PDA

View Full Version : NTL HELP PlZ

WingDings
05-12-2004, 21:32
hi, i have just had ntl broadband installed and the disk the yhave given my won't load up it coems up with the error :
cannot load CoreObjectsDLL.err msg:
cannot load the shared library:Workflow\Bin\CorObjects.DDR.dll.Error Code=999

what the hell doest his mean? lol, i have tried typing in run install.exe wit the correct drive name infront, and it comes up with that, when i g onto the disc, i can doiuble click the tutorial abotu setting up my modem and it works but nothign else can any one help me? i have rung there expensive 8-midnight number but nothing any help i would appreciate, also i have been told that u can set up b/band without the cd but the technicain said i needed it and the disc says i need it as well i am confused:confused:

Chris W
05-12-2004, 21:36
the expensive number is 0845 = locall rate

are you planning to install on USB or ethernet? and which version of windows?

WingDings
05-12-2004, 21:38
ethernet and windows xp, i was told by the technician not to plug the modem to the p.c can i do this? as i have been told u can install b/band without the cd

ian@huth
05-12-2004, 21:39
The only reason that you need the NTL CD is for the USB drivers if connecting by USB but it is far better to connect via ethernet. Have a look at Robin Walkers site for some very useful information about using NTL (or Telewest) broadband http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html

WingDings
05-12-2004, 22:38
another thing, how do i find out wheather i have a stand alone or set top box modem? as it is not on the box it came in, i will have to ring them tomorrw, and wait even longer for b/band:( :( , if anyone knows of a way to get round this, although i don't want to use the cd, i dont' want to mess my modem and p.c up by using the no-cd method as i am not the best of people with p.cs so if there any other suggestions i wld be very greatful

Raistlin
05-12-2004, 23:13
The set top box modems also provide your television, so if it is also connected to your tv then it is a set top box.

The stand alone ONLY provides internet for your pc and therefore isn't connected to your tv at all.

Raistlin
05-12-2004, 23:16
As for messing things up, I wouldn't worry.

Go to the site that has already been suggested and print out the pages that give info on installing the modem. The reason I say to print them is that you will lose access to the site for a little while.

Now just follow the instructions, one step at a time and to the letter, and you should be ok.

You will need the PIN number that was supplied to you and you will also need your account name.

I'm assuming that you are on dial-up at the moment? If you are, you should be aware that there is an option that asks you if you have an existing account, if you say yes it will ask for the details of that account. The registration process will close that dial-up account and transfer the settings etc across to you BB.

It's actually really straightforward, read through the instructions a couple of times and if there's anything that doesn't make sense just post back here before you get going.

WingDings
06-12-2004, 13:47
thxsto those who replied, i rang them up after and they told me how to do it with0out the cd as i did actually mess up the instructions lol, just wondering where can i get a speed test from? as i have downloaded a num,der of things now and for 750 b/band service, only ever rechead a maximum of 35 kbps download:confused:

ian@huth
06-12-2004, 14:03
thxsto those who replied, i rang them up after and they told me how to do it with0out the cd as i did actually mess up the instructions lol, just wondering where can i get a speed test from? as i have downloaded a num,der of things now and for 750 b/band service, only ever rechead a maximum of 35 kbps download:confused:

Have a look at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/9/how-can-i-test-the-speed-of-my-cable-modem

WingDings
06-12-2004, 21:13
ok the tes indicates i was dlin at 276kbps, nto 768kbps, although i have now realised that windows auto update was on at the time, does this rly affect it that much? n is there anyway to check on teh ntl site to see if i purchased teh rigth package?

JohnHorb
06-12-2004, 21:26
If Windows Update was downloading at the time, it WOULD affect the download speed test.

WingDings
06-12-2004, 22:00
ok i have stopped every internet activity, and infact the test shows it has gotten worse :S i don't know whats going on can any one tell me what is? or if ntl are having problems or its the plain fact that i have to call their expensie hotline again for 30 mins again :mad: beacuse this shldn't be happening, i dont' even download any where near 70kbps which my friend downloads well over and has the same service as me

Neil
06-12-2004, 22:25
ok i have stopped every internet activity, and infact the test shows it has gotten worse :S i don't know whats going on can any one tell me what is? or if ntl are having problems or its the plain fact that i have to call their expensie hotline again for 30 mins again :mad: beacuse this shldn't be happening, i dont' even download any where near 70kbps which my friend downloads well over and has the same service as me

The call is 0845 & charged at local rate.

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 22:37
IT could be any number of things:

The time of day (servers have peak times depending on their locations - just like roads)
The location of the server
The status of the server
How many people are accessing the server at the same time as you
If I were you I would spend the next three days running tests at different times of the day (morning / mid day / evening / late evening) and keep a log of the results. This should give you a better picture of what is actually going on.

It could be that the service in your area is just struggling a bit at the moment for some reason or other. Sometimes I get 70k, sometimes I get 25k and sometime I get 80-85k (I'm on 750k BB).

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 22:39
How's this for irony? My BB speed just dropped through the floor, it feels like I need to get out and push :D

homealone
06-12-2004, 22:42

assuming you have an ambit ntl:home modem, browse to

http://192.168.100.1

username & password are both admin

click on the 'operation configuration' link - what does it say for 'Maximum downstream data rate' ?

WingDings
06-12-2004, 23:11
ok i tried the site but it wont' find it so i don't now what else to do :S

homealone
06-12-2004, 23:17
ok i tried the site but it wont' find it so i don't now what else to do :S

what error message do you get?

WingDings
06-12-2004, 23:26
nothing it just says cannot find page

carlingman
06-12-2004, 23:28
nothing it just says cannot find page

Try http://192.168.100.1/ and the username and password as root and root.

:D

WingDings
06-12-2004, 23:30
nope still says cannot find server, all i knwo about my modem is that it is a ntl:200

Raistlin
06-12-2004, 23:33
If it's not finding the page then there's not going to be the option to put the u/name & p/word in.

Have you tried rebooting the CM?

Shut your PC down completely (START > TURN OFF COMPUTER > TURN OFF assuming you have XP installed).
Remove the power lead from the back of the CM, leave for three minutes and then put it back in.
Now wait until the two lights on the right hand side have stopped flashing.
Now turn your PC back on.

Now run the test again and see what results you get.

At this point you could also try getting to the modem config page again.

Tezcatlipoca
06-12-2004, 23:36
nope still says cannot find server, all i knwo about my modem is that it is a ntl:200

192.168.100.1 should work for the ntl:home modems (the Ambit modems) like yours.

Have a read of this & try its suggestions: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#nocmdiag

rdhw
07-12-2004, 11:59
nothing it just says cannot find pagePossibly this is because you have configured a web proxy, but have not also configured an exclusion for 192.168.*

If your PC has a web proxy configured, then unset the proxy configuration and try accessing the cable modem again.