PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!

AlanYork
19-12-2004, 19:18
This is driving me bananas, please help........!!! MSN in their wisdom decided to upgrade my inbox size as they have done with all the country. Now I can't get into hotmail 75 % of the time. I just get the dreaded error 404 message, cant find site. Sometimes but not always hardly anything opens.

Called up NTL, they put me on a proxy server. Great, all ok now but when I try to move things from folder to folder it kicks me out, sends me back to the log in screen.

Call up NTL, speak to an Indian, on which I make no comment and he tells me, "but that can't be happening", well it is!

Then after a while I can get in using NTLs proxy but when I shut down and reeboot the problem occurs again!

Lots of to-ing and fro-ing later leaves MSN saying its NTLs problem and vice versa. I'm just the poor bloody idiot thats paying for it!

I've done all the usual stuff, there's no Trojans, viruses or adware. I'd appreciate somebody correcting me if I'm wrong about this but as I use a stand alone cable modem with my phone line totally seperate to my pc I can not posibly have any rogue dialers on it. I've checked in network connections and all seems to be ok...so....what the hell is the problem?

Presently I'm using another proxy and everything is ok, for how long Lord knows.

I dont ask for much from my pc, just to send and receive e mail, use messenger, browse the web and play games occasionally. Since I joined NTL in October I seem to have had nothing but hassle which I wont bore you all with but I could really use this being fixed.I just feel that neither NTL nor MSN give a sh*t frankly!!!

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:25
I thought we had no option wether we wanted to use a proxy or not and we are all forced to use a proxy anyway, they call it a transparent proxy, But all i experience from the proxy's are friggin slowness and some websites dont even work.

not only that, i just hate the transparent proxys because you get the feeling the websites your browsing and all the data being transfered to the website is going through a computer somewhere which could be compromised.

But anyways i find that running a program called multiproxy, and going to google and searching for free anonymous proxy servers and just entering the addresses into multiproxy (the proxy client), configure IE / what ever browser you use to connect through MultiProxy (the proxy client) and it solves my website problems... the ones supposedly not existing is now loading. I hope this helps

paulyoung666
19-12-2004, 19:31
hi and :welcome: to the site AlanYork , is it only msn you are having problems with ???????? :)

SLM
19-12-2004, 20:03
I am not that techie but if msn changed something its down to msn not ntl!!!:erm: :confused: :shocked:

Jackal
19-12-2004, 23:37
I was getting this problem using IE, however it is fine now that I am using Mozilla.

Raistlin
20-12-2004, 01:47
Alan,

:welcome:

Have you tried clearing your IE cache, deleting your temporary internet files and cleaning out your cookies?

If none of that works I would try increasing the size of the folder used for temporary internet files.

If you need a hand with any of the above please shout :D

Raist

AlanYork
20-12-2004, 05:32
Yeah I tried all that but thanks anyway. I just don't understand why I keep getting sent back to the log in screen when I try to put stuff in folders with a proxy server.

It's an NTL proxy after all.

Come to think of it, I seem to be the only person I know who continually gets error 404 when he tries to access hotmail without a proxy, all sites will open, but not hotmail and occasionally MSN groups....what the f**k is going on?????????

I have a German e mail address from a company called gmx, works like a charm. Maybe I should just ditch hotmail as my patience is getting thin. Like I said, NTL say it's MSN. MSN say my accounts' fine and it must be NTL and I'm getting thoroughly sick of it.

Paul K
20-12-2004, 07:20
Got any firewalls or cookie removal software running that might be impeding it? The hotmail interface relies on cookies t owork so if you have a damaged cookie or your firewall is blocking the site or cookie creation then it will keep throwing you out.