PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem questions

Abstract
04-12-2004, 18:42
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so, hello there!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i've just moved over to the stand-alone cable modem (SACM) from a set-top box, and i was wondering a few things...

1. I've seen the sticky thread on how to install the cable modem without the broadjump CD, but hasn't the CD got the cable modem drivers on it that you need installed?

2. How hot can the cable modem get? because mine's very hot atm. Does it need a fan or lots of ventilation?

3. Is it alright to have my cable modem on top of my PC with my router on top of the cable modem? Air-flow, etc.

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers.

Jim

homealone
04-12-2004, 18:58
Hi Jim :welcome: to Cable Forum, I hope we can help you out :)

1. You only need the drivers installed if you connect via USB, if you connect via ethernet to a network card, you don't need them. Ethernet is by far the preferred method of connection.

2. They can get quite hot, but are designed to be on 24/7 so if adequately ventilated, should be ok. Don't think you'll need a fan though ;)

3. I have my SACM on tp of my pc, with no problems, however I wouldn't advise putting the router on top of the modem.

hth :)

Raistlin
04-12-2004, 21:21
Hi Jim

First things first :welcome: !!

Secondly, as abstract has already said, I wouldn't stack the router on top of the SACM.

Individually, the three items (PC, Router and SACM) have enough cooling to cope with the heat that they generate but when they're put in close proximity to each other the amount of heat around them increases exponentially and the built in cooling can't cope.

Raist.

Abstract
05-12-2004, 11:19
OK, thanks very much.

I connect via ethernet anyway so i'm alright.

I've now got my router on top of my PC, like i did have before i got my cable modem because my router doesn't get very hot at all. And i've got my cable modem on my desk.

All sorted, thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Jim

Raistlin
05-12-2004, 13:41
np. glad we could be of assistance :D