PDA

View Full Version : NTL Binary Newsgroups

ChrisCoghlan
07-01-2005, 01:05
Hey,

I'm trying to get NTL's binary newsgroup service up and running, using server cable.news.ntlworld.com; port 119 and my NTL BB as log-in ID. I'm using Newsbin Pro as my client. So far, I haven't be able to download any files at all, despite the client reporting a successful connection to the news server.

Any ideas? Does anyone else use binary newsgroups with NTL? I am trying to d/l from dvdr image newsgroups...and am not entirely sure whether NTL carry them.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should be posted within this section, sorry if it's in the wrong place!

enjoymarcus
07-01-2005, 01:36
Well, i am a regular user of Newsgroups, and i download vast amounts of data (as some already know, and hate me for) and i have never been able to use NTL to do this, i use www.newshosting.com (http://www.newshosting.com) - it costs, but is definately worth it, on top of that, there is a great site that indexes the files on newsgroups, www.newzbin.com (http://www.newzbin.com) - with this i can get files very easily, and with little effort, i would reccomend paying the small amount it costs.

sleepless
07-01-2005, 03:51
Remove your login details, they are not required and change the server to news.ntlworld.com and you will connect. ;)

I use newsgroups a lot for binaries and an more than happy with the service from ntl. They may have less groups than 'pay for news providers' but I get what I want no probs. If you are looking for image or repost groups don't bother with ntl, they are not carried 'cos they require too much space.

ntl now (after upgrade and teething problems) provide an excellent addon service to your connection in my opinion.

bontrager
07-01-2005, 11:16
wow your not wrong, the news servers fly! i wonder if its the same at 8pm though...

Tricky
07-01-2005, 11:37
Hey,

I'm trying to get NTL's binary newsgroup service up and running, using server cable.news.ntlworld.com; port 119 and my NTL BB as log-in ID. I'm using Newsbin Pro as my client. So far, I haven't be able to download any files at all, despite the client reporting a successful connection to the news server.

Any ideas? Does anyone else use binary newsgroups with NTL? I am trying to d/l from dvdr image newsgroups...and am not entirely sure whether NTL carry them.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should be posted within this section, sorry if it's in the wrong place!

Welcome to the site - Go into the groups on NEWSBIN PRO and Update/refresh the groups to get the ones that NTL carry...

sleepless
08-01-2005, 01:31
wow your not wrong, the news servers fly! i wonder if its the same at 8pm though...
I got 180KB/s at 8pm this evening and it kept that way till about 10pm when my download completed :)

ChrisCoghlan
08-01-2005, 21:10
Hey - thanks for your suggestions. I've since found out that NTL don't host the dvdr image newsgroup that I'm trying to download from. I guess too high bandwidth sizewise.

Chris.