PDA

View Full Version : Missing Words

testcard
24-08-2003, 21:04
There are thousands of words to describe objects, situations and feelings that everybody understands.

However there a millions of situations that do not have a specific word. For example 'you go upstairs to get something and you've forgotten what by the time your there'.

We need a single word that describes that all will eventually use.

It's our mission to create this word and put it to in common usage by August 2005.

This is possible.

Seb
24-08-2003, 21:07
Quality idea... currently having a play on words, so might get back to you with a suggestion later :)

Seb

Rara Avis
24-08-2003, 21:13
A mate of mine always calls it a 'Spanner moment' but that refers to any kind of dill-brained action or verbalism :D
Will get back to you with a more serious thought later. If I have one. Struggle I might, but I WILL succeed!

danielf
24-08-2003, 23:05
Errm, unless I misunderstood what you're after, there's 'unword'.

www.unwords.com (currently down,again...) is dedicated to words that don't exist but should.

It features words like 'pupkuss', which is the moist residue a puppie leaves on the window after pressing its nose against it; telecrastination:the act of letting the telephone ring several times before answering despite sitting right next to it, and several others.

There's one for sticking your big toe in the bath faucet, as well as one for wriggling about in the bath to mix the extremely cold water you're lying in with the scaldingly hot water that just left the tap. And there's many more. I suggest you pay a visit (when it's up again).