PDA

View Full Version : clinical trials

Dave Stones
03-12-2004, 15:55
you know, the things where you go into hospital for a couple of days, and get given money to try out radical new treatments (phase 1 trials i think they are called). anyway, has anyone ever taken part in any?

i am seriously looking into this to do my bit for humankind, and make a swift buck too ;)

i could make £20 a time being a sperm donor, but... no...:erm:

Bifta
03-12-2004, 16:02
you know, the things where you go into hospital for a couple of days, and get given money to try out radical new treatments (phase 1 trials i think they are called). anyway, has anyone ever taken part in any?

i am seriously looking into this to do my bit for humankind, and make a swift buck too ;)

Didn't Russ do them at some point?

Dave Stones
03-12-2004, 16:05
did he? i don't know... :erm:

Jon M
03-12-2004, 16:06
he was a hair donor IIRC

homealone
03-12-2004, 16:07
Hi Dave - a few ideas in the link

http://www.jobsearch.co.uk/search.cgi?k=volunteers%20japanese%20trial%20medic al%20caucasian&n=219_8&cat=20%2C40&t=temp_contract&a=84

:)

danielf
03-12-2004, 16:11

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8533

Edit: yeah yeah. fixed :)

Jon M
03-12-2004, 16:12
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php
eh? typo/mispaste ?

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2004, 16:13

You could make money hand over fist! :)

Jon M
03-12-2004, 16:14
thankyou for your cheque, here's your coat.. now get out ;) :D

Dave Stones
03-12-2004, 16:14
ho ho ho :dozey: they capped it so you could only donate once a week. i don't know of anyone in the uni that actually admitted ****ing for money.... :disturbd:

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2004, 16:16
ho ho ho :dozey: they capped it so you could only donate once a week.

That sounds painful!

Actually it's something that I would have to think twice about these days, (as I did think about it when I was younger) - since they are planning on removing the privacy laws for donators - so 20 years down the line a whole flock of little love monkeys could turn up on my door step wanting to know their 'dad'.

Dave Stones
03-12-2004, 16:18
That sounds painful!

Actually it's something that I would have to think twice about these days, (as I did think about it when I was younger) - since they are planning on removing the privacy laws for donators - so 20 years down the line a whole flock of little love monkeys could turn up on my door step wanting to know their 'dad'.
yeah i think thats why a lot of people didnt volunteer. it said that it wouldnt be used to create embryos/kids/blobs of jelly with a brain etc etc, but everyone has their doubts about how honest the uni are ;)

cauterizing would be more painful than a cap... or some sort of iron maiden device... :erm:

Shaun
03-12-2004, 16:34
monkeys

You shouldn't be mentioning that word on here!!!! :erm:

*goes and hides :D

Russ
03-12-2004, 17:35
Yep, I've done a few, what ya wanna know?

greencreeper
03-12-2004, 19:40
Bit risky isn't it? :erm:

Russ
03-12-2004, 21:50
Not really! :)

Ramrod
03-12-2004, 21:55
i could make £20 a time being a sperm donor, but... no...:erm:Why not?.....you get free pron and a free plastic cup :DNot really! :)Yea right! Thats why they are trials :disturbd:

Russ
03-12-2004, 22:06
The company I go to, they've been in business since 1989 and in that time, the worst side effect anyone has had from them was flu-like symptoms.

Ramrod
03-12-2004, 22:16
The company I go to, they've been in business since 1989 and in that time, the worst side effect anyone has had from them was flu-like symptoms.Thats nice.........keep rolling the dice....... :erm:

Russ
03-12-2004, 22:23
Thats nice.........keep rolling the dice....... :erm:

Right.... let's clear up a few things!

I can't speak for other trials, but the ones I went on were not 'new drugs', they were established medications taken at different doses. For example, if the maximum dosage of paracetamol within a 4 hour period is 500mg, at the study we would be given say, 550mg. Now you're not going to die if you exeed the maximum amount by 1mg, so they increase the dose slightly to see how the body responds.

Now if it was a case of "we've seen what it does to animals, let's see what it does to humans" then yes I'd be put off.

SMHarman
03-12-2004, 22:28
Right.... let's clear up a few things!

I can't speak for other trials, but the ones I went on were not 'new drugs', they were established medications taken at different doses. For example, if the maximum dosage of paracetamol within a 4 hour period is 500mg, at the study we would be given say, 550mg. Now you're not going to die if you exeed the maximum amount by 1mg, so they increase the dose slightly to see how the body responds.

Now if it was a case of "we've seen what it does to animals, let's see what it does to humans" then yes I'd be put off.
To take a drug to phase 1 human trials is a big step, the company has gone through alot of FDA or whatever the UK equivilant approval is to get to that position, so you can be fairly confident that the drug should be safe, tests have to start somewhere.

punky
03-12-2004, 23:04
Blimey, are things that bad? I thought it was a cliche that students were that poor - you have to submit yourself to medical testing? :) :jk:

I would donate sperm, but it worries me that as the kid's biological father, I am still legally responsible, regardless of what anyone says, or what I sign? Nothing is ever 100% anonymous, and could cause a lot of trouble. If I just deny it and hide under the confidentiality blanket, can they force me to give a DNA sample for testing, and then on a match, have to provide like any other biological father?