PDA

View Full Version : 2 PC's connected via router. Help.

alltalk
10-01-2005, 10:07
Hi,

Having chased this myself for a while and searched on this forum couoldn't finad anything so hope you can help.

I have a desktop machine connected wireless to ActionTec router. I get a 81.x.x.x IP address and all is fine, although I can't connect to the router in a browser!! (XP prof.)

On my laptop (brandnew XP home) I get a 192.x.x.x IP address and I can't get web access, although I can see the router through a browser.

If I switch off the desktop machine, reset router and cable modem it will, given time, work OK. So proves not a fundamental settings/corruption problem I think. This way I can get either machine on the net but never both at the same time, nightmare.

Any suggestions . getting desparate.

Simon.

Andy E
10-01-2005, 10:15
Is dhcp enabled on the router ?

Andy E
ntl pirate

Chris
10-01-2005, 10:16
:welcome: to Cable Forum, Simon. There's plenty of knowledgeable peeps around here, I'm sure if you sit tight one of them will be here soon. :)

SMHarman
10-01-2005, 10:23
Hi,

Having chased this myself for a while and searched on this forum couoldn't finad anything so hope you can help.

I have a desktop machine connected wireless to ActionTec router. I get a 81.x.x.x IP address and all is fine, although I can't connect to the router in a browser!! (XP prof.)

On my laptop (brandnew XP home) I get a 192.x.x.x IP address and I can't get web access, although I can see the router through a browser.

If I switch off the desktop machine, reset router and cable modem it will, given time, work OK. So proves not a fundamental settings/corruption problem I think. This way I can get either machine on the net but never both at the same time, nightmare.

Any suggestions . getting desparate.

Simon.
As andy said is DCHP enabled on the router.
on the Desktop that cannot see the router, do you have a specific proxy specified, you need to put the router IP in the exceptions box or turn off the specific proxy setting (in IE Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings)

alltalk
10-01-2005, 10:24
Hi Andy E,

Just checked router using 192.168.0.1 and get

Wan
-Connection = Disconnected
-Mode = DHCP

LAN
-IP address = 192.168.0.1
-DHCP = on

So I think yes.

Simon.

sherer
10-01-2005, 10:24
one thing i can think of is maybe you have port forwarding setup on the router.. when you connect to it see if there is a ports setting and what ports are and aren't allowed.. you might have set it so that only one machine can access port 80 for web traffic..

depending on what changings you have made to the router config you might be able to do a restore defaults..

maybe some more details on make on model of the router might help as well..

what does the router show when you connect to it via the web ? assuming you haven't changed the network config you should just point your browser at 192.168.0.1

zovat
10-01-2005, 10:26
hi and :welcome: Simon.

the router should be acting as a DHCP server - and I would expect the IP address of the clients to be in the 192.168.x.y region.

have you tried disabling XP firewall, jst to be sure that this is not getting in the way of the connection?

the pc with the 81.x.y.z address seems wrong to me - I would not expect that address from any router, unless you have changed the settings.

on the laptop, you say you can see the router from a browser - what address are you using.

also, when you connect to the router - does it show a WAN address (this should be the external address as assigned by NTL)?

can you confirm that the router is lugged into the Cable modem, and the PC is plugged into the router (not the CM).

Cheers

Zovat

Andy E
10-01-2005, 10:30
Hi Andy E,

Wan
-Mode = DHCP

LAN
-IP address = 192.168.0.1
-DHCP = on

So I think yes.

Simon.

The wan side is stating disconnected ..... what lights are lit, on your modem ? are the sync and ready lights on solid green ?

Andy E
ntl pirate

zovat
10-01-2005, 10:31
Hi Andy E,

Wan
-Mode = DHCP

<snip>

Simon.

Ah - so the router is not getting a connection from NTL - this may be a case of needing to clone the MAC address...
This is under the "advanced Setup" menu. - you should do this when connected from your main PC (the one that was connected to the CM) and it will clone the MAC of that system.

you should then be able to re-set the router, and check the same options - this time there whould be a WAN IP address and the WAN should be connected.

