PDA

View Full Version : Wanadoo

Bifta
09-12-2004, 10:08
Wanadoo for some reason restrict their customers to using their own SMTP servers, which would be fine, but for the last 2 weeks I've had around 80% of my email's being undelivered and the other 20% arriving 10+ hours late. I've search around and found lots of other users with the same problem. I called Wanadoo (on more than one ocassion) and get fobbed off with various excuses like "We don't support Outlook" (seriously, that's what he told me!) and "We don't support routers", they refuse point blank to look into the problem and wondered if there's anything I can do, I'm tied into a 12 month contract and have to send all of my work emails through this shower so it's causing me no end of problems ... could I get Trading Standards involved or something? Or is there some way of fooling my PC into thinking smtp.wanadoo.co.uk is actually a totally different address (e.g. somehow translate it to an IP address of a totally different server?)

Neil
09-12-2004, 10:16
Hmmm.....

The reason they restrict you is to prevent spam I would guess (which is a good thing IMO)

The thing is (no offence here :angel: ), you are using a residential home BB connection for business use, so I'm not sure you really have a leg to stand on.

I would have a bit more respect for Wanadoo if they actually told you that, rather than off fob you a couple of lame BS excuses to prevent them helping you. :rolleyes:

What about creating a new mailbox, & using that just for your business stuff, & change the 'reply to' address to your work address?

Not ideal I know, but probably better than nothing?

Strzelecki
09-12-2004, 10:17
Double check your terms and condidtions first, see if there's anything in there about email. Then you might want to post on ADSLguide, other people are complaining there. Then I should think it is OFCOM to approach first. What about webmail (wanandoo) does the problems still occur with that?

Bifta
09-12-2004, 10:24
Double check your terms and condidtions first, see if there's anything in there about email. Then you might want to post on ADSLguide, other people are complaining there. Then I should think it is OFCOM to approach first. What about webmail (wanandoo) does the problems still occur with that?

Webmail works fine, but that would normally connect up to sendmail or something instead of the SMTP server.

Paul
09-12-2004, 10:51
How are they actually preventing you using other smtp servers ?

Neil
09-12-2004, 11:10

I was wondering that....

The thing is, the mail does get sent, it just arrives very late. :td:

Bifta
09-12-2004, 11:18

If you change the SMTP server to anything other than a freeserve or wanadoo address (both resolve to the same machine) then it gives you an error message telling you to change it back.

As it stands, they're now refusing to admit there's a problem, they're refusing to give me a migration auth. code without charging me the full 12 month contract, they're refusing to give me the name of any of their directors (I was going to write a letter to one or all of them) and refuse to look at any links (e.g. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=16897).

Paul
09-12-2004, 11:26
Sounds like they are intercepting port 25 traffic. You could set up you own smtp server somewhere and make it listen on a port other than 25, then send your mail via that.

Neil
09-12-2004, 11:28
they're refusing to give me the name of any of their directors (I was going to write a letter to one or all of them) and refuse to look at any links (e.g. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=16897).

That's a bad link m8.

Bifta
09-12-2004, 11:29
That's a bad link m8.

Works ok for me

Bifta
09-12-2004, 11:34
Sounds like they are intercepting port 25 traffic. You could set up you own smtp server somewhere and make it listen on a port other than 25, then send your mail via that.

Could I set up the SMTP server that comes with IIS locally on a different port?

Paul
09-12-2004, 11:39
Could I set up the SMTP server that comes with IIS locally on a different port?Yes, it can run on any port.

Obviously it needs to be on a server situated outside of the wanadoo network, otherwise it's outgoing traffic will get blocked in the same way. :)

Bifta
09-12-2004, 11:43
Yes, it can run on any port.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl with Postcast until they sort out the problem (if they sort it out).

Bifta
09-12-2004, 12:04
I've set up an SMTP server but it's still not working, set it up on port 1234, changed the port settings and hostname in outlook for SMTP but the log file on the SMTP server shows:

Message from:< xxxx@xxxx.com > to:< xxxx@xxxx.com> Direct delivery fail! Please check that your outgoing mail server settings are correct. To do this go to http://www.freeserve.com/help/email/freeserveemailsettings/oe5easysettings.htm. Or contact technical support for assistance.

Just saw the last bit of your post ... is there anything else I can do?

Paul
09-12-2004, 12:28
Just saw the last bit of your post ... is there anything else I can do?Yeah, sorry I edited it after reading your reply again and realising you ment on your pc.

You canot do anything from within the wanadoo network because they are obviously intercepting all port 25 traffic - you need a box somewhere outside of their network that you can run an smtp service on. Can you not run something on one of your i-web boxes ?

Bifta
09-12-2004, 12:36
Yeah, sorry I edited it after reading your reply again and realising you ment on your pc.

