PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband ZERO CAP Theory!

coolape
19-12-2004, 18:10
Well guys, I know im new, and I am one of those 24/7 gamers when i aint in college, and with chatting, uploading Large Graphic files for my website, photo's (slide films from my 35mm slr camera) and the smallest scan for a photo is about 4MB for a good scan, so can you imagine 4MBx36 frames? not to mention Graphic files nearly 20MB...

Linux ISO's, and everything,... im subscribed to the 1.5mbps package and my daily download is nearly 4 gigs maybe more...

But the phone line isnt under my name, and i dont think we were assigned any usernames to log onto the internet am I right? the only username we have is for us to access the ntl website(for upgrades, billing and etc), and email!

So that leaves me to beleive they cant monitor our account!, but what they can do is Monitor our IP, so each month they will monitor our IP and track down our MAC Address which each computer is assigned.

By doing so they will then find out accounts and monitor us through that way.
But since i hate having the same IP address every day i change my MAC Address and just turn off and turn on the modem and badabing badaboom, new IP.. anyways because this is getting real long and boring,
My theory is, NEW IP, YOU GET ANOTHER 30GB CAP, so what im saying is, just say u used 25Gigs of bandwidth on your IP, and got reassigned a new IP, you might just get another 30Gig?..

What do you guys think?

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 18:13
Cunning... Must remember that one now (AFAIK) the registration is no longer tied to MAC address!

Neil
19-12-2004, 18:17
*Moved to Broadband Discussion forum*

Derek
19-12-2004, 18:21
Nice theory.

Pity it's complete pants. Any monitoring will be done on the modems own Mac ID and not the one of any computer it's attached to.

coolape
19-12-2004, 18:32
Nice theory.
Pity it's complete pants. Any monitoring will be done on the modems own Mac ID and not the one of any computer it's attached to.
So i was almost correct... alittle research, find out how to change ur modems mac id... do u think it might work dezzo?

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 18:34
Now. now... I sense we are getting into dangerous ground here.

coolape
19-12-2004, 18:37
Now. now... I sense we are getting into dangerous ground here.talking about it isnt dangerous, it might just let NTL rethink what they're doing and start thinking of scrapping tha caps or increasing it to a larger amount for people who use the net everyday and for heavy use..

aslong as we dont discus "How to do it" and "dont do it ourselfs" we should be fine.

Derek
19-12-2004, 18:40
Changing the MAC ID is possible. Although it would be a major breach of the T&C's and is probably the quickest way to get the service disconnected completely.

Also a modem won't work unless it has a properly registered Mac ID. Without it you can only get to a couple of websites.

coolape
19-12-2004, 18:48
Changing the MAC ID is possible. Although it would be a major breach of the T&C's and is probably the quickest way to get the service disconnected completely.

Also a modem won't work unless it has a properly registered Mac ID. Without it you can only get to a couple of websites.
I was reading you signature, and you state that you work for NTL? is that true? what do you exactly do for NTL?

and by me changing my MAC id for my NIC card is that breaching the T&C? all i wanted was a new IP.

Russ
19-12-2004, 19:03
and by me changing my MAC id for my NIC card is that breaching the T&C? all i wanted was a new IP.

You could always pay for it with a business package instead of trying to get something for nothing...

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 19:04
If you re-read the previous posts, there is nothing to stop you changing the MAC address on your NIC or router, which will get you a new IP address. What is NOT allowed, is changing the MAC address of the cable modem or STB, as this constitutes interfererence with NTL's equipment. (Am I right, dezzo?)

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:05
If you re-read the previous posts, there is nothing to stop you changing the MAC address on your NIC or router, which will get you a new IP address. What is NOT allowed, is changing the MAC address of the cable modem or STB, as this constitutes interfererence with NTL's equipment. (Am I right, dezzo?)
I guess that does make sense :)...

Shaun
19-12-2004, 19:15
all i wanted was a new IP.

Why?

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:17
i am one of the operators in a hackers channel on irc, and alot of people dont like me very much. So i get alot of DDoS attacks, at one point my IP was attacked for almost 6 days, contacted ntl and they said they couldnt do anything.