(also see connection check info in my last post ;) )

Andy E
10-01-2005, 10:32
Also which cable are you using to connect the modem to the router is it ethernet or usb ?

Andy E
ntl pirate

sherer
10-01-2005, 10:39
also if it's ethernet is ita cross over cable ?

i client shouldn't be showing as 192.168.0.1 that should be the router address the cliet should be 192.168.0.2 or higher

alltalk
10-01-2005, 10:43
Zovat, I can't clone the address in the way you state from my main/desktop PC as for some reason that can't see the router although I get web access. I agree the IP 81 seems strange as I'd expect a router address so my main machine is getting some connection from NTL. It's wired as described. wall, CM, router then wireless to machines.

Andy, the sync and rdy lights are solid green. Throughout this I'm having no problems with my main machine (hence these posts).

The router has a reset button on the back, anyone reckon I should give that a go.

Thanks so far.

Simon.

alltalk
10-01-2005, 10:45
sherer, you're right

The laptop (no connection to web) is showing IP 192.168.0.4 and gateway 192.168.0.1

Desktop/main has this strange (as it's through a router) 81.x.x.x address

Simon.

zovat
10-01-2005, 11:09
Zovat, I can't clone the address in the way you state from my main/desktop PC as for some reason that can't see the router although I get web access. I agree the IP 81 seems strange as I'd expect a router address so my main machine is getting some connection from NTL. It's wired as described. wall, CM, router then wireless to machines.

Andy, the sync and rdy lights are solid green. Throughout this I'm having no problems with my main machine (hence these posts).

The router has a reset button on the back, anyone reckon I should give that a go.

Thanks so far.

Simon.

Simon..

Can you confirm that the router is connected to the CM, and the PC to the router...

The config you are getting implies that the main PC is connected to the CM, not the router..
(the 81.x.y.z address would the the IP assigned by NTL)

it should be :

CM ---(cat5)--> router WAN port

router LAN port <----cat 5 ---- PC (s)

HTH

Zovat

alltalk
10-01-2005, 11:18
Hi Zovat,

yes the main PC is connected to the router. As its all wireless there is no physical way I can connect the main machine to anything other than the router. I agree everyting, I've read shows I shouldn't get an 81.x.x.x address from a router it should be 192.x.x.x one - just like the lap top that doesn't work.

Everything I see implies there is no router there but there is !!! Especially as I can't even see the router from the main machine via a browser, I know its there as the laptop can get to it.

Simon.

zovat
10-01-2005, 11:22
Hi Zovat,

yes the main PC is connected to the router. As its all wireless there is no physical way I can connect the main machine to anything other than the router. I agree everyting, I've read shows I shouldn't get an 81.x.x.x address from a router it should be 192.x.x.x one - just like the lap top that doesn't work.

Everything I see implies there is no router there but there is !!! Especially as I can't even see the router from the main machine via a browser, I know its there as the laptop can get to it.

Simon.

Simon,

Can you confirm that the main PC had no USB connection (or any cabled connection) to the CM ?

Then re-boot the router, then the PC.

Zovat

SMHarman
10-01-2005, 11:44
Have you done what I suggested in post 4?

alltalk
10-01-2005, 11:56
SMHarman > I checked the router and stated the settings I got in an earlier post. I have nothing in the proxy settings at all on either machine.

Zovat > done reboots still get 81.x address, not connected via USB as downstairs and router/CM upstairs !! so has to be wireless.

zovat
10-01-2005, 12:17
Zovat > done reboots still get 81.x address, not connected via USB as downstairs and router/CM upstairs !! so has to be wireless.

Is it definately set to get IP address automaticaly ?

alltalk
10-01-2005, 13:13
As far as i can tell yes. If you let me know all the places I shoulc check I'll do it.Everywhere where DHCP could be an option it's selected.

