PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Pay early?

Salu
06-12-2004, 10:02
Do you like this increasingly popular trend of getting your December Salary early? Does it give you that extra bit of help before Christmas or does it seem to make January never come to an end?

Personally I don't like it. I think we should aim to manage every month with our salaries. Paying it early is a form of credit which is pushed and pushed these days. With the country in so much consumer debt this is not good.

Looking forward to Christmas though :)

skyblueheroes
06-12-2004, 10:08
Yeah, agreed. I always struggle then at the end of Jan !

Electrolyte01
06-12-2004, 10:11
"Couldn't give a stuffed turkey" sounds just about right for me :D

Chris W
06-12-2004, 10:23
I normally get paid on the 24th. This month i'll get it on the 23rd :shrug:

doesn't make much difference to me!

orangebird
06-12-2004, 10:29
I like it because it helps out with that extra expense of pressies and stuff, but yes, it is a struggle to the end of January. I have a second job though, and the wages from that get saved for times like this. :)

Neil
06-12-2004, 10:32
I have a second job though, and the wages from that get saved for times like this. :)

:naughty:

I'm surprised you need the 1st job! :D :angel:

Paul
06-12-2004, 10:37
My company has always paid us a week earlier in December, you just get used to it.

gary_580
06-12-2004, 10:37
who cares really the Direct Debits still take it all!!! At the end of the day i get paid on the 25th and the banks are closed so i would normally get paid the Friday before that in any other month, but for December i get mine on the 17th.

SMHarman
06-12-2004, 11:31
Do you like this increasingly popular trend of getting your December Salary early? Does it give you that extra bit of help before Christmas or does it seem to make January never come to an end?

Personally I don't like it. I think we should aim to manage every month with our salaries. Paying it early is a form of credit which is pushed and pushed these days. With the country in so much consumer debt this is not good.

Why is it a form of credit? No more so than work is a form of debt, such that by the end of the month you have worked for your employer for the month, but not been paid for it until the end of the month.

It's interesting that in the UK we get paid monthly (so you are owed pay for work you did 30 days ago), the US with their historicall less paternal employment culture pay fortnightly, so at most you will be owed for work performed 14 days earlier.

In anycase, my employer pays on the 20th, which means I get paid 20 days in arrears and 10 days in advance, as someone else has said, what does it matter, it all gets taken by direct debits etc.

gooner4life
06-12-2004, 11:37
Doesnt matter to me this year as I get paid on the 21st and then i get paid on the 5th of January which will include my redundancy money.

but historically yes January is a pain and much scrimping and saving is required which is nice considering my birthday is in the middle of Jan :cries:

Bifta
06-12-2004, 11:49
I prefer to get paid after the xmas season, January 2nd, I tend to do all of my christmas shopping from Octobers and Novembers pay so it's no real stretch.

iadom
06-12-2004, 12:44
I always struggle at the end of January as well, but then I do owe the Inland Revenue just over £3,500 on the 31st.:(

Kliro
06-12-2004, 13:01
Just out of interest, how much do you spend at christmas?

And how much of that goes on presents for your children?

gooner4life
06-12-2004, 13:12
Just out of interest, how much do you spend at christmas?

And how much of that goes on presents for your children?

Close to a 1000 and about 400 on my son this year (first xmas bless him)
and about 300 on my partner.

Stephen
06-12-2004, 13:18
I hate getting paid early. Means I struggle by the middle of Jan.

greencreeper
06-12-2004, 13:37
I have no job :cry: Not sure when the benefit will arrive though - probably get it a few days earlier than normal.

Paul K
06-12-2004, 14:16
We're getting paid early since we should get paid on the 25th, it won't make too much difference to us as we have finished the present shopping already and just need to get the food and drink in. Just means I have a 5 week gap between pay dates :shrug:

Maggy
06-12-2004, 15:46
Grump!!I used to get paid on the nearest Friday to the 17th of the month.Now I get paid on the nearest Friday to the 30th/31st if it's a weekend or the 30th/31st if it's a weekday.This means I won't be getting my biggest ever paycheck until the very last day of the year,this year.All that money and no time to go to the sales before I have to be back at work. :mad:

Tezcatlipoca
06-12-2004, 21:00

I always get paid early in December.

It's good because I need the money for Christmas!

But it's bad 'cos then it takes ages 'till pay day at the end of Jan.

Matthew
06-12-2004, 22:56
I get paid every Saturday so I'm not sure about what will happen on Christmas week. Wages are not usually ready till a Friday so I will pick it up when I finish on Christmas Eve.