PDA

View Full Version : Slight problem

Paul K
04-12-2004, 20:40
Hi guys, am currently in sunny peterborough lol looking at my sisters' pc. For some reason when you launch a browser it sends you to the provisioning screen but when you hit the button to start login it stalls and times out.
The strange thing is that you can point the browser to various pages but for some reason if you point it to the bbb site it tries to provision again.
I'm running a spyware and virus sweep at the moment as they had a few nasties lurking and I'll reboot and try again in a minute but any ideas as to what is going on?

Chris W
04-12-2004, 20:45
try clearing all of the temporary internet files and all cookies.

Also if her ip starts with 10 then she needs to complete provisioning, if not then a reboot will probably bring normal service back :)

Paul K
04-12-2004, 20:55
LOL sorry MB, I've already looked at that and the IP is a normal 80. IP and the cache has been cleared. For some reason the lsass.exe process seems to be taking a lot of connections, wonder if the pc has been compromised :(

Chris W
04-12-2004, 21:10
doubt it!

try ipconfig /flushdns at the command prompt.

also if you release and renew the ip address does it come back exactly the same? on usb or ethernet?

Paul K
04-12-2004, 21:40
Connection by ethernet, via stb so same IP address when release/ renew is done , flush done and same results.
The reason I mention the lssas.exe problem as there is a trojan that drops a file on your system that has that name, it's supposed to fool you into thinking that it's the lsass.exe file.

Paul K
04-12-2004, 22:05
Problem solved, turned out that the firewall had thrashed it's rules table and no matter what you did it was blocking the internet connection from working correctly. I've removed it, deleted it's setting and re-loaded it all again and everything is fine.... and people wonder why I always ask about firewalls lol ;)

homealone
04-12-2004, 22:58
Problem solved, turned out that the firewall had thrashed it's rules table and no matter what you did it was blocking the internet connection from working correctly. I've removed it, deleted it's setting and re-loaded it all again and everything is fine.... and people wonder why I always ask about firewalls lol ;)

glad you got it sorted :)

greencreeper
04-12-2004, 23:13
I was reading that British Tobacco are rolling out Sygate to enforce security across their network. At no point did I read anything about taking on extra staff to deal with the hundreds of support calls that will surely come from using Sygate - it's guaranteed to fail to update or become corrupted, leading to some VERY weird behaviour. Firewalls huh :D