PDA

View Full Version : I've been a bad boy..[problem trying to switch from USB>Ethernet]

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:06
Well, actually you can't blame this on me, my dad did it first.

He's installed our NTL Modem (Not sure which one it is, its the grey one which lays on its belly. Oh, and it's 700kb) to run using USB. Now I need to change it over to Ethernet. So i followed the online guide the ntl:broadband site offers, but it hasn't worked, at all, not a saussage. I've tried loads and my modem refuses to use Ethernet. There's nothing wrong with my Ethernet port, as I've tried using other Ethernet products and they work.

Please help me, for my question is oh so noobie.

Paul
02-01-2005, 21:08
any error messages ?

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:12
-smacks head- Knew i forgot something

Well, when i connect my ethernet after doing a reset my desktop is just normal. However when i sign into msn or onto Internet Explorer there's no sign of activity.. at all. When i connect my usb back in though everything's dandy and online again.

AndrewJ
02-01-2005, 21:12
I once made mine ethernet from usb and for some unknown reason, i had the wrong eternet lead, as the moment I tried a crossover ethernet lead it worked.

And I am using the Ambit sacm.

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:15
That might be my problem, though what are the differences between the Ethernet leads?

And keep firing those aids.. for my problem... Yeah..

Mick
02-01-2005, 21:23
Noone else has yet welcomed you. So welcome to the site Zest.... :welcome:

There is a very useful swapping from USB to ethernet guide here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap).

Hope this helps. :)

maverick
02-01-2005, 21:27
If your switching from usb to ethernet make sure you reboot the modem.

Shaun
02-01-2005, 21:28
Have you reset your modem?

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:33
Noone else has yet welcomed you. So welcome to the site Zest.... :welcome:

Have you reset your modem?
Yeah, I've done that. It told me to do it in that guide off the NTL:Website. Still no luck. What i have noticed though is that when i unplug the modem and then replug it, when the lights flicker on, all flicker but the Ethernet light... S'that bad?

maverick
02-01-2005, 21:39
What's the version of Windows,and do you know how to check what the ip address is,if so what's the first group of number's,ie 169. or 192.

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:40
Windows XP
and 62 :sleep:

maverick
02-01-2005, 21:42
So your ip address begins with 62. are you able to send a ping request and get a reply.

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:45
Yep, and it's 01 secs.

I don't see what this has to do with my ethernet connection though, my USB works just fine..

maverick
02-01-2005, 21:47
Yep, and it's 01 secs.

I don't see what this has to do with my ethernet connection though, my USB works just fine..

LOL I meant you to do all of the above with the ethernet connection. :D

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:49
Oh... Well.. o.O;;

I cant do anything, i cant get on IE or MSN, can't get a ping request and stuff.. Its acting like its not there. No sign of it.

Mick
02-01-2005, 21:50
I think you got your wires crossed over Zest as Maverick was asking what the beginning of your IP was for the ethernet connection and whether or not you could ping whilst using your ethernet. (Not the USB connection as we know that is fine.) :)

Zest did you follow my link in my post above you have do things in a certain order for a successful connection, also it will explain if you need a cross-over cable or not.

maverick
02-01-2005, 21:52
In network connections there is nothing there not ,even local area connection network cable unplugged.Is your ethernet card listed in device manager.

Zest
02-01-2005, 21:52
Yeh, I've used it before. didnt work for me ;_;

I'ma go give it another go in a second, expect a second post in a few seconds (or are you guys touchy about the double post rule? I'll edit thisun instead then)

Mick
02-01-2005, 21:55
Lets just see if we can get the connection sorted for your ethernet, do not worry about double postings, and it will not be a double posting now I've replied. :)

Zest
02-01-2005, 22:15
Nope, nothing again. I looked at my ethernet thing on my PC, and it says "A network cable is unplugged" still. When I plugged in my modem again, all the lights flashed apart from the Ethernet, again.

And when i switched back to my USB i simply took out the ethernet and put the usb in without having to reset. Something tells me this is still stuck in ghey USB mode..

Paul
02-01-2005, 22:45
Nope, nothing again. I looked at my ethernet thing on my PC, and it says "A network cable is unplugged" still. When I plugged in my modem again, all the lights flashed apart from the Ethernet, again.Does sound like you need a crossover cable.

Zest
02-01-2005, 22:46
Whutes one of those? Quick, to the google mobile!

Graham M
02-01-2005, 22:48
It has the send and receive data wires crossed over like a null modem cable to allow you normally to either connect two PCs directly together or a switch to a switch, some modems have straight ports as well as the PC so you will need a Crossover cable, these can be found at most good retailers and can be made quite simply yourself with the right tools, they are usually bright yellow when bought from a retailer.

Mick
02-01-2005, 22:52
Ethernet ports usually illuminate if the cable is correct. You should be able to tell that way too if you need a x-over cable or not.

Tezcatlipoca
02-01-2005, 22:54
According to Robin Walker's site, you generally have to use a straight-through cable to connect to a SACM - unless you have an ntl:home 100/120 (Ambit), in which case you can use straight-through or crossover.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ethernet.html

Zest - How long do you leave the modem off for before connecting it up & trying it again?

Zest
02-01-2005, 22:56
A minute or so, i think ill get a crossover and see if i get any better results.

Graham M
02-01-2005, 23:13
Perhaps the Ethernet port on the modem itself is buggered if all else fails, soldered on Ethernet ports are particularly easy to break if theyre not held on by anything other than the solder itself.

Zest
02-01-2005, 23:18
Ugh, dont say that.

I'm gonna try the crossover option first.

Chris W
02-01-2005, 23:23
do you have any firewall sotware installed? if so, try disabling this and then trying your internet connection.

