PDA

View Full Version : Some hotels jam mobile signals!

Ramrod
28-08-2003, 14:47
Bl**dy typical! (http://www.kewney.com/articles/030828-jam.html) and it's illegal!

Chris
28-08-2003, 15:54
I'd heard of these things being quietly installed in bars in London and New York ... surprised to hear they are now so widely available, especially as it's illegal to use them. I expect it's probably not illegal to actually own one though.

Can't think why that bloke calls the Daily Record a 'local newspaper' though...

TigaSefi
28-08-2003, 15:57
Good about time these mobile phones were jammed, bring it on!!

Chris
28-08-2003, 16:00
Originally posted by TigaSefi

I like the idea of certain places being mobile free (cinema, restaurant, etc) but if I'm in a hotel bedroom, and not disturbing anyone else, I would be very upset to think my signal was being blocked just to force me to use the house phones.

Ramrod
28-08-2003, 16:22
Originally posted by towny
I like the idea of certain places being mobile free (cinema, restaurant, etc) but if I'm in a hotel bedroom, and not disturbing anyone else, I would be very upset to think my signal was being blocked just to force me to use the house phones. Thats how I feel about it.

Russ
28-08-2003, 16:26
Originally posted by TigaSefi

Why?

Tricky
28-08-2003, 17:01
You used to be able to buy "Jammers" (not legal!) which would jam phones in a 100m area (mmm sound like home networks) given a clear path. There were a few reports of people using them on trains etc to annoy business class passengers...

idi banashapan
28-08-2003, 17:52
Originally posted by towny
I like the idea of certain places being mobile free (cinema, restaurant, etc) but if I'm in a hotel bedroom, and not disturbing anyone else, I would be very upset to think my signal was being blocked just to force me to use the house phones.

Spot on mate!

Graham
28-08-2003, 19:02
Just as a point, although it's illegal to *broadcast* a signal to jam mobile phones, it wouldn't be illegal to put up metal screening to create a "Faraday Cage" effect that would earth incoming and outgoing signals.

Ok, it would be more expensive, but if it stops your meal/ film/ enjoyment of a concert or theatre performance from being spoiled I'm all for it!

PS there was an amusing event at one of the snooker championships earlier this year.

Someone's mobile went off and as they were searching for it to turn it off the referee said "Tell whoever it is that you're on your way home"!

Rara Avis
28-08-2003, 19:51
Using jamming equipment is public areas like cinemas, theatres and libraries are reasonable, if illegal, but I can understand why some may feel the need to do it. If users do not have the consideration for others that is expected of them, then why NOT clip their wings? . They disturb other people in environments where talking is not really allowed, even though it's not illegal.
However, the hotel block is scandalous! The last hotel I stayed in would have required that I paid £1.98 per minute to make a local call let alone any other location. The hotel cannot possibly say that my using my mobile in the privacy of my room will disturb anyone else but me.
I'd like to see them try it in the place I'm going this weekend. Feathers would fly :grind:

philip.j.fry
28-08-2003, 19:52
Originally posted by Tricky
You used to be able to buy "Jammers" (not legal!) which would jam phones in a 100m area (mmm sound like home networks) given a clear path. There were a few reports of people using them on trains etc to annoy business class passengers...

They should be put in the quiet carraiges, the number of people who sit in them and use their phones is unbelievable.

Xaccers
28-08-2003, 20:30
Reminds me of a few years back when I had an early erricson phone on voda.
Popped into the nearest mobile shop (celnet) looking for a different coloured keypad inlay and when I showed my phone to the woman she instantly said "you're on voda aren't you?" I asked how she knew: "because you've got no signal in here on that network" she said smugly.
Wonder if they had a jammer as a little way down the shopping centre I had full signal

Chris
29-08-2003, 12:33
Originally posted by Xaccers
Reminds me of a few years back when I had an early erricson phone on voda.
Popped into the nearest mobile shop (celnet) looking for a different coloured keypad inlay and when I showed my phone to the woman she instantly said "you're on voda aren't you?" I asked how she knew: "because you've got no signal in here on that network" she said smugly.
Wonder if they had a jammer as a little way down the shopping centre I had full signal

I suppose it's possible to set up a jammer to jam only certain frequencies, but I've not heard of any that do that ... more likely the local Vodafone mast was sited in such a way that the Cellnet shop was in a small local blind spot.

Funny thing is, even in this age of mature digital networks there are still blind spots in prime locations. You just try using an Orange phone on the M1, heading north past J7 (M10 interchange). It drops out every time, guaranteed, even with a full handsfree car kit with external aerial. Just one of those things, I s'pose.