PDA

View Full Version : broadband via ethernet problems

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 15:37
Hi there,

I have NTL 300Kbps broadband, Windows XP, and a Terayon Modem. Everything works fine when i use my USB cable, but lately i got my own pc, because the rest of the family needed more time on this pc! Anyway, we got a router and bits and pieces of kit (Cat 5e. cables and the like). When i tried to install the modem using ethernet i rebooted the modem and the machine, (rebooted the modem while the pc was off) and then turned on pc, the modem wasn't even picked up by the computer. Is there anything else i can do to fix this problem?

Chris W
07-01-2005, 16:07
:welcome:

is the enet light on the modem coming on when you have the pc turned on and connected?

rdhw
07-01-2005, 16:07
I have NTL 300Kbps broadband, Windows XP, and a Terayon Modem. Everything works fine when i use my USB cable, but lately i got my own pc, because the rest of the family needed more time on this pc! Anyway, we got a router and bits and pieces of kit (Cat 5e. cables and the like). When i tried to install the modem using ethernet i rebooted the modem and the machine, (rebooted the modem while the pc was off) and then turned on pc, the modem wasn't even picked up by the computer. Is there anything else i can do to fix this problem?It's a bit difficult to advise without more information.

Are the ethernet LINK lights lit at either end (PC or modem)?

Did you use a straight-though ethernet cable, or a cross-over one?

Is your ethernet adapter in the PC enabled (e.g. in the system BIOS?)?

What ethernet interface card are you using?

Does the ethernet adapter appear in WinXP Device Manager?

Are there any errors evident in the Device Manager listing?

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 16:13

Modem - Flashed once, not on anymore...
PC - There isn't one...

Did you use a straight-though ethernet cable, or a cross-over one?

The one that was left by the NTL engineer...

Is your ethernet adapter in the PC enabled (e.g. in the system BIOS?)?

Haven't a clue how to determine that, and i don't want to start mesing around with the BIOS.

What ethernet interface card are you using?

The one that is built into my computer's motherboard...Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

Yes.

Are there any errors evident in the Device Manager listing?

No.

quadplay
07-01-2005, 16:15
Since you're running Windows XP, try going into Control Panel, then Network Connections (which might be under Network and Internet Connections). You should see in there Local Area Connection - check there isn't a red cross or a question/exclamation mark on the icon for it. If there's a cross, try right-clicking the icon, and if you see the option Enable, click that.

EDIT: Just noticed you say the PC light is off on the Terayon modem - have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 16:20
No i haven't, but i do have a 15m x-cable that i intend to use to build the network with...if this suggestion doesn't work i'll see what it does...

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 16:26
i did the network conenctions thing, disable is the only option given, but there is bridge connections too...ill give that a go now...
brb

quadplay
07-01-2005, 16:29
Don't do the Bridge Connections! It could cause more trouble.

If you've already done it, right click on Network Bridge and choose Delete.

zovat
07-01-2005, 16:38
Hi there,

I have NTL 300Kbps broadband, Windows XP, and a Terayon Modem. Everything works fine when i use my USB cable, but lately i got my own pc, because the rest of the family needed more time on this pc! Anyway, we got a router and bits and pieces of kit (Cat 5e. cables and the like). When i tried to install the modem using ethernet i rebooted the modem and the machine, (rebooted the modem while the pc was off) and then turned on pc, the modem wasn't even picked up by the computer. Is there anything else i can do to fix this problem?

can you confirm what is connected to where ?

should be :

NTL feed--(coax)--> Modem --(cat5)--> Router --(cat5)--> PC(s)

the PC will not see the modem - but shouldsee the router.

what make is the router ?

if you connect to the router from the PC using a browser (often 192.168.1.1, but can be 192.168.2.1) it should have a WLAN status section - and that should show an IP address.

you should not need to "install the modem" on any PC - it should create a network connection to the router (a standard TCP/IP connection) and the router should do the rest.

make sure that the windows firewall is disabled for the connection (at least until we know you can connect to the router without it).

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 16:45
so far the modem has not been connected via the router, but what i took from the belkin manual was that a live connection to the internet should be avaiable, and it said about having an ethernet connection, so i thought the modem would have needed to be installed via ethernet before the router was setup...

Anyway the bridge connections didn't work anyway...

The router is a 4-port Cable/DSL Gateway Router by Belkin#

The X-over cable didn't do the trick, and the straight didn't work either...

