PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ethernet Card

tabatha
24-08-2003, 19:51
:confused:Hi...I know this has been "talked around" ..but never explained,fully!!..Would some-one please post the idiot guide to fitting an ethernet card ..I can remove the pc cover!..start from there...pse assume I know nowt...and you will be right..
ANY help welcome...cheers....If it matters..Win ME :confused:

Richard M
24-08-2003, 19:59
Er ok..

1) Turn the computer off.
2) Find your PCI slots, there should be either 3 or 5 of them and are coloured white, about 6 inches long.
3) Remove the blanking plate from the slot you want to put the card in (at the back of the slot, back of the computer, it should be metal).
4) Push the card in firmly but don't force it.
5) Use the supplied screw with either the card or motherboard to screw it in place at the side furthest away from the motherboard.
6) Plug in the ethernet cable/cable modem.
7) Turn your PC on.
8) It should automatically pick up the NIC in Windows, if not then install the drivers.

Mal
24-08-2003, 20:01
With Windows Me, it'll automatically pick up the nic. That's what happened with me anyway.

tabatha
24-08-2003, 20:10
Thank you..quick and complete..thank you gents...one follow up..are all cards the same...need it for ntl bb.....but you guessed that!!!!!

Seb
24-08-2003, 21:03
As long as you get a 10/100 ethernet card, AFAIK they are all the same. I have built many a computer and when i get an ethernet card i usally buy any old one i can find, provided its a 10/100. So IMHO they are all the same, i might be told utherwise later though! :rolleyes:

Seb

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 11:48
Tabatha,
Go to pc world or novatech and just get a cheap one (around £10)

tabatha
31-08-2003, 21:55
Just to say Thank You for all the advice...card installed..all AOK...
seems slightly faster than usb..certainly download speed is much steadier...