my broadband account if I have to pay this admin fee as other ISP's will do it for free.

The number is 08000520511

Reason being is that we aren't meant to be telling you anything.

Here a bit of proof. Discount code are on system already.

CT ATUFD (A)TU + FREE DTV 12mths
CT A1BPF (A)BB Plus FREE 1 mth

**CT A1B1M (A)1MB BB FREE 1 Month**
**CT A1B2M (A)2MB BB FREE 1 Month**
**CT A1B3M (A)3MB BB FREE 1 Month**

CT A1CDL (A)DTV Dual Fam FREE 1mth

Them codes are ready on the system for when it goes ahead later this month. Trust me!

Just a selection of posts :) I think this guy needs to join cf :x

DieDieMyDarling
14-01-2005, 17:50
he's also claiming to be able to fix peoples connections etc. Resetting modems, then even told one guy that he'd sorted a 5% discount for the next 12 months, on his account, becuase of slow speeds he'd had.

All sounds too good to be true. The stuff he knows only becomes important, if it's true, we have no way of telling if it is or not. So he might just be some 14 year old collecting post codes. :erm:

Chris W
14-01-2005, 17:52
he's also claiming to be able to fix peoples connections etc. Resetting modems, then even told one guy that he'd sorted a 5% discount for the next 12 months, on his account, becuase of slow speeds he'd had.

All sounds too good to be true. The stuff he knows only becomes important, if it's true, we have no way of telling if it is or not. So he might just be some 14 year old collecting post codes. :erm:

well... if he fixes connection problems then he must be in tech support so can't give discounts to people...

and if he can give discounts to people then he must work in customer service or retentions or similar... and therefore probably won't be fixing people's connection problems ;)

paulyoung666
14-01-2005, 17:55
well... if he fixes connection problems then he must be in tech support so can't give discounts to people...

and if he can give discounts to people then he must work in customer service or retentions or similar... and therefore probably won't be fixing people's connection problems ;)

can anyone else smell that funny smell floating around this thread :Yikes: :D :D

jtwn
14-01-2005, 18:20
What about this?

CT ATUFD (A)TU + FREE DTV 12mths
CT A1BPF (A)BB Plus FREE 1 mth

**CT A1B1M (A)1MB BB FREE 1 Month**
**CT A1B2M (A)2MB BB FREE 1 Month**
**CT A1B3M (A)3MB BB FREE 1 Month**

CT A1CDL (A)DTV Dual Fam FREE 1mth

Maybe somebody higher up? Or a badboy employee doing things he shouldn't, getting favours off other employees?

Stop It
14-01-2005, 20:11
End of this month. Some customers already been upgraded, you can check this by looking at your cable modems config file ;-). If the file name is eg. xtrial (x means speed) then you can see that you have already been done.

I know a few people who have already been upgraded without knowing

Strange one this, end of this month and no announcement? yeah, ok, (even the last upgrade was offically announced a month in advance).

Even stranger how he says people have been upgraded, If its like the one just gone its done ubr by ubr (Isnt it? :P) And so he could say where has been done (like the first lot last time was up near manchester wasnt it?), Ive got no evidence to disbelieve him, but theres not much to back it up either.

Ok upload speeds are -

1mb = 128k
2mb = 256k
3mb = 256k

Say what???!!! Thats weird...

Hope that answers your questions as for caps.

1mb = 5Gb a month
2mb = 30Gb a month
3mb = 40Gb a month

Note - Xbox Live usage does not go towards your monthly usage allowance ;-)

Stopped Believing him at this point, how does your modem know what is being downloaded? Im willing to be proved wrong but surely they measure total traffic to your modem (less ntl bg noise etc) rather than the type of info?

Remember NTL DO NOT enforce these caps and only 0.2% of abusers of service have ever been contacted. You will NEVER be cut off or charged, all NTL do IF they ever contact you is ask you to adjust your usage but they will NOT cut you off or charge

I thought the entire point of this is to make the caps hard, and after you reach them the speed is reduced or you are charged more, or something, I dont see the point in informing people of a change to the cap and then not enforcing it :/

Ignition
14-01-2005, 21:10
FYI That dude is talking out of his @rse and I'd strongly suggest that no-one gives him any information of any kind.

384kbps upstream is impossible on the network, regardless of 'tweaking' done by friends, there's no 384k upstream profile on a uBR anywhere.

There are no customers presently upgraded.

All usage would count towards the limit, I know of no exemption for X-Box Live.

No-one can fix a connection then give a discount to someone then quote sales codes. More BS. Connection 'fixing' where the problem isn't on customer's PC is done by an onsite engineer or ntl networks, the people who manage the uBRs, not ntl:home sales/tech support/customer services/retentions/ whatever this guy seems to think he is.

He's simply talking out of his backside throughout.

HD462
14-01-2005, 21:27
Hi all, new member here. :)

I heard about the speed increase a month or two ago. I had to phone ntl tonight about an ongoing problem we've had with the DTV freezing all the time when going into interactive, and the EPG not having any info on it very often (getting a site visit on Monday).

While I was on the phone I asked about the speed increase. The girl on the phone said she didn't know anything about Broadband and gave me a number to phone broadband support.

I phoned them up and spoke to a guy, asking him when the upgrade would be, and if we had to register for it, or would it happen automatically. He didn't know anything about it (or was playing the innocent). He asked where I'd heard about it, and told him it was all over the net on various forums I visit. I told him what the increases were going to be, but he still reckoned it was new to him.

He went off the phone to speak to someone, while he was away I remembered I'd seen an article on The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/ntl_q3_04/)about it. So when he came back on the phone I gave him the url. He said they'd heard nothing about it, and to keep checking the ntlworld website for an announcement when it was official. Although that was a bit confusing, as it was the top man who'd made the announcement in November, so you can't get much more official than that I guess.

I'll be complaining if they try to charge a £25 upgrade fee though. They give new customers plenty of offers (half price for first 3 months and such like), how about looking after existing customers. I've been with them 6yrs now, and spend nearly £1000 a year with them, I'm sure they could waive the fee. Especially as my STB doesn't need upgrading to a Samsung for the upgrade (although I've asked if they can to cure the TV faults, but the woman said it still has faults too), as I have a seperate cable modem, so it's just a case of someone ramping the speed up their end.

We'll have to see if they make 'an announcement', they must be having loads of people phoning up asking about it. Apparently Telewest has already done their upgrades (or are in the process of rolling it out).

Ignition
14-01-2005, 21:36
I have replied in that forum to that steaming pile of BS that guy was telling.

My personal highlight:

About the only thing I'm remotely interested in knowing is if the chap you apparently 'fixed' is for real, and who you got to do the fixing for you, I probably work with them. Ah, that's right, from the details in this thread I can find out where the customer is then find out what's been done on their router from records of commands run. Oops.

Gareth
14-01-2005, 21:52
Nice call, Ig. I bet he doesn't make any more claims of that nature again :D

Ignition
14-01-2005, 22:34
I seriously lack a sense of humour when I see stuff like this. Makes ntl look bad, annoys paying customers when they don't get what they think the company has promised them, and generates more work for 'real' employees answering calls as to why they aren't getting what 'so and so' on a forum told them they would be getting.

Bill C
14-01-2005, 22:46
Its a shame there is not a bovine excreta award :) that guy would win it hands down. :LOL:

DieDieMyDarling
14-01-2005, 23:10
If ntl got their act together and told people in time, it wouldn't leave customers needing to check forums to find information out. ;)

But that guy was up to something more seedy, he was taking surnames and post codes, he could use that information for a whole host of things, i wish people would be a little bit more cautious, no doubt the people saying it worked, were in on the deal, and he's making money out of their addresses.

icanadvise
14-01-2005, 23:29
I seriously lack a sense of humour when I see stuff like this. Makes ntl look bad, annoys paying customers when they don't get what they think the company has promised them, and generates more work for 'real' employees answering calls as to why they aren't getting what 'so and so' on a forum told them they would be getting.
so if making sure that NTL customers get the right info why don't YOU come clean? I have to admit that ISPs do have every right to either increase prices so that they can cope with the P2P traffic that consumes 60 - 70% of their bandwidth and remain profitable, or to manage this traffic level down. see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12275687~mode=flat Are yo in favour of capping and agree with your emploter?

Here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11807116~mode=flat you confirmed that uploads aren't changing so is that true?
:D :D :angel: :monkey:

Bill C
14-01-2005, 23:39
so if making sure that NTL customers get the right info why don't YOU come clean? see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12275687~mode=flat Are yo in favour of capping and agree with your emploter?

Here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11807116~mode=flat you confirmed that so is that true?
:D :D :angel: :monkey:

The problem that some of us have is this. NONE DISCLOSER AGREEMENT. Even if and i repeat if we knew when, where, how , and add a side order of why. We are not allowed to publish it on a public forum until such time as it is officially released by NTL. If we do then its good night Vienna as far as employment goes. I like my job so will not be risking it, I am sure the other employees on this board will mirror what i have just said. :)

Ignition
15-01-2005, 00:40
I am in favour of capping and thought I'd made that quite clear in previous posts here.

Would you mind quoting me in full please:

As far as I know uploads aren't changing

Key words 'As far as I know' as in I don't know everything or even close to everything, and even if I did know I certainly wouldn't spill it on here or bbr. Simply put I signed and agreed not to, and to do otherwise would threaten my employment.

For what it's worth I have an idea about a number of things to do with the speed increases, none of which I have revealed publicly due to the non-disclosure agreement I have. I will settle at shooting down the BS misinformation, I am not permitted to supply any extra information, sorry.

Mick
15-01-2005, 02:50
My my, icanadvise, long time no chat - where the devil have you been lately? I hope you have not crawled out of the woodwork to cause trouble by misquoting peeps. ;) Or I-can-advise you to crawl back. :)

uni
15-01-2005, 06:41
Nothing in black and white then I assume ;). Only wanted to know when :disturbd:

th'engineer
15-01-2005, 07:52
I find this very unusual for me to agree with Ignition but even from my knowledge of the NTL network and systems.

I must agree with Ignition and Bill C because the information posted seems complete bull and does not tie up with anything logical.

rmg
17-01-2005, 10:22
Blimey, I appear to have started a war :Yikes:

Ignition, did you see the response from edgar davids?

Ignitionnet: I'm trying to work out who in NTL you work for, at first from you post I thought that it may be networks, then I noticed something that suggested different

I too know that there have been no upgrades, and the reason I know this is because its me who builds the configuration files, and I have only just done them, well last thing yesterday, the speed increase that he claims to have could have been fixed by the user just be rebooting the modem, that is all that Hed Kandi did, giving out £5 discounts to him; I still can not figure out why he did this as he has no authority to do so and no manager would authorise such a thing over the net, this can be traced back through the records as mentioned, and it will not take to long to find you, just check the users records and who from your "claimed" area accessed it on the date of the fix above
As for users believing you, well given that its human nature to believe the good things and not the bad, go figure
From my point of view with my manager hat on, I think you role within NTL is now under jeopardy, and without my manager hat on, well I think you are a total and utter **** that thinks what he has done can not be traced, I also tried to contact you via MSN

TBH all I really care about is if the caps are hard, but Im kind of glad I found that thread on the xbox forums and posted it here for clarity, I hope the bloke doesnt get in loads of trouble tho!

--
rmg.
gTag - motek

DieDieMyDarling
17-01-2005, 10:50
I hope he does, he's clearly leading people on, offering them something he can't possibly give. And he's building peoples hopes up with lies. I hope he gets the sack.

BBKing
17-01-2005, 10:55
Ignition, did you see the response from edgar davids?

I read that as aimed at 'Hed Kandi', not Ig. After all, someone banging on about giving people discounts and free upgrades and telling porkers about ntl's key upgrade is going to upset any ntl management reading (and me, I'm effing annoyed at him, too).

rmg
17-01-2005, 14:46
I read that as aimed at 'Hed Kandi', not Ig. After all, someone banging on about giving people discounts and free upgrades and telling porkers about ntl's key upgrade is going to upset any ntl management reading (and me, I'm effing annoyed at him, too).

