PDA

View Full Version : Retaining cable phone number

eshaq786
05-12-2004, 20:27
well i posted this in the telewest section but no one replied. maybe because this forum is full of ntl subscribers. well here is what i posted.

I currently have telewest telephone and broadband package. Bulldog will unbundle my exchange in 2005 and i was planning on moving to them but at the same time keeping my current phone number. I was wondering if keeping my phone number is possible since the bulldog FAQ says that its gonna take up to 6 months but it isnt clear as to if i can move the phone number or not. Please can someone who works for Telewest find out if moving phone numbers is possible. And can someone from NTL who can find out what would NTL do in this sort of situation.

hopefully someone will reply.

ian@huth
05-12-2004, 20:33
Have a look at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing_numbering/numbers/num_port_info/?a=87101

eshaq786
05-12-2004, 21:16
could u summarise all that info for me please. theres too much stuff and i dont know where to look for the answer.

andrew_wallasey
08-01-2005, 20:50
You can but why would you want to use bulldog?

MovedGoalPosts
08-01-2005, 21:12
As far as I'm aware, assuming your phone number is currently based on a geographic exhange such as 01234 and you are staying in that same area of 01234 you shoudl be able to move telco retaining that same number. Effectively your phone number is issued by the telcosof BT, ntl, Telewest (and one or two small local telcos). Bulldog and others may work by unbundling the local loop, but even so the same provision of porting the phone number is retained if you stay on that same geographic area.

There is a probablility that the system won't be quite fast enough in moving your number from one telco's network to another. If so you might end up with a temporary number for a few weeks so at least you have a phone service, with the inevitable interruptions in phone and any other telco based service as things are switched.

eshaq786
08-01-2005, 23:07
You can but why would you want to use bulldog?
Bulldog do 4mbit plus phone line with unlimited calls for £40 a month which is more value for money than what i currently have. However i will see what develops during 2005 so i just wanted to know if it was possible to move to bulldog and still keep the same number.

andrew_wallasey
09-01-2005, 02:56
Yes but bulldogs service is rubbish. it is not always to do with the price.

eshaq786
09-01-2005, 21:38
Bulldogs service is excellent according to several friends of mines located all over the country who use their ADSL service and a few friends in London who has the phone and 4mb service.

andrew_wallasey
10-01-2005, 23:27
Bulldogs service is excellent according to several friends of mines located all over the country who use their ADSL service and a few friends in London who has the phone and 4mb service.

Having worked with bulldog I can assure you is it far from anything excellent. Just read user reports on ADSLguide forum.

In fact I would say compared with cable, ADSL is a pretty crap technology. I would never go back to using ADSL if I could avoid it. Im moving over to Liverpool in the summer so im going to get 4mbps off Telewest.

atlantic-crossin
22-01-2005, 01:50
I work for Telewest its not always the price and speed you need to look at but you also need to find out what is the reliability of the service, do you have to pay for the modem from them, installation charges and download limitations as certain providers cap their broadband usage.

Telewest does not cap any of its broadband services even our lowest speed (256kps)

as per keeping your phone line....
Yes you can do what you would need to do is call customer care on 150 (or 0845 142 000 if existing customer or sales on 0800 953 0002 if not) and we can keep your no on the basis that it is in the same geographical area (Dialing code area)
and it must be an active phone number if you have cancelled your line with your current service provider you will not be able to transfer your number to your new address and you will need to have your current account details from your service provider

eshaq786
22-01-2005, 13:49
I wanted to once transfer a telephone number from one house with telewest to another house with telewest not yet installed but i was told i cannot do a telewest to telewest number transfer. The house was in the same geographical area, hell it was just down the road. But for some wierd reason the person i spoke to told me it wasnt possible so i just gave up and i didnt mind since i got several introductory offers. So is it possible to transfer telewest number and use it in a new installation of a telewest line elsewhere(same geographic area)?

atlantic-crossin
23-01-2005, 05:13
I totally understand what your saying,
However the DHT (Greenbox on the street) can be assigned to a different network within Telewest.
Example:
AV1 = 1st Region of Avon (Bristol area) could be 01479
AV2 = 2nd Region of Avon (Bristol area) could be 01478
Then you have more information that is held for instance the Strand and Pair no

If they do not match on the following street then it is not possible to transfer the telephone number, certain areas also have old equipment which is not digital but analogue which is a total new chapter as to wether it can be brough over

Hopefully I have been able to shed some light on the situation for you

Andrex
04-02-2005, 13:15
I totally understand what your saying,
However the DHT (Greenbox on the street) can be assigned to a different network within Telewest.
Example:
AV1 = 1st Region of Avon (Bristol area) could be 01479
AV2 = 2nd Region of Avon (Bristol area) could be 01478

If the customer is transfering OUT of Telewest, this isn't a problem. The transfer is almost certainly possible.

I used to admin Number Portability at Telewest.

If you have any problem, post. It takes around 7 days lead time to get a number ported to/from BT.

injuneer
05-02-2005, 20:01
Having worked with bulldog I can assure you is it far from anything excellent. Just read user reports on ADSLguide forum.

In fact I would say compared with cable, ADSL is a pretty crap technology. I would never go back to using ADSL if I could avoid it. Im moving over to Liverpool in the summer so im going to get 4mbps off Telewest.

Bulldog is now owned by Cable & Wireless and I can tell you they are throwing a lot of money at Bulldog at the moment. A lot of C&W engineers are working flat out installing new fibre links etc across the country.

atlantic-crossin
08-02-2005, 02:07
If the customer is transfering OUT of Telewest, this isn't a problem. The transfer is almost certainly possible.

I used to admin Number Portability at Telewest.

If you have any problem, post. It takes around 7 days lead time to get a number ported to/from BT.

That would be right if the person is trying to port in a number from BT however the person is trying to do a simple no transfer from one street to the next from Telewest to Telewest as mentioned in my previous post it is not always possible due to the switch board it self, and also due to capasity in the box not all telewest customers are able to have phone installed with other services (very very small amount but the case can occur one or two times). in this case im more than positive it would be due to the switch ID, strand and pairs not matching the one from the street the person is currently living at making it not possible to complete the no transfer

Andrex
10-02-2005, 02:33
That would be right if the person is trying to port in a number from BT however the person is trying to do a simple no transfer from one street to the next from Telewest to Telewest
The customer isn't moving house, though - they want to transfer their service to Bulldog.