PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards

Russ
23-08-2003, 09:50
Taking on a theme from another thread, I spotted this (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13324918_method=full_siteid=50143 _headline=-INNOCENT%2DMAN%2DJAILED%2DBY%2DEX%2DLOVER%2DS%2DLI ES-name_page.html) regarding a false accusation of rape. Despite overwelming evidence against the 'rape' within their possession (CCTV) the police did not examine it, instead chosing to believe the female 'victim'.

This lunacy must be stopped!!

edit - if the link doesn't seem to want to work, go to www.mirror.co.uk/news and scroll to the bottom to find "INNOCENT MAN JAILED BY EX-LOVER'S LIES"

TigaSefi
23-08-2003, 10:32
I went to school with that girl. She deaf and so am I. She was in my classes frequently. Her mother has to be seen to be believed. Can't believe the police didn't check her story. She was well known for spinning a yarn or two.

Jules
23-08-2003, 11:00
That mad me so angry on 2 counts the first that they treated a deaf person in such an appalling way as to not even have a signer there or any thing and because this woman lied about being raped!!!

It just makes it harder for a true raped victim to be believed

The Diplomat
23-08-2003, 12:54
12 months prison for the sl@g??????

How come Jeffrey Archer got 4 years then :mad:

Just shows that money is more important than people. :rolleyes:

Russ
23-08-2003, 13:14
Had he actually been guilty of rape, I'd say he'd have got a little bit more than 12 months....

Maggy
23-08-2003, 15:16
I really think that there should be a police Inquirey into the handling of the case.I think he should sue them too.At the very least he should make a formal complaint against the officers concerned.

Incog.

ntluser
26-08-2003, 17:59
Originally posted by Incognitas
I really think that there should be a police Inquirey into the handling of the case.I think he should sue them too.At the very least he should make a formal complaint against the officers concerned.

Incog.

When Michael Todd, the Chief Constable for Manchester publicly criticises the interviewing skills of his officers when interviewing suspects you do wonder just how efficient they are at investigating crimes and coming to the right outcome.

It doesn't help either that there is a lack of consistency in the sentences passed by judges not only between crimes of the same type but also between crimes of different types where a convicted felon can be jailed for a minor offence but given community service for a more serious one.

If the police were efficient in determining that a crime of rape had taken place then it's time judges had a minimum sentence for the crime, say 10 years without remission, and that this was consistently enforced.