Shaun
06-12-2004, 01:01
Somewhere to share your display.

Not the grandest of trees, but we like it. :D

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/weihnachten/smilie_tannenbaum.gif

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 02:01
I think it looks nice.

I wasn't going to have a tree this year but I'm under instructions (from a very speacial Lady Friend) to go out and buy one!! I've never bought a tree, let alone decorations before, and I haven't got a clue where to start.

I know it's got to be a fake one and have twinkly lights but that's as far as I've got so far!

Martin
06-12-2004, 02:42
Not got the tree up yet but its penned in for one day during the week. :)

bopdude
06-12-2004, 03:19
Nice work Dell, have to put mine up this week now that it looks like i'm staying in this house a bit longer than i thought

Chimaera
06-12-2004, 07:46
No chance of ours going up till the new carpet is down - which won't be done till the decorating is finished - and that can't be done until the builder comes and sorts out a few bits and pieces in the lounge! :cry:
Think I'll put it off till next year at this rate! :(
At least I have a volunteer to put it up when I'm ready :) .

skyblueheroes
06-12-2004, 08:42
We get a real one each year, and stick it on top of table in bay window. Normally looks superb. I'll post a pic if I can.

greencreeper
06-12-2004, 09:28
I used to have a small (foot high) plastic tree with decorations glued on. Just chucked a bit of tinsel at it and hey presto. When I moved house I discovered it was a bit dusty (I'd put it on top of the wardrobe), so I slung it. I don't really go for the whole christmas thing - no point when you're on your own and spend the day with your parents.

Electrolyte01
06-12-2004, 10:12
no point when you're on your own and spend the day with your parents.
Awww! :hugs:

Theodoric
06-12-2004, 15:54
I think it looks nice.

I wasn't going to have a tree this year but I'm under instructions (from a very speacial Lady Friend) to go out and buy one!! I've never bought a tree, let alone decorations before, and I haven't got a clue where to start.

I know it's got to be a fake one and have twinkly lights but that's as far as I've got so far!
Well, for years and years, we've had a plain vanilla artificial tree and year after year I've wrestled with disentangling the lights and finding spare bulbs and sorting out the decorations. Last year we invested in one of those trees with the fibre optic cable and attached decorations. Not the cheapest option, but much easier to use.

Dave Stones
06-12-2004, 16:30
i got a free one (christmas bonus, dontcha know) from work. it's languishing in its net at the bottom of the garden at the moment, until we decide what to do with it... :erm:

greencreeper
06-12-2004, 16:32
...year after year I've wrestled with disentangling the lights and finding spare bulbs and sorting out the decorations
That's the whole point! :D It's a ritual.

Theodoric
06-12-2004, 16:39
That's the whole point! :D It's a ritual.
So's being disembowelled on a sacrificial altar!

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 17:53
So's being disembowelled on a sacrificial altar!
:LOL:

True :D

Matthew
06-12-2004, 23:55
We got ours out at the weekend and put it up on Sunday. It doesn't look bad, when I get a minute I will get a photo of it and post it.

Halcyon
07-12-2004, 12:23
Just put ours up yesterday.
All the lights work which is good.

Stuart
07-12-2004, 13:41
We have three trees.

One large plastic one, one fibre-optic one and a real one in the Garden.

We got a plastic one as we have two dogs that love to play fight around (and under) trees and bushes. So, any christmas tree we have will get knocked about, and even the best quality real trees will drop needles if they are knocked around enough.

We got the one in the garden when we bought a real tree about 15 years ago. While we were packing it up, my mum noticed what looked like a living (and viable) root. She planted it, and we still have the resulting tree in the garden. I don't know how tall it is, but it's considerably taller than the house.

The fibre-optic tree was bought mainly because it is pretty, but it's also strangely hypnotic as well...

Scarlett
07-12-2004, 13:54
Ours hasn't gone up yet. We have a slight issue with it this year... We have recently aquired two Kittens.

Two very energetic kittens who like to climb/fight/run/jump/etc. like all kittens do. They also LOVE string and dangly things...

so a fully decked out tree... :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

Current plan is to put just the tree up and leave it till the weekend to decorate, the idea being, we will be around this week to keep an eye on them and we have the 'cat re-education' device (read Water pistol) that we will be able to use on the bare tree. when we catch them climbing it...

Theodoric
07-12-2004, 15:30
Ours hasn't gone up yet. We have a slight issue with it this year... We have recently aquired two Kittens.

