PDA

View Full Version : Secure Digital (SD) cards?

Caspar
25-08-2003, 15:38
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Secure Digital media card for my new camera.

Does anyone know which are the better manufacturers of these ickle things?

I'm currently looking at ByteStor MLC 256MB SD Card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A42VV/202-8788567-0018240), but the Viking one is the same price...

Can anyone steer me here? :)

ic14
26-08-2003, 10:18
Ive heard that panasonic are the best manufector, (i think they were the ones who made the standard)

Nemesis
26-08-2003, 10:24
Th branded ones are expensive, try dabs.com. They often have a dabsvalue section for things like this. I have bought several items from here, no problems at all.

Another question though .....

What's the difference between SD and MMC cards ???

Bifta
26-08-2003, 10:26
Go for either Kingston or Viking, MMC cards do not have locks on them to protect the data like SD cards do, some MMC cards will work on devices that use SD, but then .. some won't it's a bit pot luck.

Lord Nikon
26-08-2003, 10:34
IDGARA who makes them as long as they work :D

its like with branded CDs, some people swear by memorex, sony etc

I buy bulk unbranded (Usually Datasafe or Infiniti) CDs and have had no coasters from them, or problems reading them on drives

Its also like Emma Noble... most of us men would be happy to keep her happy 3 times a night, whereas Majoy hasn't touched her in over 7 months.... (Mad Git)

Its all down to personal taste...

Caspar
26-08-2003, 13:00
ok I've changed my order from a ByteStor to a Viking ;)

I also bought Viking's 6in1 media card reader, sounds useful!

Thanks all :D

p.s. LN - I'm amazed that a discussion about Media Card format's can be compared to Emma Noble's love life! - but you did it, 10 points! :D

Lord Nikon
26-08-2003, 13:33
I do my best :D

Theodoric
26-08-2003, 20:53
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
IDGARA who makes them as long as they work :D

its like with branded CDs, some people swear by memorex, sony etc

I buy bulk unbranded (Usually Datasafe or Infiniti) CDs and have had no coasters from them, or problems reading them on drives

Its also like Emma Noble... most of us men would be happy to keep her happy 3 times a night, whereas Majoy hasn't touched her in over 7 months.... (Mad Git)

Its all down to personal taste...
IDGARA? If the last letter was F, I'd go for "I don't give a running . . ." :)

But, to business. Wossa about a link to a source of recommended unbranded products?

Tricky
26-08-2003, 21:04
Don't know if it's still on but boots were selling these half price. I got 128mb for just over £40

Theodoric
26-08-2003, 21:15
Originally posted by Tricky
Don't know if it's still on but boots were selling these half price. I got 128mb for just over £40
I starting to feel a little confused as well as more than a little envious here. £40 for 128MB. I paid £52 at Jessops a couple a months ago for this size SD card. And the original thread gives a link that quotes £60 for a 256MB card! Can someone explain the ins and outs of all of this?

Caspar
26-08-2003, 21:29
yeah I paid £59.99 for a 256mb SD card

Amazon are selling 128mb for £37.99. ..

Sipowicz
26-08-2003, 21:59
Try:

www.7dayshop.com or www.mx2.com or www.photoglossy.com

All reasonable, quick, efficient and usually a lot cheaper than the high street! Check out their prices for rechargeable batteries (NiCads, Li-Ion, NiMH)

enjoy.........

Theodoric
26-08-2003, 22:08
Originally posted by Sipowicz
Try:

www.7dayshop.com or www.mx2.com or www.photoglossy.com

All reasonable, quick, efficient and usually a lot cheaper than the high street! Check out their prices for rechargeable batteries (NiCads, Li-Ion, NiMH)

enjoy.........
I'd have enjoyed the 'enjoy' bit a little more if I'd known all this a few months ago!

Another question, if I may. Has anyone any idea how many times you can insert and remove a card before the contacts (on it, and more importantly, on the the camera) become damaged?

Caspar
26-08-2003, 22:34
Originally posted by Theodoric
I'd have enjoyed the 'enjoy' bit a little more if I'd known all this a few months ago!

Another question, if I may. Has anyone any idea how many times you can insert and remove a card before the contacts (on it, and more importantly, on the the camera) become damaged?

I bought my first digital camera three years ago, just over...with Smart Media, it came with a 2mb card...so I bought a 32mb Smart Card aswell (FYI - the 32mb Smart Media card 3 years ago cost £65!)

I still use that same 2mb and 32mb cards today and they work a treat ;)

Sipowicz
26-08-2003, 22:54
Originally posted by Theodoric

Advice given to me (through the Photographic Branch of the RAF) was to leave the card in the camera and use the leads to download, this particularly applies to CF (Compact Flash) cards as they have "pins" - most "Pro spec Digi SLR's" will use CF cards as they have the greater capacity on them (4Gb just being released in the States @ $499 a pop!)

CF cards are also the most economical (£ per Mb) to buy!

I think the others have just "contacts" on them (SM - Smart Media has them at least)

altis
26-08-2003, 23:24
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/flashmem.htm

Chris
26-08-2003, 23:34
Originally posted by Caspar
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Secure Digital media card for my new camera.

Does anyone know which are the better manufacturers of these ickle things?

I'm currently looking at ByteStor MLC 256MB SD Card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A42VV/202-8788567-0018240), but the Viking one is the same price...

Can anyone steer me here? :)

I bought a Bytestor 256mb SD card from amazon.co.uk and have no complaints ... at the time they were also the cheapest, although www.digital-cameras.com is also worth a look. SD has no moving parts (apart from the write-protect tab) so if you leave it in the camera and download your piccies via the USB cable, I don't see what can go wrong with it, even if it's an unknown brand.

I chose my camera for the SD card format as SD/MMC cards also fit in the expansion slot on my Palm m515, so I can preview my pics on a slightly larger screen and use the 64mb card that came with the camera with Documents to Go - very useful for using Word, PowerPoint and Excel files with the Palm.

Caspar
27-08-2003, 15:53
Originally posted by towny
I chose my camera for the SD card format as SD/MMC cards also fit in the expansion slot on my Palm m515, so I can preview my pics on a slightly larger screen and use the 64mb card that came with the camera with Documents to Go - very useful for using Word, PowerPoint and Excel files with the Palm.

indeed, I'm planning to do that with my new ipaq 5550 and Canon MV650i digital camcorder with the new Viking 256mb SD card :)

Memory Mad
19-10-2005, 16:41
I recommend Lexar SD cards or Sandisk Cards....the Sandisk mem card range is probably the best in the market coz of their transfer speeds. I bought mine from Memory King and i thought these guys were good on price compared to high street retailers and most online retailers....plus i got free delivery.

Link removed: Nothing like spamming a site you created eh ? Don't do it again please.

Dave Stones
19-10-2005, 16:49
i get mine from www.valuemedia.co.uk (http://www.valuemedia.co.uk) but you could also try www.picstop.co.uk (http://www.picstop.co.uk) . mine happen to be dane-elec ones :)

[edit] whoa, i just posted in the oldest thread ever...