PDA

View Full Version : How great is my Xmas going to be!!!

Caspar
24-12-2004, 05:07
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm going to spend the Xmas period with an abscess in one of my front teeth, boy it so hurts....can't eat without severe pain! :(

I'm on a course of anti-biotics...which means the 80 bottles of beer and 4 bottles of wine...will go untouched for xmas day and boxing day :( ...and forget having a proper xmas dinner! :rolleyes:

...oh and can't sleep so Santa won't come either :(

I feel like just pulling the binking thing out...and walk around with a missing front tooth!....[and tell peeps that I am a boxer! :p: ]

Chimaera
24-12-2004, 08:21
I sympathise!!!! :ghugs:
My wisdom tooth has been painful for the last 3 days, and I can't get a dentist's appointment until the end of January! :cry:
Might see you at the emergency dentist on boxing Day then?
Hope you see some improvement soon :kiss:

Caspar
24-12-2004, 08:34
I sympathise!!!! :ghugs:
My wisdom tooth has been painful for the last 3 days, and I can't get a dentist's appointment until the end of January! :cry:
Might see you at the emergency dentist on boxing Day then?
Hope you see some improvement soon :kiss:

I phoned NHSdirect up and explained the issue, as backup just in case my dentist denied me an app! ..as it happens when I phoned up the dnetist...they gave me an app for 2 hours later! ...well happy!!!!...[about my absys! :(]

I hope it doesn't give you any problems :) ...i have a steady taste of abscess in my mouth now :rolleyes:

Tricky
24-12-2004, 08:37
Good luck mate, I know someone that had one drained and he said "It hurt like b......y" - Got to be better than what you have now!

I've got a 16 month old teething so he's not getting any beer either!

Jon M
24-12-2004, 09:14
I'm on a course of anti-biotics...which means the 80 bottles of beer and 4 bottles of wine...will go untouched for xmas day and boxing day :( ...and forget having a proper xmas dinner!
80 beers and 4 bottles of wine in 48hrs on your own!??

Mr_love_monkey
24-12-2004, 10:12
80 beers and 4 bottles of wine in 48hrs on your own!??
Yeah, that's just insane.... you're going to need more wine than that :)

Caspar
24-12-2004, 10:23
To be fair, I'm no alchy...it's not just for Xmas it's for xmas week and new year...plus this last week... but so far I've only had 2 bottles from before these damn bad tasting pills!

I'm popping 5 bills every 5 hours! :( (2xparacetamol, 2xibuprofen, 1xantibiotics (forget its name))

orangebird
24-12-2004, 10:28
Yeah, that's just insane.... you're going to need more wine than that :)

pmsl :rofl:

I've not been sluttish enough - someone please rep Mr lm for me??? :D:D:D

Caspar
24-12-2004, 10:40
Can I just point out that my abscess (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9979.htm) has very little to do with the 1989 James Cameron deep sea film, with a similar sounding name (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/), unlike what a certain person (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=6) who seems to think so!!! :rolleyes:

:p:

daxx
24-12-2004, 12:31
pmsl :rofl:

I've not been sluttish enough - someone please rep Mr lm for me??? :D:D:D
done :)

Mr_love_monkey
24-12-2004, 12:34
ta :)

aliferste
24-12-2004, 12:51
I had an abcess once and the pain was terrible. The actual relief of going to the dentist and as they gave the injection it was soooooooo soothing...and I hate injections.
It was much better after they drained it :)

Caspar
24-12-2004, 12:56
no draining and no soothing...i was just giving a 5day anti-biotics programme :confused: :(

I'm in absolute agone here...I'm going to nip into Boots and find some strong pain killers....

what's better than ibuprofen?

Russ
24-12-2004, 12:57
Can I just point out that my abscess (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9979.htm) has very little to do with the 1989 James Cameron deep sea film, with a similar sounding name (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/), unlike what a certain person (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=6) who seems to think so!!! :rolleyes:

Guilty.

