PDA

View Full Version : NTL Capping - Should I hold on from subscribing as yet?

mchu6am4
07-01-2005, 19:51
Hi Forum,

I'm thinking of subscribing to NTL but I don't like :mad: :mad: :mad: the idea of 5GB/month cap for 1MB, although the current 1GB/day for 300K wouldn't be too bad.

I'm I right to hold on (and how long for) ?? as I was talking to an NTL salesman in town who completely denied any new cappings (though he acknowledged the 1GB/day cap but stated that it is rarely enforced) ?? :confused:

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Ash

Paul
07-01-2005, 20:07
Do you use 5GB a month ?

Chris W
07-01-2005, 20:13
seeing as the the forum search is currently disabled, i'll do the honours for you....

have a look here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=21625)here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=21633) and here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=21179) for discussion of the cap.

Information from ntl's website about the current usage policy is here: http://www.ntlworld.com/service_update.html

that should be enough light reading for you ;)

mcmanic
08-01-2005, 00:25
Hi Forum,

as I was talking to an NTL salesman in town who completely denied any new cappings
Thanks, Ash
typical salesman, get as many customers signed up as possible, and don't tell the customer that he will most probably be capped until customer signed up to 12 month contract

MovedGoalPosts
08-01-2005, 01:15
Almost a case of misselling. Sales staff should be briefed on major upcoming changes that are in the public domain, and that have been released to the media.

http://www.ntl.com/locales/gb/en/investors/presentations/Dec-04-Duffy-conferences-Final-UBS.pdf confirms on sheet 14, the 300k service price should drop to £15.99 but give no indication of cap levels, unlike the remaining threshold.

What is not clear is whether ntl will effectively force you to change to the new service levels as they are released. Judjing by previous performance that will be the case.

However, clauses remain in the ntl terms that would arguably allow the customer to argue that implemention of a cap from 30GB to 5GB a month is a significant change to service, which is unacceptable, allowing the customer to terminate the contract with 30 days notice, given with 30 days of the change being implemented. Thus sign up now for what you want, if it's currently a good deal for you, and take the future as it comes.

Nikko
08-01-2005, 02:12
I don't think its a case of mis-selling - until such time as there is an official announcement regarding caps or changes to T&C, the sales people are selling current and documented packages.

I am sure if & when the packages alter, any relevant terms will be fully explained properly at the point of sale, and any such alterations would be properly communicated to any present subscribers, where it is likely to affect them.

Any speculation until such time is just that, whether its speculation in a forum or asking a salesman to speculate on what the future may hold.

Rone
08-01-2005, 09:12
The caps are coming, and its hardly a great selling point if your trying to sell to someone who knows what a cap is.
Mrs Brady down the road at number 24 who has only just discovered the inet would buy it anyway as she probably thinks a cap is something you wear on your head. ;)

Matth
09-01-2005, 17:47
If they require a fee of £25 to upgrade, they would be (or certainly sholuld be) facing a serious customer revolt if they forced you to migrate.

Some talk on digitalspy suggests that they may be having second thoughts about the admin fee, and even if that's true, I can see the stragglers getting a free upgrade when they no longer wish to run the old tariffs.

One issue is that NOW, only the top tier requires a > 1Mbit capable Samsung STB or SACM - the 300k and the 750k can both run through the less well specified PACE STB.

On the new tiers, it would require a Samsung STB or SACM to support the 2Mbit speed, and that's a lot of hardware rollout - I think they made a grave error in moving the middle tier above 1Mbit

welwynrose
10-01-2005, 09:48
I just find it annoying that at present I subscribe to the 1.5 service with the 1gb a day cap and yet if I don't want to pay any more money I have to downgrade not only my line speed but the amount I can download in a month - by the way does anyone know if the upload speed is going to be increased as well?

Neil
10-01-2005, 10:05
Oh good-another cap thread. :zzz:

Because we probably haven't discussed all there is to discuss (which is not a lot until the official announcement) in the other 8 billion threads on the subject have we? :rolleyes:

Same old questions, same old replies, same old arguements.......:td:

th'engineer
10-01-2005, 10:23
Oh good-another cap thread. :zzz:

Because we probably haven't discussed all there is to discuss (which is not a lot until the official announcement) in the other 8 billion threads on the subject have we? :rolleyes:

Same old questions, same old replies, same old arguements.......:td:

The guys asking for advice in post one to be honest if he has the choice think he might be better going ADSL for a year then seeing what state NTL is in then.

Neil
10-01-2005, 10:26
The guys asking for advice in post one to be honest if he has the choice think he might be better going ADSL for a year then seeing what state NTL is in then.

There is no "advice" as there are no hard facts yet.

That's why this (& every other) cap thread will go round in ever decreasing circles, with the same old arguements/posts.

ntl are gonna cap-FACT.

If you don't want an ISP that caps, then look elsewhere.

It really is as simple as that & there's no "advice" needed.

th'engineer
10-01-2005, 10:35
There is no "advice" as there are no hard facts yet.

That's why this (& every other) cap thread will go round in ever decreasing circles, with the same old arguements/posts.

ntl are gonna cap-FACT.

If you don't want an ISP that caps, then look elsewhere.

It really is as simple as that & there's no "advice" needed.

Thats what i was saying in a roundabout way :D

Mick
10-01-2005, 10:38
Lets keep the discussion of the cap to one thread. :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=373728#post373728