PDA

View Full Version : Connecting via Cable Modem and Router

davebaby
24-08-2003, 19:58
Having trouble connecting my Xbox via cable modem and router connection. I have already connected up my PC and PS2 via the router.

The problem seems to be is that the automatic configuration picks up all the right things it needs, cables connected, IP settings configured, dns resolved. Then it says XBOX Live not found.

It then tells me to reset the modem and other equipment and try again. This I have done but to no avail.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

A Frustrated Xbox User
:confused:

Reddevil63
24-08-2003, 21:15
Is your modem connected by USB or Ethernet?

Why am asking is because USB is apparently tricky to get working.

Our resident connection guru's Tez or Cas maybe able to help you.

Caspar
24-08-2003, 21:47
I'm sure I've read this question somewhere else ;)

Hi davebaby :welcome: to the forum :D

All you'll likely to need is a cross-over cable running from your XBOX to the router; you can buy one of these at your local PC World, etc... ;)

Which router do you have?

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 22:44
Originally posted by Caspar
I'm sure I've read this question somewhere else ;)

Hi davebaby :welcome: to the forum :D

All you'll likely to need is a cross-over cable running from your XBOX to the router; you can buy one of these at your local PC World, etc... ;)

Which router do you have?

Patch cable, not crossover cable ;) :)

As Cas said - What router do you have? Not all routers are XBL compatible.

davebaby
24-08-2003, 23:32
I have a Linksys Cable/DSL router with 4 port switch, model number BEFSR41. This was recommended to me.

I connect via USB. Is it worth getting an ethernet card and changing the connection to my PC via this?

Also what is a patch cable and how does it work?

slysy
24-08-2003, 23:35
Originally posted by davebaby
I have a Linksys Cable/DSL router with 4 port switch, model number BEFSR41. This was recommended to me.

I connect via USB. Is it worth getting an ethernet card and changing the connection to my PC via this?

What exactly is connected via USB, the cable modem? Isnt it supposed to plug into the router directly via ethernet?

Tezcatlipoca
24-08-2003, 23:38

Erm, how do you connect via USB if you use a BEFSR41 router? :confused:

Do you use a USB>Ethernet adaptor to connect the PC to the router?

An ethernet card for the PC would be better - ethernet is much better than USB for networking.

The Linksys BEFSR41 is a very good router, & should work fine with XBox Live....but you do need the latest firmware.

Do you know what version firmware you have?

You can get the latest firmware from www.linksys.com (Support>Downloads>choose your device>firmware).

What network settings do you have in the XBox, & what settings do you have on the router?

EDIT: A patch cable is also known as a straight-through cable. They're used to connect to routers & hubs. They are different from crossover cables in that...the wires are not crossed over. A crossover cable is used to connect two things directly (e.g. PC>PC, PC>XBox, etc).

davebaby
25-08-2003, 00:01
I do connect via the USB Ethernet adaptor.

Not sure what firmware I have but will download the latest version.

I let the Xbox do the network settings automatically. Is it better to do them all manually? If so do I use the settings on the router?

Would I still need a patch cable and if so where would it plug in?

Cheers,

:)

Tezcatlipoca
25-08-2003, 00:21
I do connect via the USB Ethernet adaptor.

Not sure what firmware I have but will download the latest version.

I let the Xbox do the network settings automatically. Is it better to do them all manually? If so do I use the settings on the router?

Would I still need a patch cable and if so where would it plug in?

Cheers,

No, leave the XBox settings on their default Automatic values (IP & DNS set to Auto, PPPOE turned off, Host name empty). Also make sure that you don't have a MAC address still cloned onto the XBox (it's under Advanced network settings) if you used to have one there before.

What are your router's network settings? It should be set to Obtain IP Automatically. Its internal DHCP server should also be turned on (I believe it is by default), so that it can give an IP address to the XBox.

Yes, you need a patch cable. This is to connect the XBox to the router. It is a standard ethernet patch cable with RJ45 plugs on each end - one end for the XBox's ethernet port & one end for the one of the router's LAN ports. Do you know what kind of ethernet cable you are currently using to connect the XBox to the router? Patch or crossover?

Getting the latest firmware is a very good idea - earlier versions of the Linksys firmware did not work with XBox Live as they did not support "UPnP NAT Traversal". This may be the cause of your problem....(well, depending on what version you have now)

davebaby
25-08-2003, 00:38
The routers settings are all automatic as you stated.

I connect the xbox to the router with the ethernet cable that i had supplied with my set top box before I cancelled the tv package and just switched to a cable modem bb package. I don't know what type of ethernet cable that is.

Have downloaded the latest drivers for my router. Am currently checking them out b4 installing them.

I take it I should still get an ethernet card rather than use the USB method I use now, and also the patch cable?