I did as well, (although it was badly worded) I just wondered if Ig had read it.

--
rmg.

Carth
18-01-2005, 16:31
Sorry for intruding here with a question :)

When we pay the £25 for the upgrade, if there is then a problem with our service being worse than it was (as I believe happened to some during the last speed upgrade), will it be a case of "wait for the fix" or can we claim the £25 back and return to our origional speed?

Just wondering out loud, please don't shout at me :D

PS. the cap doesn't worry me :tu:

buba3d
18-01-2005, 19:47
25 quid extra just to add a little bit of speed onto the existing speed, comon that has to be a joke right, 25 quid for not moving there butts to install a new piece of equipment, well forget that.

-----------
Whats to say this wont happen for stb's when new software comes out.

Electrolyte01
18-01-2005, 19:52
25 quid extra just to add a little bit of speed onto the existing speed, comon that has to be a joke right, 25 quid for not moving there butts to install a new piece of equipment, well forget that.

-----------
Whats to say this wont happen for stb's when new software comes out.

£25 for a little bit of speed? You havn't looked at the speed increases then have you?

300K goes to 1MB
750K goes to 2MB
1.5MB goes to 3MB

I hardly call that "little".

buba3d
18-01-2005, 19:58
£25 for a little bit of speed? You havn't looked at the speed increases then have you?

300K goes to 1MB
750K goes to 2MB
1.5MB goes to 3MB

I hardly call that "little".

Sorry Scott, i tend to shoot my mouth off before reading the facts first.:dunce:

HD462
18-01-2005, 23:31
Thing is you were right really. I won't be happy about paying it either. I consider I've paid my dues over the years in supporting their service as they've built on it...paid plenty on pay by the minute, when ntlworld was only dial-up etc. I've taken all their new services as they've come out...switched my internet to their dial-up originally, then took broadband. Took the analogue TV, then digital.

I pay them nearly £1000 for my services, and yet we get little back. They offer new customers discounts left right and centre. Half price for 3 months, free line rental for a year and similar. How about looking after their existing, loyal customers?

I can understand the fee maybe, for customers needing a hardware upgrade ie: if you need your set top box upgrading if you access the internet using it. But customers with a stand alone cable modem won't need a 'visit', just someone upping the speed at ntls' end. So why the fee for us?

They've had other increases and never charged for it...500k to 600k, 600k to 750k. The upload speed isn't that good only being upped to 256k from 128k considering the advertise braodband for gaming, get your Playstation online etc.

And the increases may be substantial compared to what we're used to, but only because the UK market has been held back all these years. Other countries wouldn't even consider what we've been calling broadband up to now to be true broadband, it's so slow (compared to them).

If you look at other countries, even our coming 2 and 3mbit connections will still be way slower than they're getting for similar money. I'm grateful for the increase yes, but also aware it could have been done much earlier probably.

It's the old marketing trick, hold some of the cake back, then give them it later on a bit at a time, so they think you're giving them added value, when really, you could have given the full cake in one go.

thomson
19-01-2005, 01:49
It is true, I called ntl today and they told me the speed increase will take place very soon (if not already started in some places), they said its free of charge unless ya need a new model modem which there will be a one off minimal fee.

Ignition
19-01-2005, 02:28
Thousandth post! Shame it won't be a pleasant one.

That's nonsense, one day people will actually believe me, I work with the people who write the config files and for the last time The speed upgrades haven't started yet, there is no testing in progress, the upload speeds listed are incorrect, that guy is dealing at best with rumours and no facts, if he were actually in a position to know what was going on he wouldn't be talking about it!!!

thomson
19-01-2005, 03:23
Listen mate, I dont give a toss about what some guy says, iam telling you I heard it straight from the horses mouth, ive even got the guys name in ntl hq who told me.

I dunno why your getting your feathers ruffled, just wait and see, wont be long now and as I said, certain places in the uk have already been upgraded or at least just about to be starting to upgrade, but the guy says for sure in the first quarter of 2005 which on leaves us with feb and march.
I cant see why every person on the phone in ntl's office would want to tell lie's about a silly thing like this, know what I mean ???
The last times a few months back when the older upgrades took place, I done the same thing, I called ntl up and simply asked "when and what are these upgrades all about" and I was told they would take place on such and such a date, and sure as anything, hey presto !! they did upgrade.
Soooo, I have no reason what so ever to NOT believe the people on the end of the phone who work in the office who sell the stuff too us ;)

Anyway, all we can do is wait, your obviously getting your info from different source's from me.

Ignition
19-01-2005, 05:08
Yup I'm making the mistake of talking to the people who are actually doing the work rather than the people who are paid to sell it to you. I certainly hope that they aren't giving out this information though!

Gee who do I trust more on technical projects, salesmen or engineers. :scratch:

Kinda struggling to think who at Corporate HQ would be speaking to customers about the upgrade project actually as well.

thomson
19-01-2005, 05:35
no disrespect but trust who you want, i couldnt care less:erm: .

If I find that ntl have been lying to me on the phone (which i doubt), I will first of all make a complaint to trading standards and then come back on here and tell you guys whats going on.

Ignition
19-01-2005, 05:39
I'm finding you increasingly hard to take seriously. Considering this is your first posts and you instantly come out with that stuff I really can't take anything you are saying seriously, and I really hope that none of the members here are either.

I'd rather not be dealing with people who are disappointed at not being upgraded because some bloke on a forum told them they would be.

Just to emphasise again for the confused no official rollout of the tier uplift has begun in any way shape or form at this time. It's 'coming soon' :)

etccarmageddon
19-01-2005, 06:27
...The upload speed isn't that good only being upped to 256k from 128k..

the upload speeds aren't going to be increased.

Electrolyte01
19-01-2005, 08:50

So if I *WAS* to go onto the 1MB upgrade, I would be stuck with 64k upload? Errr, I would rather stick with my 300K and 1GB per day if that's the case :disturbd:

daxx
19-01-2005, 09:31
If I find that ntl have been lying to me on the phone (which i doubt), I will first of all make a complaint to trading standards just make sure that your recording of the conversation is time date stamped and you have either issued the standard disclaimer at the start of the conversation or your equipment puts the annoying beep every 30 seconds onto the line/recording otherwise you wont have a leg to stand on anything you say 'they said' is merely hearsay.

Alternatively insist that NTL record the conversation and send you an unaltered copy (as if :) )

etccarmageddon
19-01-2005, 10:30
So if I *WAS* to go onto the 1MB upgrade, I would be stuck with 64k upload? Errr, I would rather stick with my 300K and 1GB per day if that's the case :disturbd:

sorry! I agree, when you look at it like that it does appear a bit out of step with the download speed.

ian@huth
19-01-2005, 11:22
sorry! I agree, when you look at it like that it does appear a bit out of step with the download speed.

For most of the customers on the lower tier it doen't matter that the upload speed is not being increased. The 1Mb will allow them to download a large file quicker and the 64k upload is quite capable of supporting that. You have to look at who the lower tier is aimed at and the type of use this group are likely to have. The lower speed is not being marketed as a cheap method of getting a 24/7 power user type of service.

Kevin
19-01-2005, 11:50
Yeah but the 64k speed makes 1mb with xbox live almost unusable...

jtwn
19-01-2005, 12:20
Yes, but surely if ntl offer an xbox service on the the middle tier they will expect you on that, with the 128k ul?

bucketbakereturn
19-01-2005, 12:20
My only question (and i have searched) is will my Terrajet SACM in original NTL(Belfast) require changing 'when' the speed upgrades occur?

AS for the rest, well yes its a good point to say why are we paying £25 for this considering what we pay on a monthly basis (yes thru choice). But this is NTL not Telewest (and they're not the same yet), and although i'll admit to bein the teensiest bit jealous of the Twest customers i'm afraid we are with a company who have had to take major and drastic steps just to remain solvent and its a good bet they're far from good yet. But here they are still going, stil moving forward, bringing online the kind of services that show the full potential of cable and about to become one of the biggest providers in the country.

i don't want BT and i don't want Sky (if they would only get rid of the need for the dish i'd use them, but then they'd be cable!), so this is my choice.

And i'd be grateful if someone would answer the question at the top before i put my penneth worth in.

etccarmageddon
19-01-2005, 12:47
For most of the customers on the lower tier it doen't matter that the upload speed is not being increased. The 1Mb will allow them to download a large file quicker and the 64k upload is quite capable of supporting that. You have to look at who the lower tier is aimed at and the type of use this group are likely to have. The lower speed is not being marketed as a cheap method of getting a 24/7 power user type of service.

yes but when you compare it to comparible ADSL products that Wandaoo and others offer (i.e. high speed, under £20 a month and small monthly GB allowance).........

- do those products have such a low upload speed?

quadplay
19-01-2005, 12:50
My only question (and i have searched) is will my Terrajet SACM in original NTL(Belfast) require changing 'when' the speed upgrades occur?

Nope - Terayon Terajet TJ210 cable modems are capable of handling around 28Mbit downstream (I think - though I'm sure Ignition will correct me ;) ). This is limited, however, by the connection to the PC - 10Mbps Ethernet or 11Mbps USB. In any case, they can certainly handle 3Mbps, so no change will be needed.

bucketbakereturn
19-01-2005, 12:57
Cheers for that, but the capable bit are u just hedgin ur bets until corrected;).

quadplay
19-01-2005, 13:00
No, just wanted to make sure no-one started a rumour that speeds were going to be increased to that level! :D

HD462
19-01-2005, 15:11
...The upload speed isn't that good only being upped to 256k from 128k..

According to the announcment made by NTLs Cheif Exec last Nov they are, and that's also what I've heard on the various other forums I visit. Leaving it at 128k (what my uplaod currently is with 750k download) when you're on a 2mb download would be daft.

I was speaking to someone in Broandband Tech Support on Friday tea-time at the speed upgrade, as I wondered if you had to register for it, or whether it would happen automatically. He reckoned he didn't know what I was talking about (might have been pretending they didn't know to keep things hush-hush for now). I told him about the speed increases quoted etc and he went off and asked someone. While he was away I remembered the article I'd read on The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/ntl_q3_04/)quoting Simon Duffy, the NTL Chief Exec. When he came back on the phone he reckoned no-one there knew anything about it, so I gave him the address of the webpage (click The Register link above), to show him.

He didn't have an answer, just saying to keep watching the ntlworld website for news. But the announcement has been made already, so I don't know why they'd deny it.

Sorry, that link was to the announcement of the new download speeds, it doesn't mention the upload speed. I've seen it somewhere else, but can't remember at the moment.

Tristan
19-01-2005, 15:36
Nope - Terayon Terajet TJ210 cable modems are capable of handling around 28Mbit downstream (I think - though I'm sure Ignition will correct me ;) ). This is limited, however, by the connection to the PC - 10Mbps Ethernet or 11Mbps USB. In any case, they can certainly handle 3Mbps, so no change will be needed.

38Mbps for EuroDOCSIS :D

Actually, you've hit upon something here. As speeds get faster, more and more strain is going to be put on USB connections. The more data that flows through the USB port, the more work the processor has to do. If it can't keep up, then the data connection is going to slow down. It won't be long I think before NTL start saying that ethernet is *required* for connections above a certain level (and this probably isn't a bad thing).

daxx
19-01-2005, 16:10
It won't be long I think before NTL start saying that ethernet is *required* for connections above a certain level (and this probably isn't a bad thing).

Oh no !!!, I can just imagine some poor cs/ts trying to get into mr/ms newbies head that a usb port cannot physically accommodate an RJ45 plug no matter how hard you whack it with a hammer or how much lube' you spray on it :erm:

quadplay
19-01-2005, 16:14
What makes you think we don't have to do that now? :D

ian@huth
19-01-2005, 16:33
yes but when you compare it to comparible ADSL products that Wandaoo and others offer (i.e. high speed, under £20 a month and small monthly GB allowance).........

- do those products have such a low upload speed?