You canot do anything from within the wanadoo network because they are obviously intercepting all port 25 traffic - you need a box somewhere outside of their network that you can run an smtp service on. Can you not run something on one of your i-web boxes ?

I checked with I-web and KP said it should be ok so long as it's locked down, but I can't find an SMTPD script anywhere :(

Paul
09-12-2004, 12:47
Can't help you there i'm afraid - maybe Richard or one of the linux people can.

KingPhoenix
09-12-2004, 18:36
Ive started our smtp server on a second instance on port 26 on all of our linux boxes :)

That should fix it for you :)

Bifta
09-12-2004, 19:49
Ive started our smtp server on a second instance on port 26 on all of our linux boxes :)

That should fix it for you :)

Nice one, thanks for that, only trouble is, I can't connect to it, "outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing mail server", is it running currently on port 26 or should I check my firewall first?

Paul
09-12-2004, 20:02
Nice one, thanks for that, only trouble is, I can't connect to it, "outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing mail server", is it running currently on port 26 or should I check my firewall first?Just tried it here and I cannot connect, so it's not your end.

KingPhoenix
10-12-2004, 09:24
Which servers you tried?

[edit]Bollox, helps if i open up the firewall port aswell doesnt it...

[edit] Done :)

Bifta
10-12-2004, 09:32
Which servers you tried?

Bollox, helps if i open up the firewall port aswell doesnt it

Just tried it again, that's done the job perfectly, thanks for your help!

Bifta
31-12-2004, 11:33
Just phoned my new ISP to find out when my account will be activated, they said "You've still got ADSL on that line", the cease was supposed to occur yesterday so I phoned wanadoo, some rude northern woman said "it has been ceased", I phone BT, they say "no it hasn't, speak to your old ISP", I phone wanadoo back, same woman "BT are wrong, our system shows it as ceased", I tell her she must be mistaken as my future ISP and BT tell me it's not, she get's all shirty saying they're both wrong, I ask her to phone BT, she comes back on the phone "BT said it'll definately be done by Tuesday" useless ... absolutely useless...

angel333
17-01-2006, 21:14
I noticed a messaged about wanadoo messing someone around regarding a mirgration. I got a MAC code from wanadoo before xmas and tried to switch to ukonline. ha! I spent 3 weeks on the phone between ukonline support, wanadoo and bt. Wanadoo swore they no longer had my line, and there was nothing on my line to do with them... even though the lights on my modem were green throughout the whole process, indicating to me that my service to wanadoo was never interupted, and my modem was still registering with wanadoos stupid connection speed! My wanadoo account was ceased after a week of my providing ukonline with the mac code, but my wanadoo account (according to wanadoo) was still active and I was still being charged by them. Even though the cease ment I could no longer log onto the wanadoo network. By this time i was also being charged by ukonline as well and I was blaming ukonline for a while, thinking they were taking the pee connecting me... so much so I put in for a cancellation with ukonline. I requested my wanadoo account be closed yesterday also ... and guess what?! My modem lights are red today! Wanadoo must have finally taken me off the network... even though according to wanadoo I had been taken off their network weeks ago. UKonline mentioned they had noticed lots of problems with people trying to migrate over from wanadoo. I am annoyed now, as if i hadnt have put in for that cancellation with ukonline, I would most likely be connected to them now wanadoo have taken off their hold on me!
Wanadoo were so annoying... I kept telling them there is something of theirs still on my line, as my modem is registering their network - the modem dials 0,38 for ukonline and with that number i had no response from the modem. Wanadoo uses P0,38 and only with the P there would the modem respond - but I couldnt connect with a username from either isp. Wanadoo didnt listen... and one of their 'support' agents actually got snotty with me, and raised his voice tellling me I obviously didnt know what I was talking about as my wanadoo account is ceased, and they no longer have my line! Grrrrrr. I am sick of wanadoo. I signed up when it was freeserve and they didnt listen to me then either. I had a faulty modem (which i paid £80 for) but they didnt take my word for it... I had to go through 6 months of talking to tech support, humoring them by trying anything and everything they told me before they eventually agreed with me that the modem was faulty!
Stay clear of those guys! The service is fine until you have a problem you need help with!
Also with them, I found everytime i rang, I was on hold for at least 20 mins b4 someone answered the phone - on occasion I was on hold for an hour. Disgusting customer support if you ask me.
Anyways, I'd be interested to hear of any other problems people have had regarding migrating from wanadoo.... I wanna know what they are up to so I have something solid and can make sense if I were to go to somewhere like trading standards to complain. I'm not sure what was going on with my migration, but I am positive wanadoo were at fault somewhere. I dont think I explained too well here, just quickly rambling the jist of things. I am stuck on dial up at the moment thanks to this migration fiasco.
Angela