Cheers,

Tezcatlipoca
25-08-2003, 01:00
The routers settings are all automatic as you stated.

I connect the xbox to the router with the ethernet cable that i had supplied with my set top box before I cancelled the tv package and just switched to a cable modem bb package. I don't know what type of ethernet cable that is.

Have downloaded the latest drivers for my router. Am currently checking them out b4 installing them.

I take it I should still get an ethernet card rather than use the USB method I use now, and also the patch cable?

Cheers,

OK.

Before buying new cables etc., see if it works once you have installed the latest firmware onto the router. It might just simply be that your firmware was too old to work with XBox Live.

If it still doesn't work after that, then it may be that the cable is wrong, perhaps.

You use the cable you previously used for your STB? OK, that could be either a crossover cable or a patch cable - some STBs use crossover, some use patch. There is a way to tell them apart by looking at the wires on the plugs, but I can't remember quite how to at the mo' (it's late & I'm tired, lol). Hopefully the firmware is the problem & the cable is OK.

You don't *have* to get an ethernet card for the PC - using a USB>Ethernet adaptor to connect the router to the PC won't affect the XBox.

But...I would still recommend getting an ethernet card anyway, simply because having an ethernet connection for the PC is much better than having a USB connection. Using USB is a drain on system resources, & is less stable than ethernet. Ethernet is also less likely to screw up than USB.

A new patch cable.... maybe. You may already have one, then again, you may not. You could do a Google search to see how to tell the difference between patch (straight-through) & crossover cables (or me or someone else could find out / remember & tell you tomorrow) & then have a look at your cable. If it's wired like a crossover cable, then you will need to buy a patch cable.

Stick the new firmware on the router, & then try connecting to XBL again & let us know how you get on.

Don't worry, we'll get you connected! :)

1am. LOL, I meant to go to bed an hour ago.

davebaby
25-08-2003, 01:12
Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate this. I thought I knew a bit about computers and stuff but you have just put me in the shade.

Will take on board about ethernet card although I have had no problems with USB.

Will stick new firmware on router and try again.

Will do this in the morning as you are right it is far too late and I am knackered also.

Will let you know outcome of this one way or the other 2moz.

Once again thanks so much,

Cheers,

davebaby:)

davebaby
25-08-2003, 14:29
Have downloaded and installed latest firmware onto my router.

Have also got patch cable and placed it between Xbox and router.

Still no joy with connecting to Xbox Live.

Help!

Tezcatlipoca
25-08-2003, 15:57
Agh. That's v odd! :(

OK....

You said your XBox's network settings are all on Automatic etc.? Good.

The router is set on obtain IP automatically? And it's internal DHCP server is turned on?

You now have a new patch cable to connect the XBox to the router? Good.

And the router now has the lastest firmware installed? Good.

Hmmm....

What version BEFSR41 do you have? v2 or v3?

What version firmware do you have?

Do your PC & PS2 connect OK? It's only the XBox that has trouble?

You have never been able to get on XBox Live?

Try plugging the XBox into a different port on the router. Try the port the PC's USB>ethernet adaptor plugs into, or the port the PS2 plugs into.

Also, try turning off the modem *and* the router for at least 5 minutes. Then turn the modem on first & let it boot, & then turn on the router. Then, turn on the XBox & try again.

Try connecting the XBox to your modem directly, to see if perhaps the router is at fault:

Go to the router's settings (open 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer), & note down the WAN Connection's MAC address (it's shown under both the Setup & Status tabs).

Turn everything off (modem, router, XBox, PC etc).

Make sure the XBox is not connected to the router or modem or anything. Turn it on. Go to the Advanced page in the Network Settings. Clone the router's WAN's MAC address onto the XBox in the MAC Address section under Advanced (leave out the "-"s).

Make sure that IP & DNS are set to Automatic, & PPPOE is turned off, in the XBox network settings.

Turn the XBox off.

Plug the XBox into the modem, using the *same cable* you normally use to connect the router to the modem.

Turn the modem on, & let it boot.

Turn the XBox on.

Try to connect.

Carlito
25-08-2003, 21:10
Have you tried using a crossover cable to connect router ->xbox? As far as I am aware, thats what I'm using.

SACM->Router straight through
router->PC crossover
router->xbox crossover

Almost sure thats how mine is set up!

Tezcatlipoca
25-08-2003, 21:25
Crossover cables are only for connecting together two things directly such as 2 PCs, 2 XBoxs, PC & XBox etc.

You need to use a patch cable to connect a PC or XBox to a router.

Tezcatlipoca
26-08-2003, 19:28
Another thing to try.......

If you do what I said before & see if the XBox will work when connected directly to the modem...and it *does* work....then it could be an issue with the router...perhaps the router's UPnP could be buggered somehow....