Most of the sub £20 high speed ADSL offerings have a 1 or 2 Gb per month cap. They are aimed at low usage customers and may have a much higher upload speed than cable lower tiers but the majority of users will never take advantage of this higher upload speed. ADSL is more of a symetrical method of providing broadband than cable is. Contention on ADSL has no effect until the signals hit the exchange. Both ADSL and cable have their good points and bad points. The customer chooses which service to buy based on how well the different offerings suit his/her usage requirements. The speeds that ISPs offer, both upload and download, have to be within a range that the infrastructure can sustain without undue effect on customers and at a price that generates enough profit to maintain and expand the infrastructure whilst still giving a return to shareholders.

c1rcle
19-01-2005, 16:50
What happens to those of us who decide not to have the upgraded speeds? are we likely to lose our connections totally in the future? if ntl decide they will no longer support the usb connections are they going to supply the ethernet thingies (sorry I dunno what to call them) to replace them?

daxx
19-01-2005, 17:12
What happens to those of us who decide not to have the upgraded speeds? are we likely to lose our connections totally in the future? if ntl decide they will no longer support the usb connections are they going to supply the ethernet thingies (sorry I dunno what to call them) to replace them?

1. The 'new' teirs will work through usb (although the Network Interface Card (NIC)/Ethernet route is better for any network connection)

2. Remember that 'anything plugged into a usb port is using up your processors computing power as it has to preform any conversion required to get the signals to the correct device.

3 The days of 'NIC only' for any cable provider are 'maybe' far into the future and your current computer will be either long outdated or a manufacturer will come up with USB X capable of handling the speeds required

dragon
19-01-2005, 17:34
1. The 'new' teirs will work through usb (although the Network Interface Card (NIC)/Ethernet route is better for any network connection)

2. Remember that 'anything plugged into a usb port is using up your processors computing power as it has to preform any conversion required to get the signals to the correct device.

3 The days of 'NIC only' for any cable provider are 'maybe' far into the future and your current computer will be either long outdated or a manufacturer will come up with USB X capable of handling the speeds required

u mean usb2 which is already on a lot of modern computers and capable of handleing 480mbits a sec ;)

ntl just need to start to supply modems that support usb2...

c1rcle
19-01-2005, 17:45

3 The days of 'NIC only' for any cable provider are 'maybe' far into the future and your current computer will be either long outdated or a manufacturer will come up with USB X capable of handling the speeds requiredThanks, I can stop worrying now :D

Stuart
19-01-2005, 17:55

If I find that ntl have been lying to me on the phone (which i doubt), I will first of all make a complaint to trading standards and then come back on here and tell you guys whats going on.

Regardless of what NTL say on the phone, Ignition hasn't (to my knowledge) been wrong when he has said anything about NTL and what they provide. As I understand it, he himself would be involved in any upgrade work for the new speeds, so I think he would know.

BTW, when saying that some bloke from NTL told you on the phone , bear in mind that Customer Service Reps have been known to say a few things that have not turned out to be true..

Not saying anyone here is a liar BTW (So Debsy and orangebird please put those knives away).

u mean usb2 which is already on a lot of modern computers and capable of handleing 480mbits a sec ;)

or using the Ethernet port that comes with most modern PCs..

ian@huth
19-01-2005, 18:15

It's not the speed of the port, it is the fact that it uses more resources.

BBKing
19-01-2005, 18:26
38Mbps for EuroDOCSIS

Not for a Terajet, cleverclogs - DOCSIS only :) Mind you, with QAM256 downstream...

480Mbps pah. Try 1000Mbps for size.

dragon
19-01-2005, 18:30
It's not the speed of the port, it is the fact that it uses more resources.

ah but with modern cpus the average joe user probably wont even notice this..

Stuart
19-01-2005, 18:41
ah but with modern cpus the average joe user probably wont even notice this..

Having experienced the problems even 2.8Ghz processors can have with USB modems (ADSL in this case), I would tend to disagree.

dragon
19-01-2005, 18:43
Having experienced the problems even 2.8Ghz processors can have with USB modems (ADSL in this case), I would tend to disagree.

fair enough i stand corrected then :)

Stuart
19-01-2005, 18:45
Not for a Terajet, cleverclogs - DOCSIS only :) Mind you, with QAM256 downstream...

480Mbps pah. Try 1000Mbps for size.

Now, a gigabit connection.. That would be nice. My machine already has Gigabit ethernet on board (although the router is only capable of 100Megabits so would need to be upgraded.

fair enough i stand corrected then :)

Actually, in all fairness, the modem was some cheap and nasty thing supplied by Wanadoo (still prefer to call them Freeswerve though), so it could have been crap drivers that caused the problem.

Mind you, with Ethernet, the drivers are often built into the OS.

dragon
19-01-2005, 19:11
Now, a gigabit connection.. That would be nice. My machine already has Gigabit ethernet on board (although the router is only capable of 100Megabits so would need to be upgraded.

Actually, in all fairness, the modem was some cheap and nasty thing supplied by Wanadoo (still prefer to call them Freeswerve though), so it could have been crap drivers that caused the problem.

Mind you, with Ethernet, the drivers are often built into the OS.

nvidia ones wernt for my nforce board and when i tryed to install the nforce drivers it said i needed to get directx 9 and gave me a download link (DOH!) but luckely i had dx9 on a game cd...

but anyway thats a whole diffrerent matter....

i hope the speed increse happens soon and i hope its free!

BBKing
19-01-2005, 19:31
This motherboard is useful as it has two onboard nics, a gige and a normal 10/100 one. Unfortunately the nearest available gige is in our data centre in Langley ;)

Tristan
19-01-2005, 20:14
Actually, in all fairness, the modem was some cheap and nasty thing supplied by Wanadoo (still prefer to call them Freeswerve though)

Might I humbly suggest "Wanapoo"?

:D

carlingman
20-01-2005, 00:00

:D No disrespect but as you have chosen to ignore all the top notch advice given to you on here from the people actually involved heres a link you may need in the future linky here (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/)

And do not forget to book mark this site and this thread so we can all sit back and watch you eating some humble pie :D

Mick
21-01-2005, 22:45
All.

Cable Forum has received information tonight (unofficial) that the following upload speeds will probably be applied to the new 1MB, 2MB and 3MB speed upgrade packages:

1MB = 100K
2MB = 200K
3MB = 300K

Please be aware that as of yet this is unconfirmed information - however the source of the information appears reliable. Please keep an eye on this thread for further updates and information.

dragon
21-01-2005, 22:55
Hope so the extra would be nice :)

purenuman
21-01-2005, 22:55
All.

Cable Forum has received information tonight (unofficial) that the following upload speeds will probably be applied to the new 1MB, 2MB and 3MB speed upgrade packages:

1MB = 100K
2MB = 200K
3MB = 300K

Please be aware that as of yet this is unconfirmed information - however the source of the information appears reliable. Please keep an eye on this thread for further updates and information.

:D :tu: .............

[Waits for the 'it won't happen/it's not enough' mob]

Tuftus
21-01-2005, 23:10
It's not enough!!!!

;)

daxx
21-01-2005, 23:12
it won't happen ! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

there you are :D

Bill C
21-01-2005, 23:38
All.

1MB = 100K
2MB = 200K
3MB = 300K

:shocked:

I hope this is true

jtwn
21-01-2005, 23:45
ha..vi..ng...a..hear.t.a.tta.ck

Bill C
21-01-2005, 23:46
ha..vi..ng...a..hear.t.a.tta.ck

:LOL:

DieDieMyDarling
22-01-2005, 00:52
2mb subscribers won't be happy. :-)

Paul
22-01-2005, 00:57
2mb subscribers won't be happy. :-)Why ?

Earwig
22-01-2005, 01:05
If this is true surley it is just a way to make sure as many people as possible will sign up for the 3MB package?

I hope it does not happen and that in fact the upload for the 3MB line is higher than predicted....... :)

Just out of interest if 256( Which it is now) =32KB/s what would 300 be?? 35? 36?

Paul
22-01-2005, 01:16
Just out of interest if 256( Which it is now) =32KB/s what would 300 be?? 35? 36?37.5KB/s - but you will never get this, just as you will never get 32KB/s from a current line.

Nikko
22-01-2005, 01:24
Well I am disgusted. Thats now 4 free upgrades I have had from ntl in 2 years without me doing anything, and I am getting sick of it. Where will it all end?

jtwn
22-01-2005, 01:42
Heh. On second thoughts, a ~15% increase compared to the others does seem a little bit..harsh. To me it seems to of been psychologically set like that, to make the people think of a big increase when its not much really.

Though if this is linked to capacity issues or whatever technical reason behind it then i have no quarms :)

(ftr, not a rant, happy with the increase, it just seems a tad out of proportion with the others)

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 01:43
Well I am disgusted. Thats now 4 free upgrades I have had from ntl in 2 years without me doing anything, and I am getting sick of it. Where will it all end?

Free? Thought we had to pay £25?

:disturbd:

Nikko
22-01-2005, 01:44
Free? Thought we had to pay £25?

:disturbd:

Thats a different rumour

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 01:56
Thats a different rumour

Ah well, that's ok then :shrug:

Mick
22-01-2005, 01:58
The £25 fee is not a rumour :), its been confirmed by ntl that this one-off fee will be charged to existing customers who want to upgrade to the new speed packages.

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 02:01
Thanks Mick.

daxx
22-01-2005, 02:06
The £25 fee is not a rumour :), its been confirmed by ntl that this one-off fee will be charged to existing customers who want to upgrade to the new speed packages.

unkess you can blag it off retentions :D

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 02:07
unkess you can blag it off retentions :D

How likely is that though?

Chrysalis
22-01-2005, 02:12
4 free upgrades? we on different planets?

nice to see ntl reacted to the competition but it isnt much of a reaction is it, we looking at a tiny upgrade for the top tier once again.

64k -> 100k increase 44%
128k -> 200k increase 44%
256k -> 300k increase 17% hmmmmm

Mick
22-01-2005, 02:26
4 free upgrades? we on different planets?

nice to see ntl reacted to the competition but it isnt much of a reaction is it, we looking at a tiny upgrade for the top tier once again.

64k -> 100k increase 44%
128k -> 200k increase 44%
256k -> 300k increase 17% hmmmmm

It is better than no increases at all. Takes a lot to impress some people doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Chris W
22-01-2005, 02:31
*yawn* chrysalis it is really quite sad that you have nothing better to do with your time than slag of ntl...

we are actually looking at quite substantial upgrades for ntl-

300k-> 1mb = 333% of previous download speeds
750k-> 2mb = 266% of previous download speeds
1.5mb -> 3mb = 200% of previous download speeds

as for the upload speeds NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

but of course we can still slate ntl for it because they are the worst isp in the world right?! :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
22-01-2005, 02:46
mick yes no upgrade would be better

why?

because as a customer paying £37.99 I wouldnt be getting a slap in the face saying customers paying less deserve more of an upgrade.

To the guys defening ntl all the way has ntl ever done anything to annoy you, because if the answer is no that just isnt human.

NTL are cherry picking customers, is this legal way of doing business, I have no idea but it certianly isnt moral.

Monkeybreath if these upgrades are not finalised then why release the info to the public another big mistake.

To the mods with neil as the exception, you sometimes make me think you are on NTL's payroll with the name change from nthellworld.co.uk to something less agressive and with your continous one sided attitude, of course this si your website and you have the right to be like that so I am considering leaving and not posting again. I know this will make many people happy, but believe me I have had many positive messages from people on here about the points I have raised. I think there is a lot of people scared to speak up because they see the abuse that comes back after someone argues with the almighty.

Good night all.

Mick
22-01-2005, 03:50
To the mods with neil as the exception, you sometimes make me think you are on NTL's payroll with the name change from nthellworld.co.uk to something less agressive and with your continous one sided attitude

Thanks for that fine, forensic analysis. ;) But you are of course wrong.

Your attitude is never always one sided is it Chrysalis? :erm:

The problem I see with yourself is that you appear to be just ranting for the sake of ranting, I could rant but where will it get me? You slag off ntl like you have some fixed obsession with it. I do not have a problem with critical comments about ntl, so long as they are constructive. This place has moved on from being just a rant site.

Monkeybreath if these upgrades are not finalised then why release the info to the public another big mistake.