Two very energetic kittens who like to climb/fight/run/jump/etc. like all kittens do. They also LOVE string and dangly things...

so a fully decked out tree... :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

Current plan is to put just the tree up and leave it till the weekend to decorate, the idea being, we will be around this week to keep an eye on them and we have the 'cat re-education' device (read Water pistol) that we will be able to use on the bare tree. when we catch them climbing it...
Very wise move, although your hope of using aversion therapy on the cats may be optimistic. We found that a mature cat who couldn't resist batting the hanging tree decorations was bad enough, never mind 2 kittens.

Nugget
07-12-2004, 15:43
I'll agree with that - ours are 4½, and love nothing more than climbing the tree, batting the decorations or (and this is my personal favourite) opening all of the presents as a result of the sharp claw / stupid creature / shiny paper and ribbon interface.

What I've found works best is just to let them think they're alright and then throw something at them (preferably a brick, but Mrs Nug won't let me do that :mad: ). If you time it right, it's almost Pavlovian - tree = large blunt object in back of head. RESULT!

orangebird
07-12-2004, 15:58
I can't believe the things you people will do the educate a cat - water pistols, throwing objects... :nono:

Nugget
07-12-2004, 16:14
I can't believe the things you people will do the educate a cat - water pistols, throwing objects... :nono:

We-eeeellll, it's better than throwing the cat ;) :p:

Stuart
07-12-2004, 16:31
Actually, for some reason, a sharp "No" with a wagling finger works with our cat. Don't shout the word "No" though, as they apparently take that as a form of attack..

orangebird
07-12-2004, 16:50
Actually, for some reason, a sharp "No" with a wagling finger works with our cat. Don't shout the word "No" though, as they apparently take that as a form of attack..

My cat knows what 'No' mean too. Not that she takes any notice.. I'm a bit soft ( which she knows full well) and I find her naughtiness very endearing :romance:

Stuart
07-12-2004, 16:53
My cat knows what 'No' mean too. Not that she takes any notice.. I'm a bit soft ( which she knows full well) and I find her naughtiness very endearing :romance:
My cat normally listens if I say no... Possibly something to do with the fact that I feed him. He'll give me a dirty look if he doesn't agree, but he'll usually back down and do something else instead..

orangebird
07-12-2004, 17:17
My cat normally listens if I say no... Possibly something to do with the fact that I feed him. He'll give me a dirty look if he doesn't agree, but he'll usually back down and do something else instead..

My doesn't. She yowls at me, looks very hurt, then rolls around pretending to be too cute. It usually works and I end up giving her a treat and feeling guilty for telling her off in the first place. :rolleyes: :dunce:

Nidge
07-12-2004, 18:35
Here is mine.

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Xmas4/Tree14.gif

Scarlett
07-12-2004, 18:53

I was advised to tap them on the nose and say no but that just doesn't work with mine, another site suggested the water pistols because you can make the cat realise that its not a good thing to do without them working out where the 'education' came from. They only get the water pistol after ignoring the 'no's ' from us.

danielf
07-12-2004, 19:05

May I suggest a very large super-soaker? :)

iadom
08-12-2004, 11:12
Ours doesn't go up until after the 12th, not because of superstition. It is the wifes birthday on the 12th and I don't like to put up the tree and display the cards until then, so that it does not detract from her special day.

We always have a large real tree, I just love the smell.:)

dilli-theclaw
08-12-2004, 11:16
My dad came home with this today.

I'm going to build it later :)

bopdude
08-12-2004, 11:54
My dad came home with this today.

I'm going to build it later :)
:erm: :erm: :erm: Nice ???? :shrug: :p:

Must dig mine out today as well.

dilli-theclaw
08-12-2004, 11:58
:erm: :erm: :erm: Nice ???? :shrug: :p:

Must dig mine out today as well.
I said I was gonna BUILD it - not that it would work ;)

If it does work I'll take a piccy and post it :)

bopdude
08-12-2004, 12:02
I said I was gonna BUILD it - not that it would work ;)

If it does work I'll take a piccy and post it :)LOL... okey dokey ;) must start a new thread tonight, xmas tree disasters :rolleyes:

Chimaera
09-12-2004, 19:51
Well I might just get my tree up before the 25th - the builders will be round by Wednesday next week, the decorating can be completed by the 20th, which is when the new carpet is being fitted - then daughter no 1 can come round and put the tree up! If it looks ok I'll post a pic, as there's not been too many on this thread!

