PDA

View Full Version : Tesco moving offshore

andygrif
06-12-2004, 15:17
Just having a quick look around the Tesco CDs on their webiste and stumbled over this:

http://www.tesco.com/extra/p.aspx?id=AboutJersey

It looks like they have taken a leaf out of the books of Play and 7DayShop and started offering CDs cheaper (including delivery) for around 8.89.

Usual restrictions apply, i.e. goods up to £18 are exempt from HMCE Duty. I wonder if Amazon will follow suit now too.

toots66
06-12-2004, 15:42
Usual restrictions apply, i.e. goods up to £18 are exempt from HMCE Duty. I wonder if Amazon will follow suit now too. They already have! I was looking yesterday for a few DVDs and a couple of them offered me a choice of buying them from Amazon Jersey. Total price incl delivery worked out £1 cheaper than play.com too. Do a search for "ripping yarns" for an example.

gary_580
06-12-2004, 15:45
Usual restrictions apply, i.e. goods up to £18 are exempt from HMCE Duty. I wonder if Amazon will follow suit now too.

There is already an Amazon Jersey, in fact i had a DVD delivery by them today

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/13378011/202-4909908-2991032

beaten to it, hopefully you'll find the link useful ;)

Theodoric
06-12-2004, 18:45
If you wanted to be strictly legal and divided your order into less than £18 each, which you could do for CDs, then it could still be cheaper, even with p&p for each item. I wonder what the view of HMCE would be? I suppose that if they wanted to be difficult, they could get you for somethimg, but would tthey bother?

gary_580
06-12-2004, 18:52
If you wanted to be strictly legal and divided your order into less than £18 each, which you could do for CDs, then it could still be cheaper, even with p&p for each item. I wonder what the view of HMCE would be? I suppose that if they wanted to be difficult, they could get you for somethimg, but would tthey bother?

most of these companies dispatch each item seperatley

Theodoric
06-12-2004, 20:15
most of these companies dispatch each item seperatley
The advantage of ordering them in one batch is that the postage is normally much less than if you order them separately. By "these companies", are you talking about CD firms in general or the off-shore ones in particular? I'm not even sure how HMCE check these things. Do they subcontract VAT collection to to the Royal Mail, do they open a sample of parcels, or is it all just bluff with a very small chance of being caught out?

Theodoric
06-12-2004, 20:21
They already have! I was looking yesterday for a few DVDs and a couple of them offered me a choice of buying them from Amazon Jersey. Total price incl delivery worked out £1 cheaper than play.com too. Do a search for "ripping yarns" for an example.
I had a look for "Ripping Yarns" and, as you say, there it was. However a search for a number of CDs that I'm after showed that none of them were available in Jersey.

andygrif
06-12-2004, 22:42
Well we live and learn!

I've searched on about half a dozen CDs on Amazon and there's none that come from Jersey, but quite a lot of DVDs do. Makes sense that I didn't know about it as I would never buy DVDs from them, and only rarely CDs.

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 22:44
The advantage of ordering them in one batch is that the postage is normally much less than if you order them separately.
Doesn't matter if you order from Play as they don't charge for postage :D

gary_580
06-12-2004, 23:24
The advantage of ordering them in one batch is that the postage is normally much less than if you order them separately. By "these companies", are you talking about CD firms in general or the off-shore ones in particular? I'm not even sure how HMCE check these things. Do they subcontract VAT collection to to the Royal Mail, do they open a sample of parcels, or is it all just bluff with a very small chance of being caught out?

i ordered 4 DVDs from an Amazon reseller in Florida in a single transaction and all came individually packaged