Well no it isn't because ntl have not released information on a wider scale to the general public as of yet about the speed upgrades, you know about these speed upgrades through visiting this site or other such sites that provide information on forthcoming services. You have the advantage of knowing about these speeds than most customers, who simply won't be aware of these speed upgrades, unless, like you, read this information on sites such as this one.

Chrysalis
22-01-2005, 05:41
My rant is far from one sided I have said many nasty things about BT, on both BT and NTL I have had more praise for NTL in the past, if you check my recent stuff on NTL it has mostly been negative yes.

Reasons for my negativity.
I want digital tv, no sign of it coming from NTL
I hate india call centres
I consider myself a power user and need to speak to a technically adapt person if I ring tech support.
I need a consumer broadband package that will allow around 50 gig a month in the package price.
I like to feel like the company values me as a customer.

Stuff that I dont like about NTL but I havent made a big fuss about.
Transperent proxies
Unreliable Email

Stuff I like about NTL
Convenient to get all tv/cable/phone of 1 provider
Free access to football highlights
Free to use cable modem
Flexible billing department
Online instant upgrading of broadband (BT dont offer)
Nice and very cheap to ring my friends and family who are on NTL.

This is getting off topic tho so wont rant on.

mmm
22-01-2005, 10:34
*yawn* chrysalis it is really quite sad that you have nothing better to do with your time than slag of ntl...

we are actually looking at quite substantial upgrades for ntl-

300k-> 1mb = 333% of previous download speeds

:

But the amount you can download per month is being reduced by 500%

[From 1GB per day =30 GB per month to 5GB per month, reduction 25GB divide by smallest number to give biggest %!]

Ooops sorry wrong thread....

Ignition
22-01-2005, 10:47
I consider myself a power user and need to speak to a technically adapt person if I ring tech support.
I need a consumer broadband package that will allow around 50 gig a month in the package price.

Digi TV is on the way to Leicester.

Sorry about the call centre issue, FWIW I agree.

Get a business package if you want to speak to a technically 'adept' person when you ring tech support. If you are looking to speak to network management level people though you'll be disappointed, even business custs don't deal with networks directly, though business cable support are very good. Considering I remember you complaining about subsidising all those people who phone for basic queries don't see why they should subsidise you as you're too knowledgeable to speak to standard tech support who, necessarily, are not 30k a year network engineers.

Business package will give you 30GB/month + unlimited in office hours, altenately there are providers who can assist you.

Try using a smaller ISP with virtually no customers. While the people on the phones do their best you have to remember that some depersonalisation is inevitable with a company with over 1.2 million HSI customers.

DieDieMyDarling
22-01-2005, 11:52
I have to say i agree with Chrysalis on his earlier point, i've noticed over the past while there's an awful lot of people on here defending ntl to the death, admin included. When i first joined up i was really impressed to find somewhere full of people like me, fed up with ntl's ineptness, and failing services, but over the months it seems if anyone slags off ntl now, they get told off for it, regardless of whether it's justified or not.

As far as the new upstreams go, i'd be pretty happy with 300k, although if the service is hard capped i'm going down to 2mb for a month or two, until i can sort out an ASDL line.

Out of interest, the person who grassed ntl's new upstream speeds, did they also say anything about caps? :-D

Mick
22-01-2005, 12:59
but over the months it seems if anyone slags off ntl now, they get told off for it, regardless of whether it's justified or not.

They do not get told off about it, we are aware that ntl lets some of its customers down, so this place is in situ to offer help because they didn't get it speaking with ntl, so help is at hand for this here, but you cannot offer advice or help someone whose mission it is to just rant and you will always get mixed views, people happy with ntl, others not happy that clash.

Out of interest, the person who grassed ntl's new upstream speeds, did they also say anything about caps? :-D

No, nothing was mentioned about caps.

Paul
22-01-2005, 13:16
To the guys defening ntl all the way has ntl ever done anything to annoy you, because if the answer is no that just isnt human.What are you talking about :confused:

NTL are cherry picking customers, is this legal way of doing business, I have no idea but it certianly isnt moral.Of course it's legal - it's also normal. What has it got to do with morality.

To the mods with neil as the exception, you sometimes make me think you are on NTL's payroll with the name change from nthellworld.co.uk .....Yeah, that's right, ntl pay me to be an admin here :rolleyes:

....of course this si your website and you have the right to be like that so I am considering leaving and not posting again. You know where the door is.

I know this will make many people happy, but believe me I have had many positive messages from people on here about the points I have raised. I think there is a lot of people scared to speak up because they see the abuse that comes back after someone argues with the almighty.There are a lot of people bored to death of your constant whinging as well. Who exactly is "the almighty" :erm:

Out of interest, the person who grassed ntl's new upstream speeds, did they also say anything about caps? :-DNo, but to impose them properly needs monitoring equipment to be installed and/or maintained. Given how ntl appear to be cutting back on the staff to do this (not a smart move ntl :td: ) - you have to wonder how they are actually going to impose them properly. :dozey:

Bill C
22-01-2005, 14:33
What are you talking about :confused:

Of course it's legal - it's also normal. What has it got to do with morality.

Yeah, that's right, ntl pay me to be an admin here :rolleyes:

You know where the door is.

There are a lot of people bored to death of your constant whinging as well. Who exactly is "the almighty" :erm:

No, but to impose them properly needs monitoring equipment to be installed and/or maintained. Given how ntl appear to be cutting back on the staff to do this (not a smart move ntl :td: ) - you have to wonder how they are actually going to impose them properly. :dozey:

:clap:

DieDieMyDarling
22-01-2005, 14:48
Well, it really wouldn't be smart to risk losing customers over something that might frighten people off, over caps etc (remember some people won't know what 30gb/5gb is, and might be worried unnecessarily), then not even enforce it. It will be a negative advertising point, and i'm sure the likes of AOL will up their stakes even higher, by reminding people that they are UNCAPPED. Although, it is ntl we're talking about, they have been known to make huge mistakes before, still, this is surely beyond even THEIR ineptness!

In answer to a few earlier posts, maybe people rant/whinge/moan because they are fed up with ntl? I've seen people come on this forum and slag off ntl, because they are angry, fed up, ****ed off etc, then be slated by the admin/users because 'not all ntl staff are useless'. We can only judge ntl on our own experiences, and if you've spent 2 weeks trying to sort something out with ntl on the phone, and they still screw it up, surely a person can be forgiven for calling the ntl staff 'muppets'.

I've seen a lot of very helpful ntl staff on here, and i'm very appreciative of it, but the fact remains, when you phone ntl for help, it's hit and miss as to whether you'll get any help at all. Maybe some of the admins/regulars should remember why this site was started in the first place, because ntl were so rubbish! And in some cases (if not a lot) they still are.

Ignition
22-01-2005, 15:05
This site actually exists to help customers of both telewest and ntl, hence the name change from nthellworld, not as a site to whinge about ntl. I think it does achieve that, numerous people have gotten a result from visiting this site.

Ideally this site wouldn't need to be here, however if sites like this help keep the company on its' toes and can assist and inform customers all good in my opinion.

Personally I value the opinions of everyone on here, albeit to different degrees ;) however the site's membership are a minority of ntl customers and probably not a representative one, just as those sharing your point of view on this issue are a minority, the majority of people look forward to the extra speed and are indifferent or even welcoming of the capping.

Have to try and look at issues in the context of the bigger picture, at the same time though forums exist to express your opinion. Think it's fair to say though that expressing the same opinion over and over again, or in the wrong way will get people's back up and those who are paying attention will inevitably become less receptive, those who were indifferent take the opposite position.

Mick
22-01-2005, 15:22
In answer to a few earlier posts, maybe people rant/whinge/moan because they are fed up with ntl? I've seen people come on this forum and slag off ntl, because they are angry, fed up, ****ed off etc, then be slated by the admin/users because 'not all ntl staff are useless'. We can only judge ntl on our own experiences, and if you've spent 2 weeks trying to sort something out with ntl on the phone, and they still screw it up, surely a person can be forgiven for calling the ntl staff 'muppets'.

But the problem with that is that it can cause offense and this site isn't about offending others whether they are ntl staff or not. It's about providing help, resources and information on ntl/TW services and I happen to think it does this very well through customers sharing experiences with each other. :)

Maybe some of the admins/regulars should remember why this site was started in the first place, because ntl were so rubbish! And in some cases (if not a lot) they still are.

I do not need to remember, I clearly remember why we set this site up and it wasn't to just sit here ranting, how crap ntl can be, all day everyday. ;)

Can I please respectfully request that we now keep this thread to the topic on the speed upgrades. Thanks.

etccarmageddon
22-01-2005, 15:48
Can I please respectfully request that we now keep this thread to the topic on the speed upgrades. Thanks.

it's nice to hear they are (alledgedly) going up.

the £38 product change is disappointing as it's only a small increase and for me hardly justifies the price difference between £25 and £38.

better than most ADSL products though!

Mick
22-01-2005, 15:55
it's nice to hear they are (alledgedly) going up.

It is when I was originally told by ntl that they were thinking of keeping them the same.

etccarmageddon
22-01-2005, 16:15
It is when I was originally told by ntl that they were thinking of keeping them the same.

yes indeedy, it IS progress even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

kronas
22-01-2005, 16:42
well for me i am pleased that NTL will be increasing download speeds, it seems they have listened to those people who wanted more speed, i only hope that the network can handle this and the service not to deteriorate in some areas.

on the upload side i also welcome the rumoured upload changes if they are true, it provides a slightly bigger pipe for those online gamers :)

the capping im still not happy with, i never have been and made that clear to NTL when they initially wanted to introduce the 1GB limit, the new restrictions on downloading make me even more unhappier, i tend to have periods of heavy downloading but not often so i should be fine, but it does not mean i am happy.

overall NTL's product has been very solid and thats the reason i am staying with them, even if the CS and techsupport is lacklustre at times.

NTL is going to have the fastest residential service available in my area, atleast until bulldog or ukonline upgrade and bring their LLU here respectively.

:)

DieDieMyDarling
22-01-2005, 17:04
I find it very interesting that the people who know, claimed a while ago, that it wasn't the downstream that caused problems on the ntl networks, but the upstream. So, ntl have decided to cap services, and at the same time make download AND upload speeds faster, on a network that already has problems?
I've seen a few peolple state this in the past, so can anyone comment on it now? Will the higher upstreams cause problems?

Earwig
22-01-2005, 17:39
37.5KB/s - but you will never get this, just as you will never get 32KB/s from a current line.

I seem to get pretty close to 32/KB/s all the time. And in many cases I somethines sit at 33-34KB/s.....Only for 5 seconds or more before dropping to 31-32KB/s.

I seem to have a pretty good line...Perhaps not many people on the same section as me?

mmm
22-01-2005, 18:17
I find it very interesting that the people who know, claimed a while ago, that it wasn't the downstream that caused problems on the ntl networks, but the upstream. So, ntl have decided to cap services, and at the same time make download AND upload speeds faster, on a network that already has problems?
I've seen a few peolple state this in the past, so can anyone comment on it now? Will the higher upstreams cause problems?

It was reported somewhere that the new cards being installed to increase the download also added some extra upstream channels so their is some extra capacity available. The caps will tend to shave off the highest (ab)users so will be good for the average user.

Ignition
22-01-2005, 18:24
Higher upstreams unlikely to cause problems as people won't be able to leave their favourite P2P client open 24x7 uploading full or near full whack, or FTP 'Linux ISOs' to friends.
One would also hope the months of hard upgrading won't be in vain :)

jtwn
22-01-2005, 18:34
Well if anything, the caps will now turn me from a friendly seeder to a leecher on p2p :p:

I can maintain 32kb/s to webmania.com/ntl webspace on my ul :tu:

kronas
22-01-2005, 18:39
Higher upstreams unlikely to cause problems as people won't be able to leave their favourite P2P client open 24x7 uploading full or near full whack, or FTP 'Linux ISOs' to friends.
One would also hope the months of hard upgrading won't be in vain :)

so this means the system will 'enforce' the limit by throttling or inaccessability of service ?

homealone
22-01-2005, 19:17
so this means the system will 'enforce' the limit by throttling or inaccessability of service ?

