PDA

View Full Version : London Xmas/ New Year travel

Paul K
15-12-2004, 16:37
Anyone planning on visiting London between the 25th December and January 3rd will be glad to hear that the Congestion charge is suspended for the festivities :tu:
Even better is the decision from TFL that they will again be providing free transportation via tube, DLR, tram and bus across many of their routes between 2345 New Years Eve and 0430 New Years Day :) So anyone looking to see in 2005 in central London will at least be able to get home without it costing an absolute fortune.
TFL Linky (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-releases/2004/december/press-pn1287.shtml)

14 December 2004
Santas dash from sleigh to bus, Cinderellas travel free

Londonââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s last minute Santas can dash through the Capital this year and will have a little extra for presents as TfL suspends the Congestion Charge from 25 December †“ 3 January 2005, historically the period of lowest congestion each year.

Better still, 24 hour Tube, DLR, Tram and bus services will delight party-goers this New Yearâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s Eve with travel free from 2345 to 0430, sponsored by Fosters, whilst carollers will have a chorus of buses to choose from with the largest ever fleet in operation this New Yearâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s Eve.
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day †“ Tube and Buses:

* Christmas Eve †“ on the Tube a special Saturday service will operate with services closing as per a normal Sunday; buses will operate as per a normal Saturday;
* Christmas Day †“ no service on the Tube; Tram or DLR, two special bus services will run in Central London (Route T1 and Route T7);
* Boxing Day †“ reduced Tube service, starting from 0830am;
* 27, 28, 29 and 30 December †“ a Saturday service will operate on most Tube lines; buses will run a Sunday service on the 27th and 28th and a Saturday service on the 29th and 30th.

Have a good, safe and cheap Christmas and New Year everyone :D

andygrif
15-12-2004, 16:41
That's good news about the Congestion Charge...I hope my complaint to Red Ken played a part in that. I had to pay the charge on a day when the public transport was operating a Sunday service.

I think I heard yesterday, however, that London Underground might be going on strike on Christmas Eve. Not sure if this is going to happen, however.

Paul K
15-12-2004, 16:49
That's good news about the Congestion Charge...I hope my complaint to Red Ken played a part in that. I had to pay the charge on a day when the public transport was operating a Sunday service.

I think I heard yesterday, however, that London Underground might be going on strike on Christmas Eve. Not sure if this is going to happen, however.
Think that it's two certain lines, IIRC it was Picadilly and one other, I'll check the tfl site and make sure though :)
edit:
Looks like the second line is the Jubilee line:(
Ok, just got this from the bbc site

Tube drivers on two London Underground lines are to strike on Christmas Eve and 5 January in a row over the demotion of a driver.

Workers on the Piccadilly and District lines will walk out leading to travel chaos over Christmas and in the New Year.

Mr_love_monkey
15-12-2004, 17:11
Tube drivers on two London Underground lines are to strike on Christmas Eve and 5 January in a row over the demotion of a driver..

At the risk of hijacking the thread, this is ridiculous - the driver was demoted for driving through a red signal... admittedly the hearing took place without a union representative - but even so... it was a red signal... and only 77 drivers members voted for the strike...

MetaWraith
15-12-2004, 17:37
Anyone planning on visiting London between the 25th December and January 3rd will be glad to hear that the Congestion charge is suspended for the festivities :tu:
Let the festivities commence :)
Any one up for an Xmas meet ?

Chimaera
15-12-2004, 17:39
Let the festivities commence :)
Any one up for an Xmas meet ?
Aw - go on then!
:drunk: