PDA

View Full Version : Nice!!

Paul K
05-12-2004, 02:08
Link (http://newyorkpost.com/news/regionalnews/32453.htm)

The wife of Mega Millionaire Juan Rodriguez has filed for divorce, demanding her slice of the $149 million jackpot †” even before the check has been cut to her hubby.

Iris Rodriguez never bothered with the expense of the divorce when Juan was worth a whole lotta nothing, neighbors and friends told The Post.

She had kicked her husband out after months of bickering over how broke he was. But she had started a reconciliation with him just before he won.

Now Iris sees a chance to cash in and get out of the marriage, neighbors said.

Since the couple have been married for nearly two decades, a judge could grant her half of his winnings in the divorce.
Nice to know that the lawyers in the good ol USA don't bother waiting for the ink to dry before they pounce ;)

Paul
05-12-2004, 02:09
I expect they would be just as quick over here .....

Paul K
05-12-2004, 02:13
I expect they would be just as quick over here .....
Surely not :angel: it's not as though we are facing the same lawsuit lifestyle over here :erm:

punky
05-12-2004, 02:38
I am not sure what the lawyers have to do with it. They don't go round asking people: "Do you want a divorce? Well how about you then?" etc. It was the woman who wanted a divorce and went to the lawyers.

Nidge
05-12-2004, 10:04
She kicked him out though so in my eyes she doesn't get anything.

Russ
05-12-2004, 10:09
Women, eh? Not interested in money at all, are they?? :D

Not sure how the wacky laws work in yankeeland but surely he has to agree to the divorce as well?

MetaWraith
05-12-2004, 10:43
Not a chance of that sort of lawsuit action in Saudi Arabia where a man can divorce his wife on just his say so.

As reported on Ananova (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1195643.html), a Saudi man divorced his wife after she insisted on waiting 13 hours at an airport for a flight that kept being delayed.

From one extreme to the other eh ?

Escapee
05-12-2004, 12:01
Not a chance of that sort of lawsuit action in Saudi Arabia where a man can divorce his wife on just his say so.

As reported on Ananova (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1195643.html), a Saudi man divorced his wife after she insisted on waiting 13 hours at an airport for a flight that kept being delayed.

From one extreme to the other eh ?

Isn't there big problems with these foreign marraiges/divorces in this country?

I seem to recall reading recently that many divorces conducted in Asian/middle east countries are not legally binding in this country, but the marraige is.

Apparently many Asians who come to this country to marry are commiting bigamy, because their foreign country divorce is not legally recognised here.

PS: I think there was a case recently where a guy divorced his wife via email!!!!!

punky
05-12-2004, 16:52
Not sure how the wacky laws work in yankeeland but surely he has to agree to the divorce as well?

I don't know if it is the same in the US but in the UK you can actually divorce and the degree absolute without an agreed financial settlement.

paulyoung666
05-12-2004, 16:59
is this the woman that took the bloke back after she found out he had won the lottery ??????? , no flies on her then :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: