PDA

View Full Version : Norton Personal Firewall 2002

Mal
24-08-2003, 00:50
What a pile of sh**e that is!

I upgraded to windows xp in July, everything went okay apart from when I tried to put the firewall on. Even though xp is a supported os, it just didn't want to cooperate. I think I've uninstalled/re-installed it a total of 10 times since then.

I thought it was okay after the initial problem, but then I found it was leaving a port open. It kept crashing when I tried to block it. Reinstalled and it solved that problem, but then I found out that the function which allows you to block or allow internet access was actually alllowing everything regardless. Another install. :mad: This was friday.

Everything seemed okay. But wait a minute! The firewall then decided to block everything from accessing the internet. I know I want to surf safely, but this is a bit extreme. So another install.

For some people, it's ntl or microsoft they hate. For me, it's Symantec. :2up: :2up:

For obvious reasons, I want a new firewall.

Zonealarm pro is an option. Can anyone tell me if this gives you regular security updates like Norton does?

I know Symantec are releasing NPF 2004 at the end of September, so this is also a contender, because it may be miles better.

Anyways, Norton Personal Firewall 2002: :2up: :2up:

Maggy
24-08-2003, 01:25
Zone Alarm Pro gives regular updates.However not everyone gets on with it.It depends on what other software you may have that may cause conflicts.
I have no problems on the whole unless I get a freeze up.Then Zone Alarm Pro may refuse to work.However a simple reboot always fixes it.It's that damned True Monitor that causes problems.

Incog:)

Mal
24-08-2003, 23:49
Well everything seems to be okay now, but will it last?

Mal
25-08-2003, 22:59
I spoke too soon....:mad:

The firewall today decides to allow access to programs regardless to whether the rules say it should be blocked or not.

So I say "Fine" download Zonealarm and uninstall Norton.

Then I find something strange about my pc. It must not like having all these rules and firewalls stopping it from being "free".

Zonealarm keeps saying to me "system error, please reboot". I reboot and the same message next time, etc...

Same thing after a few uninstalls/reinstalls. So I'm back using Norton. :mad: At least that seems to be stopping incoming stuff, (according to Gibson Research Corporation anyway).

Question....

Has anyone else had this problem?

A link to previous thread which showed the start of my problems (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1092)

Shaun
25-08-2003, 23:05
Gibson research stuff is normally right, have you tried to ring e-mail symantec?

I get on fine with it, are you using their anti-virus too?

Mal
25-08-2003, 23:08
I might have to get onto symantec. I use both nav & npf. It used to be okay until I got xp.

Shaun
25-08-2003, 23:32
I've just looked and I'm using Norton 2003 for Xp.

I have also come across this:

'also make sure the Norton version is correct, needs to be
2002 for XP' :erm:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20294638.html

MikeyB
25-08-2003, 23:38
I had problems with Zonealarm ever since I had XP Pro.

After trying several other, settled for Sygate, what's more it's free.

It passes the tests on Gibson Research :)

Maggy
25-08-2003, 23:39
Don't forget some firewalls may not 'get on' with another firewall software.Did you totally uninstall Norton?

Incog.

Mal
26-08-2003, 00:06
Originally posted by dellwear
I've just looked and I'm using Norton 2003 for Xp.

I have also come across this:

'also make sure the Norton version is correct, needs to be
2002 for XP' :erm:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20294638.html
Thanks for the link. The virus test was clean. I've sent an email to symantec & hopefully they will be able to help.

Originally posted by Incognitas
Don't forget some firewalls may not 'get on' with another firewall software.Did you totally uninstall Norton?

Incog.

I uninstalled norton before I tried Zonealarm and vice versa.

MadGamer
27-08-2003, 14:02
Try un installing and re installing the program, it might just be a simple fault.

Mal
27-08-2003, 18:49
Originally posted by WNA
Try un installing and re installing the program, it might just be a simple fault.
Please see below......:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mal
Same thing after a few uninstalls/reinstalls. So I'm back using Norton. :mad: At least that seems to be stopping incoming stuff, (according to Gibson Research Corporation anyway).

I have had a response (if you can call it that) from Symantec. Here it is:

" Hello Lee,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

In your message, you wrote:
> When I've reinstalled it, it went back to allowing everything access. Things seem okay now, but I'm a bit worried about it happening again.

Lee, I understand your concern in this regard. It is possible that the firewall rules of Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) were corrupt. Performing a reinstallation, resolved this issue.

If you do face issues with Norton Personal Firewall in future, please get back to us, we will be glad to assist you."

I did mention to them that I have performed the reinstallation a few times and it didn't solve it for very long.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well, another email is on its way to them.

Rara Avis
27-08-2003, 19:38
Mal, I have no heartening news for you. I installed Nortons Firewall about 6 months ago and that was even after I'd read complaint after complaint on the net from users whose systems kept crashing or freezing thanks to the firewall. You are NOT alone. Mine had only been installed 5 minutes before everything seized and I thought 'here goes....' however, after a couple of reinstalls it seemed to have settled. If you do a quick user search for that particular firewall I think you'll find that many people have been unable to continue using it because it seems to be incompatible with certain elements of their setup or programs already installed. I can't speak for XP but then again, that is ALSO notorious for being 'sensitive' to certain types of software.
I now have ZoneAlarmsPro. So far so good. Excellent in fact :D
Totally stealthed, reliable and no incompatiblities. For now ;)
I'm not sure you or symantec will find anything specific that's contributing to your problem. It seems to be quite a common issue. Sorry mate.
Keep at it and let us know if you get anything more postitive from symantec. I for one would like to know what their answer is.
Good luck :tu:

Mal
27-08-2003, 19:51
Thing is, it has been reliable for two years on windows ME. It's not something I've just got. That's the annoying part.

Rara Avis
27-08-2003, 20:45
At the risk of stating the obvious and you telling me to butt out, have you tried the knowledge base on the Symantec site?
From what I've seen of it in the past, it doesn't cover every eventuality but may have something that relates to you :shrug:
Nortons is cool though, if you can get it sorted, it's well worth sticking with, even if you don't have any hair on your head by the end of it.

Edit. Forget that. Just had a quick look at the knowledge base and it's not going to help you. Think you've got all the stuff on there sussed already.

Mal
27-08-2003, 21:21
The thing is I cannot find a description for the problem to put in the search.

Like I said before, I have had no problems before with it, in nearly 2 years use.

What annoyed me was that the online support didn't even give any suggestions for a solution.

Oh well.

MadGamer
30-08-2003, 19:54
If there are any files missing you usually get a message explaining the problem. If this is the case write down EXACTLY what you see on screen then inform Symantec via e mail.