PDA

View Full Version : Marriage pact?

Russ
11-12-2004, 20:06
Does anyone know what the proper term is to describe that pact where two people decide that if they're both single by the time they're 40 (or whatever) they'll marry each other?

jellybaby
11-12-2004, 20:08
Lonely :p: ;) :disturbd:

bopdude
11-12-2004, 20:08
Does anyone know what the proper term is to describe that pact where two people decide that if they're both single by the time they're 40 (or whatever) they'll marry each other?
Lunacy :shrug: :rolleyes:

Russ
11-12-2004, 20:12
lol I know there's a specific expression for it, I just can't think what...

paulyoung666
11-12-2004, 20:37
betrothal ???????????? :erm:

Escapee
11-12-2004, 20:45
lucky :Yikes:

I'm fast approaching 39, and I have said i'm not going to get married until after I'm 40.....

Well, to be honest, I have always said I'm going to get married when I can't manage to chase and catch the women anymore.

Raistlin
11-12-2004, 21:10
I think it's normaly referred to as a "Fall-back Plan" or something like that.

I've got one with a girl that I work with.

We decided on the age of no return being 30, then we argued about who's 30th birthday, eventually we settled on mine (which suits me 'cause I'm older than she is).

:D

Maggy
11-12-2004, 21:13

Desperation?

Contract?Vow?Promise?

Personally I never heard of such a pact having it's own particular expression.Shouldn't think it has any validity in law either. :)

punky
11-12-2004, 21:14
I think it's normaly referred to as a "Fall-back Plan" or something like that.

I've got one with a girl that I work with.

We decided on the age of no return being 30, then we argued about who's 30th birthday, eventually we settled on mine (which suits me 'cause I'm older than she is).

:D

Sweet! She got a sister? :D

Theodoric
11-12-2004, 21:14
A bit of co-incidence here. A bit of googling gave this. (http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/11/18/marriage_pacts/index_np.html) The article is in Salon.com, the name of which which rang a bell with me. The editor of Salon.com is David Talbot and, guess what, David Talbot writes occasional articles for the Guardian.

PS And, no, I still haven't the faintest idea what the answer is to Russ' question. :)

Raistlin
11-12-2004, 21:15
Sweet! She got a sister? :D
I think she has but I'm not sure. If she has she's bound to be married / engaged already.

I think I might need to investigate this further, you can never have too many Plan Bs!! :naughty:

kronas
11-12-2004, 22:43
pre nuptial agreement :rofl:

Seti
12-12-2004, 13:41
Awwwww Russ are you offering :)

Only joking !!

*SeTi^ runs from forum

aliferste
12-12-2004, 14:47
I do not think there is a formal word for it. It is not as if anyone would be daft enough to actually do it anyway. Hardly a good base for a marriage really.

Paul
12-12-2004, 15:10
Does anyone know what the proper term is to describe that pact where two people decide that if they're both single by the time they're 40 (or whatever) they'll marry each other?Desperation ?

Russ
12-12-2004, 16:19
Well she IS an absolute babe and I HAVE fancied her for 10 years.... ;) :D

aliferste
12-12-2004, 21:26

This might sound like a wild idea but why dont you ask her out on a date :)

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 23:12
Russ, has she agreed to this "pact"?

If she has you could be on very good ground here matey.....

Ask her out for a drink, tell her (in as serious and as somber a face as you can manage) that you would like to get some practice in now for when you're 40 and getting married to each other, now smile like you were joking about the practice thing but are still serious about the drink (you will want to practice this smile in front of a mirror, it's a good one to cultivate), you'll be off on the right foot 'cause humour is always the way to go.

Remind her that it's not unreasonable to expect that when you're married you're going to want to spend some time together, so why not get used to doing it now (that smile again).

Take her somewhere nice, where the drinks are ok and you can actually chat. Don't act desperate but make sure she at least gets the impression that you might be interested.

Now just keep the momentum going.....

Oh, and one last piece of advice, don't take relationship advice from a guy that just split up with his g/f :D

Russ
12-12-2004, 23:45
...hey I was only joking!! :D