PDA

View Full Version : New NTL BB TV ad

Taf
22-06-2003, 19:16
Has anyone else seen the new NTL BB ad on TV today? It features figures in stop-frame animation... and declares "Unlimited Access!"

:eek: Wot? NO Cap? :eek:

Chimaera
22-06-2003, 19:18
Think it's safe to say the ad will never feature on the 'My Favourite TV ad' thread! :D

poolking
22-06-2003, 19:19
Originally posted by Taf
Has anyone else seen the new NTL BB ad on TV today? It features figures in stop-frame animation... and declares "Unlimited Access!"

I doubt they'll advertise the fact to potential customers. ;)

Taf
22-06-2003, 19:24
I've yet to be officially told that there is a cap in place.... has anyone had it?

poolking
22-06-2003, 19:27
Originally posted by Taf
I've yet to be officially told that there is a cap in place.... has anyone had it?

There is one in place on the 1Mb tier. I don't know whether anyone has been told about breaking the limit.

bigitup_j
22-06-2003, 19:33
ntl are allowed to advertise unlimited broadband, as if a customer exceeds the cap frequently their service is not at risk or no charges will be placed upon them. just a warning.

is it all animated. ntl are doing a ntl:freedom ad tv campaign and use animations (does the person have purple hair?) what channel(s)?

Theodoric
22-06-2003, 20:36
Originally posted by Taf

Unfortunately it's unlimited access, not downloads. I have unlimited access to my bank but, strangely enough, I have not got unlimited download to the money in the bank.

poolking
22-06-2003, 20:40
Originally posted by Theodoric
. I have unlimited access to my bank but, strangely enough, I have not got unlimited download to the money in the bank. [/B]

Damn. :D

LooeyUK
23-06-2003, 00:21
Unfortunately it's unlimited access, not downloads.

That kind of isnt true. Trading standards would like something to say about it as it is misleading

darkone338
23-06-2003, 10:16
Originally posted by LooeyB
That kind of isnt true. Trading standards would like something to say about it as it is misleading

The ASA already has... back on 21st May.

"In it´s first ruling today, the Advertising Standards Authority has dismissed complaints concerning ntl´s claim that its broadband service offers "unlimited surfing".

The complainants challenged the implication in an advert that unlimited surfing was offered because the advertisers could implement a cut-off. The ASA agreed with ntl´s claim that "unlimited access" of broadband was a time and cost related issue rather than a data transfer issue.

This means that ntl is completely free to advertise their broadband service as "unlimited". "

Taf
23-06-2003, 19:35
The ad calls it Unlimited Internet.. and it's a guy with purple hair.... NTL Freedom..... (Internet with leg irons attached....)

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 20:05
Originally posted by darkone338

The ASA agreed with ntl´s claim that "unlimited access" of broadband was a time and cost related issue rather than a data transfer issue.

Exactly! I'm sure ntl must employ Bill Clinton for expertise on bending the meaning of simple English words beyond their breaking point!

Chimaera
23-06-2003, 20:14
Exactly! I'm sure ntl must employ Bill Clinton for expertise on bending the meaning of simple English words beyond their breaking point!

roflmao :D

poolking
23-06-2003, 20:15
Or even hire the Iraqi Information Minister. :D

obvious
23-06-2003, 23:21
Originally posted by Taf

If the advert was just for ntl-freedom, there is no problem.

Otherwise:-

What channel was it on? If we have an approximate time as well it would help with making a complaint. The ASA may have made a ruling but they can always make another one.

If anyone has a PC with "Video In" and they want to help, please send me a PM

The ASA online complaint form is here (http://www.asa.org.uk/newcomplainbnm/).

Please use it if you dont think ntl offer an unlimited service.

obvious
25-06-2003, 16:31
Bump. :)

Does anyone know what time/channel this was on? I'll keep an eye out for it.

Chris
25-06-2003, 16:53
Originally posted by Taf

I just glaze over whenever ntl ads come on, it's all that force-fed rubbish in the corner of my TV guide screen that did it. Just got sick of listening to ntl 'customers' singing the praises of the BB service. Now I kind of just mentally switch off.