If that was the case, then a way around it would be to either:

1) Give the XBox a manually assigned static IP on your network & then open & forward the relevant XBL ports to that IP address using the router's IP Forwarding.

2) Give the XBox a manually assigned static IP on your network & then go to the router's settings & place that IP address into the router's "DMZ" (taken from "DeMilitarised Zone" - an IP in the DMZ is outside of the router's NAT firewall & all ports for that IP are opened)

If you have had no luck so far with the router, & the XBox does work connected directly (suggesting a router problem), then let me know & I'll give you more info on how to do the 2 steps above.

davebaby
26-08-2003, 20:01
Currently going through the motions of checking whether Xbox works with cable modem.

Also, should I have mentioned (as you now start cursing) :mad:
that my xbox has been "upgraded" and fitted with evox. Could this also be part of the problem?

Tezcatlipoca
26-08-2003, 20:05
Currently going through the motions of checking whether Xbox works with cable modem.

OK.

Also, should I have mentioned (as you now start cursing) :mad:
that my xbox has been "upgraded" and fitted with evox. Could this also be part of the problem?

AGH!!! :(

Modded XBoxs *DO NOT* work with XBox Live.

The only way to get a modded XBox to work with XBL is to have a mod-chip with a switch, & *always* remember to turn the chip off before you try to go online. [And once the new Dashboard is released, you won't even be able to do that: if it's modded, it won't work on XBL - even with a switch]

If a modded XBox tries to connect to Live, with an active modchip (or an altered BIOS in any other way), that XBox gets permanently banned from ever connecting.

Caspar
26-08-2003, 20:42
It's the little details that count! :p

davebaby
26-08-2003, 23:56
I would like to apologise to you guys. Sorry!!!!:o

My Xbox is now connected upto Live via my PC and router.

Basically, the thing was my modded machine was switchable which I didn't realise as I have only just got it. Anyway, switching the chip off, solved the whole connection issue. So sorry (once again) for putting you guys (Tez and Cas) through all these posts asking all these things.

Having said that, I know if I ever need any help on any of these (or other) subjects again, I know where to come. You guys are geniuses!!!:D

I have a couple more questions though.

a) With Microsoft changing Live so that any modded machines will be banned, does anybody know where I could get a cheap "normal" Xbox from? (Apart from Ebay)
b) How would I go about transferring my account settings to that machine? (I'm sure people who have been on Live and their machine has got faulty and had a replacement have had this problem?)
c) Are Microsoft going to drop the price of the Xbox again soon?

So, once again, thanks you guys. You were brilliant. So sorry for putting you through hell!!!! Xbox Live is fantastic and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. (While I can)

Cheers,

Davebaby:)

Tezcatlipoca
27-08-2003, 00:18
Glad you've finallly got it working! :)

And thanks for the compliments, lol.

a) Hmm. I don't know, but there'll be others here who do. You could always sell the modded one, unless you want to keep it (for the functions that we're not allowed to discuss here).

b) You can save your XBL account onto a memory card. You can also do an "Account Retrieval" in the XBL bit of the Dash. So don't worry about losing it - just make sure you save the account.

c) No idea, lol. Probably not, IMO. It's pretty cheap now as it is. They'd lose even more money on each unit if they dropped the price again. Caspar or Jarandco are usually good with the news & rumours though, & may have heard something.

What's your Gamertag then Davey? There's a thread at the top of the forum with Tag of various people from here. There's also some v good XBox specific forums at BritXBox.co.uk where you'l find loads of UK gamers to play with.

Dooby
27-08-2003, 10:08
you are lucky, I thought that once live spotted a modded box it banned it for life, this looks like it only bans it for that session...interesting

oh and with regards to MS 'changing' live so modded boxes are banned, it has been like that for a long time now, started in beta i think

Tezcatlipoca
27-08-2003, 20:21
Originally posted by Dooby
you are lucky, I thought that once live spotted a modded box it banned it for life, this looks like it only bans it for that session...interesting

I think this time it may be different as he had never actually managed to get on XBL & set up an account etc. The mod prevented him from even signing up - when it was turned off, he could connect. Well, only thing I can think of. :confused:

I know (from other forums) that actually going on Live with an active modchip does *definitely* ban the XBox for life - not for a session.

oh and with regards to MS 'changing' live so modded boxes are banned, it has been like that for a long time now, started in beta i think

Yeah, but I don't think he meant that. He was refering to what I had said earlier.

At the moment, a modded XBox can still go on Live as long as the chip has a switch so you can turn it off. You just have to make sure you always turn the modchip off before going on XBL.

But.....When XBL v2 & the new Dashboard are launched, even modded XBoxs with switches won't be able to go on XBL. Turning it off won't matter. Modchip = No XBL.