It was me :(

Nugget
24-12-2004, 12:58

A 2 by 4 round the back of the head? ;)

Actually, I don't know if you can get Cocodamol over the counter, but that always sorted my knees out after my op - they might be alright :tu:

Paul
24-12-2004, 13:03
what's better than ibuprofen?twice as much ibuprofen ?

Marge
24-12-2004, 13:07
Try Kapake, did wonders for my toothache ;)

Caspar
24-12-2004, 13:08
twice as much ibuprofen ?

It's ok for about an hour...but then it hurts again...but I'm limited to how many ibuprofen's I can take in a day :(

I might just knock a few glasses of wine back...and fall asleep until the pain stops

Russ
24-12-2004, 13:11
Put on some Radiohead - instant anaesthetic :D

bopdude
24-12-2004, 13:16
Forget the pills Casper, you already have all the relief you need sat in bottles, and if you do need a hand, well i'm sure you'll find some volunteers............... somewhere :dozey: :p: :D

Mal
24-12-2004, 13:20
Is it clove oil or something like that? You put it on a a peice of gauze or something similar and then put it directly onto the gum. It worked wonders for me.

Shaun
24-12-2004, 13:36
no draining and no soothing...i was just giving a 5day anti-biotics programme :confused: :(

I'm in absolute agone here...I'm going to nip into Boots and find some strong pain killers....

Boots sell painkillers for dental pain, they are excellent, can't remember what's in them but they worked a treat for me. :)

HTH.......and get better soon mate :(

Edit - oh and if it's really excruciating (i.e. you can't stand the pain) then ring your GP and ask for a telephone consultation with a doctor (which they can normally do the same day) and ask the doc for a prescription for painkillers to be left at reception for you. :)

etccarmageddon
24-12-2004, 13:41

I'm going to spend the Xmas period with an abscess in one of my front teeth, boy it so hurts....can't eat without severe pain! :(

I'm on a course of anti-biotics...which means the 80 bottles of beer and 4 bottles of wine...will go untouched for xmas day and boxing day :( ...and forget having a proper xmas dinner! :rolleyes:

I feel like just pulling the binking thing out...and walk around with a missing front tooth!....[and tell peeps that I am a boxer! :p: ]

stop complaining - I've been off work for the last week with the sneezes, coughs etc plus I have accute gob ache which I think/hope is just an ulcer. I cant eat properly so the turkey will be entering via one side of my mouth! :(

I've had little sleep through the week due to the virus and appart from all that life is difficult cos I have to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and get reminded how ugly I am. :p:

Bifta
24-12-2004, 13:42

Join the club, I have a large abscess around my top right molars, for around a week it was effing painful, now the side of my face has expanded to size of a small weather balloon the pain seem's to be dying off, I've not been able to get a dentists appt. until the 4th January and my useless doctor won't prescribe me antibiotics and insists that I see my dentist ...

Nemesis
24-12-2004, 13:44
There's a product called Dentagen, clove oil and peppermint based. Tastes like crap, but really eases the pain. Tesco's do it :D Good Luck mate

Bifta
24-12-2004, 13:46
Is it clove oil or something like that? You put it on a a peice of gauze or something similar and then put it directly onto the gum. It worked wonders for me.

You're not really supposed to put clove oil directly onto your gums, and I certainly wouldn't recommend slapping it over an abscess.

Best way to get rid of the pain if you can't get to the doctors is to take 400mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours and 2 Paracetamol with Codeine every 4 hours so you're taking painkillers every 2 hours, recommended by my local chemist, works a treat.

Caspar
24-12-2004, 13:47
Boots sell painkillers for dental pain, they are excellent, can't remember what's in them but they worked a treat for me. :)

HTH.......and get better soon mate :(

Edit - oh and if it's really excruciating (i.e. you can't stand the pain) then ring your GP and ask for a telephone consultation with a doctor (which they can normally do the same day) and ask the doc for a prescription for painkillers to be left at reception for you. :)

Just bought Boots [own] Dental Pain Relief, relieves toothache and dental pain. It contains the nominal 500mg of Paracetamol and 7.46mg Dihydrocodeine Tartrate...