From then on If i get attacked i just change my mac, turn off the modem, get a new ip. and ofcourse i get attacked again and again and i just change and change my ip.

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 19:22
Good tactic, but have you considered the impact on whichever poor s.d gets allocated the IP you've released? (Not intended as a criticism, as I'm not sure what else you could do, but it could cause problems for others?)

Tristan
19-12-2004, 19:25
it might just let NTL rethink what they're doing and start thinking of scrapping tha caps or increasing it to a larger amount for people who use the net everyday and for heavy use..

...or charging people more to people who use the internet more, which is the direction they're heading.

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:26
Good tactic, but have you considered the impact on whichever poor s.d gets allocated the IP you've released? (Not intended as a criticism, as I'm not sure what else you could do, but it could cause problems for others?)
lol, never thought of it that way, but can i do? i did my best at calling ntl giving them the individual's real IP address along with their 61.5k fast connection bots, location (not home address), and NTL practically said "Nothing to do with us, if you want a new IP turn ur modem of for about 4 hoursand you should be assigned a new ip".

Russ
19-12-2004, 19:27
So are you after a new IP because of the hacker's channel or to try and avoid ntl's cap?

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 19:29
As I read it, the 'new ip' was to avoid DDOS attacks, but he/she was wondering if it was also a way round the CAPs. Seems fair enough.

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:30
So are you after a new IP because of the hacker's channel or to try and avoid ntl's cap?im after a new ip if i get attacked, other than that i just leave the net on 24/7... But since i noticed the IP gets Changed if u change MAC, i came up with this theory.

Paul
19-12-2004, 19:44
I'm glad I don't live on the same ubr as you. You sound like just the sort of user ntl would like to be rid off, and i would agree with them. Shame about your theory, it won't work.

coolape
19-12-2004, 19:48
why would they want to get rid of me? im a paying customer, but by judging by your post i think that you think im somekind of hacker or something, Im only an operator there because i know some of them in real life, thats how i got to be an op there. I dont hack, i dont know how to hack, cant say i havent been reading about it but thats not the point, i havent "done" anything illegal so far.

Dont judge a book by its covers,. just because i hang arround in a hackers channel doesnt mean i am one.

Okay i have thought of doing something illegal by coming up with this theory, but i havent "done" it,..

I hope this clears up somethings....

*edited*
Oh and i wont be altering anything inside the modem supplied by ntl. I'd rather have a CAP on my account than no Internet at all.

Russ
19-12-2004, 19:49
I think Paul was referring to your usage levels....

Paul
19-12-2004, 19:57
why would they want to get rid of me? im a paying customer, but by judging by your post i think that you think im somekind of hacker or something.Nope, nothing to do with you being a hacker or not (except for the attacks on your ip). I was referring to your usage of 4GB a day (that's 120GB a month). You may be a paying customer, but you are not a profitable customer with that sort of usage, and you will certainly be having a detremental effect on other users on your ubr.

JohnHorb
19-12-2004, 19:59
I think this is getting a little out of hand. The OP is, by his own admission, a heavy user. He has been suffering DDOS attacks, and has asked NTL for advice. They have advised changing IP address by switching off the modem long enough for the IP lease to expire. The OP has realised that a quicker way is to change the MAC address - nothing 'illegal' about this, though it could impact on other users as I pointed out earlier. The poster has then wondered if this could be a loophole in the way CAPs will be implemented. Dezzo pointed out that this was not the case. The poster then made the mistake of asking whether it would be possible to change the MAC address of the modem. Once it was pointed out that this would be a breach of the T&Cs, the poster accepted this. It may well be in the interest of the majority of users (myself included) if heavy users moved elsewhere, but that is a different issue.

[Edit] I see others have posted whilst I was writing this!

coolape
19-12-2004, 20:02
Nope, nothing to do with you being a hacker or not (except for the attacks on your ip). I was referring to your usage of 4GB a day (that's 120GB a month). You may be a paying customer, but you are not a profitable customer with that sort of usage, and you will certainly be having a detremental effect on other users on your ubr.Ahha i see what you mean now, well thats what i recorded when i finished downloading slackware linux, freebsd, and gentoo linux... but since i dont use download managers, they dont always complete, and i'd have to restart the download. and it is not everyday i get to that limit, i'd say average is about 1.5 gigs a day, with Online gaming. dont forget i host a 6 player counter strike server for a few friends of mine. but i also do alot of graphics uploading and downloading, i forgot about that, and that is quite alot...