In start-> control panel-> network connections is it showing the ethernet card as connected? if so double click and check if there are packets/bytes both sent and received on the status page.

Chris W
02-01-2005, 23:24
Ugh, dont say that.

I'm gonna try the crossover option first.

with the ambit modem either a crossover or a straight cable will work fine

handyman
03-01-2005, 00:16
you should have been supplied the correct cable in the 1st place with your modem.

1. unplug the usb cable.

2. turn off your pc.

3. turn off the power to the modem.

4. Turn on the modem and connect the ethernet cable to it and then to the pc.

turn on the pc.

check your ip address ans report back here with the 1st 2 numbers ie. 192.168.xxx.xxx or 81.4.xx.xx

if no connection unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the modem and check that none of the pins are bent.

turn off any firewalls just to rule them out.

make sure you have no connections in internlet options and set it to 'never dial a connection'
make sure nothing is ticked or entered in the LAN settings box in internet options.

thats all i can think of for now.

mark

Zest
03-01-2005, 11:50
I can't even get a connection with this cable, ie. The ethernet socket at the back of my PC doesn't even light up. I've done all the resetting stuff to try and get the cables to change, but no luck.

Location: middlesbrough Wheey, I live local :p: Sorry, had to point that out...

poolking
03-01-2005, 12:01
Is your ethernet integrated into the motherboard?

Zest
03-01-2005, 12:02
Yes.

poolking
03-01-2005, 12:03
Have you made sure that it has been enabled in the BIOS?

Zest
03-01-2005, 12:06
Erm.. not sure what the bios is but it's been enabled, as in My Network Connections the VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter is enabled. My PC only has one ethernet port so that must be what it's for.

maverick
03-01-2005, 12:32
Well its either the nic port on the modem,your nic on your pc or the cable itself,have you got another ethernet cable to try ?

Zest
03-01-2005, 12:33
Gonna buy one today :)

maverick
03-01-2005, 12:35
Gonna buy one today :)

Ok let us know what happens with the new cable.

handyman
03-01-2005, 13:52
Wheey, I live local :p: Sorry, had to point that out...
Lived in thornaby for a bit last year, theres loads of local members on here.
We meet up every now and then for a pint.

badnbusy
03-01-2005, 17:04
Definately sounds like an ethernet cable problem. The ethernet light on the cable modem will light up as soon as you connect it to the network card in the PC, if correct. Regardless of any firewall, OS, etc. Also be sure that your network cards TCP/IP settings are set to get the IP Automatically, from DHCP.

Earwig
03-01-2005, 19:28
I had this problem a little while ago when I wanted to change from USB to Ethernet.

I gave up after a while of trying but am thinking I will give it a go again following the steps given here.

My symptoms were exactly the same and thinking about it, I am wondering if I was using the correct cable....... The one I was using was a grey one that I believe came with the modem and stuff when the engineer brought it all along. Perhaps it is the wrong one??

Is there a way to determine which cable is which other than it not working??

Also I am not sure that my modem is the same as the one used here? I heard the name Ambit being said but mine has no such name anywhere on the top or the bottom..... All mine says is NTLHome120....Is this the same one?? The only reason I ask is that in one of the posts made here it said that on some you could use either the stnadard Ethernet or a crossover cable and just wanted to see if mine would use both which would rule out the wrong cable for me.....

On a final note could someone say exactly why everyone is trying to connect through Ethernet instead of USB?? There must be an obvious advantage to it aside from using less of the PC?? Is it faster or more reliable??

Graham M
03-01-2005, 19:37
Its far more reliable and often faster i found and takes less of the PC's CPU.

A "B" type Ethernet Cable will have the wires in this order when looked at with the catch facing away

o Orange/White
o Orange
o Green/White
o Blue
o Blue/White
o Green
o Brown/White
o Brown

The other end is "A" type on a crossover which I always forget the colour order of but its different, but on a straight through cable, both ends are A type or B type (usually B type) but on a Crossover, one is A type and the other is B type. Hope thats not too confusing :D

Earwig
03-01-2005, 19:50
Its far more reliable and often faster i found and takes less of the PC's CPU.

A "B" type Ethernet Cable will have the wires in this order when looked at with the catch facing away

o Orange/White
o Orange
o Green/White
o Blue
o Blue/White
o Green
o Brown/White
o Brown

The other end is "A" type on a crossover which I always forget the colour order of but its different, but on a straight through cable, both ends are A type or B type (usually B type) but on a Crossover, one is A type and the other is B type. Hope thats not too confusing :D
So for my modem I would need?????? LOL

A type A??

A Type B??

Or a crossover??

I understand what you are saying but am unsure of which one to use for my modem......I have looked for the cable I had, which I think I got with the modem but cannot find it. I may have chucked it when I failed to sort this last time, Ooops. I will get another cable tomorrow to try it out but with 3 types now to choose from I am unsure of which to go for...?

Tezcatlipoca
03-01-2005, 19:53
Also I am not sure that my modem is the same as the one used here? I heard the name Ambit being said but mine has no such name anywhere on the top or the bottom..... All mine says is NTLHome120....Is this the same one??

The ntl:home modems are Ambit modems, & can use either straight-though ethernet cables or crossover ethernet cables.

Graham M
03-01-2005, 20:09
A or B would work as they are the same wiring order just different colour order but a crossover is the Transmit and Received wires crossed which is effectively an A->B instead of an A->A or B->B

Earwig
03-01-2005, 21:21
In which case I shall get me one tomorrow......Hope it works, hehehe.

Zest
23-01-2005, 22:02
Right, I'm bumping this topic as i have bought a Crossover cable.

It worked! Thank you all, I love you! If anyone wants marridge I'll gladly be the groom :P