PDA

View Full Version : No DSL in Guildford (for a while!)

Neil
14-12-2004, 12:13
A "sudden surge" in demand for DSL broadband in Guildford has left BT on the hop and net users twiddling their thumbs waiting for high-speed net access. BT Wholesale, which provides DSL that is resold by ISPs such as AOL UK, Tiscali and Wanadoo UK, has confirmed that all capacity at its Guildford telephone exchange has been used up.

New DSL broadband customers in the affluent Surrey town must wait until BT installs extra capacity in its exchange. The UK giant telco says this should come on stream by the end of this week. :D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/14/guildford_bt_broadband/

DeadKenny
15-12-2004, 01:39
ADSLGuide has this footnote...

"Predicting demand for an exchange is very difficult, and given the town has NTL cable services one would have expected the ADSL demand to not be exceptional."

Hmm... now I wonder why a town full of NTL customers would want to get ADSL? ;)

I just hope they don't nick capacity from nearby Woking as the exchange I'm on is fantastic at the moment :D

themelon
15-12-2004, 11:46
Or maybe BT have failed to accurately predict demand for the service, and have failed to install the correct level of equipment to save money.

I wonder how many BT exchanges are similar.

Neil
15-12-2004, 11:59
Or maybe BT have failed to accurately predict demand for the service, and have failed to install the correct level of equipment to save money.

I wonder how many BT exchanges are similar.

Still doesn't change the fact that a town (supposedly) dominated by ntl, can't get enough ADSL.

SMHarman
15-12-2004, 12:10
Still doesn't change the fact that a town (supposedly) dominated by ntl, can't get enough ADSL.
Does NTL do enough advertising to tell people there is an alternative to ADSL BB. A simple glance around the tube / newspapers shows me that I can get BB from Bulldog, BT, Wanadoo. Listening to the radio I hear adverts for TW Package deals, but NTL :shrug: don't hear or see a peep from them.

Derek
15-12-2004, 12:13
Possibly people wanting this in time for Xmas have caused the rush as the Ntl install couldn't be completed in time?

Neil
15-12-2004, 12:34
Does NTL do enough advertising to tell people there is an alternative to ADSL BB. A simple glance around the tube / newspapers shows me that I can get BB from Bulldog, BT, Wanadoo. Listening to the radio I hear adverts for TW Package deals, but NTL :shrug: don't hear or see a peep from them.

Agreed, but there's clearly a reason that people are going for ADSL.

DeadKenny
15-12-2004, 22:08
In the Woking/Guildford area, it's hard to get away from Cable. Everyone has it. If you get a new house it will be cabled. Most your neighbours will have it.

They do advertise a lot. There are leaflets shoved through the door every other week, and in the newspaper. They advertise a fair bit on local radio and there are adverts on TV.

And yet still people pick ADSL or leave NTL to go for ADSL... hmm ;)