In my first post i said a 4 gig download daily, i meant the max i had reached in a day was 4 gigs maybe more.. but that was when i was recording how much i was doing, i havent been recording myself since then. but by looking at my status on the NIC, it is over 1 gigs right now.

Russ
19-12-2004, 20:04
Get the kettle on, expect the AUP any time at that rate :D

BBKing
20-12-2004, 00:22
What is NOT allowed

While changing MACs on your NIC is perfectly acceptable, one thing that will get you noticed is repeatedly changing MACs and getting new IPs - luckily, since this involves a lot of hassle, no one's likely to do it accidentally, but someone leasing several hundred IPs (because your old one is still leased) will get spotted, cut off and talked to remarkably quickly.

And yes, we should listen to people who are being DDosed, although I'm not totally sure what we can do (report the DOSer I suppose, but gathering the evidence is hard).

And whoever said turn your modem off for four hours to get a new IP should get a clue - the lease time is at least 48 hours these days.

JohnHorb
20-12-2004, 09:12
While changing MACs on your NIC is perfectly acceptable, one thing that will get you noticed is repeatedly changing MACs and getting new IPs - luckily, since this involves a lot of hassle, no one's likely to do it accidentally, but someone leasing several hundred IPs (because your old one is still leased) will get spotted, cut off and talked to remarkably quickly.

Good point - an 'ipconfig /release' before changing MAC address might be in order?

SOSAGES
20-12-2004, 10:23
4 gig a day uploading pictures to a website and d/ling linux how many versions of linux can u use? and just how much webspace do u have :) - now torrent and donkey sites are closing down i think we will see a major drop in most peoples bandwidth usage. :)

coolape
20-12-2004, 12:01
i have 1 slackware box ( one freebsd box and one windows xp box dual boot with slackware and gentoo. and thats not including the other 3 computers that belongs to my family.

and about the pictures, photography is my hobby, and to scan slide films using a dedicated film scanner can take up 4mb... and thats like half the quality, the max i have had is 11.2 mb for a picture, .. and the linux, unix box's are for playing on, i like to explore new things.

andrew_wallasey
20-12-2004, 12:48
What a complete an utter load of tosh!

Electrolyte01
20-12-2004, 13:26
As I read it, the 'new ip' was to avoid DDOS attacks
Get a router? :erm:

Ignition
20-12-2004, 18:12
Ummm pay a few quid for a BNC? http://www.gotbnc.com/

I'm absolutely astonished that you are displaying your real IP in a 'hackers' chat room, especially as you are apparently an op in there, would have thought a BNC would be a prerequisite.

coolape
21-12-2004, 15:50
Why are you afraid of showing ur real IP in a hackers chat room?, Im certainly not, whats the worst they can do to me? they definately cant access my computer as I AM BEHIND A ROUTER, and my main computer is behind my freebsd box, and its basically a firewall, and my slackware box is behind the freebsd box aswell, and the rest are some where else in the house,.. and btw IF you were DDoS'd a firewall / router will not save your little backside, heck if you attacked by thousands of computers every second, u can have the fastest line in the world and you will still get disconnected...

Mick
21-12-2004, 16:13
Why are you afraid of showing ur real IP in a hackers chat room?, Im certainly not

That's a strange thing to say IMO when you stated previously in this thread:-

From then on If i get attacked i just change my mac, turn off the modem, get a new ip. and ofcourse i get attacked again and again and i just change and change my ip.

Hiding your IP address as Ignition suggests above will stop you having to go round the houses just to get a new IP address. :cool:

coolape
21-12-2004, 16:17
That's a strange thing to say IMO when you stated previously in this thread:-

Hiding your IP address as Ignition suggests above will stop you having to go round the houses just to get a new IP address. :cool:
Yes it would save me the time in running arround the house, but i'd rather save my money and do a little excercise.. ;)

Anyways i think this thread has gone off topic, it's supposed to be a theory! and i guess alot of people out there cant accept the thought of having an exploit for something that hasnt even been released yet.