I'd be surprised if he could go into any more detail, without risking the terms of his non disclosure agreement.

We can speculate that NTL will have some mechanism in place to enforce the proposed limitation of bandwidth, once the speed increases are rolled out, but exactly how that will be achieved, may never be made public.

One thought I had, regarding the upload increases, is that the upload speeds for each tier are each going to be 10% of the download speed, rather than the current 21%/17%/17% - would I be correct in assuming this 'increase' in the asynchronicity will benefit the network, as a whole?

kronas
22-01-2005, 19:24
I'd be surprised if he could go into any more detail, without risking the terms of his non disclosure agreement.

what you dont ask you dont get.

We can speculate that NTL will have some mechanism in place to enforce the proposed limitation of bandwidth, once the speed increases are rolled out, but exactly how that will be achieved, may never be made public.

i will assume so, if that is the case then i would have to consider my position of whether to upgrade or not, as i have variable usage when i have monitered in the past.

sometimes its consistantly heavy other times its idle.

One thought I had, regarding the upload increases, is that the upload speeds for each tier are each going to be 10% of the download speed, rather than the current 21%/17%/17% - would I be correct in assuming this 'increase' in the asynchronicity will benefit the network, as a whole?

i would assume you could be right there, if there is room being given after the added upstreams etc to allow for usage and then a seperate 'leeway' on the network then it should work out.

mathimatically it looks that way.

im not a mathematician by a long shot so dont quote me :D

homealone
22-01-2005, 19:36
what you dont ask you dont get.

true :)

i will assume so, if that is the case then i would have to consider my position of whether to upgrade or not, as i have variable usage when i have monitered in the past.

sometimes its consistantly heavy other times its idle.

the one thing I can't get my head round, is my assumption they will be running 6 tiers, rather than the current 3, time will tell I suppose :)

- as requested I havn't quoted you on the last point :p: :D

kronas
22-01-2005, 19:38
true :)

;)

the one thing I can't get my head round, is my assumption they will be running 6 tiers, rather than the current 3, time will tell I suppose :)

yes they will be, whether they will phase them out eventually or allow the choosing remains to be seen.

one thing i WILL be asking them if i do decide to upgrade is if i can downgrade back to 1.5mbit.

whats the bet on them not allowing that ? :rolleyes:

- as requested I havn't quoted you on the last point :p: :D

:p: :D

mcmanic
22-01-2005, 20:47
cannot wait to see what happens with this supposed capping when it starts and fully inforced, loads of people complaining about reduced service or why they been charged for extra BB above the so called limit that they never knew about because they (normal joe public) don't even know what a cap is and what MBs are, lol - its going to be mayhem.

Personal think it ain't going to happen, it'll just be a guideline, with maybe more people making sure your not using a 1 meg connection for 24/7 downloading and advised to upgrade to 3meg.

as for upload, couldn't care less, never use it, and as pointed out i thought it was p2p users using their upload to share was the actual problem that cause so many issue's with ntl's network, and seeing i don't belive ntl is going to actually impose hardcaps i think if by offering more upload speed they will just make the network even worse, and everyone will then blame people who download alot .

personally they should port block popular p2p

Thorny
22-01-2005, 22:45
i do think the 256k to 300k upload change is a bit pointless. It would of been nice to see it at 512k. I wonder how much it will actually cost to get that upload speed changed from 256 to 300 without anyone really noticing any sort of change at all. Personally I am considering dropping down to the 2mb tier as its alot cheaper and I basically get the same upload speed as I do now.
If NTL had increased the top upload tier to 512k then I would no doubt use that one instead. Its annoying having to wait a large amount of time to upload the video I have taken with my cam to my web space.

I will probably try the 3mb tier for a few months for novilty value but i REALLY want to see a power users tier. I had to download the world of warcraft beta the other day, as well as the matrix online beta. both of them together were over 6 gigs and I am a subscribed fileplanet user and download many betas a month. Not everyone is a warez kiddy, some of us really do enjoy the speed of broadband and use it for our personal entertainment legally.

With some new companies starting to advertise movies on broadband, I am starting to wonder hwo it will be compatable with speed caps, especially if they are promoted by NTL. "try the new movies via broadband service(P.S you can only watch 10 a month because you will reach your cap)"

Bottom line is, if NTL start to hastle me about my useage then I will simply switch to one of the many advertised no cap services. NTL knows this and thats why they dont strictly enforce the cap as of this moment. But they do know that the majority of customers will be "worried" about this cap and use far less than theya re allowed.

There are always ways to get past port blocking. bittorrent can just be used on any unblocked port you want. so NTL will have to block every port to block bittorrent, which they wont do and is not feasable to do. and as bittorrent seems like the next big p2p thing, such as exeem then port blocking is not going to do much.

Ignition
22-01-2005, 22:50
Bottom line is, if NTL start to hastle me about my useage then I will simply switch to one of the many advertised no cap services. NTL knows this and thats why they dont strictly enforce the cap as of this moment. But they do know that the majority of customers will be "worried" about this cap and use far less than theya re allowed.

There are always ways to get past port blocking. bittorrent can just be used on any unblocked port you want. so NTL will have to block every port to block bittorrent, which they wont do and is not feasable to do. and as bittorrent seems like the next big p2p thing, such as exeem then port blocking is not going to do much.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the majority of customers don't actually give a monkeys about current or future usage limits.

Sorry again to burst your bubble but port blocking is irrelevant to modern peer to peer management, I suggest you google "deep packet inspection".

Maggy
22-01-2005, 22:51
My rant is far from one sided I have said many nasty things about BT, on both BT and NTL I have had more praise for NTL in the past, if you check my recent stuff on NTL it has mostly been negative yes.

Reasons for my negativity.

Stuff that I dont like about NTL but I havent made a big fuss about.
Transperent proxies
Unreliable Email

Stuff I like about NTL
Convenient to get all tv/cable/phone of 1 provider
Free access to football highlights
Free to use cable modem
Flexible billing department
Online instant upgrading of broadband (BT dont offer)
Nice and very cheap to ring my friends and family who are on NTL.

This is getting off topic tho so wont rant on.

50 GB a month Broadband? I reckon that's soon to be a thing of the past.From the way ISP's have behaved in the past as soon as one ISP starts doing summat different they all start doing it.Won't be long before they are all either charging through the nose for an uncapped service and or providing a cheaper capped service.

Incog. :)

mcmanic
22-01-2005, 23:04
thing is as always we are not given a choice are we, if you have no choice but to use ntl then your stuck with them, nearly all other companies provide at least 1 tier/service uncapped, i'd rather pay say 512upload uncapped, than 3meg capped cos speed isn't everything but can be nice.

and out of interest what is the usage on 1.5meg if you don't upgrade and signup to this new laughable capped service?

i presume it stays at a laughable capped 30gig a month unmonitored and would remain that cos your paying more than the new 2meg subscribers with this new laughable 30meg cap and their new contract

Maggy
22-01-2005, 23:10
thing is as always we are not given a choice are we, if you have no choice but to use ntl then your stuck with them, nearly all other companies provide at least 1 tier/service uncapped, i'd rather pay say 512upload uncapped, than 3meg capped cos speed isn't everything but can be nice.

and out of interest what is the usage on 1.5meg if you don't upgrade and signup to this new laughable capped service?

i presume it stays at a laughable capped 30gig a month unmonitored and would remain that cos your paying more than the new 2meg subscribers with this new laughable 30meg cap and their new contract

Err you can stay at the old rate if you prefer.You just don't pay the extra £25 pounds ;)

Hans Gruber
23-01-2005, 00:17
Sorry to burst your bubble but the majority of customers don't actually give a monkeys about current or future usage limits.

Would you not think that is because they don't understand the implications of such a limit?

If the government introduced a law that the majority of people didn't understand, and in turn didn't complain, would that mean they agree with it?

Chrysalis
23-01-2005, 00:50
Digi TV is on the way to Leicester.

Sorry about the call centre issue, FWIW I agree.

Get a business package if you want to speak to a technically 'adept' person when you ring tech support. If you are looking to speak to network management level people though you'll be disappointed, even business custs don't deal with networks directly, though business cable support are very good. Considering I remember you complaining about subsidising all those people who phone for basic queries don't see why they should subsidise you as you're too knowledgeable to speak to standard tech support who, necessarily, are not 30k a year network engineers.

Business package will give you 30GB/month + unlimited in office hours, altenately there are providers who can assist you.

Try using a smaller ISP with virtually no customers. While the people on the phones do their best you have to remember that some depersonalisation is inevitable with a company with over 1.2 million HSI customers.

Yes I am considering the business lite package at the moment I will be happy with unmetered only during office hours, on this package am I breaking contract if I share 2 pc's on the same connection?

Also respect to you ignition all your replies have been calmly written and I have had no abuse from you, you are a credit to NTL.

Scope
23-01-2005, 07:32
Interesting news.. But if they actually enforce the cap this time, what will happen when you reach it? Will your connectione stop until the end of the month, or do they reduce the speed so you can still use it, and then turn it back up at the beginning of next month?

I hope they do increase upload speed as its really needed in these days of Internet phone and sharping of photos, etc, etc.

Doofy
23-01-2005, 11:36
The one thing that really pains me is the £25.00 admin fee for existing customers. I have been with NTL since the beginning yet i am still expected to pay to be upgraded. would have been nice for NTL to reward there customers by not charging the admin fee :dozey:

Paul
23-01-2005, 12:17
Interesting news.. But if they actually enforce the cap this time, what will happen when you reach it? Will your connectione stop until the end of the month, or do they reduce the speed so you can still use it, and then turn it back up at the beginning of next month?If they manage to actually impose a system, the following is most likely what will happen ;

1. Your speed will be reduced (probably to 150k)

2. You may have the option to buy extra bandwidth, and hence have your speed reset to normal.

3. At the end of the month you will be reset.

Paul K
23-01-2005, 12:27
The one thing that really pains me is the £25.00 admin fee for existing customers. I have been with NTL since the beginning yet i am still expected to pay to be upgraded. would have been nice for NTL to reward there customers by not charging the admin fee :dozey:
To be honest I find it laughable that yet again NTL's existing long term customers who have helped pay NTL's bills for so long are again being asked to pay more for a service than a new customer who has yet to put anything into NTL's bank account. I know it's only a one off payment but surely NTL don't need to charge £25 for an upgrade which chould be done automatically across the board or by the press of a button somewhere. Obviously if someone has to have equipment swapped out then there is a cost implication but for people who only need their current modem hit with a new packet of information where is the justification for the £25 cost?

Earwig
23-01-2005, 12:35
If they are going to hard cap and charge a £25 fee for doing so then simply move to another I.S.P

Only if people ACT will they get the message. If people say NO rather than, Oh I don't really want to then they will carry on doing it.

I thought the "Admin" fee was only a rumpour anyway?? Has it now been confirmed?

SOSAGES
23-01-2005, 12:40
while this may of been asked 283347 times before i just read the news item :)

so im on 1.5 meg currently i am an old customer and do not wish to pay 25 quid to get a 3 meg connection with 40 gig a month allowence

so can i stay 1.5 meg and just have the old naff cap and the usual letter threat ?

Ramrod
23-01-2005, 12:43
Considering that I have already had 2 free speed upgrades I am not adverse to paying a one off fee to upgrade further.
I do however agree with Paul and Doofy re. why should we pay if a newcomer to ntl doesn't have to :confused:

Doofy
23-01-2005, 13:02
It seems to be the way these days, i recently had sky call me and offer me sky+
at nearly 100 quid more than for a new cutomer would get it they were told where to go as well. Moving to another isp isnt really an option for me at the mo due to the fact that BT have just this week begun upgrading to broadband. But i will monitor it and the first sign of me being cut off for going over the cap and that will be it. Not that i am a heavy user on my heaviest usage i would only ever go over the cap bt about a gig and that is extremely rarely.

