PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Problems trying to connect PS2 to internet

kewlsol
09-01-2005, 01:18
I have been nagged at for weeks for hogging the broadband connection with my ps2 and need help. :dozey::dozey::dozey::dozey::dozey:

Equipment i have

PS2 ethernet connection registered and working
Dat5 x over cable
internet running 750k blueyonder
pc running windows XP pro
network card with one ethernet port / two usb ports
telewest surfboard b/b modem

My modem is connected via usb as my system will not for whatever reason run the internet from the ethernet lead, i have my ps2 utilising the ethernet dat 5 crossover lead and have tried all i can to use a ics to connect the ps2 online through my only pc network card. My connection shows up limited conectivity and when the ps2 trys to connect it states :mad: "a network cable is unplugged":mad:
i have seen on the forum that maybe i need a second network card for my pc, is this true and will it work though im using a usb connection to my modem?

thanx :D:D:D:D:D

Tezcatlipoca
09-01-2005, 14:14
:welcome:

You don't *have* to use a second network card to use ICS - you should be able to connect the modem via USB, & connect the PS2 via the PC's network card.

But, using ethernet for the modem>PC connection is generally better than using USB (better, more stable connection, & uses less resources), so it may well be worth getting another network card.

Are you sure your PC's existing ethernet port actually works?

Also, when you tried using ethernet for the PC, did you first reboot the modem, before using ethernet instead of USB?

Have a look here for info on swapping devices, & on swapping from USB to ethernet -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Do Blueyonder still require you to register the MAC address of everything you try to connect?

If you can get the PC to connect to the modem via ethernet, then, IMO, a better option than ICS would be to get a router. A router would handle all the internet sharing itself, & would mean that the PC would not have to be turned on to use the PS2 online. You can get a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router from Amazon.co.uk for just over 30 quid.

kewlsol
09-01-2005, 18:52
ive tried to connect my modem via ethernet to my pc and think that the ethernet port is not working as i get no connection at all, when i try the ps2 to the ethernet the network lights on the ps2 light up till a game trys to connect and the lights go off meanwhile i just have the messages a network connection is unplugged. Ive tried everything i can think of and still dont have a fix for it. Thanks for the reply :)

kewlsol
10-01-2005, 22:30
i ditched the single network connection to connect ps2 to pc to share its internet, now i have two network cards but still cant get it to work please heeeelp

gary_580
10-01-2005, 22:38
Are you using a Crossover cable? or a straight through cable with a hub?

gary_580
10-01-2005, 22:39
why have you posted the same question twice?

Chris
10-01-2005, 22:40
I've made the thread title a little more descriptive. ;)

I've also deleted the duplicate thread. You only need to ask your question once! :)

Tezcatlipoca
10-01-2005, 22:47
I've also deleted the duplicate thread. You only need to ask your question once! :)

...and I've just merged it with his other thread on the same problem from yesterday :)

Chris
10-01-2005, 22:50
...and I've just merged it with his other thread on the same problem from yesterday :)

Flippin eck! Three threads? Is there an echo in here?