Stuart
21-12-2004, 16:59
Why are you afraid of showing ur real IP in a hackers chat room?, Im certainly not, whats the worst they can do to me? they definately cant access my computer as I AM BEHIND A ROUTER, and my main computer is behind my freebsd box, and its basically a firewall, and my slackware box is behind the freebsd box aswell, and the rest are some where else in the house,.. and btw IF you were DDoS'd a firewall / router will not save your little backside, heck if you attacked by thousands of computers every second, u can have the fastest line in the world and you will still get disconnected...
You have made one major mistake in dealing with hackers in this way. You assume you are secure. Don't. There are security flaws in FreeBSD (the same as any OS). I'll admit that I don't know what they are or how to exploit them, but they *are* there none the less. TBH, by broadcasting your real IP, you are asking to be hacked. In my experience, the people who claim they are safe from hacking are usually the ones who have (or have had) their networks hacked.

Don't assume you are safe behind a router either. There is a way (AT&T discovered it- will try and dig out the link) to discover how many computers are behind a router (even using NAT), and exactly what ports each is using.

So, it IS theoretically possible to access any computer, even behind a firewall and router.

True, a firewall/router won't stop a DDOS (although if the DDOS involves Pinging, a good firewall can reduce the effect). Broadcasting your IP does enable a hacker to DDOS your machine though. At least going through a BNC would slow them down.

As a side note, if you are happy to encourage people to DDOS you, I would hate to be on your UBR channel...

Ignition
21-12-2004, 17:34

Thanks for the valuable information, most educational, I do have a vague grasp of these things but that's interesting.

Incidentally although you obviously know all this already NAT can be traversed by various means, UDP and TCP sequence breaking being two of them, and it's nice to see that you are perfectly happy saving your 'little backside' while ntl owned kit takes a pounding on your behalf because you can't be bothered with a vhost or BNC and think it's leet to be DDoSd. *sigh*

FWIW I'm not afraid to show my real IP in a hacker / cracker room, mostly because such things are usually private and I wouldn't be in one anyway. If I wanted to go in one you're quite right I'd hide my real IP, some of us have static ones and even if I didn't I have better things to do than have a collection of packet kiddies nailing me.

Real hackers don't do packeting, packet kiddies do to be honest.

Stuartbe
21-12-2004, 17:40
You have made one major mistake in dealing with hackers in this way. You assume you are secure. Don't. There are security flaws in FreeBSD (the same as any OS). I'll admit that I don't know what they are or how to exploit them, but they *are* there none the less. TBH, by broadcasting your real IP, you are asking to be hacked. In my experience, the people who claim they are safe from hacking are usually the ones who have (or have had) their networks hacked.

Don't assume you are safe behind a router either. There is a way (AT&T discovered it- will try and dig out the link) to discover how many computers are behind a router (even using NAT), and exactly what ports each is using.

So, it IS theoretically possible to access any computer, even behind a firewall and router.

True, a firewall/router won't stop a DDOS (although if the DDOS involves Pinging, a good firewall can reduce the effect). Broadcasting your IP does enable a hacker to DDOS your machine though. At least going through a BNC would slow them down.

As a side note, if you are happy to encourage people to DDOS you, I would hate to be on your UBR channel...

Scastle is 100% correct...

There is no such thing as a 100% secure server/computer/network.

The only reasonably secure computer is one that is locked in a cabinet and has no network connections. Having an arogant attitude of " I am hack proof " will only result in tears. I also wonder what kind of "hacker" channel you freqent, Its sounds more like a " Cracker / Script kidie " channel. Real hackers dont use bots or brute force methods, They use inteligence and are usualy very skilled programers. Real hackers dont wont to cause disruption or problems, They wont to help secure the internet as a whole.

Showing your IP to these channels is just asking for trouble. There are plenty of ways to mask your real IP. I use arround 2gb a day dandwidth both up and down so I have a busisness connection with a static ip, and I have never had any problems ! With that kind of usage I would never consider a domestic service.

