PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 1.4ghz running temperature?

Caspar
25-08-2003, 16:04
Does anyone know what the normal running speed of an Athlon 1.4ghz CPU is?

My PC has been frezzing, not a total freeze which is indicative with over heating but a freeze that lasts a few minutes every couple of mins...

I just happened to be in my BIOS and just happened to notice my CPU speed was an alarming 64oC...and my system temp was at 37oC.

I thought that looked high, cause I would have been alarmed when building the thing (a few years ago) leaving it running at that temp.

Anyway, I took the side of it and pointed my deskfan into the open [dusty :(] case and within a few mins the CPU temperature is now 42oC and system temp at 29oC.

Does anyone have the Web resource to what these CPUs are supposed to run at?

p.s. my CPU fan is knocking up 7500 rpm, btw

Lord Nikon
25-08-2003, 16:12
I build Athlon systems, they tend to run at 30-44C under load.

remove the CPU fan from the heatsink, get an old paintbrush and brush the vanes of the heatsink clean again, use a vacuum cleaner on it at the same time, it improves the airflow, you could also get some thermal transfer compound and renew the stuff under the heatsink as well... all this will improve cooling :D

Caspar
25-08-2003, 16:17
Please dont scare me LN :)

I'm an expereinced PC builder and have built all but my first PCs, about 20 PC in my PC building career, mostly for friends and family!

...but building this Athlon system was a nightmare...and that was due to the CPU and the fan seating...I used some artic silver paste on it and all but it was a scare-filled time! ( actually cracked one core during this process :cry: )

Anyway, I'm very hesitant to remove the heatsink to do a summer clean out.....may have to though!

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 16:40
My fiancee's 1400 was running at 55C so I swapped her heatsink for a Zalman Flower and it's dropped the temp by about 10C

I'm hoping to get something similar when I fix one to my 1800XP which also idles at 55C (tho it has a silent fan)

Ramrod
25-08-2003, 17:00
I've had 1, 1.7 and 2.4 ghz athlons. All of them running on Zalman flower coolers. They all have run at 49-64 degs depending on load and ambient temp. At the moment my 2.4 athlon is at 52 degs.
Hope this helps:)

Visibleman
25-08-2003, 17:04
there was something about this back on .com and from memory anything up to 70c is ok and the max temp is 90c, at which point the core starts to set it self on fire lol.
But 64c is abit too high, but its similar to what my 1.4gig amd runs at (50c - 61c without CpuIdle). Thats a thought, go get ya self a copy of CpuIdle, that keep ya system a tad cooler.
Also, i would get all that dust out and brush the fan of the heatsink as well as the heatsink :) If you dont want to take the heatsink of your cpu then i would go get some Canned Air (from pcworld or sumthing, should be about £10 a can) and blow that across the heatsink to get the dust out (Warning though: dont hold it in one place for more than a few seconds, it will start to freeze stuff :D).

However, you system temp seems to be about right :) mines at 35c most of the time...only creeps up to 37 during hot weather again.

hope this helps mate :)
Dom

p.s - if your going to get a new fan/heatsink have a look on www.overclockers.co.uk and check out the forum for reviews and what not.

Ramrod
25-08-2003, 17:16
Originally posted by Visibleman
there was something about this back on .com and from memory anything up to 70c is ok and the max temp is 90c, at which point the core starts to set it self on fire lol.
But 64c is abit too high, but its similar to what my 1.4gig amd runs at (50c - 61c without CpuIdle). Thats a thought, go get ya self a copy of CpuIdle, that keep ya system a tad cooler.
Also, i would get all that dust out and brush the fan of the heatsink as well as the heatsink :) If you dont want to take the heatsink of your cpu then i would go get some Canned Air (from pcworld or sumthing, should be about £10 a can) and blow that across the heatsink to get the dust out (Warning though: dont hold it in one place for more than a few seconds, it will start to freeze stuff :D).

However, you system temp seems to be about right :) mines at 35c most of the time...only creeps up to 37 during hot weather again.

hope this helps mate :)
Dom

p.s - if your going to get a new fan/heatsink have a look on www.overclockers.co.uk and check out the forum for reviews and what not. It only got to 64 when it was 36 degs outside (and we have an Aga indoors:cry: )