PDA

View Full Version : Face-fit society

andrew_wallasey
26-12-2004, 15:07
Do you think we live in a face-fit society and people get to a position in life by people they know rather than their ability to do the job?

I personally think not many people get in high positions get there on merit because if that is the case why is the government a complete joke?

Maggy
26-12-2004, 15:39
Do you think we live in a face-fit society and people get to a position in life by people they know rather than their ability to do the job?

I personally think not many people get in high positions get there on merit because if that is the case why is the government a complete joke?

Bored today? :)

andrew_wallasey
26-12-2004, 15:41
How did you guess?

Maggy
26-12-2004, 15:46
How did you guess?

Because you only ask these questions when you want a verbal punch up in thread form. ;)

As I think my job is entirely about survival of the fittest I tend not to worry if my face fits or not.I find most staff I meet are delighted to have a cover teacher because half the department are out ill and they have way too much pressure on their shoulders to care what I look like. ;)

AndrewJ
26-12-2004, 15:50
LOL

Well i used to moderate a chat room which I wont name here. It claims to be a "family chat" with moderators called Navigators, this chat is based on a boat.

Now it has a rank feature kinda like this place only, the more you chat the more emotes and commands you get, to a max of Admiral. About 103ranks in total.

The navigators are chatters who have a min rank of midshipman, and have chatted for a while and pass a exam.

Anyways to cut it short, this chat run well until a lead-admin ( works for the company who own the chat ( Jubii ) came in, under her ruling a side site was created ( cant link has some adult content ), which the chat hates ( well those who break the rules)

So it has ended up if your face fits your made a moderator, if it dont and your good/better at moderating they kick you out for some weird reason.

This chat is on its way into the abyss and I have left to pursue a mod positon on another forum to this.

But it shows that with chatrooms even its not WHAT you know its WHO you know.

kronas
26-12-2004, 15:56
im not going to dimiss everyone in saying that they are talentless but there have been occasions where libertys are taken if your 'buddys' with the boss' you can automatically be promoted or givena position of authority based on that, despite not having the nessecary skills in the first place, not all the time but it happens, its a fact of life.

ikthius
26-12-2004, 15:58
My manager got her job because her face fits...... She has had no gym experience and has never been a member of a gym, has no gym qualification, but is the manager of a gym.

She was just a wages girl before hand.

now does this nt reek of "if your face fits"?

ik

kronas
26-12-2004, 16:06
a pretty face is also expected to generate business, any straight male would prefer to see her in a gym rather than some bloke.

its business but using the 'talent' available, physically too.

AndrewJ
26-12-2004, 16:08
End of day if your female have a nice ahem chest :D:angel: , and a tight... ;) you stand a good chance of being taken on in a big job rather then some better qualified gentleman, who is probally better at the job.

Paul
26-12-2004, 16:10
I think "being in the right place at the right time" has more to do with it than faces fitting.

kronas
26-12-2004, 16:11
End of day if your female have a nice ahem chest :D:angel: , and a tight... ;) you stand a good chance of being taken on in a big job rather then some better qualified gentleman, who is probally better at the job.

not always, it can work the other way around too.

although having said that it depends on the person already there, whether they think your talented or deem you 'physically suitable to have apretty face, we have seen it, pretty faced secretary's managers etc.

ikthius
26-12-2004, 16:29
a pretty face is also expected to generate business, any straight male would prefer to see her in a gym rather than some bloke.

its business but using the 'talent' available, physically too.
problem is, she aint pretty, and she is never in the gym.

ik

kronas
26-12-2004, 16:32
problem is, she aint pretty, and she is never in the gym.

ik

maybe to you, but to the boss ;)

ikthius
26-12-2004, 16:58
strange thing is, 2 female bosses gave her the job, and they aint gay in any way, so I still can't see the prettyness issue.

ik

kronas
26-12-2004, 17:00
strange thing is, 2 female bosses gave her the job, and they aint gay in any way, so I still can't see the prettyness issue.

ik

they must be good pals then ;)

Russ
26-12-2004, 17:13

Face-fitting certainly does go on today and particularly in the media. Radio is a job where (luckily for me) your looks play no part but in other aspects the whole thing is rife.

ikthius
26-12-2004, 17:21
they must be good pals then ;)
She sucked up to them everytime they came in to the centre. She would have a very brown colour to her nose, and have a very iffy smell when they left.
:D

ik

kronas
26-12-2004, 17:25
She sucked up to them everytime they came in to the centre. She would have a very brown colour to her nose, and have a very iffy smell when they left.
:D

ik

:rofl: how predictable was that. :D

AndrewJ
26-12-2004, 17:34
:dozey: and you know they aint gay how :naughty:

kronas
26-12-2004, 17:35
:dozey: and you know they aint gay how :naughty:

:rofl: good question! :p:

ikthius
26-12-2004, 17:57
because one was married with kids, and the other just fell pregnant.

ik
p.s. they may be gay now, I don't know, they have moved on themselves.