I just feel for the poor sucker that gets your IP after you have finished with it !!!!!

coolape
21-12-2004, 17:48
im sorry for the misunderstanding i wasnt saying i was secure, i just wanted to let out that if they wanted to hack me and delete all my files, i wouldnt care less i need a reformat anyway, yes a bnc or vhost would save alot of hassle, but im not under attack 24/7, but it does happen. and they do get fed up and eventually stop. :) yes i do agree hackers dont packet, and yes you did use the correct term packet kiddie! :P... i was only trying to say that you can have the best hardware, the best connection, the best of everything, but if you getting DDoS'ed nothing is going to stop your connection from being dropped :).. i hope you guys can understand what im trying to say here :P.. anyways hows the christmas party going at NTL? anything fun being planned at the offices?

Ignition
21-12-2004, 17:52
Yup we're going to DoS random users with their own uBR and track them by MAC address so changing IP is no escape :)

Would you care to provide your IP address please :angel:

Stuart
21-12-2004, 20:23
im sorry for the misunderstanding i wasnt saying i was secure, i just wanted to let out that if they wanted to hack me and delete all my files, i wouldnt care less i need a reformat anyway, So, when you said
from post 35 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=363792&postcount=35)
Why are you afraid of showing ur real IP in a hackers chat room?, Im certainly not, whats the worst they can do to me? they definately cant access my computer as I AM BEHIND A ROUTER, and my main computer is behind my freebsd box, and its basically a firewall, and my slackware box is behind the freebsd box aswell, and the rest are some where else in the house,..
You weren't saying you were secure, because I took "they definately cant access my computer as I AM BEHIND A ROUTER, and my main computer is a freebsd box, and it's basically a firewall" to mean you consider yourself secure? I am confused.

I agree that a firewall (or any equipment) will not stop a DDOS. One sure defence against DDOS's is to not broadcast your IP in the first place.

OK, so having your connection bombarded in this way may not affect you, but it may well affect anyone attached to the same card as you in your local UBR. You may well be slowing their connections. Let me ask, is that fair? Should they suffer slower connections because of something you do?

Mauldor
21-12-2004, 20:58
Can I add a couple points? I am right in thinking that a DDOS stands for :

Distrubited Denial of Service

How this works I thought (silly me) is that XXX number of Computers get taken over, by which i mean the master operator can use a whole bank of connected computers on anything from 56k to 100mbit etc to attack at once a certain target - like for example Microsoft, Apple or whatever web site you feel like today. The theory is that so many computers are asking for pings back that its both hard to stop ( as too many to add to reject list) and also the person who is attacking you does not even know that they are..

Now onto the attacking part ---you have to have something to attack, be it a web server, ftp server or whatever. Your router will drop packets for ports that are not forwarded through correct? Another question, why would these elite hackers be spending time attacking a Home computer with nothing worth having when there is much better and harder targets out there?

TheBlueRaja
21-12-2004, 21:09
Forget NTL - move to ADSL - what cap?

Simple...

Gareth
26-12-2004, 03:45
Another question, why would these elite hackers be spending time attacking a Home computer with nothing worth having when there is much better and harder targets out there?Good question. Prolly cause coolape has annoyed some l33t script kiddies in irc-land who now want to show coolape that they 0wn him but have got neither the maturity nor the intelligence to do it in style, oh and they also think that reading old posts on 2600.com makes them uber-hax0rs.

*sigh* I'd forgotten all about the joys of channels such as #l33t_h4x0rs or #uber_h4x0rs_0wn_joo in irc.

/me is off to read www.bash.org/?browse

Thorny
26-12-2004, 13:42
So you have like 6 computers in your home and you cant afford a BNC that costs less than £1 a month? Dont any of your leet hacker friends have access to a spare BNC to give you? I know I got my BNC for free and it wasnt that hard.

Nothing you say is adding up, it all sounds like aload of BS to me, you claim to not know how to hack or have no desire to hack but you make a topic on trying to trick the NTL network into giving you more bandwidth.

Cant you compress your photos? even NASA's high resolution photos on the net are smaller than yours. Why would you need to upload all these huge files anyway? if you want to keep them why not keep them on your altra secure hackproof computer.