SO zovat your suggesting that I install the router, then connect the modem, and the installer for the router should do the trick and install my modem for me? In which case i would be over the mooooon with delight

rdhw
07-01-2005, 17:09

Modem - Flashed once, not on anymore...
PC - There isn't one...

Yes.Go into the Properties of the ethernet adapter in Device Manager, and look for an Advanced tab. In the Advanced tab, if you see an option allowing you to specify the link speed, set it to 10Mbps half-duplex (sometimes written 10BaseT). Click OK all the way out, restart. Does that fix it?

zovat
07-01-2005, 17:09
SO zovat your suggesting that I install the router, then connect the modem, and the installer for the router should do the trick and install my modem for me? In which case i would be over the mooooon with delight

you should do as follows :

power off the modem and router

connect the router to the modem.

connect the computer to the router

switch on the modem

wait for the modem to bo connected

switch on the router.

wait for a few seconds (30 is normally enough)

switch on the PC

-------

from the PC point of view - as long as the connection is set to get IP address automatically, it should work with no other software/installation.

you do not need to install the NTL software for this to work, and I have found that many people find it works better without the NTL stuff installed.

---------

for more detailed info - Robin walker has done some great work on this at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

HTH

(off for a leaving do now - but should be back online later )

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 17:18
i'm now installoing the router, wil let you know asap if anythign changes..

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 17:43
god damn it, bloody ntl
grr im soo annoyed...

i install the router, only to tell me that it can't connect to the 'net coz i needed the modem installed via ethernet...and my modem doesn't like installing ethernet...so i'm really ****ed off....anybodygot any idea, aside from burning both router and modem???

quadplay
07-01-2005, 17:47
Is the PC light lit when the Ethernet cable is connected from the modem to the router?

black.horizons
07-01-2005, 18:01
no...this is what is causing me all the problems

quadplay
07-01-2005, 18:17
If you can get hold of a second straight-through Ethernet cable, and neither cable makes the PC light come on when plugged into either the PC or the router, it sounds like the Ethernet port on the Cable Modem is faulty.

zovat
07-01-2005, 20:40
If you can get hold of a second straight-through Ethernet cable, and neither cable makes the PC light come on when plugged into either the PC or the router, it sounds like the Ethernet port on the Cable Modem is faulty.

sounds about right...

If you power up the modem, and all the lights come on on the front, then the modem is connecting ok...

If you then plug in the ethernet cable (straight through cable - should have come with the router) to the WAN port of the router, and power up the router, the link light on the cable modem should come on, and there should be a connection light on the belkin.

can you confirm what model belkin you have, and I will try to be a bit more specific.

BBKing
07-01-2005, 21:21
Just to double, triple and quadruple check, you are rebooting the modem between connecting any device (router, pc via ethernet or pc via usb count as different devices). Not rebooting the modem will result in no connection being available.

rdhw
07-01-2005, 21:42
i install the router, only to tell me that it can't connect to the 'net coz i needed the modem installed via ethernet...and my modem doesn't like installing ethernet.What are you trying to do? There should not be any modem installation to be done if you are using ethernet.

Raistlin
08-01-2005, 01:13
Sounds like it could be a duff modem, try a different cable (as already suggested) and if you can get hold of a laptop with an ethernet (or a different PC) it might be worth trying this as well just to eliminate your PC as the cause.

Are you running any software that might be interfering with the connection (a firewall or something like that)?

black.horizons
08-01-2005, 19:20
i'm running zonealarm, but it didn't suggest that anything was wrong, like "prog.exe" is trying to connect to the internet..

i already tried the diff. cable thing, with no joy, there's no laptops within 500 million miles of my house, so it sounds like a modem problem perhaps...should i just scream down the phone at ntl?

Chris W
08-01-2005, 20:14
so it sounds like a modem problem perhaps...should i just scream down the phone at ntl?

i suggest ringing tech support, explaining politely that you think the ethernet port on the modem is broken because you don't get a pc light coming on on the modem when you connect to either you pc's working ethernet card or your router, and that you have tried an alternative cable.

There should be no problem getting a replacement modem... just remember to be nice... they will be more inclined to help you that way and it will be a more pleasant experience for everyone :)

black.horizons
08-01-2005, 20:19
lol, ok, a scream it is then...yeah i'll get my dad to phone them, i only work with computers...far more reviting conversations...less cheek, and the only problem is when you try to (un)install something!