PDA

View Full Version : plumbing shower controller ,,,

markmarkymark
05-12-2004, 13:22
YO all..

We have an older shower. It consists of just one knob in the wall of the tiles, as you turn the knob the water starts and as you continue turning it is supposed to get warmer and warmer .... its never been right its always too cold ...

We are going to get a new shower soon, but in the meatime I'm trying to make things better.....

So I have had to add some 'descaler' to the little side hole in the knob in order to see whats holding it on - I think its a grub screw with a alan key end .... Once its off , what next ... what adustments will I expect ?

cheers

MArk

homealone
05-12-2004, 13:39
hi

how is the hot water getting to the shower - gravity fed from a tank, from a gas boiler, or from a pressurised feed such as a combi boiler?

The thing is, if the 'head' of hot water is not very high on a gravity fed system, the cold water (which is pressurised) can effectively block/restrict the flow of hot, at the point where they meet to be mixed.

markmarkymark
05-12-2004, 14:21
Thanks gaz

Actually the pressure is rubbish and we will get a power system installed. I think the hot water is gravity fed only. If you look at the top of the shower head it can only be say 50cms from the bottom of the hot water tank and perhaps 150 cms from the top. The head pressure is not great at all.

thx

MArk

homealone
05-12-2004, 14:31
Thanks gaz

Actually the pressure is rubbish and we will get a power system installed. I think the hot water is gravity fed only. If you look at the top of the shower head it can only be say 50cms from the bottom of the hot water tank and perhaps 150 cms from the top. The head pressure is not great at all.

thx

MArk

I reckon that is the reason for the problem you are having. You could try a booster pump on the hot water, or a type of mixer that incorporates a thermostat. A booster pump works fine in our holiday chalet, where the tank is actually below the shower head.

A replacement with a 'power' shower electrically heated just off the cold water supply is an option, of course, but likely to be more expensive. Are there any plumbers near you who would discuss your options for free?

Raistlin
05-12-2004, 15:12
homealone:

Any idea how easy it would be to fit one of those boosters?

I take it that they just sit inline between the tank and the offending tap? Would I be right in thinking that they will need a seperate 240v supply to run?

The reason that I ask is that the flat that I live in now has one of those showers which just fits over the taps. Obviously, being a flat, the difference in height between the tap and the tank is next to nothing. And, as you say, the cold water pressure completely kills the hot water supply to the shower head.

I'm having to get up an hour earlier than normal in the mornings just so I can have a bath.

Cheers,

Raist.

homealone
05-12-2004, 15:31
homealone:

Any idea how easy it would be to fit one of those boosters?

I take it that they just sit inline between the tank and the offending tap? Would I be right in thinking that they will need a seperate 240v supply to run?

The reason that I ask is that the flat that I live in now has one of those showers which just fits over the taps. Obviously, being a flat, the difference in height between the tap and the tank is next to nothing. And, as you say, the cold water pressure completely kills the hot water supply to the shower head.

I'm having to get up an hour earlier than normal in the mornings just so I can have a bath.

Cheers,

Raist.

Hi Raist - first thing I should say is I am not a plumber, so I'm talking 'of the top of my head' here ;)

Theoretically you would want to fit the booster on the pipe leading to the bath hot tap, only. The pump itself does need a 240V feed, but I'm not sure how much current it would draw.

From my recollection of the pump in the chalet, it is about 18" long & 8" high, so 'how easy' to fit will depend on space/accessibility. It basically replaces a section of the existing pipe & incorporates a flow detection switch which turns it on when you turn on the hot tap.

If you are familiar with working with compression joints, fitting should be relatively straight forward - but I am unsure if you are allowed to use compression fittings on a hot water supply. (soldered joints are best left to a professional, imo). The pump housing should also be bolted down, somehow, to prevent vibration loosening the joints.

:)

markmarkymark
05-12-2004, 17:04
thanks all....

Well I have learned a lot. I was intending to take the knob off in order to 'adjust' the thermostat ... but from the info given it looks like I would be wasting my time.

Finding a plumber to do a small job is harder than I thought!!

chow

MArk

Escapee
05-12-2004, 19:03
I have one of the power showers with cold water only, it's still cheaper than using the immersion heater for a bath if the fire is out.

Plumbers are a nightmare to get these days, and they have a licence to print money. Corgi registered plumbers are very hard to come by.

I understand that next year you will not be able to buy a gas boiler/combi unless you are Corgi registered, also heard you will not be able to carry out any wiring on your own home unless you are 16th edition qualified.

Brussels again apparently :mad:

SMHarman
05-12-2004, 21:01
If you want a booster pump I can send you one. An aqualisa 1.5 bar. Full working order when removed from system 29 months ago (system replaced with megaflow)
Will cost you the postage though its heavy.

zoombini
06-12-2004, 13:31
Corgi registered plumbers are very hard to come by.

I found 2 at the weekend, but they did excersize thier printing rights :D

I understand that next year you will not be able to buy a gas boiler/combi unless you are Corgi registered, also heard you will not be able to carry out any wiring on your own home unless you are 16th edition qualified.

O poo.

Still, won't stop me from wiring my house, nor the wholesalers seling the wire & sockets etc.
Most likely there will still be many outlets selling boilers etc.

Being Corgi qualified is not all it's supposed to be, I had 3 stumped for a repair on my boiler, fixed it myself as they could not even diagnose the fault.

SMHarman
06-12-2004, 14:02
I have one of the power showers with cold water only, it's still cheaper than using the immersion heater for a bath if the fire is out.

Plumbers are a nightmare to get these days, and they have a licence to print money. Corgi registered plumbers are very hard to come by.

yesman provided a though post on the 16th edition in this thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=20730&page=5&highlight=electrician

here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=352396&postcount=71

Being Corgi qualified is not all it's supposed to be, I had 3 stumped for a repair on my boiler, fixed it myself as they could not even diagnose the fault.
It's more of a safety qualification, than a commonsense ability to diagnose and fault find qualification IMHO, so this could well be the case, especially with the level of electronics in the average boiler these days.