PDA

View Full Version : All I want is my dish installed!

Chris
08-12-2004, 16:08
:cry:

Our $ky installer came two weeks ago, took one look at our house and said the installation would have to be rescheduled. It's a wooden building, and the only place the dish can go is on the stone chimney stack. That means getting onto the roof, which means a two-man job.

Fair enough.

The installation was rescheduled for yesterday. The installer is meant to phone before 9am with an ETA. The phone rang but thrice, before Mrs T got to it to hear only silence on the other end. She phoned $ky herself, and they said the installer would call between 3 and 7pm (7pm!!).

7pm came and went. She phoned them; installer still coming, running late, no ETA.

9pm came and went. I phoned them, installer hadn't called in to reschedule, so assume he's still coming for now sir and call again in 20 minutes if he hasn't. They do work until 9.30pm in the run up to Christmas sir, if they have to.

9.30pm came and went. I phoned at 9.40 and asked the call centre if they were aware that we were out in the country with no street lighting. Oh yes, sir, they bring their own lights with them. But are they still coming, I insisted. Well sir, the job hasn't been officially put down for a re-schedule, but I'll phone the branch office and see if anyone's still there (!!!).

Of course, the branch office was closed, we were advised it was highly unlikely the installer was coming and we were offered a third date for install: Saturday 18th December. In other words, almost a month after we put in our order for $ky.

The call centre staff have been great, polite, helpful, and more to the point they've always answered the phone within 10 seconds. But none of it's worth a hill of beans if I can't get that little dish bolted to my chimney. :(

I don't suppose there's anyone from $ky around here that can do anything, but just moaning about it is therapeutic. Thanks for listening.

quadplay
13-12-2004, 00:23
Oh blimey, don't fill me with fear! :Yikes:

I've just managed to get a Sky+ install booked for my parents (they live in a non-cabled area), along with Multiroom to move their existing box. The appointment has been booked through their website, for December 24th! And it's going to be a fun one - the house has a very odd layout... :disturbd:

Assuming the installer does turn up, I shall have to ply them with mince pies! ;)

Chris
13-12-2004, 16:42
Oh blimey, don't fill me with fear! :Yikes:

I've just managed to get a Sky+ install booked for my parents (they live in a non-cabled area), along with Multiroom to move their existing box. The appointment has been booked through their website, for December 24th! And it's going to be a fun one - the house has a very odd layout... :disturbd:

Assuming the installer does turn up, I shall have to ply them with mince pies! ;)
Hope your experience is smoother than mine then! I'm sure it's just a one-off with me.

Just to rub salt into my wounds though, yesterday afternoon the installer returned (same van, different crew) and stopped outside my house (I was on the driveway). Yippee, I thought, an unexpected cancellation elsewhere and they have decided to come and see if they can do my dish instead.

Nope.

They wanted directions to one of my neighbours. :( 10 minutes later and I could hear industrious noises from a nearby roof as the dish was set in place.

Ah well, mine is due this coming Saturday. Hopefully.

quadplay
13-12-2004, 17:00
Fingers crossed for you mate! :)

themelon
14-12-2004, 08:26
My good are they still at it.

Makes me thankful im with ntl.

If they turned up at 9.30pm id be very surprised if they do a good job, In Fact I would be very surprised if they do a good job in full day light with my experience and the mess they are capable of making.

Neil
14-12-2004, 11:32
My good are they still at it.

Makes me thankful im with ntl.

If they turned up at 9.30pm id be very surprised if they do a good job, In Fact I would be very surprised if they do a good job in full day light with my experience and the mess they are capable of making.

Yeah, because we never get posts from ntl customers that get messed around when it comes to installation do we? :rolleyes:

gary_580
14-12-2004, 11:54
eewwwwwwwww dish attached to a stone chimney stack eewwwww

know a good stone mason ;)

themelon
15-12-2004, 14:08
Yeah, because we never get posts from ntl customers that get messed around when it comes to installation do we? :rolleyes:

And people are never happy with ntls services either are they :rolleyes:

Chris
20-12-2004, 11:18
NAAARRRRRRGH! :banghead: :cry:

I'll leave you to guess the rest.

poolking
20-12-2004, 11:21

I'll leave you to guess the rest. Still no dish? :D

bopdude
20-12-2004, 11:21

I'll leave you to guess the rest.
OOPSY, i take it they've let you down, at least you still have your dial up :rolleyes: :p:

poolking
20-12-2004, 11:25
You could always use a dustbin lid in the meantime. :D

Chris
20-12-2004, 11:31
We are indeed still dishless. I've now committed the saga to blog:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=27

quadplay
20-12-2004, 13:04
Eep! Fingers crossed (even tighter!) for you. At least my parents' house is on the old A11, so no chance of ice/snow/whatever blocking the way!

Chris
23-12-2004, 11:01
w00t! There is a satellite installer at my house RIGHT NOW!!!

And he's up on the roof in a howling gale as well. Now that's service.

My advice to anyone contemplating $ky is to order it through a local, $ky-approved independent installer. It is so much less hassle than booking it through $ky themselves.

dilli-theclaw
23-12-2004, 11:03
w00t! There is a satellite installer at my house RIGHT NOW!!!

And he's up on the roof in a howling gale as well. Now that's service.

My advice to anyone contemplating $ky is to order it through a local, $ky-approved independent installer. It is so much less hassle than booking it through $ky themselves. MY fingers are indeed crossed for you... And My boy's.... And my missus' :)

Chris
23-12-2004, 15:16
MY fingers are indeed crossed for you... And My boy's.... And my missus' :)
Thanks ... you can uncross them now, $ky is in, and the boy is happily going square-eyed in front of Cbeebies.

Domestic bliss!

poolking
23-12-2004, 15:20
How much did your local installer charge you for the install?

Chris
23-12-2004, 15:22
How much did your local installer charge you for the install?
Free, provided we subscribed to services totalling about £45 per month (must be some movies and sports in there somewhere I assume, but I've not been home to see it yet). I have no intention of maintaining that service level however, we'll be down to the base pack after Christmas.

poolking
23-12-2004, 15:30
Nice one. :D

Anyway I'll be dumping NTL DTV at some point next year. :)

paulyoung666
23-12-2004, 15:41
Free, provided we subscribed to services totalling about £45 per month (must be some movies and sports in there somewhere I assume, but I've not been home to see it yet). I have no intention of maintaining that service level however, we'll be down to the base pack after Christmas.

did you get sky or sky+ ?????? , if you got sky+ then you need to keep a premium channel or you get charged £10 extra / month :disturbd:

Chris
23-12-2004, 16:03
did you get sky or sky+ ?????? , if you got sky+ then you need to keep a premium channel or you get charged £10 extra / month :disturbd:
Nope, we watch too much telly as it is, without a PVR recording more stuff for us on its own initiative. Just a basic digibox.