Thanks dellwear :)

Shaun
24-12-2004, 13:49
stop complaining - I've been off work for the last week with the sneezes, coughs etc plus I have accute gob ache which I think/hope is just an ulcer. I cant eat properly so the turkey will be entering via one side of my mouth! :(

I've had little sleep through the week due to the virus and appart from all that life is difficult cos I have to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and get reminded how ugly I am. :p:

Someones got a cob on!!! Anyone would have thought you'd got a cough, sneezes, a mouth ulcer and acute ugliness! :p: :D

Salu
24-12-2004, 14:05
Join the club, I have a large abscess around my top right molars, for around a week it was effing painful, now the side of my face has expanded to size of a small weather balloon the pain seem's to be dying off, I've not been able to get a dentists appt. until the 4th January and my useless doctor won't prescribe me antibiotics and insists that I see my dentist ...

You really must go to the dentist Bifta. Your doctor won't know how to treat this the best. If your face has swelled as much as you say then you are putting yourself at risk by not going.

You can get bone infections and sinus infections and even the rare complication of a brain abscess. You may need this surgically draining as the infected tissue might be too inflammed for the antibiotics to reach.

Any dentist would see you immediately if you told him those symptoms.

Bone infections can require drastic surgery...... :disturbd:

Caspar
24-12-2004, 14:09
Salu to the rescue :tu: :)

Yeah, when I phoned my dentist and told them I suspected an abcess I got an appointment a few hours later... when I got there they were mad busy and I was impressed with them fitting me it...

Salu
24-12-2004, 14:12
Just bought Boots [own] Dental Pain Relief, relieves toothache and dental pain. It contains the nominal 500mg of Paracetamol and 7.46mg Dihydrocodeine Tartrate...

Keep taking the Ibuprofen too Caspar. You can take 400mg 3 times a day. Unless you are asthmatic or have a history of stomach ulcers...

If the antibiotic is Metronidazole then you should avoid the alcohol as the effects can at worst, hospitalise you. If it is Penicillin, Erythromycin or Amoxicillin then you should be OK to drink in moderation.

Russ
24-12-2004, 14:37
Wow! Tech support AND medical advice!! This forum just gets better each day :D

Bifta
24-12-2004, 15:47

I hope they didn't charge you too much for that ;) It's only Co-Codamol after all which you can buy 48 of in most chemists for less than a couple of quid.

Mr_love_monkey
24-12-2004, 16:02
Wow! Tech support AND medical advice!! This forum just gets better each day :D
Is now a good time to talk about my rash?

aliferste
24-12-2004, 16:20
Is now a good time to talk about my rash?

No........You need a Vet.

Serves you right for messsing with the monkeys in the first place Mr so called Monkey Lover!!

homealone
24-12-2004, 16:23
it doesn't help any, but I have had my fair share of abcesses & it is the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Caspar, you should start to feel considerably better, once the antibiotics kick in & the infection starts to subside - hope so, anyway.:tu:

Bifta, like Salu says, if your face is swelling up, you really should try to get some treatment - is there not an emergency dentist, or even casualty? When I had similar (I looked like a cross between a hamster & the elephant man :( ), the dentist froze it with ethyl chloride & lanced it, there & then, to get the swelling down (lots of firm massage to the face at the same time), then a week on AB's before a root filling. - a right palaver, but anything was better than the agony I was in.

One more thing, a small amount of whisky sloshed around inside the mouth can give some temporary relief .

Mr_love_monkey
24-12-2004, 16:32
No........You need a Vet.

Serves you right for messsing with the monkeys in the first place Mr so called Monkey Lover!!

Damn... seems like my secret is out... :)

Tezcatlipoca
24-12-2004, 16:39

Ouch :(

And no beer or Christmas dinner!