It feels to my untrained eye like the router is almost acting in a "pass through" mode so it looks completely like, and behaves, like I'm connected directly. I hit the reset on the router, retarted everything and still get the same behaviour.

I guess a general question that may lead us further is does anyone else get an 81.x.x.x. address when going through a router ?

Simon

Andy E
10-01-2005, 13:56
Which Actiontec router are you using ? is it one supplied by ntl at install , or is it one you have bought yourself ? model number would be good

Andy E
ntl pirate

alltalk
10-01-2005, 14:17
It wasn't supplied by NTL but it's one that is recommended by them the installation disk quotes NTL on it (model num R3010UW). About 20 months old.
Simon.

sav112
10-01-2005, 14:25
When you setup the router settings using your browser Ie it tells to go to something like Http://10.0.0.2 (http://10.0.0.2/) did you put your ntl username and Password in and saved the settings and rebooted the router to connect to NTL.

I just done a ADSL wireless router on two machines and BTyahoo needed the username and pass in the router settings. Even though the first three people on the help line said I did not need them the forth told me I needed to after I phoned to get the isp settings for the router.

SMHarman
10-01-2005, 14:30
NTL does not need a username and password as it does not "dial up" in the way ADSL does. NTL authenticates using the MAC address and other information pertaining to the CM/STB. Once that is provisioned to the network you do not need to log on.

Andy E
10-01-2005, 15:10
It wasn't supplied by NTL but it's one that is recommended by them the installation disk quotes NTL on it (model num R3010UW). About 20 months old.
Simon.

So i presume if you have had the router for 20 months all was working fine until recently ? ...... has anything been installed on the machines recently ?

Try this...... manually assign an ip address to the desk top machine ... 192.168.0.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 .To do this right click on your network connection>select properties>select tcp/ip>properties>check use the folowing ip address .and input the ip above
When thats done check it in cmd (type cmd into run and press ok ) when the dos screen opens type ipconfig /all .... the laptop seems to be getting an ip from the router although it has no www access ..... so try typing cmd into laptop and running the same comand ipconfig /all post the results back please ..

One other thing ...are you logged in as admin or does your account have admin rights on both machines ?

Andy E
ntl pirate

alltalk
10-01-2005, 16:58
FIXED !!!

Thanks for all your help .. by going through the replies you made me realise that it looked like I had a direct connection and also that it must have been something I'd changed recently ... went back though everything carefully and realised that the ActionTec router has 2 ports one for for ethernet if you're not wireless, and one for connecting the modem to the router. I had the CM connected to the ethernet port (realised as I redecorated in there and unplugged everything). I'm surprised it works at all but inreality it makes it look as though there is no router and you're connected directly. So the fist wireless device running gets the port and anything after can#t get beyond the router.

Accusations of being an a*se accepted but in the end you need people to ensure you check the simpler things.

Thanks again guys.

Simon.

homealone
10-01-2005, 17:07
FIXED !!!

Thanks for all your help .. by going through the replies you made me realise that it looked like I had a direct connection and also that it must have been something I'd changed recently ... went back though everything carefully and realised that the ActionTec router has 2 ports one for for ethernet if you're not wireless, and one for connecting the modem to the router. I had the CM connected to the ethernet port (realised as I redecorated in there and unplugged everything). I'm surprised it works at all but inreality it makes it look as though there is no router and you're connected directly. So the fist wireless device running gets the port and anything after can#t get beyond the router.

Accusations of being an a*se accepted but in the end you need people to ensure you check the simpler things.

Thanks again guys.

Simon.

by posting back with feedback on how you resolved it, you will probably have saved someone else from the same problem - so thanks to you :tu:

sav112
11-01-2005, 14:35
NTL does not need a username and password as it does not "dial up" in the way ADSL does. NTL authenticates using the MAC address and other information pertaining to the CM/STB. Once that is provisioned to the network you do not need to log on.

thanks for the info on that, learning all the time about routers.;)