PDA

View Full Version : free condom with dinner!

kronas
02-12-2004, 21:53
AIDS prevention expert Mechai Viravaidya has an idea he wants to bring to australians, a free condom with their dinner, the man from asia is plotting to bring the scheme to the aussies in an attempt to stop AIDS from spreading.

the scheme was a sucess in thailand where AIDS is common.

Australia needed its share of rubber, he said. :p:

Condoms are freely available at the restaurant and sex education tools are on hand. Don't expect waiters to go into detail but Dr Viravaidya said if anyone doesn't know how to use a condom, someone will show them.

source: news.com.au

i could not resist posting it :p:

Macca371
02-12-2004, 22:04
I think a big help in the fight against AIDS was if the sillier religious groups, i.e. the Catholic Church, would allow the use of condoms instead of promoting abstinence. Sex is not evil and dirty like the church claims it to be, people are going to have it, it's in our nature, so you might aswell promote the use of contraception/protection if people are going to have it. This would be a huge step. It annoys me that they are not bringing Christianity into the 21st Century.

EDIT: Whoopsie, probably made yet another thread into a relgious argument, ah well

Russ
02-12-2004, 22:21
Sex is not evil and dirty like the church claims it to be,

The Catholic church has never suggested that.

Earl of Bronze
02-12-2004, 22:35

Not sure about that Russ, but the arrogant morons in the catholic church do like to scare the crap out of ignorant people all over the third world. The 'research' they released earlire this year into condoms giving no protection to the spread of aids is a monumental disgrace. The church painted itself into a corner concerning contraception and eugenics. Decades later with the epidemic of Aids in the Third World, they now say ''Abstain'', wait until youre married, but never ever use a condom. And the poor brainwashed barstewards in the third world do. If it was any other organisation retarding humanity, they would end up in the Hague on charges of genocid. :afire: :2up: :fit: :rant:

P.S. - Russ, this rant wasnt aimed at you. :o

Russ
02-12-2004, 22:38
There may have been people within Catholicism who've suggested that but it's not a Vatican policy to view it that way.

And I know the rant wasn't aimed at me :)

Theodoric
02-12-2004, 22:59
Sex is not evil and dirty like the church claims it to be,

However, St Augustine, one of the Fathers of the Church, taught somewhat along these lines. I've just done a bit of quick searching to refresh my memory and found:

Augustine taught that procreation was the only non-sinful end of the sex act. He taught that if a couple has sexual relations for pleasure, then it was venially sinful. His precise words, from "On the Goods of Marriage" are:

"Marital intercourse for the sake of procreation has no fault attached to it, but for the satisfying of lust, even with one's husband or wife, for the faith of the bed, is venially sinful; but adultery or fornication is mortally sinful. Moreover, continence from all intercourse is even better than marital intercourse itself, even if it takes place for the sake of procreation. But even though continence is better, to pay the dues of marriage is no crime, but to demand it beyond the necessity of procreation is a venial sin, although fornication and adultery are mortally sinful."

Theodoric
02-12-2004, 23:08
AIDS prevention expert Mechai Viravaidya has an idea he wants to bring to australians, a free condom with their dinner, the man from asia is plotting to bring the scheme to the aussies in an attempt to stop AIDS from spreading.

the scheme was a sucess in thailand where AIDS is common.

:p:

source: news.com.au

i could not resist posting it :p:
So, with the
spray-on contraceptive (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=20928) as well, can we expect the population of Australia to fall dramatically over the next few years? :)

Russ
02-12-2004, 23:09
It's not something the Vatican now preaches anyway.

Theodoric
02-12-2004, 23:15
It's not something the Vatican now preaches anyway.
True. However it does raise an interesting point, namely using statements along the lines that Christian doctrine is unchangeable and eternal as a method of arguing against some particular change (ordination of women priests springs to mind) should be taken with a certain pinch of salt.

gary_580
02-12-2004, 23:18

Some people would end up starving either that or build up a large stock of them
;)

Earl of Bronze
02-12-2004, 23:39
There may have been people within Catholicism who've suggested that but it's not a Vatican policy to view it that way.

And I know the rant wasn't aimed at me :)

Russ, a quick Link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=244474&postcount=24) to a post of mine on a similar subject. This was in relation to the Panorama program several months ago about the Vatican/ Catholicisms views on Aids and comdoms.

Macca371
02-12-2004, 23:51

Maybe not in so many words. But from what I was taught in the Catholic Christianity course in RE, sex is something which should be done only for the purpose of reproduction - no fun. And this is official vatican policy. No pleasure. Just for production of children. Which I believe is totally wrong. Gays, who of course cannot reproduce, are encouraged to become abstinent in the church. :td:

Plus monasteries and other such religious establishments were/are cleared as much as possible of any sexual distractions to stop people entertaining such 'evil' thoughts. I thought all this was to do with satan/temptation or something? Anyway we are drifting off topic...

Russ
03-12-2004, 01:18
Plus monasteries and other such religious establishments were/are cleared as much as possible of any sexual distractions to stop people entertaining such 'evil' thoughts. I thought all this was to do with satan/temptation or something? Anyway we are drifting off topic...

The bible says that if someone has a sexual thought about another person then they've as good as committed that sexual sin. So yes distractions are cleared but not because anyone is saying sex is 'evil'.

I really cannot fathom where people are getting that idea from.

kronas
03-12-2004, 01:22
i think because its precieved as a sin in the eyes of 'the lord' that people often say its evil, which i think is unfair and harsh.

'site of the night' news.com.au comes up trumphs again ;)

HE had been celibate almost his entire life but when a Buddhist monk finally decided to break his vow by going with a prostitute he managed to pick an undercover police officer.

Hoa Trung Nguyen, 47, from the Phap Bao Temple in Sydney's Cabramatta, even haggled with the would-be prostitute for a better deal on "full sex".

gets better:

Nguyen: "How much?"

Officer: "Do you want full sex?"

Nguyen: "Yes."

Officer: "$50"

Nguyen, after haggling the price down to $40: "Let's go."

Police then arrested him.

Nguyen admitted asking about price but blamed it on human curiosity

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11574670%255E13762,00.html

Russ
03-12-2004, 01:26
i think because its precieved as a sin in the eyes of 'the lord'

Where did you get that one from? The Bible plainly states that sex is a gift from God so where on earth is everyone getting these odd ideas from that it's "evil", and a "sin"??

greencreeper
03-12-2004, 01:32
I'm with Diamond - ban the nutters. Like I have said before - Catholicism would be a cult if it weren't for its history.

kronas
03-12-2004, 01:32
Where did you get that one from? The Bible plainly states that sex is a gift from God so where on earth is everyone getting these odd ideas from that it's "evil", and a "sin"??

i saw it as i read it on here, although to my interpretation its ok to do it for procreational reasons, but not for pleasure, or pleasuring ones self ? those two situations are sin ?

Russ
03-12-2004, 01:36
i saw it as i read it on here, although to my interpretation its ok to do it for procreational reasons, but not for pleasure, or pleasuring ones self ? those two situations are sin ?

As I've said, that might be the view of one or two vocal people in the Catholic faith but it does not reflect the views of the vatican's teaching.

It would be like my saying "Oh by the way, gay sex is ok now" then expecting all of Christianity to ignore what is written in the Bible and agree with me.

(Not having a dig at gay sex, just using it as an example).