Also I believe perminantly hosting any sort of server, such as a CS 6 vs 6 server is against NTL's T&C, atleast it was last time i checked.

I think your usage is the cause of many peoples posts saying "My pings ingame are crap" or "my download speed is poor" or "I keep getting dossed for no reason at all".

simpsonsFAN
26-12-2004, 22:34
...move to ADSL...
is that a serious comment?,
someone who downloads [Begin BS] 4GB per day [/End BS] will have better performence on cable than ADSL, as far as im aware the ADSL that we use in the uk is not even a international standard yet (eg, a UK adsl modem wont work in US, am i right this is still the case?).

DOCSIS on the other hand is a new internationally recognised standard (International Telecommunication Union J.112), it has been perfected since its introduction in 1995, and was designed specificly for delivering broadband over cable in the US.

ADSL relying on the old rat-eaten, dog-chewed telephone lines laid by the post office over 100 years ago for, mono, half duplex audio... is now a wooping 8bit, lol, it was origionally designed for delivering video on demand to pc's, but was adapted to carry internet data, as there were no good tv shows in the late 80's;) .

ADSL is only capable of 8MB per sec, with heavy packet loss (i havent had intrest in ADSL for awile, so things may have changed since then), but the speed still heavily depends on line performance...

If we were compairing DOCISS to RADSL (the latest DSL service, again im very old and havent caught up with all this new technology yet, so there is bound to be something even newer;) ), then you would have made a valid point, in testing i belive that RADSL was more reliable than ethernet, as it adapts to the line it is on, and works out how many times each packet should be sent, calculates the maximum possible speed (something like 50mb/s per 20kilometers), and delivers unpresedented performance, even on a line with alot of interference/resistance).

However at this present time cable is still the superiour technology, so the comment "move to ADSL" is very vague, something like "ntl is cr*p" i would have understood and felt for, but you wouldent suggest to someone with Austin Martin, to switch to a Skoda would you? - i will level with you, i have ntl, it is rubbish, constant downtine, no support (sorry if you happen to work in swansea faults, but i dont like you:D ), if ntl were to look at cable's implementation in the US, then they would p1ss themselfs.

as for "ADSL - what cap?", i dont belive ntl themselfs have a formal cap, as i have never heard anything of it, the 1GB per day, was in the user policy not there terms and conditions. A policy is a an guideline principle that should be tried to be stuck to, however if broken is not a conditon of use, and as formulated outside the judiciary, no law would have been broken.

So i dont belive ntl have the legal power to disconnect someone on the grounds that they pulled more than ntl recommend, unless ntl have proof/evidence that they are causing disruption of service to another customour, and could probable sue the individual if that customour were to leave, for "loss of income".

theblueraja, I hope you can tell, that i have far to much time on my hands, and i have manedged to write all this from your mere 46 character post, lol.

-Chris

Shaun
27-12-2004, 00:20
<snip>

In my experience ADSL has been a million times better than my Ntl connection, whether it's an international standards really has nothing to do with it.

simpsonsFAN
27-12-2004, 01:01
In my experience ADSL has been a million times better than my Ntl connection, whether it's an international standards really has nothing to do with it.
Really?, would you let someone install a gas boiler in your house if it did not meet proper saftey standards?, something that has been comfirmed to work, and will be continued to be inproved in the future is going to be better, than the POTS (Plain old telephone system) which has no groth beyond 8mb?!.

Cable is the newer superiour way forward for ISP's, which when installed proberly (dont trust ntl to do this), should give better performance than ADSL, why yours did not, dellwear, is not my concern.

-Chris

Russ
27-12-2004, 01:18
Really?, would you let someone install a gas boiler in your house if it did not meet proper saftey standards?,

Not the best analogy I feel, seeing as one is potentially life threatening, compared to a method of providing the internet.

Cable is the newer superiour way forward for ISP's

Why do you believe this to be so?

Stuart
27-12-2004, 01:28
Why do you believe this to be so?

One word: Bandwidth. The bandwidth available on cable is far greater than that available via POTS. Assuming NTL install head-end hardware with enough bandwidth that is..

