PDA

View Full Version : Hoax text message?

Ramrod
07-01-2005, 19:50
Our au-pair is going out with a guy she just met at her English evening class.
She has just received a text message saying:

BTPayphones
07/01/15 13:35
Via BT
Payphones :be
carefull from him.
he is a drug
dealer and a
prostitutes
dealer. he is
using you.

She says that no-one here knows her mobile number here.
Is it possible that this is just a random hoax message?
:confused:

edit--is it possible to send a text from a payphone?

AndrewJ
07-01-2005, 19:52
Tell her to call it off, if the guy is geniune he will understand if you use excuse that she was not to well, due to a bad takeout or something.

It would be better not to go "just in case" he is what that message said. If he likes her and is who/what he has said then he will arrange another meeting, and in meantime you could check him out more.

Paul
07-01-2005, 20:03
I would guess it to be a hoax, but be extra careful anyway.

Chimaera
07-01-2005, 20:14
Mmm call me suspicious but............
I think the text appears to be written by someone who is not that familiar with English? Could it be that someone in the au pair's class has got her phone and the number to send her a message to put her off? :shrug:
I'd still err on the side of caution though, if she is going to meet him.

punky
07-01-2005, 20:32

I think so. Some of the modern fancier phonebooths have keyboards and net access.

I agree with Chim, that the poor wording is interesting as it could mean the person is in the english class too. Could be a clever trick though. It could really be anything, even a poison-pen-SMS from his ex-girlfriend maybe.

If it was me, I would bear it in mind and keep my eyes open. The SMS alone proves very little to me.

Bifta
07-01-2005, 20:33
Yeah 'cos everyone knows that your average pimp/drug dealer takes evening classes in English.

Richard M
07-01-2005, 20:52

Yes, the internet style ones.

marina
07-01-2005, 21:12
[Snipped].......

edit--is it possible to send a text from a payphone?As richard says.... it is....... BT link (https://www.bt.com/bttext/)
I didn't realise it was possible ...... not difficult to do either :shrug:

Ramrod
07-01-2005, 21:13
All that you have said is what has been going through our minds as well........so still non the wiser :disturbd:
Chim & Bif have pretty much summed up the arguments against him being a dodgy geezer.........

Interestingly........the guy is an Albanian....make of that what you will.

marina
07-01-2005, 21:17
I take it he has her number? Could he have given it to someone else? or could someone have got it from him?
She could report it to BT and see what happens? ;)

Ramrod
07-01-2005, 21:25
I take it he has her number? Could he have given it to someone else? or could someone have got it from him?He has her number, I don't see why he would give it to someone else. :confused:
She could report it to BT and see what happens? ;)Don't suppose that would do much good as it appears to have come from a payphone...............

AndrewJ
07-01-2005, 21:31
Actually aint all payphones now fitted with cctv?

marina
07-01-2005, 21:34
He has her number, I don't see why he would give it to someone else. :confused:
Don't suppose that would do much good as it appears to have come from a payphone...............Yes........ i've had a very hard few days at work dealing with the post-xmas apocalyse :erm: so my dead brain seems to have missed the 'payphone' bit :erm: :D

As to why would he have given her number to someone else......... what does anyone do anything? :shrug: these things happen....... addresses and numbers get passed around for many reasons...... i should know :grind: but that's not to say that he did :)
Of course the txt could be a hoax..... but i'm not sure she'll be able to find out for sure as things stand, so like the others have said..... she should keep the txt in mind, be vigilant..... but not be judgemental too soon :shrug:

Little Britain's on.......... so night!! :D

Ramrod
07-01-2005, 21:38
Yes........ i've had a very hard few days at work dealing with the post-xmas apocalyse :erm: so my dead brain seems to have missed the 'payphone' bit :erm: :D

As to why would he have given her number to someone else......... what does anyone do anything? :shrug: these things happen....... addresses and numbers get passed around for many reasons...... i should know :grind: but that's not to say that he did :)
Of course the txt could be a hoax..... but i'm not sure she'll be able to find out for sure as things stand, so like the others have said..... she should keep the txt in mind, be vigilant..... but not be judgemental too soon :shrug:All this has passed through our minds

Little Britain's on.......... so night!! :Denjoy........Mandys watching a prog about hairy women on discovery health :Yikes:

paulyoung666
07-01-2005, 21:46
Actually aint all payphones now fitted with cctv?

since when :confused: :confused: :confused:

AndrewJ
07-01-2005, 21:56
I have heard it once, that it was done to prevent vandals. May be wrong just worth finding which box it was sent from. And to see if it is fitted with one.

MetaWraith
07-01-2005, 22:12
Just an idea here.
Does her cell phone have BlueTooth ?
Has she been BlueJacked ? The whole message could be faked that way, and it could be nothing to do with BTpayphones.

Ramrod
07-01-2005, 23:56
since when :confused: :confused: :confused:Thats what I was wondering............Just an idea here.
Does her cell phone have BlueTooth ?
Has she been BlueJacked ? The whole message could be faked that way, and it could be nothing to do with BTpayphones.Sorry, no bluetooth........bonus point...........who knows why bluetooth is called that? :D

dilli-theclaw
08-01-2005, 00:00
Thats what I was wondering............Sorry, no bluetooth........bonus point...........who knows why bluetooth is called that? :D
Named after some Danish King isn't it?

Harald Blatand? Which translates to Harold Bluetooth :)

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 00:16
Named after some Danish King isn't it?

Harald Blatand? Which translates to Harold Bluetooth :)Correct.....but why is bluetooth named after him? :D

dilli-theclaw
08-01-2005, 00:18
Correct.....but why is bluetooth named after him? :D
Because he bought several sweedish/danish factions together.

Which is also what bluetooth is supposed to do (bring some different item's together)
geez your hard work :)

paulyoung666
08-01-2005, 00:26

Which is also what bluetooth is supposed to do (bring some different item's together)
geez your hard work :)

no , not hard work , just hard to shoot :disturbd: :D :D :D

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 00:34

geez your hard work :)Correct! Have a rep! :Dno , not hard work , just hard to shoot :disturbd: :D :D :DCorrect again! ( you need to get on TS m8 :D )

dilli-theclaw
08-01-2005, 00:36
Correct! Have a rep! :D
Thanks - and no googling either :) (The story was in the booklet that came with my headset ;):D)

Oh and as for being hard to shoot - just as soon as i get a bit more time I will try my best to KILL/SHOOT you :D

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 00:42
Oh and as for being hard to shoot - just as soon as i get a bit more time I will try my best to KILL/SHOOT you :DBring it! :PP:

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 09:39
Update........Aurelie (our au-pair) is going to discontinue her relationship with the guy--this has freaked her out too much.