Scarlett
09-12-2004, 20:56
Well 2 days and the tree is still standing and in one piece!! Decs will go on this weekend...

we do have another tree though as well see here (http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10069&cn=147&d=14&t=7)

trentsteel
09-12-2004, 21:52
Our tree

Paul K
09-12-2004, 21:54
Our tree
Is santa buying you an auto-focus camera for Christmas? :D Just kidding, nice tree by the look of it, thankfully this year I am (so far) outdoor lights free and indoor decorations free too ;) Not even touched a 16ft ladder yet alone had to climb up one :tu:

dilli-theclaw
13-12-2004, 20:17
You can all relax now....:D

I did it last night...

bopdude
13-12-2004, 20:20

I did it last night...
Very nice matey, at last :rolleyes: :D

Tricky
13-12-2004, 21:07

I did it last night...

Smart - Where did he get it from?

dilli-theclaw
13-12-2004, 21:09
Smart - Where did he get it from? Maplin.... :)

Chimaera
13-12-2004, 22:45
Is santa buying you an auto-focus camera for Christmas? :D Just kidding, nice tree by the look of it, thankfully this year I am (so far) outdoor lights free and indoor decorations free too ;) Not even touched a 16ft ladder yet alone had to climb up one :tu:

:batty: Yeah, just wait till the decorating is done and the new carpet is down - then you will be working overtime! And I have a nice long ladder in the garden and can order some nice 'tasteful' housebling to make you feel at home! :D
Can't be outchavved by the Joneses, can we? ;)

andy 1
16-12-2004, 19:13
Our tree HOW DARE YOU use me as your avatar.:)

andy 1
ps andy 1 is an alias i can't tell you who i really am, leave it, leave it and i don't want to know about tommy dickfingers either.lol

pps nice tree though the one we had at the phoenix club burnt down.(that den perry and his cigars);)

dilli-theclaw
23-12-2004, 14:23
I know it's off topic - but here is my latest creation (Which is a electronic dice - for the mother in law who wanted one)

andrew_wallasey
23-12-2004, 19:27
We had ours up for a while. 7foot ish tall with 800 YES 800 lights :D ill try and get a pic of it :)

Chimaera
23-12-2004, 19:42
Well due to circumstances beyond our control (bl**dy builders) we are still wallpapering! :Yikes: The tree is due to go up tomorrow, so if I'm still awake and sober by then I'll post a pic on here!
I hate being this dis-organised! :(

Theodoric
24-12-2004, 19:34
Well, here's ours in all it's glory. And a close run thing it was too. It's a fibre optic one which uses a 12V ac supply. So, of course, I couldn't find the transformer. Nothing available at the shop we bought it at, or any of the local electrical suppliers, or Maplins. Fortunately B&Q stock a 12 V transformer for use with garden lights; and a spare phone charger had a suitable plug that could be cannibalised. So, the lights are now powered by a transformer that has about 400% spare capacity which is linked to the lights using cable rated for about a quarter of the amperage needed (fortunately, it doesn't seem to get hot).

Maggy
24-12-2004, 22:31
Just done ours and I can't be a*sed to find the camera.I usually don't have do do it but my two children have gone into super Scrooge mood since they turned 16 so I couldn't find anyone else to do it.

Coggy has finally got her drink........ :D

homealone
24-12-2004, 23:13
Just done ours and I can't be a*sed to find the camera.I usually don't have do do it but my two children have gone into super Scrooge mood since they turned 16 so I couldn't find anyone else to do it.

Coggy has finally got her drink........ :D

have one for me, Incog, I'll return the favour :)

kronas
24-12-2004, 23:22
christmas is overrated :)

Matthew
24-12-2004, 23:36
I promise I will post a picture of mine up. My batteries for my camera have just been put on charge so I will take some pictures in the morning when I get up.

homealone
25-12-2004, 00:02
christmas is overrated :)

only if you expect too much ;)

Electrolyte01
25-12-2004, 00:13
only if you expect too much ;)
Exactly ;)

Matthew
25-12-2004, 11:39
Heres my tree. I took it first thing this morning when all the presents had been moved out the way. I'll try and get a better one later on.

Paul
25-12-2004, 15:08
This was the scene round our tree(s) this morning, after Santa had arrived, before the opening started. :)

iadom
26-12-2004, 14:07
Ours has a red & gold theme this year,

Maggy
26-12-2004, 16:24
I just went for the' what's in the box thats not broken or not too tatty' theme this year. :D

Paul K
26-12-2004, 20:08
Here's ours, nicely outfitted in an assortment of baubles, tinsel, beads etc by daughter number one ;)