PDA

View Full Version : A Xmas Topic - Buying CDs

Theodoric
04-12-2004, 22:14
It's the same every year; where's the best place to buy all those CDs for presents? Do you go to your local W H Smiths, or Amazon, or what? So, here's an example. The first 3 on my list (not for me, I might add) are:

1) The Christmas Album - Aled Jones
2) The Best Christmas Carols ... Ever
3) Katherine Jenkins Premiere

a) The local W H Smith. £12.99 each or £5 off 2. So, I could get 2 of them for £10.49 and 1 for £12.99.

b) Amazon. No 1 at £9.99 and the other 2 at £12.99 each. No p&p if I can get the total over £25.

c) HMV Internet site - No 1 £11.99, No 2 £13.99 & No 3 £9.99. And p&p in addition.

d) CD WOW! - Recommended by a younger relative. Not one of the 3 available - obviously not a site for old fogies!

So, what is recommended? Or is it, as I am coming to suspect, that there really aren't any serious savings worth the effort of chasing?

PS I did a forum search on CDs before posting. I think that I'm in the clear from the duplication police. :)

bopdude
04-12-2004, 22:18
Think i saw an advert for TESCO'S they have 20% 0r so off the price of dvd's and cd's IIRC,

Aragorn
04-12-2004, 22:20
Personally, I would check out my local Asda (if you have one near) or Tesco. Both do chart CD's for £9.97, the rest cheaper (unless their double CD's).

Otherwise www.Play.Com have some decent prices and free delivery.

HTH

Theodoric
04-12-2004, 22:24
Yes, it might be worthwhile looking in the local supermarkets. The real problem is finding a single place (on past experience, my list will range from light classical through mainstream to (yechhh!) Rap. It does make life much simpler if you can get the lot in one fell swoop.

Damien
04-12-2004, 22:48
Amazon are the best!

Cheap
All in one place
They can wrap it up for you!!!! :D

homealone
04-12-2004, 22:53
Yes, it might be worthwhile looking in the local supermarkets. The real problem is finding a single place (on past experience, my list will range from light classical through mainstream to (yechhh!) Rap. It does make life much simpler if you can get the lot in one fell swoop.

give them vouchers, my brother has given me a virgin voucher for too many years to remember - I can make my own mind up then ;)

Theodoric
04-12-2004, 23:02
Amazon are the best!

Cheap
All in one place
They can wrap it up for you!!!! :D

danielf
04-12-2004, 23:52
I agee with Damien. Generally, I find Amazon best, and cheaper than the high street shops. Also, as you mention that the sort of cds you're after varies a lot, I find the high street shops aren't very good when it comes to the less popular titles. I find that Amazon stock far more titles than your average high street shop (including HMV/Virgin), and is often cheaper than HMV/Virgin online.

One thing to consider though: depending on the title, prices at amazon.co.uk, and amazon.com may vary quite a bit. Titles from American artists can be a bit lower at amazon.com (though you want to check out the postage)