Hope you get it sorted soon, Cas.

Solpadeine Max is good - paracetamol & codeine.

Maggy
24-12-2004, 18:20
it doesn't help any, but I have had my fair share of abcesses & it is the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Caspar, you should start to feel considerably better, once the antibiotics kick in & the infection starts to subside - hope so, anyway.:tu:

Bifta, like Salu says, if your face is swelling up, you really should try to get some treatment - is there not an emergency dentist, or even casualty? When I had similar (I looked like a cross between a hamster & the elephant man :( ), the dentist froze it with ethyl chloride & lanced it, there & then, to get the swelling down (lots of firm massage to the face at the same time), then a week on AB's before a root filling. - a right palaver, but anything was better than the agony I was in.

One more thing, a small amount of whisky sloshed around inside the mouth can give some temporary relief .

So can a large amount of whisky-like a whole bottle! :tu:

Bifta
24-12-2004, 18:49
Salu to the rescue :tu: :)

Yeah, when I phoned my dentist and told them I suspected an abcess I got an appointment a few hours later... when I got there they were mad busy and I was impressed with them fitting me it...

When I phoned mine, he told me 4th of January at the earliest and if I wasn't happy with that then to go to casualty, I phoned casualty to see if that was normal, they said no and referred me back to my dentist. I'm not overly bothered now as I've found a full course of antibiotics I was supposed to take for a recent chest infection.

Salu
25-12-2004, 00:14
You are running a risk Bifta. Antibiotics are not a panacea for every infection. Infections need to be treated with a combination of antibiotic therapy and surgical incision and drainage. The size of the swelling you describe can be misleading when typed (+/- exaggeration) on a forum, but the antibiotics may not work because of the volumous pocket of pus feeding the infected tissue.
Conversely they may work and you pat yourself on the back and mutter "Who needs doctors?" More good fortune than self treatment....

Richard M
25-12-2004, 00:31
...surgical incision and drainage.

Lovely... :erm:

homealone
25-12-2004, 00:48
You are running a risk Bifta. Antibiotics are not a panacea for every infection. Infections need to be treated with a combination of antibiotic therapy and surgical incision and drainage. The size of the swelling you describe can be misleading when typed (+/- exaggeration) on a forum, but the antibiotics may not work because of the volumous pocket of pus feeding the infected tissue.
Conversely they may work and you pat yourself on the back and mutter "Who needs doctors?" More good fortune than self treatment....

when I got the extreme swelling of my face, it was more like water retention, than pus, presumably the lymph system trying to give me something, the actual abcess required a procedure called an apisectomy - it involved some scraping of the jawbone to work, I have had two of them - but wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :shudders:

Caspar
25-12-2004, 00:54
I can't sleep! and we have guests over....it's hard to be polite and cheerful when in complete agony!

Not looking forward to the next 8 hours until the wife gets up and the day begins...

homealone
25-12-2004, 01:15
I can't sleep! and we have guests over....it's hard to be polite and cheerful when in complete agony!

Not looking forward to the next 8 hours until the wife gets up and the day begins...

based on alcohol as pain killer - slosh it round your mouth, but don't swallow, tequila works...

Russ
25-12-2004, 01:16
slosh it round your mouth, but don't swallow, tequila works...

Great to start Christmas Day off with a double entendre :D

LSainsbury
25-12-2004, 12:25
Keep taking the Ibuprofen too Caspar. You can take 400mg 3 times a day. Unless you are asthmatic or have a history of stomach ulcers...

If the antibiotic is Metronidazole then you should avoid the alcohol as the effects can at worst, hospitalise you. If it is Penicillin, Erythromycin or Amoxicillin then you should be OK to drink in moderation.

I also have had a toothache - been going on since August - been to the dentist about 5 times - I'm now on a course of Erythromycin - last time I had Amoxicillin for a Sinus infection I came out in a rash the day after finishing the course....

