PDA

View Full Version : puzzled - need help!

mutty_w4rez
02-12-2004, 17:09
Hey, I was all set to change from ntl to adsl with plus.net

however NTL offered me 6 months 1.5mb for half price, meaning I'd get it for like below £20 and also not have to pay about £100 for adsl installation and router. I use newsgroups alot and have found ntl to be poor as of late (which is why I wanted to change) but is 1.5mb on a different pipe? I'm currently on 600k, the idiots can't even find a record of me having it!

Anyhow, need some advise really, its a good offer, also I have a ntl 120 ambit modem, would they supply me with a new one?

Russ
02-12-2004, 17:13
Get the offer in writing. If this is not possible ask for the full name of the supervisor of the person who offered you this deal.

You'd keep the same modem and pipe but if the offer is as you say and it turns out to be a genuine deal then I say go for it!!

paulyoung666
02-12-2004, 17:15
it wont make any difference to newsgroups apart from the fact that if you do get a good connection you will get a faster download :)

mutty_w4rez
02-12-2004, 17:25
oh btw, you know when you use the installation disc so I can setup my modem on ethernet or usb. I need to input a "registration code" or something, I can't locate the letter with the code on, can NTL supply me with a new one? Cause I really need to use ethernet instead of usb imo.

Chris W
02-12-2004, 17:30
If you are just upgrading your speed (from your first post i assume you are a current customer) then you won't need to install the BB again.

If you are using a SACM it is just a case of rebooting the modem when the speed upgrade is done.

ian@huth
02-12-2004, 17:31
Ethernet is far better than USB and you do not need a NTL installation disc to use it, only the drivers for your ethernet card which should be on your system already. If you have used the system on USB then you don't need any code, just connect the ethernet cable and off you go.

yer nice one
02-12-2004, 19:12
At less than £20.00 per month, You can afford to pay for a decent news server, Instead of taking the Binaries out of NTL's :p

mutty_w4rez
03-12-2004, 00:19
Ethernet is far better than USB and you do not need a NTL installation disc to use it, only the drivers for your ethernet card which should be on your system already. If you have used the system on USB then you don't need any code, just connect the ethernet cable and off you go.
i tried that before, but it just wouldnt work for some odd reason. :/

But when I go to my mates my ethernet works fine on his network (he uses a router w/ adsl)

btw, to the post below yours, any recommendations on news servers?

yer nice one
03-12-2004, 09:09
There are several news servers which chargew a small fee... I use

http://www.easynews.com

I know it cost $10 pm, but its worth it, and you will never have any problems, Its worth a try, They ever offer 3 days free trial

Gareth
03-12-2004, 09:51
Bwahaha, just saw your nick and that you're interested in newsgroups. Heh, made me snigger :D :D :D

mutty_w4rez
03-12-2004, 14:57
about the ethernet, what way do i need to setup the windows networking feature with it?