PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of TV, but keeping Broadband (for now)

Hans Gruber
11-01-2005, 15:28
I've currently got NTL TV, phone and broadband going through the STB, but for obvious reasons, I'm going to go over to Sky and DSL. For now I want to get rid of the TV and phone service but keep the broadband until I really need to switch over (once the caps are enforced).

Does anyone know whether they will switch me over to a regular SACM? Also will they force me into another 12 month contract for broadband? I did phone NTL but it's luck of the draw if you get anyone useful on phone...

bob_builder
11-01-2005, 15:46
Does anyone know whether they will switch me over to a regular SACM? Also will they force me into another 12 month contract for broadband? I did phone NTL but it's luck of the draw if you get anyone useful on phone...
From posts I have read I would say that they will probably leave you with your current STB (but you will no longer be able to receive TV through it as they will deactivate your smart card). You will not have to start a new 12-month contract for your broadband.

Neil
11-01-2005, 15:56
From posts I have read I would say that they will probably leave you with your current STB (but you will no longer be able to receive TV through it as they will deactivate your smart card). You will not have to start a new 12-month contract for your broadband.

I'm not sure that is as concrete as you imply.

I have seen posts here to different effect, in that they have been allowed to lose the STB & get a SACM, but have been forced into a new 12 month contract, & other people have had it as you describe with keeping the STB & getting a SACM, yet not being forced into a new contract.

I think it depends on the reason for the change too-if they were swapping from STB BB to SACM because of reliablity issues, then no further charges/contracts should appear, but if you choose to drop STB & ask for SACM, then ntl need to recoup those costs somewhere.

bob_builder
11-01-2005, 16:31
I'm not sure that is as concrete as you imply.
Fair enough, I was basing my resonse only on the posts I had read.

It would seem fair that NTL would require a new 12-month contract if you were requesting a SACM to be installed as this would be just like a new customer installation. It would also seem fair for NTL to not require a new 12-month contract if all they were doing was remotely turning off services that did not require a service visit.

Hans Gruber
11-01-2005, 17:13
Thanks for the replies, if I have to keep the STB it's pretty big to have in the living room just for the internet. :(

Actually, thinking about there are a couple of unused cable sockets, one right next to a PC, would I be able to move the STB there without much hassle? I notice when NTL upgraded us to digital they put some new box thing on the wall next to the socket, is that just needed for digital TV or for internet aswell?

bob_builder
12-01-2005, 10:48
Actually, thinking about there are a couple of unused cable sockets, one right next to a PC, would I be able to move the STB there without much hassle? I notice when NTL upgraded us to digital they put some new box thing on the wall next to the socket, is that just needed for digital TV or for internet aswell?
It might be that those cable sockets have been disconnected. All I can suggest is that you plug the STB into the socket by your PC and see if it works.

Hans Gruber
13-01-2005, 14:30
Right, after endlessly being redirectly so the same departments of yesterday, I got them to cancel the TV and phone (which didn't need 30 days notice) and they'll be switching the STB for a SACM, free of charge and no 12 month contract.

In all honesty I've had a pretty good experience with NTL over the years and it's a shame I have to leave them, due to a download cap. :(

ian@huth
13-01-2005, 14:44
Right, after endlessly being redirectly so the same departments of yesterday, I got them to cancel the TV and phone (which didn't need 30 days notice) and they'll be switching the STB for a SACM, free of charge and no 12 month contract.

In all honesty I've had a pretty good experience with NTL over the years and it's a shame I have to leave them, due to a download cap. :(

What I don't understand is why did you have to leave NTL for TV and telephone and continue with broadband at this time when your reason for leaving is the proposed broadband cap. :confused:

Would it not have been wiser to wait and see how the situation panned out first?

It seems illogical to give up a service that you have said has been a good experience to go to one that you cannot be sure of. Who knows if the ISP you choose when, or if, you move to ADSL will decide to implement a cap on their service. I know that you can change to another uncapped ISP on ADSL but the more ISPs that operate capping, the more that will follow. It can be an expensive and problematic route to take if you are constantly swapping providers if there is a charge for the transfers. Look at the problems Bifta has had.

Hans Gruber
13-01-2005, 15:31
Sky TV is cheaper... Currently for base Cable TV package I'm paying £21.50 a month including a phone I don't need. Sky costs £13.50, free install, and 2 months free subscription.

The impending cap finally forced me over. If the cap is not enforced I'll keep cable internet, and have a cheaper overall monthly bill, if not I'll switch over to DSL.

So in answer to your question, I consider what I'm doing to be 'wise'.

Chris
13-01-2005, 15:36
Sky TV is cheaper... Currently for base Cable TV package I'm paying £21.50 a month including a phone I don't need. Sky costs £13.50, free install, and 2 months free subscription.

The impending cap finally forced me over. If the cap is not enforced I'll keep cable internet, and have a cheaper overall monthly bill, if not I'll switch over to DSL.

I'd check the small print before you sign with $ky if I were you. You won't get free install if you choose the base pack, you will pay a fee of £60.

Of course, you can sign up for the £19.50 family pack and then downgrade after the free sub period, provided there is no tie in - there wasn't on the deal I signed up for before Christmas. ;)

Just be warned, you get a lot more in NTL's base pack than in Sky's. TBH if bargain-basement DTV is what you want, I'd stick with NTL - it's worth the extra pahnd in my opinion, and personally I never had any problems with the phone service either.

Hans Gruber
13-01-2005, 15:41
I picked up a "Starter Pack" from Argos for £9.99, includes 2 months free on the family pack, free install and free STB. You can then change down to the cheapskate package once the 2 months are up :)

oh and I've never had a problem with the phone, I just don't need it.

bob_builder
13-01-2005, 17:16
I picked up a "Starter Pack" from Argos for £9.99, includes 2 months free on the family pack, free install and free STB. You can then change down to the cheapskate package once the 2 months are up :)

oh and I've never had a problem with the phone, I just don't need it.
I thought these starter packs had a requirement for you to have a landline installed.

bob_builder
13-01-2005, 17:18

But if you cancel your cable broadband and get ADSL you will also need to have a BT line installed so you will have to pay an extra £10.50 per month. So then you will be paying £24 per month - £2.50 more than with NTL!

Hans Gruber
13-01-2005, 17:40
I have a BT line, hence not needing the cable phone ;)