Escapee
26-12-2004, 18:19
I think face fitting goes on a lot in large companies, but not so much in smaller ones. The smaller companies generally can't afford to have hangers on that are not capable in their job, very often someone will be given a job in a company by one of their mates who happens to be a manager, sometimes the person is useless but is given the position as a foot in the door.

Brown nose syndrom is encountered in both large and small companies, I hate it when I hear someone sucking up to bosses/managers. We have a brown noser in my department, he's like cancer! Doesn't stop scheming 24/7 theres never a rest, he's a lower grade than myself but to hear him talk especially to suppliers you would think he runs the show and has complete control of spending money.

I find that 99% of employees will never speak their minds about bosses, but it's funny how they all say the boss was crap the moment he has left the company. I am too honest with my opinions and I am not able to suck up/brown nose people, in ntl I found there was a culture where certain corporate technical people were crap at their job. There was no way to get through this barrier though because all the crap ones seemed to know it and stick together to protect one another.... bit like a pile of s**t I suppose :D

My face never fits, I get the job done with minimum fuss and unlike the current brown noser I work with, I dont go around telling the bosses what a great job I have done all on my own. ;)

Dont even get me started on the subject of women being treated differently in the work place! I worked with one women who used to sneeze and we would all say "that's a fortnight" she had a few days off every month and always got away with it! I went sick on a Tuesday and my manager told my supervisor that there was a pattern to my sickness...... I had gone off sick on a Tuesday the last time I was absent from work... the funny part was my previous sickness was over 2 years earlier.

The same woman had an "A" in her appraisal, I couldn't resist telling the boss she got an "A" because she was never in work to do anything wrong!

Thats me, speak my mind and say what others think but are too scared to say. :D

sir_drinks_alot
28-12-2004, 21:13
yup this happens all the time just a Fact of life.

Ramrod
28-12-2004, 21:52
In my experience, having a face that fits makes it easier to get a job.
The correct appearance and manner go a long way to helping get what you want. Not having the right face means you have to try harder.

Maggy
28-12-2004, 22:13
In my experience, having a face that fits makes it easier to get a job.
The correct appearance and manner go a long way to helping get what you want. Not having the right face means you have to try harder.

Yes but it REALLY should be about whether you can do the job or why the chuffing heck do we have to take take exams and get qualifications?It might be true for some jobs where looks are more important(or the boss is a pervert) but frankly I have never had that experience myself in my profession.I also suspect that this is the case in many professions.Frankly I couldn't care less myself what the nurse or doctor who takes care of me when I'm ill looks like.What I'm more concerned with is that they have the correct qualifications and are good at their job.So it is NOT true in EVERY case. :erm:

Tricky
28-12-2004, 22:35
Is it a question of "does the face fit" or "first apperance" that gets you the job in an interview. It is so true that you have one chance to make an impression!

As for knowing people to get a job, then yes it definately exists in every organisation. I got my first ever job cos my mum knew someone in a training company and I've never looked back since. In my current organisation we advertise internal vacancies that people cannot get! due to the requirements of the job only fitting one or maybe two people tops but following the rules we advertise rather than promoting someone. Problem is everyone without the "relevant" experience doesn't get a look in unless someone in a senior position says "give them the interview!" it stinks.

How many organisations talk about "Raising your Profile" roughly translates to how many managers know your name and what you do and have done for the organisation. It's also known as brown nosing in my book but if it helps to progress then bobs your uncle or aunt!

rant over

Ramrod
28-12-2004, 22:48
Yes but it REALLY should be about whether you can do the job or why the chuffing heck do we have to take take exams and get qualifications?It might be true for some jobs where looks are more important(or the boss is a pervert) but frankly I have never had that experience myself in my profession.I also suspect that this is the case in many professions.Frankly I couldn't care less myself what the nurse or doctor who takes care of me when I'm ill looks like.What I'm more concerned with is that they have the correct qualifications and are good at their job.So it is NOT true in EVERY case. :erm:Our genes tend to skew our judgement towards favouring good looks. It is necessary to overcome that before an ugly person can be fairly judged beside a good looking one.
Not fair, I know.....

Maggy
28-12-2004, 23:04
Our genes tend to skew our judgement towards favouring good looks. It is necessary to overcome that before an ugly person can be fairly judged beside a good looking one.
Not fair, I know.....

OH I know that.Why do you think I chose to go for a job that is about qualities not looks.