PDA

View Full Version : Jim'll Fix It

Theodoric
24-08-2003, 20:15
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that unless you are ultra-cautious and only use Word, Excel and MS Patience, you are bound to get problems on your PC from time to time. So far I have managed to dig myself out of all the holes by such things as scouring the Internet, contacting the relevant company's helpline, scanning the forums, speaking to friends, reformatting the hard drive (only once, thank goodness!) or sending the damn thing back if it's still under guarantee.

However, I'm sure that one day my luck will run out. So, I scan the Yellow Pages for local computer help. Am I likely to find anyone who is really skilful and if so what are their typical charges likely to be? Further, if they can't solve the problem, do they still charge?

EDIT By the last sentence I mean that they are unable to find out the cause of the problem. Obviously, if they find the source of the problem but it's incurable, then tough luck!

Bifta
24-08-2003, 20:58
You'll be very lucky to find anyone even remotely experienced in the Yellow Pages in that field, the trouble with PC maintenance is that most people just assume they can start up a business repairing other people's pride and joy just because they once managed to jemmy the case off their own, it's a lot handier to just "know someone", but then .. isn't that always the case?

bonzoe
25-08-2003, 14:28
Look for people who have at least CompTIA A+ in Core Hardware & OS Technologies Certification, they have demonstrated their competance to fix faults on PCs.

Or, go by personal recommendation.

idi banashapan
25-08-2003, 14:33
I did the A+ course (hardware and software) and to be honest, I really didn't learn all that much. It doesn't take a genius to do it. That is the only IT qualification I have done. Might I add that I know quite a few people in the IT industry, some have their own businesses, and they never did any IT courses. It's one of those subjects that really does have a LOT to do with experience.

A+ looks good on paper, but it doesn't mean the bloke who's been in the Industry for 10 years and taught himself can't do a better job.

Lord Nikon
25-08-2003, 14:54
Which leads to me....

Qualifications in computers - BTec national diploma in computer technology
10 years experience +
I charge £15 / hour or part thereof, with the policy that if I can't fix it, I don't charge. As yet I have not found a computer I couldn't fix. Some that were cheaper to replace than repair, yes, but in those cases I give the customer the option, and a full written report on the faults found on the old machine.

bonzoe
25-08-2003, 20:36
Originally posted by Bender
I did the A+ course (hardware and software) and to be honest, I really didn't learn all that much. It doesn't take a genius to do it. That is the only IT qualification I have done. Might I add that I know quite a few people in the IT industry, some have their own businesses, and they never did any IT courses. It's one of those subjects that really does have a LOT to do with experience.

A+ looks good on paper, but it doesn't mean the bloke who's been in the Industry for 10 years and taught himself can't do a better job.

It doesn't but it is a starting point, I did say at least.

As I said, you can go by personal recommendation, usually the best option, without one or the other you have no idea what you are letting yourself in for.

Many of us have been around for a long time (b4 PCs even) with no qualifications, just got a lot of experience, which counts for nothing when job hunting, believe me!

idi banashapan
25-08-2003, 21:22
Originally posted by bonzoe
It doesn't but it is a starting point, I did say at least.

As I said, you can go by personal recommendation, usually the best option, without one or the other you have no idea what you are letting yourself in for.

Many of us have been around for a long time (b4 PCs even) with no qualifications, just got a lot of experience, which counts for nothing when job hunting, believe me!

Very true - point taken. There are a lot of cowboys out there, as with any industry.

iadom
26-08-2003, 19:37
I would use Yellow Pages to find a restaurant etc, but would never, ever use them to find a tradesman/women. In my particular trade over 75% of the advertisers in the local Yellow Pages are dodgy or downright criminal often using manufacturers logos to imply proficiency. If you watch any of the Rogue traders/ Builders from hell type programmes on TV you will see that most of them are in the Yellow Pages. The Thompson Local is just as bad. Good old fashioned word of mouth is the best method.

MadGamer
30-08-2003, 20:01
Go to somewhere like PC World to get a quote on how much they charge to repair your PC. if they say its around £250 then don't bother. However if you wanted to buy a new PC then this is going to cost around £900, (Plus Extras) so this will then cost around £1,500. still you are better off

philip.j.fry
30-08-2003, 20:48
Originally posted by WNA
However if you wanted to buy a new PC then this is going to cost around £900, (Plus Extras) so this will then cost around £1,500. still you are better off

Highly excessive estimate, around £500 for a decent one, and if you've still got the old one a lot of the extras from that can be re-used.

HornetUK
31-08-2003, 12:24
What do PC world charge to look at a PC and diagnos?

Lord Nikon
31-08-2003, 13:24
about £40

th'engineer
31-08-2003, 13:32
just a thought on this find that people who repair them are either hardware or software orientated no many seem to be experts in both.

aliferste
31-08-2003, 13:35
HMMm....sounds as if you are doing alright if you ask me :)

Formatting the old hard drive fixes all software problems :) when it comes to hardware if something does start to happen that your not sure of just post in here and im sure you can be given good advice. Opening up your pc isnt very hard and replacing most things s very simple.