DieDieMyDarling
23-01-2005, 13:32
The £25 'admin fee', is probably to subsidise the people on STB's, that need replacing, which i woudln't really mind, apart from the fact ntl are no longer subsidising heavy users, and introducing a cap. :D So i refuse to pay it, unless i get swallowed up by greed and want to try 3mb. :erm: :shocked: :erm: But i'm hoping i'll remain strong, and stand by my principles. :angel:

Doofy
23-01-2005, 14:00
One question if it has already been asked my appologies. As i understand it at this moment in time NTL have not enforced the cap i have certainly never heard anything from them. So when the speed increases are in and the cap is enforced what about the ones who do not upgrade to the new speeds?, will they still be on the soft cap or will the hard cap be enforced on them as well, only asking cos if they are not going to enfoce it on non upgraders i may as well stay on my 1.5mb

ian@huth
23-01-2005, 14:23
Looking at Simon Duffy's media presentation it says that metered broadband is coming during 2005. This could be one of two things, either new tiers with a low monthly subscription and cost per gig traffic or the proposed new speed increased tiers with a cost for traffic over the cap.

Customers who choose not to upgrade to the new speeds will, in my opinion, lose the benefit of the current soft caps. I cannot see any "soft" option remaining once "hard" caps are introduced.

Doofy
23-01-2005, 15:17
As i said i dont really max out my connection but i would like the choice to do so if i wished. I do understand that capping is a necessary evil imo. Seems to be that the majority of NTL users dont max there connection anyway but a small minority who download 24/7, what they find to download is beyond me but what the hell there choice. I keep hearing that AOL among others offer ummetered services but makes me wonder how long they can sustain it and how long it will be before the bring in caps as well.

Peet
23-01-2005, 16:36
Looking at this another way,

If I call NTL to downgrade my package from 750k to 300k, would they let me change to a package that no longer exists and will they charge a £25 admin fee?

It would be nice to get an extra 150k and pay £7/month less!

HD462
23-01-2005, 16:55
To be honest I find it laughable that yet again NTL's existing long term customers who have helped pay NTL's bills for so long are again being asked to pay more for a service than a new customer who has yet to put anything into NTL's bank account. I know it's only a one off payment but surely NTL don't need to charge £25 for an upgrade which chould be done automatically across the board or by the press of a button somewhere. Obviously if someone has to have equipment swapped out then there is a cost implication but for people who only need their current modem hit with a new packet of information where is the justification for the £25 cost?

I've said the same too, earlier in the thread I think. I don't know how they can offer new customers, half price TV. Internet whatever for X months, yet offer their existing, loyal customers nothing. What happened to looking after your regulars like other businesses do?

I spend nearly £1000 a year with ntl, and have been with them since they first arrived in our area 8yrs ago (Comcast as it was then), you'd think they'd offer some incentive to keep your custom, because if I ever do move, it'll be all services, not just the TV or the Internet (how many times have I nearly done it now...lol :) )

I'll be phoning when it's time ans seeing if they're willing to waive it. I'm sure there's plenty people who spend as much (maybe more) as I do. That's lots of custom to lose if they all jump ship. After all ntl isn't that competitive now compared to all the other offers you can get, it's just handy having everything under one roof, with one or two bills.

It doesn't mean we won't put up with the hassle on day though and move our custom elsewhere, just as we did when we came to ntl in the first place. I don't want to leave, but I also think they should look after the customers they already have.

Doofy
23-01-2005, 19:12
Ditto i spend well over the £1000 pound a year mark and on the whole am quite satisfied with the internet side of things, but if needs be i will have to look elsewhere. I have already taken my telephone custom elsewhere due to NTLs incompetenece (seperate thread, seperate nightmare) And if need be i will take my other custom elsewher also and i suspect i may not be the only one. As i said i am quite satisfied with the broadband i just resent having to subsidise the offers to new customers (not there fault i know) so i will also ask if they are willing to waive the transfer fee and take it from there.

Loop
23-01-2005, 19:32
i have been with ntl for many many years and thinking to change, and i will refuse to pay extra £25 and be hard capet why should we be forced to do this and pay i might has well get me net cutt off and come back 1 month later, will be shoping around when this happends you can see what is coming next charging you per download next, what about us gamers 7 hour of gaming and then capet well i lov on line games and if hard capt then i am sure some one will give me an better deal my wife plays party poker on line on her computer too so look like the end of the road for us on ntl time to shop around

Chrysalis
23-01-2005, 19:33
well Reason for me considering business lite.

It has hefty setup fee, but if you remove the £25 upgrade fee which you would be paying anyway then its suddenly not so bad, and you save £2 a month on the monthly fee. (the business lite package price is a good bit of proof the the top tier residental package is overpriced but I think this is deliberate by ntl they clearly want that part of their userbase gone)

In addition to the £2 a month there is no cap 9 till 5 and I expect I would probably be pushed ahead of residental peeps in call centre queues.

Doofy
23-01-2005, 19:47
well it will be business lite for me if they insist on introducing a hard cap across the board or i will be forced to look elsewhere. Apart from myself i have kids that use this comp and connection. even though i doubt that i will go over the cap i would like the security of knowing my connection will not be clipped should i go over it slightly. Although the speed increase would be nice the restrictions are going to hit some people hard, especially if you have more than one comp connected to the same connection, then suddenly the caps will come into play.

zaax
23-01-2005, 20:09
an upgrade to the upload speed would be better

shibby
24-01-2005, 02:47
good on ntl for doing faster internet at a lower price mark.
but the question is will ntl do the work?

the cap limit is pretty poor 30gb in some months we would have to make it last a day longer.

does this mean the modems will need changeing?
i got a pace 4000(refurbished and can be slow and needs restarting every few days) with a modem in it. would this require me a new set top box which i would love :D

Ben
24-01-2005, 09:18
40Gb a month is plenty for me :) I will not be moving unless I get poor service. just my 2p

slowcoach
24-01-2005, 13:17
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:43:18 GMT
1st 128K took 25 ms = 5242880 Bytes/sec = approx 43621 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec

Fedora 64Bit + Firefox + latest patches.
NTL 1.5Mb
Hey, even NTL WebMail is working like lightening, for the first time ever in my experience.

For a minute I thought I had been freely :erm: and quietly upgraded to the (soon to be rumoured) 5Mb Tier. :dunce:

If NTL don't hurry up with the speed increases we will still be on the bottom rung when they do arrive, are we awaiting a celebrity to press the button or what? :cool:
I hear Jimmy Tarbuck is now free since the P&O Cruise Ship (Aroura?) limped back into Southampton, available and cheap (should appeal to NTL).

(don't mention Southampton in any message containing the word speed)

sorry :D

you have to laugh...

Doofy
24-01-2005, 13:54
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:43:18 GMT
1st 128K took 25 ms = 5242880 Bytes/sec = approx 43621 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 24 ms = 5461333 Bytes/sec = approx 45438 kbits/sec

Fedora 64Bit + Firefox + latest patches.
NTL 1.5Mb
Hey, even NTL WebMail is working like lightening, for the first time ever in my experience.

For a minute I thought I had been freely :erm: and quietly upgraded to the (soon to be rumoured) 5Mb Tier. :dunce:

If NTL don't hurry up with the speed increases we will still be on the bottom rung when they do arrive, are we awaiting a celebrity to press the button or what? :cool:
I hear Jimmy Tarbuck is now free since the P&O Cruise Ship (Aroura?) limped back into Southampton, available and cheap (should appeal to NTL).

(don't mention Southampton in any message containing the word speed)

sorry :D

you have to laugh...
lol made me chuckle while i am on the phone to NTL cancellations 65 mins and holding.........

slowcoach
24-01-2005, 14:23
Cancellations will be a premium rate call next, just to squeeze the last bit of blood...

The Butler
24-01-2005, 15:59
First off I've read pages 1-7 and 12 but got bored so if what I ask has been covered in pages 8-11 then I apologise. Sods law and all that.

Im a poor student.
I signed up originally for the 150k service for £17.99
This was then upgraded last time round to 300k at £17.99
My mate moved in so with two computers using the service but now with two incomes I upgraded to 1.5mb at £37.99

However I don't really need a 3mb service and I especially don't really need to pay £25 admin fee for it.

From what I've read I've got to phone up to get them to upgrade me.

Therefore my questions are:
Part A)
1) If don't phone them and stay on my 1.5mb service will they charge me £17.99 or £24.99 for it as I will be on their lowest or middle tier (not top)?

2) If I have to phone them up can I ask them to put me back down to the lower tier as even though I'm contracted to 12 months with NTL isn't that contract based on the original contract signed (which was their lower tier 150k service at £17.99) and/or when I upgraded to my 1.5mb at £37.99 I was signing up for 1.5mb service and its a bit unfair if they make me stick with 3mb at £37.99 as thats not the service I agreed to so if they've decided to decrease the price of the 1.5mb service thats their own promotional offer and nothing to do with me.

3) If I phone them up and have to ask them to decrease my tier to charge me £17.99 or £24.99 for the 1mb or 2mb service will I still be charged £25 admin fee for them... doing nothing.

Part B)
1) What are the current upload speeds on NTL packages? (or link to that info)

Thanks guys

Doofy
24-01-2005, 16:06
Going on the business lite from earlier in this thread i just received this from NTL

and they called me back in record time from the email i sent them seems they do look after there business customers, neway for anyone interested

Our Broadband costs as requested.
There are no download limits during business hours (08.00-18.00 Mon-Fri),
out of these hours there is a 30 Gb download limit per month.

Broadband Lite (single user)

Installation £90 (One off charge)
Rental 1.5Mb £34.99 per month, there are no additional charges.
Rental 750k £24.99 per month, there are no additional charges.

Offer is on a 24 month deal
Payable by Direct Debit
Installation - Within 25 working days

Static IP addressing £10.00 one off charge. (If required)
· Faster email & internet access (Up to 30 times faster with 1.5meg than a
dial up connection)
· Fixed monthly cost no matter how long you stay on line
· Free registration of a .co.uk domain name of your choice (subject to
availability)
· 60 Mgs of web space for you to host your own website
· 10 email addresses for you & your staff
· 24-hr technical support helpline
· Manage your account online
· Lower contention ratio than many other suppliers

This offer also includes, if required, up to 8 Business analogue lines to be
installed free of charge. (Monthly line rental £13 per line per month)

HD462
24-01-2005, 16:38
I've been watching you talking about this business version with interest. But don't you think the £90 install fee (considering you're already up and running really), is a bit of a sticking point? It might take a while before you claw that back compared to what you're on now.

Also, the webspace and email address allowance looks a bit tight, only 60mb for a business, where we all get 55mb on residential anyway, and only 10 email addresses, where we already get 15 anyhow.

I did here before the last speed upgrade on various forums, that they were upping the webspace allowance, but it never seemed to happen. It would be handy as mine is nearly full, and you have to decide to deleter something when you want to put something else on.

Doofy
24-01-2005, 17:04
yup the 90 pound does seem a bit harsh but if and only if the decide to charge a £ 25.00 fee to upgrade take tha off and it's only £65.00. I must say i have been onto NTL a few times today and you wouldnt beleive the speedy efficient service on the business side of things.

Neil
24-01-2005, 17:11
A 2 year contract though? :erm:

That's a long time to be contracted to any supplier, let alone ntl.

Doofy
24-01-2005, 17:20
Yup very true it is a long time and the direct debit didnt please me either, having been a victim of NTL's bodged direct debit in the past. dont think i would be able to let them losse with another one. Maybe best to see which way the capping goes. Not a lot of point in rushing into these things after all like you say 2 years is a long time.

Chrysalis
24-01-2005, 17:31
Going on the business lite from earlier in this thread i just received this from NTL

and they called me back in record time from the email i sent them seems they do look after there business customers, neway for anyone interested

Payable by Direct Debit

dial up connection)
availability)

This has made me even more interested, I knew static ip was possible on cable but been repeated told it isnt, yet here it is for business customers :D I pay by direct debit anyway so the only sticky point for me is the install fee.

Does this package get a speed boost when residental users go upto 3mbit or is this 1.5mbit staying the same? ignition or anyone else.

thanks

ian@huth
24-01-2005, 17:33
Don't forget with NTL Broadband Lite that you are only allowed to connect one computer and that prices are probably excluding VAT.