Shaun
27-12-2004, 01:46
Really?, would you let someone install a gas boiler in your house if it did not meet proper saftey standards?, something that has been comfirmed to work, and will be continued to be inproved in the future is going to be better, than the POTS (Plain old telephone system) which has no groth beyond 8mb?!.

It works, at least for me and that is the issue. Cable doesn't. There is no contest!

Cable is the newer superiour way forward for ISP's, which when installed proberly (dont trust ntl to do this), should give better performance than ADSL, why yours did not, dellwear, is not my concern.

-Chris

That may well be true, however if the cable network in my area operated by Ntl doesn't work in practise what has the theory got to do with it?

And as for there being so much more bandwidth on cable why are they only jut starting to introduce speeds I've been enjoying for nearly 12 months now?

Maybe I should have waited, after all I don't want my BB to kill me do I! :erm: :rolleyes:

Mauldor
27-12-2004, 03:11
Maybe I can sum it all up in a nice little package :)

The Business end (NTL/BT etc) have 'something' in place that works, for a home customer they are not going to dig up roads and lay fibre so people can have 2mbit each way (or faster of course) when the return will not make them a profit. A Business (company with lots of dosh) is prepeared to pay £XXX for a line that is fast enough for there needs, such as Leased Line from BT etc. In that case BT will happily Lay Line that only they have access too thus no bandwidth problems and also comes with it terms of service, by which i mean fixed the second it goes down (in theory anyhow).

Now the customer (me, you and a man named bob) want the following:

A Fast line, the faster the better, 10mbit both way would just about do i think. The price, as we are mere people who dont earn £300 a hour has to be within budgets - so lets say £25-30 a month...

You can see from this its a chicken and egg thing, NTL/BT/Whoever wont go rushing out and laying Fibre to ever home "just in case" they sign up for Boradband, they dont have the money to chuck around "in case" it works.

Lastly then, here is a couple of examples of where it has worked...

1. I speak to Telewest for a FAST internet line for the Library, as the main office is a mere spit throw away, they can happliy supply a 45mbit line for a VERY cheap cost (a cost most home users would pay easy). but of course not everybody is down the road from the main Office.

2. NTl did a trial, some lucky so and so (london) gets a 155mbit line for what, £20 a month (including TV + Phone). This never lasted (as a trial) but they did trial it for some reason...

carlingman
27-12-2004, 03:24
Maybe I can sum it all up in a nice little package :)

The Business end (NTL/BT etc) have 'something' in place that works, for a home customer they are not going to dig up roads and lay fibre so people can have 2mbit each way (or faster of course) when the return will not make them a profit. A Business (company with lots of dosh) is prepeared to pay £XXX for a line that is fast enough for there needs, such as Leased Line from BT etc. In that case BT will happily Lay Line that only they have access too thus no bandwidth problems and also comes with it terms of service, by which i mean fixed the second it goes down (in theory anyhow).

Now the customer (me, you and a man named bob) want the following:

A Fast line, the faster the better, 10mbit both way would just about do i think. The price, as we are mere people who dont earn £300 a hour has to be within budgets - so lets say £25-30 a month...

You can see from this its a chicken and egg thing, NTL/BT/Whoever wont go rushing out and laying Fibre to ever home "just in case" they sign up for Boradband, they dont have the money to chuck around "in case" it works.

Lastly then, here is a couple of examples of where it has worked...

1. I speak to Telewest for a FAST internet line for the Library, as the main office is a mere spit throw away, they can happliy supply a 45mbit line for a VERY cheap cost (a cost most home users would pay easy). but of course not everybody is down the road from the main Office.

2. NTl did a trial, some lucky so and so (london) gets a 155mbit line for what, £20 a month (including TV + Phone). This never lasted (as a trial) but they did trial it for some reason...

:D

Spot on as not so many moons ago NTL did do such a thing whereby they offered a fibre optic link into a large appartment complex in London offering a 10Mbps connection for 49.99 a month for 12 months and then refunded so a free service for the big wigs.

They also had their own dedicated support line to by pass the call queues.

Policy was with these guys as well were faults were escalated immediately and these people were gods and would only be spoken too by seniors not the loley techs on the floor.

