PDA

View Full Version : Moving from STB to stand alone CM - any issues?

blenky
31-12-2004, 15:45
I'm considering ditching my ntl TV package but retaining broadband and the phone line. Customer services advised that they would remove my STB and install a cable modem.

Currently I have my STB connected to a Netgear wireless router and my PC is upstairs in the loft. Everything works just fine.

Would the change to a cable modem work OK with my wireless set up?

Is it best to have the CM near the PC or would it be OK to have it downstairs more or less where my current STB is? I'm not really confident of ntls engineers ablity to not make a god awful mess getting it installed in the loft.

Thanks for any advice.

daz300
31-12-2004, 15:56
hello , i am having the same thing on wednesday i am all so set up with a actiontec wireless network and have to change so i can have my x box pluged in for x box live ,at a cost of £30.00 .

will i have to change the setings for the new modem ?

scoobydoo[uk]
31-12-2004, 16:13
Changed over my Set top box for a cable modem on my wireless network, and it worked fine :)

Shouldnt have any problems at all, you will need to re-register with the new Mac address though.

paulyoung666
31-12-2004, 16:26

Is it best to have the CM near the PC or would it be OK to have it downstairs more or less where my current STB is? I'm not really confident of ntls engineers ablity to not make a god awful mess getting it installed in the loft.

Thanks for any advice.

no reason for it not to work , i would think it is preferable to have the sacm next to the pc but not essential :)

hello , i am having the same thing on wednesday i am all so set up with a actiontec wireless network and have to change so i can have my x box pluged in for x box live ,at a cost of £30.00 .

hi and :welcome: to the site , if i may ask , what is this actiontec thing that you are on about ??????? :)

daz300
31-12-2004, 16:41
lol thank you it is http://www.ntlworld.com/actiontec/ this . i am geting a belkin G set up soon .

blenky
31-12-2004, 16:42
Thanks for the reasuring words!

Tezcatlipoca
31-12-2004, 17:20
I'm considering ditching my ntl TV package but retaining broadband and the phone line. Customer services advised that they would remove my STB and install a cable modem.

Currently I have my STB connected to a Netgear wireless router and my PC is upstairs in the loft. Everything works just fine.

Thanks for any advice.

Using a cable modem will be fine :)

Might be easier to have it by the PC, but I don't see there being a problem if you left it, & the router, downstairs - saves more drilling & cabling.

Why do you have to change to use XBox Live?

It's quite easy to use XBL with either an STB or a standalone modem, without paying ntl any extra.

Have a look here for info on using a direct connection:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=715

You can also use a router, or use internet connection sharing (ICS).

and there's some wireless XBL info here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=1342

daz300
31-12-2004, 17:40
i rung up cs and i can not use x box live via my set top box, if i want it i have to change .

Tezcatlipoca
31-12-2004, 17:50
i rung up cs and i can not use x box live via my set top box, if i want it i have to change .

You can't subscribe to ntl's extra broadband & console service if you use an STB rather than a standalone cable modem (SACM), hence them saying that you have to change.

However:

You CAN quite easily use XBox Live via an STB, without having to change to a SACM & waste extra money on the console service.

All that is required is to clone the MAC address of your PC onto the XBox, so that when the XBox is connected to the STB, the STB still thinks it is connected to the PC. This is because, if you use an STB, every device you connect to it must have its MAC address registered with ntl via a special web page. As the XBox has no web browser, you cannot register the XBox's MAC, so instead you have to give it the MAC of a device which is already registered.

Easy instructions on how to use an XBox with an STB, via a direct connection, are here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=715

If you already have a router (& I assume you do, as you say you have ntl's special wireless bundle?), then instead of a direct connection to the STB, you can connect the XBox to the router. No need for changing to a SACM, no need to pay ntl extra.

daz300
31-12-2004, 17:57
not that i think that ntl would con me out of £30.00 for x mass but i did try all of that and i can not log me in to xbox live .

Tezcatlipoca
31-12-2004, 18:02
Strange. It *should* work perfectly. There really is no need whatsoever for the console service - it's just (IMO) a way for ntl to fleece money from people who don't realise they do not need it. Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly? Where did it fail? Is the XBox modded?

Plug XBox into a router - should work perfectly (but it must not have a cloned MAC on it)

Give XBox the PC's MAC (or the MAC of the USB-ethernet adapter if you use one), reboot STB, plug XBox into STB - should work perfectly.

I know loads of people who use ntl for XBoxLive, via STB & SACM - without using the ntl console service.

daz300
31-12-2004, 18:06
once you have it do you have to keep it for a year ??

daz300
31-12-2004, 18:07
i will try it now

Tezcatlipoca
31-12-2004, 18:12
once you have it do you have to keep it for a year ??

The console service? I don't think it has a minimum period like the main contract. AFAIK, you can cancel it with 30days notice.

However, you may have a new 12 month contract for the broadband itself, if you are changing from STB to SACM.

Still, nothing wrong with having a SACM (prob better than using an STB anyway), & very easy to use one for XBL without having the extra console service.

i will try it now

Good luck.

Have another look through the direct connection instructions I posted a link to.

Although, if you do use a router, then you should simply be able to plug the XBox into that - no point in having a direct connection if you already have a router.

daz300
31-12-2004, 18:25
looks like it is working now. v happy . no need to pay the £ 30.00 now lol thank you 4 you help