PDA

View Full Version : Social Worker

Escapee
10-12-2004, 15:45
I have been chatting to a social worker!

No not in a professional capacity, I was just getting some info from this person I know concerning the proposed sheltered ahousing development near my home.

After a fairly constructive discussion she said "so I guess you see me as a do-gooder then" I actually disagreed with this, and told her how suprised I was at her views when she didn't have her "work" hat on.
She said as far as she's concerned there is a difference between "Do-Gooders" and people who "Do-Good". I must admit I agree with her entirely.

She said that she works with a lot of Do-Gooders who give people chance after chance after chance. She said if I go out of my was and beyond my duty to help someone because I feel they are being severely disadvantaged, and then they throw it all back in my face, thats the last. She said from that point on she will only do the bare minimum that she requires.

I can relate to my current girlfriend who I consider to be too much of a "Do-Gooder" her and her housemate took pity on another foreign worker, who had found herself homeless. This person had taken a housemates cheque book and written herself one for six hundred pounds, she was caught for this offence and many others came to light when it was investigated. My "Do-Gooder" girlfriend and her housemate took pity on her and let her move in with them because they didn't want to see her deported.
They gave her cash to pay the rent on one occassion, as she used a story about needing to get her hands on some cash that evening and she would write a cheque out for the full amount. The cheque bounced and the other two ended up paying the rent for a second time that month, she has borrowed money off them and there's no chance of getting it back. The latest is the council tax and the water rates, apparently these are in arrears by twelve months!

My girlfriend says she wishes she could be more like me, because I wouldn't of let someone in my house who had stolen money to start with. My girlfriends attitude is "Oh I will have to work overtime to pay the bills"

I think she's a bl**dy fool, and have told her she will continue to go through life being ripped off unless she toughens her attitude upto these sort of people. :mad:

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 15:47
personally i think she needs her eyes opening , but that is only my own opinion ;) :)

Escapee
10-12-2004, 15:53
personally i think she needs her eyes opening , but that is only my own opinion ;) :)

The big problem is she just doesn't have a nasty bone in her body!

It seems like her family take advantage because she is earning a good wage, she asked what I would do if my housemate robbed me, and I told her I would take them down the garden and give them a good beating!

She said "I wish I was more like you"

She has been ripped off over a few issues before, and she never seems to toughen up. She just shrugs her shoulders and say "people are like that, I always get taken advantage of"

It annoys me and makes me very sad, I actually feel very sorry for her but on the other hand feel like I shouldn't try to be over protective. At 35 though she is never going to change, and I feel it's only a matter of time before someone takes advantage of her and ends up costing her a lot of money.

paulyoung666
10-12-2004, 15:55
i cant see an easy answer to this one i am afraid :(

Ramrod
10-12-2004, 16:13
It annoys me and makes me very sad, I actually feel very sorry for her but on the other hand feel like I shouldn't try to be over protective. At 35 though she is never going to change, and I feel it's only a matter of time before someone takes advantage of her and ends up costing her a lot of money.So look after her a bit more 'closely'.........

KingPhoenix
10-12-2004, 16:39
The latest is the council tax and the water rates, apparently these are in arrears by twelve months!
So your girlfriend hasnt been paying these either??? council tax comes in as 1 bill......... not per occupant........ :confused:

Escapee
10-12-2004, 19:15
So your girlfriend hasnt been paying these either??? council tax comes in as 1 bill......... not per occupant........ :confused:

The three of them have been sharing all the bills and the rent, unfortunately there has been a situation where each takes responsibilty for certain bills.

It's a shared house so theres one bill for each service, ie: Electric, Council Tax, Water rates, Gas, Telephone BT, Telephone/TV/Broadband ntl, Contents Insurance, TV Licence, General food items and consumables.
It just so happens that the dodgy one was responsible for Council Tax and Water Bills. The rent was split individually and the two paid the landlord by cheque with the dodgy one paying by cash, as the landlord wouldn't accept cash after she had presented a bouncing one for all three shares of the rent.

There were letters the previous year about the council tax, and the dodgy one said they had to pay more money as it had gone up in price by an extortionate amount. I think personally this was really to cover the arrears for the previous year!

I took her to buy a safe for her bedroom and fixed it securely into the bottom of the wardrobe, and also fitted a lock onto her bedroom door. :disturbd:

I would kick her out into the street, as I wouldn't have someone living in the same house as me like that. Anyone can argue and say you cant do that, but it's too late after the event.

PS: It's gone un-noticed because the affected bills were arriving in the dodgy womans name.