PDA

View Full Version : disk install help

nic0teen
25-12-2004, 03:40
hope someone can help me please. i was installing ntl using usb-cable modem options and something went wrong. when i put in the disk now it hangs on 'closing' after failing to find a connection. the initial problem started when i put in the wrong surname when registering and then it tried to close the installation, but just hangs there. when i reboot it go's back to the same place on the disk 'closing'. i have looked at msconfig and removed the path to a recover.exe, which is held in c:windows\temp\ and also regedit 'H_L_M/software/micosuck/windoze/currentversion/run, and removed an entry also pointing to this file...but it keeps coming back to 'closing' when i try to restart the install!! so if anyone can tell me were to remove the files that tells the computer things have FCKed and to pick up were it left off, i would be very grateful. if i can register without the disk on some new user site that would get me out of a spot. the connection is up and ip is assigned but because i have not registered i cant surf. cant get through to NTL because its Xmas. thanks for the help in advance......nicola

poolking
25-12-2004, 04:35
Don't use the disk.

Follow these instructions instead:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603

nic0teen
25-12-2004, 09:06
thank-you poolking, that was the url that i needed. merry xmas and cheers for the swift reply. i will post back later and tell you how i got on.

nic0teen
26-12-2004, 22:10
Well thanks again poolking! the link really got me out of a spot, the setup i was doing was for my niece for xmas. It would not have looked good if santa could not have got the internet working! So you saved the day mate....xmas was complete for her.
Just to add, even after i did get registered thanks to poolking, after every reboot i was still getting a mesage to say that the install had failed and please insert the disk. It then froze on the same closing dialogue box.
The file that was doing this was called 'recoverfromreboot.exe' which is held in c:\windows\temp. I had to do a few things to clear this problem for good.
Firstly i did ctrl_alt_del and tabbed over to processes and ended the process called 'recoverfromreboot'.
Second i went to 'start' then 'run' and typed 'msconfig', tabbed over to 'startup' and unticked an entry for 'recoverfromreboot'.
Third i went to 'start' then 'run' again and typed 'regedit', i opened up 'HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Run' and removed an entry for 'recoverfromreboot' by right click on the value in the right window and going to 'delete'.
Lastly all that was left was to remove the file itself which was as mentioned before stored in c:\windows\temp, then the problem was gone.

I added this info in the hope it may help someone out sometime, if its already on the site somewere i am sorry. Big thanks to poolking again for saving the day!! Nicola XO :-)

poolking
26-12-2004, 22:28
Thanks. :tu:

Glad you got it sorted. :D