Chrysalis
24-01-2005, 17:40
yeah if exc vat it will push it over the residental price, but I think might still be worth it, it looks a different class of service.

Stuart
24-01-2005, 17:44
This has made me even more interested, I knew static ip was possible on cable but been repeated told it isnt, yet here it is for business customers :D I pay by direct debit anyway so the only sticky point for me is the install fee.
I have to admit, I always wondered why NTL say it's not possible. After all, a static IP address is assigned to a Mac address, and the cable modem has one of those.

I am sure Ignition or somebody will be along to enlighten us.

Does this package get a speed boost when residental users go upto 3mbit or is this 1.5mbit staying the same? ignition or anyone else.

thanks

I think someone said earlier in this thread said they were told NTL would, but not for a few months.

Doofy
24-01-2005, 17:45
i asked the same questions myself and many thanks to FIONA :disturbd: the prices quoted are inclusive of vat, and the business lite package is for up to 3 computers. Hope this helps. oops i forgot the 1.5mb will be upped to 3mb as well no charge.

mrlipring
24-01-2005, 17:57
ooh, i'm moving into a flat with NTL on sunday, and as much as i like NTL's service a few years ago, the capping these days will really put me off.

If the business package is as you guys say, it might be worth my while. I'm a heavy downloader, but the 13GB i can do during offpeak will be plenty, and then when we get back from work, the pipe can be used for browsing and halo 2 :D

Can residential customers get business packages ok, though?

edit: and if i were to take a residential package at first, could i upgrade to a business package?

Doofy
24-01-2005, 18:04
ooh, i'm moving into a flat with NTL on sunday, and as much as i like NTL's service a few years ago, the capping these days will really put me off.

If the business package is as you guys say, it might be worth my while. I'm a heavy downloader, but the 13GB i can do during offpeak will be plenty, and then when we get back from work, the pipe can be used for browsing and halo 2 :D

Can residential customers get business packages ok, though?

Now that is the question when NTL rang me they asked me why i required a buisness line, and i simply told them that i was considering running my own business and didnt want to run into any problems running it from a residential line. The lady cocerned wasquite satisfied with this, and proceeded to answer all my questions in a polite manner. I then asked her if she would mind emailing this info to me for confirmation and my own records, and she did almost instantly, If only the rest of NTL could be like that.

mrlipring
24-01-2005, 19:45
Do we know if the business packages will get the speed increase as well?

ian@huth
24-01-2005, 20:28
i asked the same questions myself and many thanks to FIONA :disturbd: the prices quoted are inclusive of vat, and the business lite package is for up to 3 computers. Hope this helps. oops i forgot the 1.5mb will be upped to 3mb as well no charge.

This info doesn't fit in with what it says on the NTL Business website and normal business practice for quoting prices. Business Lite is stated to be for single user and the more expensive business package for multi user / network. http://business.ntl.com/product_solutions/internet_products/business_broadband/index.php?cmd=broadband_packages

Doofy
24-01-2005, 21:03
This info doesn't fit in with what it says on the NTL Business website and normal business practice for quoting prices. Business Lite is stated to be for single user and the more expensive business package for multi user / network. http://business.ntl.com/product_solutions/internet_products/business_broadband/index.php?cmd=broadband_packages

Not the first time the home page has been wrong there is absolutley nothing stopping anyone connecting up to 3 computers on the business lite package. If this were not the case i wouldnt even be considering switching to this package hence the email from NTL Busines team which states 1 to 3 computers any more than that is a big no no. As it was explained to me single user means single business not single computer connected.

HD462
24-01-2005, 21:13
If you were using a router, how would they know how many you had connected anyway, as all they'd see would be the router wouldn't it?

Seems unfair that they'd limit a business to one computer when they don't with home users, they even recommend routers, and home networking on their site. If you're using a router you still only have one IP address anyway, on the WAN side, the router gives them to your PCs on the LAN side of the router.

Loop
24-01-2005, 21:23
yes its true, you can have up to 3 computers business lite package i rang them and also go an email from them about it and thinking to go for it my self

thank you Doofy for the information on this your just a great guy helping other member out wish they was more peeps like you

they also told me the 1.5 mb will be 3mb and cheaper them what i am paying now nice one doofy

now i can stay with ntl has i was going to go to an other ISP so this deal is well worth it:tu: :angel: ;) :D

depending on your router has i can change my IPs in mine dont no if u can in others but i am not botherd about my ip

i have 3 computer on my router and my son sends me an email and i see a different ip number to mine and also my wife is different and all bhind a router

Dear XXXXX,

Payable by Direct Debit

dial up connection)
availability)

If you have any queries or wish to place an order please call me on the
number below.

Kind regards

Wendy Barnwell
Ntl: Business Sales
Tel:0800 052 9000 (press sales option)
Fax:0800 052 5783
Email: wendy.barnwell@ntl.com (wendy.barnwell@ntl.com)

Terms and Conditions for quotes:
Subject to contract - Subject to network availability - Subject to full site
survey - Prices exclude VAT - Prices are budgetary and subject to change -
Non standard products are subject to final approval via NTL Business
Approval Process
ntl note:
This email is made in commercial confidence. It does not constitute an
official offer. Proposals will be subject to survey and wayleave. It is
intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) only and the contents
should not be disclosed to any other person. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately.

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention
of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is
unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any
representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited

Doofy
24-01-2005, 21:27
As i said there is nothing stopping you connecting more than 1 pc, i presume the weekend usage would come under that cap as well. One thing though, if all of a sudden people start to jump for the small business pack maybe NTL will begin to question there motives. Seeing as i do one hell of a lot of photoshop work and get paid for it then maybe it may be time for me to go this pack. Got ot keep the pennies coming in

ian@huth
24-01-2005, 21:31
If you were using a router, how would they know how many you had connected anyway, as all they'd see would be the router wouldn't it?

Seems unfair that they'd limit a business to one computer when they don't with home users, they even recommend routers, and home networking on their site. If you're using a router you still only have one IP address anyway, on the WAN side, the router gives them to your PCs on the LAN side of the router.

If you was using a router they probably would not know, but it is possible to see beyond the router.

NTL Business advertise two services and two tiers. Broadband Lite 750k is £24.99 for single user and then there is Broadband for (multi user/network) †“ 750K for only £59.99 a month. Why have a multi user / network option if you can run 3 computers on single user? Something seems a bit fishy.

The email that Loopy got does not state that you can run three computers on Broadband Lite. It does however say that prices DO NOT include VAT as Doofy said that he was told they do.

Doofy
24-01-2005, 21:48
this email does say that it is up to 3 computers you are right on the vat point i was tols this over the phone when i questiones it, Although i have been with NTL Long enough to not rely on what i was told over the phone but i will seek clarifacation on these points

Single user options for 3 or under computers
>
> Rental 1.5M £34.99 per month
> Rental 750K £24.99 per month
>
> Install charge £90.00
>
> Fixed Ip addressing is a one off charge of £10.00 for up to 5.
>
> All options provide:
>
> * · Faster email & internet access (30 times faster with 1meg than a
> dial up connection)
> * · Fixed monthly cost no matter how long you stay on line
> * · Free registration of a .co.uk domain name of your choice (subject
> to availability)
> * · 60 Mgs of web space for you to host your own website
> * · 10 email addresses for you & your staff
> * · 24-hr technical support helpline
> * · Manage your account online
> * · Lower contention ratio than many other suppliers
>
> INSTALLATION OF UPTO 8 TELEPHONE LINES CAN BE INCLUDED AS PART OF PACKAGE
> OFFER.
>
> Line rental £13.00 per month per line.
>
> If you have any queries or wish to place an order please return an email
> and I will be happy to call you or call me on the number below and ask for
> Fiona.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Fiona Carey
> Tel 0800 052 9000 option 4 (ask for Fiona)
> Ntl Business Solutions
> fiona.carey@ntl.com (fiona.carey@ntl.com)
>
>
> Terms and Conditions for quotes:
> Subject to contract - Subject to network availability - Subject to full
> site survey - Prices exclude VAT - Prices are budgetary and subject to
> change - Non standard products are subject to final approval via NTL
> Business Approval Process
> ntl note:
> This e-mail is made in commercial confidence. It does not constitute an
> official offer. Proposals will be subject to survey and wayleave. It is
> intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) only and the contents
> should not be disclosed to any other person. If you are not the intended
> recipient please notify the sender immediately.
>
>

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal attention
of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended
addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is
unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message. Any
representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited

carlingman
24-01-2005, 23:11
:D Not wishing to **** on anyones Chips here but surely if it was that easy to switch to a Business Package for a one off fee and a slight increase in price surely NTL as shrewd as they are would have covered all bases on this one.

The easiest way for to detect this, like many other companies do is when you try and sign up for a Business deal as a residential customer the first thing they are going to ask for is your VAT Reg Number.

Im guessing it is not mentioned in the emails posted but the disclaimer will no doubt cover that.

Doofy
24-01-2005, 23:53
Most probably but not all businesses have to register for vat though as far as i am aware. Ther are a exceptions whilst doing my business plan i would not have been required to be vat registered.

Your taxable supplies, distance sales, or acquisitions are not expected to exceed £56,000 in the next 30 days, and have not exceeded £56,000 in the past 12 months...

Then:

VAT registration is not necessary in these circumstances although businesses can register for VAT on a voluntary basis to be able to reclaim VAT on purchases. Anyone who registers will also have to account for tax on their sales, where appropriate. Apply to your local VAT office (http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/vat/send-regnderegvars.htm) on form VAT1.

ian@huth
25-01-2005, 00:10
Terms and conditions include
Subject to contract - Subject to network availability - Subject to full site survey
Perhaps if NTL think that customers are trying to move to a business connection to evade the consequences of capping they will look at their past usage history and fail them on one of those conditions.

Doofy
25-01-2005, 00:18
Terms and conditions include

Perhaps if NTL think that customers are trying to move to a business connection to evade the consequences of capping they will look at their past usage history and fail them on one of those conditions.

You never know but that wasnt mentioned to me by NTL the only requisite they had was that i was out of contract on my residential line and as i am well over my 12 month contract wasn't a problem. Full site survey isnt problem as plenty of people run businesses from home these days. Does seem a bit too easy though

Hans Gruber
25-01-2005, 00:20
Might be easy but I still wouldn't fancy that 2 year contract. Technology moves so fast I wouldn't want to be stuck anywhere.

Doofy
25-01-2005, 00:27
Yup got to agree on that 1 2 years is a long time to be tied to one company especially one with NTLs reputation. Having said that for the whole my internet connection has been pretty good in all the years i have been with NTL

Hans Gruber
25-01-2005, 00:30
Also ADSL2+ should be out some time later this year with some nice speed increases, wouldn't want to have to miss out on that :)

Chrysalis
25-01-2005, 06:15
I know of other isp's that happily let residental users use their business packages, if NTL were to block us from doing this then they really have got to the bottom of the pit. As doofy said you dont require a vat number to be a business, and I think ntl will happily accept orders after all its a 2 year lock in and a nice £90 signup fee which beats the free setup on residental. If only the ntl: home team had as much sense, they obviously throwing silly money away on these free installs.

Mattitude
25-01-2005, 06:28
http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/cable/Unlimited/

:Yikes: How can australian isp's offer that, and us be stuck at these speeds?

(Okay, so they say they slow down if it's over 10gig a month, but still...)

etccarmageddon
25-01-2005, 07:29

the speed is variable - when it's a peak time I wouldnt be surprised if it's 128 down as well as up!

Electrolyte01
25-01-2005, 08:14

Because this is rip-off Britain :rolleyes:

Doofy
25-01-2005, 08:42
The last time NTL brought up capping and i complained to them, they told me then if iwas such a heavy user they would happily put me on to there business pack. As per usual money comes into it and they might as well collect the revenue, that along with the 2 year contract and compulsory direct debit, much better than having your customers leave.

mrlipring
25-01-2005, 13:22
Ok, i've just been on the phone to NTL's business sales, and i've been told that i can upgrade from a residential package to a business package as long as i give them a month's notice. I'll phone residential sales in a second, to double check, but i also asked the business saleswoman about the speed increases. She says there are no speed increases scheduled for business customers. I'm assuming that's incorrect... I know that communication between departments can be terrible (used to work for scottish power...), and that often the PR and marketing bods often know about this kinda stuff before it hits the grunts on the phones, but can anyone confirm whether the speed upgrades will be across the board?