I'm s***ing myself becuase I finish this course on Monday / Tuesday and Tuesday I'm taking the GF to Paris for the New Year - god I hope I don't wake up with spots - they will never let me on the plane!!

Salu - should I be ok with Erythromycin ?

:Yikes:

Lee

Marge
25-12-2004, 12:29
Lee, sounds like you could have an allergy to penicillin hence the spots, I'm sure Erythromycin doesn't so thats why you've been prescribed those instead.

LSainsbury
25-12-2004, 12:41
Lee, sounds like you could have an allergy to penicillin hence the spots, I'm sure Erythromycin doesn't so thats why you've been prescribed those instead.

Thanks - I was asked if I had any allergies - I did mention the Amoxicillin incident....hence the Erythromycin.

At the time, I didn't quite understand why they only appeared after taking the course, and not just after a few...I suppose it has something to do with the level of the chemicals in you body?

BTW - I'm also taking Panadol for the pain that comes and goes - I've been told thats ok.....I was taking Nurofen, but that kept giving me a stomach upset - probably becuase I wasn't eating much or anything at the time of taking them!

Thanks for the advice - good to know CF is open 27/7/365 for medical advice!

Lee

Salu
25-12-2004, 14:35
I also have had a toothache - been going on since August - been to the dentist about 5 times - I'm now on a course of Erythromycin - last time I had Amoxicillin for a Sinus infection I came out in a rash the day after finishing the course....

I'm s***ing myself becuase I finish this course on Monday / Tuesday and Tuesday I'm taking the GF to Paris for the New Year - god I hope I don't wake up with spots - they will never let me on the plane!!

Salu - should I be ok with Erythromycin ?

:Yikes:

Lee

Erythromycin is usually prescribed as an alternative for people who are allergic to penicillin; which Amoxycillin is a member of. You should be OK....#

Merry Christmas everyone!

Salu
25-12-2004, 14:39
Thanks - I was asked if I had any allergies - I did mention the Amoxicillin incident....hence the Erythromycin.

At the time, I didn't quite understand why they only appeared after taking the course, and not just after a few...I suppose it has something to do with the level of the chemicals in you body?

BTW - I'm also taking Panadol for the pain that comes and goes - I've been told thats ok.....I was taking Nurofen, but that kept giving me a stomach upset - probably becuase I wasn't eating much or anything at the time of taking them!

Thanks for the advice - good to know CF is open 27/7/365 for medical advice!

Lee

I don't think it's known why the rash can appear instantly or sometimes after the course....its a regular observation though.

Nurofen is a member of a group of drugs called NSAIDs (Non sterioidal anti inflammatory drugs) these are known to uspet some people's stomachs. Take with food to help avoid this. You can take Nurofen WITH paracetamol to assist analgesia (pain relief). Nurofen's main properties are anti inflammatory which reliefs the cause of the pain and not just dulls the pain.....

LSainsbury
25-12-2004, 15:04
I don't think it's known why the rash can appear instantly or sometimes after the course....its a regular observation though.

Nurofen is a member of a group of drugs called NSAIDs (Non sterioidal anti inflammatory drugs) these are known to uspet some people's stomachs. Take with food to help avoid this. You can take Nurofen WITH paracetamol to assist analgesia (pain relief). Nurofen's main properties are anti inflammatory which reliefs the cause of the pain and not just dulls the pain.....

I've never had a problem with Nurofen before - mind you - I was taking quite a lot of them (but not overdosing on them...)

I take panadol to help the pain, but it does kinda come back quicker than it would when taking Nurofen....as you say - it's an anti inflammatory so it would be better.

Cheers,

Caspar
21-01-2005, 16:54
ok...to update things... I had a letter from a private medical place in Manchester... Basically "you have been referred, please phone and make an appointment".

I feel I'm going to be ripped off!!! I pay my taxes and nat ins...so why do I have to pay £600 to get a root filling redone?

Is that right, or can I complain about having to pay for £600 of dental treatment?