Never did here what happened to the original 12 month trial as was long gone by then myself.

Just goes to show they do look after some of their prospective customers.

Stuart
27-12-2004, 03:30
They also had their own dedicated support line to by pass the call queues.

Policy was with these guys as well were faults were escalated immediately and these people were gods and would only be spoken too by seniors not the loley techs on the floor.

Actually, I would have thought that was standard practice with any trial. The people on the trial would need direct (or fairly direct) access to the team running the trial.

Apart from anything else, it wouldn't look too good if they got through the the first line support techs (who may not know about the trial) who then said "10 Meg? Sorry, we don't do a 10 Meg service.".

I suspect those on the BMR software beta probably get similar treatment for the same reason.

carlingman
27-12-2004, 03:38
Actually, I would have thought that was standard practice with any trial. The people on the trial would need direct (or fairly direct) access to the team running the trial.

Apart from anything else, it wouldn't look too good if they got through the the first line support techs who then said "10 Meg? Sorry, we don't do a 10 Meg service.".

Hmm in an ideal world yes.

But the calls were routed directly firstly to their own dedicated support in Brighton between 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and if they could not solve the problem they were passed through a dedicated overrule in the call system with a pop up/handshake saying Brighton call etc.

At this time all the techs on the floor were aware of the package/deal but the calls would route through senior extensions firstly and then at that time to any cable modem techs signed in and again greated with the message "dolphin transfer".

Hence it bypassed all the other techs even though they new about the trial as at that time they was no trials team as such.

Mauldor
27-12-2004, 06:25
The point ref the trail btw was that the test centre I beleive was not that far from where these flats were, so not uber hard to impplement (or costly I imagine). What I was always puzzled at though, what was the aim of this trial? Sure wiring from NTL building to something close is not hard or too costly but on the grander scale of things - it would cost a bit if a arm and a leg.

I spoke to the guy who had it on IRC (#nthellworld) way back then and he said it was def 155mbit. not that it matters if it was 10mbit or 155mbit - they are both fast....

I remember when he got told he was going back to normal cable, he was a tad bit annoyed to say the least :)

Skippy81
04-01-2005, 12:35
Hi all, my first post for all its worth:-

I think your usage is the cause of many peoples posts saying "My pings ingame are crap" or "my download speed is poor" or "I keep getting dossed for no reason at all". I totally agree. While on the surface being part of the "HaX0r underground" may seem like a bit of fun, by constantly releasing your DHCP, you are simply making others the target of a bunch of idiotic script kiddies. I changed my router once, and as I forgot to clone my old MAC, ended up with a "hot" IP being constantly SYNed by a bunch of 12 year old "1337 Hackers". Lets face it, if you want to further your knowledge of hacking/cracking you'd be better off learning from the many helpful peeps on the internet who are more than happy to share their knowledge of TCP/IP and programming. Most of these IRC channels are run by morons for morons, who can't understand that downloading and using pre-written exploits against others demonstrates no skill or inteligence whatsoever. I feel sorry for all those whose proxy servers are being abused for the purposes of kiddie chat on IRC.

Also, fiddling with your cable modem's MAC address is not only against the TOS agreement with NTL, but is also illegal in cases where you "accidently" cloned someone else's cable MAC. It is no different to stealing electricity, a phone line or gas.

As for running servers, etc on an NTL connection, I think that the rule of thumb is to have respect for other paying customers in your area. Theres no harm in running a small HTTP server or anything similar, providing that you are aware of how much upload bandwidth you are using. As for downloads, 4GB a day is absurd. I download a lot of stuff, but only stuff that I need or use, if you are downloading that much stuff I expect that you delete half of it without even using it.

Stuart
04-01-2005, 13:25
Hi all, my first post for all its worth:-

I totally agree. While on the surface being part of the "HaX0r underground" may seem like a bit of fun, by constantly releasing your DHCP, you are simply making others the target of a bunch of idiotic script kiddies. <snip>.

Welcome to the forum, and well said. I actually agree with all of it, deleted the rest in the quote above to keep my post brief.

I will add to your reputation accordingly..