Doofy
25-01-2005, 13:54
I was told yesterday that the speed increases would be across the board, but am looking for confirmation one way or the other have just emailed the business team. According to NTL CS yesterday when i tried to get my service disconnected completely they told me there were no speed increases planned for NTL Period. Just goes to show that one department doesnt communicate with the others, no change there then. Soon as i hear from the NTL business team i will let you know what they say.

Ignition
25-01-2005, 13:56
LOL Nah if you really want to upset yourself about where the UK is compared to the rest of the world check out http://www.broadbandreports.com/archive

Ooo 9 of top 10 Canadian bwahaha

UK only (http://www.broadbandreports.com/archive?c=uk)

jfunk
25-01-2005, 14:58
So it IS happening after all?

ProfPete
25-01-2005, 14:58
Ig - if you go back 2 or 3 pages, there was discussion of static IPs, and a request for your comment.

I think I know the reason why it won't work, but would be interested to know how the business tariff solves that...

Ignition
25-01-2005, 15:04
2 ways to do static IP on cable, 1 is semi-static the other 'truly' static that I can think of anyway!

First way semi-static is to do fixed entry in the DHCP dbase and treat this IP as reserved for x customer and only usable from that cable modem. Downside is that certain things can break this IP and it no longer routes properly.

The truly static way is to use PPPoE so that an IP is taken from a central pool rather than local DHCP servers. Think this is the way that Telewest are doing it going by the way their static IPs route.

No idea how ntl are doing it, may be doing it a completely different way, I'm not an expert on these things :shrug:

cookie_365
25-01-2005, 18:52

The small print:
Things you should know

Speeds are presented in a downstream/upstream format. eg uncapped/128 means best available speed for downloads and up to 128 kbps for uploads. These speeds are the theoretical maximum speed achievable on a plan at any given time and are not guaranteed (i.e. customers may not achieve speeds of up to 128kbps). Speeds may vary from time to time depending on plan selected, Internet traffic, site server capacity and other factors.
Minimum package cost on a 12 month Unlimited* Cable plan is $978.40 (includes installation). Early termination fees may apply.
Monthly Usage means your total data transfers (metered downloads and uploads) for each calendar month. 1 Gigabyte (GB) is 1,000 Megabytes (MB). Unused Monthly Usage forfeited.
Our additional user charges are $1.00 per user per month.
You may qualify for a Reward Options package. To find out more visit our Reward Options site (http://www.telstra.com.au/rewardoptions).

That's what, 450 quid or so? I'd want way more than 10 Gigs for that - and how fast is 'best available'? Looks crap to me :erm:

ProfPete
25-01-2005, 19:02
Aussie $ is 2.5/£

I presume that's per year. So that works out at around £32.50 per month.

And best available on DOCSIS, that's around 25mbps mark...

JohnHorb
25-01-2005, 19:16
If you browse the site, the best speed available is 1.5MB down/128 KB up - sound familiar?

Ignition
25-01-2005, 21:29
Looking at the forums people on this package tend to hit about 10Mbps, suspect that the modems are 10-baseTX so that's maxing the ethernet port out.

EDIT: At least one cable provider in Australia also has a period overnight where they don't meter. at this time I'd imagine speeds are significantly slower, more info is on the web, Google is your friend, I just cba to search for it at the mo.

Halcyon
27-01-2005, 12:58
Anyone know any updates on the speed upgrades:

300k to 1mb
750k to 2mb
1mb to 3mb

I havent heard much news about it recently and if I was to phone up NTL right now and offer to pay the £25 admin charge, would they do it or has it not taken off as yet ?

Mick
27-01-2005, 13:54
Anyone know any updates on the speed upgrades:

300k to 1mb
750k to 2mb
1mb to 3mb

I havent heard much news about it recently and if I was to phone up NTL right now and offer to pay the £25 admin charge, would they do it or has it not taken off as yet ?

It has not taken off yet. That's why you have not heard much news about it. :cool:

mcmanic
27-01-2005, 14:10
speaking to my m8 who works for NTL, after their meeting with bigwigs, there is NO hard enforced cap and all 1.5meg customers will get upgraded automatically to 3meg with no charge!

No doubt there will be the non belivers here, but he has been right in the past.

and its happening in March

Hans Gruber
27-01-2005, 14:20
speaking to my m8 who works for NTL, after their meeting with bigwigs, there is NO hard enforced cap and all 1.5meg customers will get upgraded automatically to 3meg with no charge!

No doubt there will be the non belivers here, but he has been right in the past.

Well if that turns out to be true, they won't be losing my custom just yet :p:

But we shall see...

Chris W
27-01-2005, 14:25

i wonder if you mate:
1) is either speculating
2) has forgotten about the NDA he will have signed if he actually has hold of this information- in which case i would tell him not to blab too much because if he does he can be fired for gross misconduct ;)
3) or has got hold of one tiny piece of information and done the magic sum.... 2 + 2 =5

hmm....

Graham F
27-01-2005, 14:59
For what its worth I have been told by someone well placed at ntl that the upgrades will actually start in the 3rd week in Feb, and if the first area happens without glitch then customers and the rest of the ntl staff will be told, and the rest of the upgrade will happen in March :)

Halcyon
27-01-2005, 15:33
I bumped into an NTL stall in town today and decided to go and ask them the question and they said it should be started in the next coming weeks, not months, so thats a good sign.

etccarmageddon
27-01-2005, 15:55
this all sounds positive.

Mick
27-01-2005, 16:13
I bumped into an NTL stall in town today and decided to go and ask them the question and they said it should be started in the next coming weeks, not months, so thats a good sign.

The speeds were scheduled to launch in Q1 2005 so that more or less means in the coming weeks.... They have not told you anything new from what we already know. ;)

tomjleeds
27-01-2005, 18:28

The thing about 1.5Mbps customers not having to pay the admin fee makes sense - they won't need a new modem. Perhaps it will only apply to customers with the old STB modems? That'd be nice...then I won't have to pay it *grins at Samsung STB*

I'm not sure about the cap. I think it'd be foolish for them to hard-enforce it, I have to say.

slowcoach
27-01-2005, 19:53

Later in the year the top tier price will reduce a few quid, hard caps will also be introduced with excess bandwidth charged at £1.99 per Gig thus undercutting the BT excess bandwidth charge by 1p.
Either that or we will all be moved to TeleWest charges and conditions.
Whatever happens 99.9% of users will be happy with the outcome, just you see.... ;)

daxx
27-01-2005, 19:53

What I saw (cause I've just got up and I'm on nights and still a bit tired :dozey:)

I bumped into an NTL stall in town today and decided to go and ask them the question and they said it should be started in the next coming

this sounds more plausible :D

garyparson
28-01-2005, 14:28
So from what I understand, there's a £25 charge to 'upgrade' because of the change of old box to new box. If I complain that my current box is faulty, or at least the f'ing software regarding the sound is, would they charge me to change that to a newer box? If I mention that I'm going to be on the 2MB service would they just put a newer box in to save the hassle of coming out yet again? Would I still be charged for an 'upgrade'?

Maggy
28-01-2005, 14:36
So from what I understand, there's a £25 charge to 'upgrade' because of the change of old box to new box. If I complain that my current box is faulty, or at least the f'ing software regarding the sound is, would they charge me to change that to a newer box? If I mention that I'm going to be on the 2MB service would they just put a newer box in to save the hassle of coming out yet again? Would I still be charged for an 'upgrade'?

Oh just pay the £25 because you aren't going to get the upgrade otherwise. ;)

jtwn
28-01-2005, 14:38
Well if they come to do a boxswap they are going to see if the original is faulty surely..and anyway that would be just trying to swindle the system.

I guess you could upgrade for a month and see. If i am understanding this right, people with SACMs will have to pay the fee aswell?

etccarmageddon
28-01-2005, 15:05
yes ALL existing customers will have to pay the £25 fee if they want to move to the new speeds.

jtwn
28-01-2005, 15:20
Right, k thanks.

Unless speaking to my m8 who works for NTL, after their meeting with bigwigs, there is NO hard enforced cap and all 1.5meg customers will get upgraded automatically to 3meg with no charge!

he is right. Which i doubt, as metered bb is happening soon.

mohikan22
28-01-2005, 15:39
look slik eill be finding me a new ISP soon then a: im not gonna pay 25 notes for "their" upgrading. and as for a 40gb cap yuk to that. thast just dirty man. dirty.:mad:

trebor
28-01-2005, 15:59
will we be able to upgrade online because you can spend £25 just trying to phone NTL ;). If it's possible online is there a link yet?

Graham F
28-01-2005, 16:09
you can't upgrade anywhere yet as the new speeds aren't ready yet ;)

etccarmageddon
28-01-2005, 16:39
will we be able to upgrade online because you can spend £25 just trying to phone NTL ;). If it's possible online is there a link yet?
yes, you need to click here!

http://rrr.kimcm.dk/Notes/Impatience.html

Stuart
28-01-2005, 16:41
What I saw (cause I've just got up and I'm on nights and still a bit tired :dozey:)

I bumped into an NTL stall in town today and decided to go and ask them the question and they said it should be started in the next coming

this sounds more plausible :D

I can just imagine it foretold in the Bilble.

And he said "Thou shalt have faster broadband" and they looked. They did indeed have faster broadband. And he said "Thy broadband shalt be capped" and they looked. Their broadband was indeed capped.

BTW, apologies to those of a religious persuasion. No offence meant.

dragon
28-01-2005, 16:51
look slik eill be finding me a new ISP soon then a: im not gonna pay 25 notes for "their" upgrading. and as for a 40gb cap yuk to that. thast just dirty man. dirty.:mad:

:mad: rip off esp for those who dont even need new equipment to get the higher speeds.

why should we have to pay £25 for someone @ ntl to press a button.

Maggy
28-01-2005, 17:01
:mad: rip off esp for those who dont even need new equipment to get the higher speeds.

Because it's their right to charge whatever they like. :shrug:

Seems cheap to me considering you get upgraded for a flat £25 and the monthly cost remains where it is at present.You could have been just asked to pay more each month instead!! :erm:

I dunno.how dare NTL offer two upgrades in speed in 12 months for the added cost of ONLY £25. ;)

etccarmageddon
28-01-2005, 17:04
Seems cheap to me considering you get upgraded for a flat £25 and the monthly cost remains where it is at present.You could have been just asked to pay more each month instead!! :erm:

a one off charge of £25 is very cheap compared to 3 years ago when NTL offered the 1mb product for a whopping £50 a month.

Stuart
28-01-2005, 17:04

Look at it like this. NTL have spent tens of millions upgrading the network to give everyone one upgrade for free. Maybe they are under pressure to get some of that money back?

I am not sure if a £25 one off fee is a rip off. If they were charging £25 extra a month, it would be.

jtwn
28-01-2005, 17:05
Don't bt charge for migration between packages anyway? And that, if going up would be an increase in price too :erm:

Nanook
28-01-2005, 17:10
My Swedish is not too good, but this looks )))))))FAST! http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/se/index.jsp?t=2

Stuart
28-01-2005, 17:21
My Swedish is not too good, but this looks )))))))FAST! http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/se/index.jsp?t=2

It is. It's not really fair to compare Sweden's broadband network with ours, as ours has been largely privately funded, and the Swedish government spent billions of pounds installing a broadband network for swedish ISPs to use. If our government had done the same, I suspect we would have broadband at the same speed.

slowcoach
28-01-2005, 17:21

hint: click on the union jack. ;)

Hans Gruber
28-01-2005, 17:54
Even I don't have a problem with the £25 admin fee :p:

mcmanic
28-01-2005, 19:33
there will be no admin fee for 1.5mb users, they will be upgraded to 3meg automatically