PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Questions

Smeghead
29-12-2004, 23:14
Well today we hooked up a PS2 directly to the Cable Modem with a cat5 cable after removing the PC but to no avail. But then i read a post here somewhere you had to turn of the modem plug the PS2 in and turn it back on so we did that and it worked for about two mins before we unplugged it. Now the question is will NTL charge any extra for plugging the PS2 directly into the cable modem? Will the bill at the end of the month be exactly the same even if you play PS2 online and use the PC for browsing like before? As far as i know the £2 charge is for when you subscribe so you can run the PC and PS2 at the same time without a router.

Tezcatlipoca
30-12-2004, 00:33
Well today we hooked up a PS2 directly to the Cable Modem with a cat5 cable after removing the PC but to no avail. But then i read a post here somewhere you had to turn of the modem plug the PS2 in and turn it back on so we did that and it worked for about two mins before we unplugged it. Now the question is will NTL charge any extra for plugging the PS2 directly into the cable modem? Will the bill at the end of the month be exactly the same even if you play PS2 online and use the PC for browsing like before? As far as i know the £2 charge is for when you subscribe so you can run the PC and PS2 at the same time without a router.

If you don't tell them, then they won't know ;)

You can quite easily just plug the PS2 straight into the cable modem (after rebooting the modem), & play play play.

But, for convenience, I'd recommend getting a router anyway - cheaper in the long run than ntl's console service, & removes the need to keep swapping from PC to PS2 & back again. You can get a Linksys BEFSR41 router from Amazon for just over 30 quid.

Smeghead
30-12-2004, 00:42
Wow thanks for the quick reply, Ah a routers not an option though sadly, i have one but im asking on behalf of someone and trust me ntls option is a no no.

So you can hook it up play all day and night long and swap the pc back over at random and you will still pay the standard £17 or whatever it is? :D

Tezcatlipoca
30-12-2004, 00:47
Yep, should be fine. They shouldn't charge you extra unless you actually subscribe to the console service.

I know plenty of people who use their XBoxes online without subscribing to ntl's console service - I'm sure there are plenty of PS2 users who do it without subscribing too.

Smeghead
30-12-2004, 12:17
Thanks i'm convinced but it will take an awful lot to convice who pays the bill. It needs to be definate even though i'm sure it is even then they may still not believe it :(

Gareth
03-01-2005, 10:50
Don't worry, smeghead (er... I'm not calling you a smeghead), I've done this on a few occaisions over the past several months when mates have brought theirs over. I wouldn't subscribe cause I don't have my own PS2, but ntl have never ever charged me for any of the times I've done it.

As ntl, I believe, only look at the mac address of your cable modem to identify you, and not the mac address of whatever is plugged in to the cable modem, they wouldn't really know what you'd got plugged in, PC or PS2. Does that make sense?

paulyoung666
03-01-2005, 11:13
Don't worry, smeghead (er... I'm not calling you a smeghead), I've done this on a few occaisions over the past several months when mates have brought theirs over. I wouldn't subscribe cause I don't have my own PS2, but ntl have never ever charged me for any of the times I've done it.

As ntl, I believe, only look at the mac address of your cable modem to identify you, and not the mac address of whatever is plugged in to the cable modem, they wouldn't really know what you'd got plugged in, PC or PS2. Does that make sense?

exactly , it dont matter what is plugged , within reason of course :disturbd: :D :D :D

Smeghead
03-01-2005, 15:15
well thanks guys for all the info, just see how it goes :P

I got an adapter few days back except they didnt give me an access code so i have to wait for it to be sent and also i'm trying to use my wireless laptop to connect the ps2 online because the cable is so tight running direct bit dangerous

Mattitude
14-01-2005, 13:48
I've found out some useful information from this thread, thank you people!

gary_580
14-01-2005, 15:11
Wow thanks for the quick reply, Ah a routers not an option though sadly, i have one but im asking on behalf of someone and trust me ntls option is a no no.

So you can hook it up play all day and night long and swap the pc back over at random and you will still pay the standard £17 or whatever it is? :D

I wondered how you managed to get the PS2 working without either registering the MAC address or cloning it from your PC.

Tezcatlipoca
14-01-2005, 19:57
I wondered how you managed to get the PS2 working without either registering the MAC address or cloning it from your PC.

There is no need to register the MAC address (or clone an already registered MAC onto the device) if you have broadband via a standalone cable modem. All that is required is a reboot of the modem. You only need to register the MAC if you use an STB.

Mattitude
17-01-2005, 12:26
Because I don't actually have a network adapter yet for my PS2, I just want to double check - what exactly do you get with the network adapter? Does it come with instructions saying exactly how to register your nickname etc. and play online?

ChRiS2909
07-02-2005, 16:20
Hi does anyone know if i get Network play for ps2 will it charge my phone bill Thanks:D

gary_580
07-02-2005, 16:36
Hi does anyone know if i get Network play for ps2 will it charge my phone bill Thanks:D

:welcome: to the site.

No it wont charge your phone bill. You have to have broadband in order for it to operate

Neil
07-02-2005, 18:15

Take a look here. (http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/support.jhtml)

That will tell you everything you need to know. :)

But no, it won't be charged to your phone bill.